Critical updates

I have changed from very fast cable to slow phone connection.

Even though I manage most downloads, I am unable to get Windows Update to
work.

The page open I click yes and then the screen stays with the message that it
is checking but never changes from 0%.

What cab going wrong?

I need to get the latest updates (I've been away for 2 months) and am Stuck.

I have 98SE

Help..
33 answers Last reply
More about critical updates

    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
    There is at least one mention of your condition there. Go look.

    Is your system clock/date correct? If it is off by a lot (months),
    Windows update will not work.

    Here is one thing to try... Most of the following shall never return
    again, and were work files, pre-V4 Windows Update:

    (a) "START, Settings, Folder Options, View tab"; bolt "Show all
    files" & UNcheck "Hide file extensions...".
    (b) Open Explorer to "C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate", and
    (c) Delete everything in this folder EXCEPT the V4 folder.
    (d) Open the V4 folder, and delete everything in it EXCEPT for the
    "iuhist.xml" file.

    Try the other measures in this URL...
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319585
    WINUP: "Software Update Incomplete, This Windows Update Software Did Not
    Update Successfully" Error Message When You Visit the Windows Update Web
    Site

    Here's another one...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q243787
    WINUP: Error Message: Cannot Display Page

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
    | I have changed from very fast cable to slow phone connection.
    |
    | Even though I manage most downloads, I am unable to get Windows Update
    | work.
    |
    | The page open I click yes and then the screen stays with the message
    that it
    | is checking but never changes from 0%.
    |
    | What cab going wrong?
    |
    | I need to get the latest updates (I've been away for 2 months) and am
    Stuck.

    | I have 98SE
    |

    | Help..

    Aside from PCR's advice, you could try the MS Corporate site for update.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/corporate.asp

    And for any IE updates:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/default.asp

    --

    Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://basconotw.mvps.org/

    Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
    >I have changed from very fast cable to slow phone connection.
    >
    > Even though I manage most downloads, I am unable to get Windows Update to
    > work.
    >
    > The page open I click yes and then the screen stays with the message that it
    > is checking but never changes from 0%.
    >
    > What cab going wrong?
    >
    > I need to get the latest updates (I've been away for 2 months) and am Stuck.
    >
    > I have 98SE
    >

    > Help..

    Hello and thanks

    I tried everything that you mesntioned and still the page hangs (not the
    computer) when I get to

    Windows Update is looking for an update 0% Complete

    I have Kerio Firewall (I have tries disabling it and McAfee) and Kerio shows
    that when I open M/S 4 ports open, say:
    all:1090, all: 1095, all: 1096, all: 1097

    and that they are connected out to proxy.power.clix.pt:80

    Now, Clix.pt is my current server. I never had any problems before with my
    previous cable provider. Could it be that it is Clix, the server that is
    blocking the download? Can't get through to them...

    I would have thought that Kerio would show the remore address as Microsoft
    and not Clix.

    Could that be the problem?

    Thank you very much

    > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
    > There is at least one mention of your condition there. Go look.
    >
    > Is your system clock/date correct? If it is off by a lot (months),
    > Windows update will not work.
    >
    > Here is one thing to try... Most of the following shall never return
    > again, and were work files, pre-V4 Windows Update:
    >
    > (a) "START, Settings, Folder Options, View tab"; bolt "Show all
    > files" & UNcheck "Hide file extensions...".
    > (b) Open Explorer to "C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate", and
    > (c) Delete everything in this folder EXCEPT the V4 folder.
    > (d) Open the V4 folder, and delete everything in it EXCEPT for the
    > "iuhist.xml" file.
    >
    > Try the other measures in this URL...
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319585
    > WINUP: "Software Update Incomplete, This Windows Update Software Did Not
    > Update Successfully" Error Message When You Visit the Windows Update Web
    > Site
    >
    > Here's another one...
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q243787
    > WINUP: Error Message: Cannot Display Page
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
    > | I have changed from very fast cable to slow phone connection.
    > |
    > | Even though I manage most downloads, I am unable to get Windows Update
    > | work.
    > |
    > | The page open I click yes and then the screen stays with the message
    > that it
    > | is checking but never changes from 0%.
    > |
    > | What cab going wrong?
    > |
    > | I need to get the latest updates (I've been away for 2 months) and am
    > Stuck.
    > |
    > | I have 98SE
    > |

    > | Help..

    Jorge

    Just a thought but since you were on a cable, check to see if some of
    your settings may have changed. In INTERNET EXPLORER, click on
    TOOLS/INTERNET OPTIONS/CONNECTIONS tab then click on LAN SETTINGS and
    make sure the checkmark is removed in
    "automatically detect settings".

    Hope this helps

> [...]
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q243787
    > > WINUP: Error Message: Cannot Display Page
    > >

    > > --
    > > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > > should things get worse after this,
    > > PCR
    > > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > > "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
    > > | I have changed from very fast cable to slow phone connection.
    > > |
    > > | Even though I manage most downloads, I am unable to get Windows
    Update
    > > | work.
    > > |
    > > | The page open I click yes and then the screen stays with the
    message
    > > that it
    > > | is checking but never changes from 0%.
    > > |
    > > | What cab going wrong?
    > > |
    > > | I need to get the latest updates (I've been away for 2 months)

    I'm not sure where you are seeing all that in Kerio, what tab? I
    couldn't see any ports opening during a scan for updates just now-- or
    any ports at all, actually. To see whether it's a Kerio setting/rule
    doing it, R-Clk Kerio in your Tray & disable it by selecting "EXIT".
    Then, I'll go looking for ports again, if that was it.

    (But I see below you suspect something else. Soon, I'll respond to
    that.)

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
    | Hello and thanks
    |
    | I tried everything that you mesntioned and still the page hangs (not
    the
    | computer) when I get to
    |
    | Windows Update is looking for an update 0% Complete
    |
    | I have Kerio Firewall (I have tries disabling it and McAfee) and Kerio
    shows
    | that when I open M/S 4 ports open, say:
    | all:1090, all: 1095, all: 1096, all: 1097
    |
    | and that they are connected out to proxy.power.clix.pt:80
    |
    | Now, Clix.pt is my current server. I never had any problems before
    with my
    | previous cable provider. Could it be that it is Clix, the server that
    is
    | blocking the download? Can't get through to them...
    |
    | I would have thought that Kerio would show the remore address as
    Microsoft
    | and not Clix.
    |
    | Could that be the problem?
    |
    | Thank you very much

    | > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
    | > There is at least one mention of your condition there. Go look.
    | >
    | > Is your system clock/date correct? If it is off by a lot (months),
    | > Windows update will not work.
    | >
    | > Here is one thing to try... Most of the following shall never return
    | > again, and were work files, pre-V4 Windows Update:
    | >
    | > (a) "START, Settings, Folder Options, View tab"; bolt "Show all
    | > files" & UNcheck "Hide file extensions...".
    | > (b) Open Explorer to "C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate", and
    | > (c) Delete everything in this folder EXCEPT the V4 folder.
    | > (d) Open the V4 folder, and delete everything in it EXCEPT for
    the
    | > "iuhist.xml" file.
    | >
    | > Try the other measures in this URL...
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319585
    | > WINUP: "Software Update Incomplete, This Windows Update Software Did
    Not
    | > Update Successfully" Error Message When You Visit the Windows Update
    Web
    | > Site
    | >
    | > Here's another one...
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q243787
    | > WINUP: Error Message: Cannot Display Page
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
    | > | I have changed from very fast cable to slow phone connection.
    | > |
    | > | Even though I manage most downloads, I am unable to get Windows
    Update
    | > | work.
    | > |
    | > | The page open I click yes and then the screen stays with the
    message
    | > that it
    | > | is checking but never changes from 0%.
    | > |
    | > | What cab going wrong?
    | > |
    | > | I need to get the latest updates (I've been away for 2 months) and
    am
    | > Stuck.
    | > |
    | > | I have 98SE
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | Help..
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |

    OK, I see it now. Windows Update does open new ports for IE that show in
    Kerio. Windows Update was through & the ports disappeared before I could
    jot them down. It looked like ports 443 & 80, maybe.

    I doubt that is the problem, but try that EXIT button, before I give it
    another go.

    --
    | I'm not sure where you are seeing all that in Kerio, what tab? I
    | couldn't see any ports opening during a scan for updates just now-- or
    | any ports at all, actually. To see whether it's a Kerio setting/rule
    | doing it, R-Clk Kerio in your Tray & disable it by selecting "EXIT".
    | Then, I'll go looking for ports again, if that was it.
    |
    | (But I see below you suspect something else. Soon, I'll respond to
    | that.)
    |

    | --
    | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | should things get worse after this,
    | PCR
    | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
    | | Hello and thanks
    | |
    | | I tried everything that you mesntioned and still the page hangs (not
    | the
    | | computer) when I get to
    | |
    | | Windows Update is looking for an update 0% Complete
    | |
    | | I have Kerio Firewall (I have tries disabling it and McAfee) and
    Kerio
    | shows
    | | that when I open M/S 4 ports open, say:
    | | all:1090, all: 1095, all: 1096, all: 1097
    | |
    | | and that they are connected out to proxy.power.clix.pt:80
    | |
    | | Now, Clix.pt is my current server. I never had any problems before
    | with my
    | | previous cable provider. Could it be that it is Clix, the server
    that
    | is
    | | blocking the download? Can't get through to them...
    | |
    | | I would have thought that Kerio would show the remore address as
    | Microsoft
    | | and not Clix.
    | |
    | | Could that be the problem?
    | |
    | | Thank you very much
    | |
    | |
    | |
    | |
    | | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    | | > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
    | | > There is at least one mention of your condition there. Go look.
    | | >
    | | > Is your system clock/date correct? If it is off by a lot (months),
    | | > Windows update will not work.
    | | >
    | | > Here is one thing to try... Most of the following shall never
    return
    | | > again, and were work files, pre-V4 Windows Update:
    | | >
    | | > (a) "START, Settings, Folder Options, View tab"; bolt "Show all
    | | > files" & UNcheck "Hide file extensions...".
    | | > (b) Open Explorer to "C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate", and
    | | > (c) Delete everything in this folder EXCEPT the V4 folder.
    | | > (d) Open the V4 folder, and delete everything in it EXCEPT for
    | the
    | | > "iuhist.xml" file.
    | | >
    | | > Try the other measures in this URL...
    | | > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319585
    | | > WINUP: "Software Update Incomplete, This Windows Update Software
    Did
    | Not
    | | > Update Successfully" Error Message When You Visit the Windows
    Update
    | Web
    | | > Site
    | | >
    | | > Here's another one...
    | | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q243787
    | | > WINUP: Error Message: Cannot Display Page
    | | >

    | | > --
    | | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | | > should things get worse after this,
    | | > PCR
    | | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | | > "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
    | | > |
    | Update
    | | > |
    | message
    | | > that it
    | | > |
    | | > |
    and
    | am
    | | > Stuck.
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |

    | |
    | |

    Thanks

    I checked it and it was ok, unchecked.

    It seems to me that something is missing. Some file, I don't know.

    Is it possible to uninstall the update engine and reinstall? If such a
    thing exists...

    Jorge

    "Dapper Dan" <dapperdan@home.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > > again, and were work files, pre-V4 Windows Update:
    > > >
    > > > (a) "START, Settings, Folder Options, View tab"; bolt "Show all
    > > > files" & UNcheck "Hide file extensions...".
    > > > (b) Open Explorer to "C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate", and
    > > > (c) Delete everything in this folder EXCEPT the V4 folder.
    > > > (d) Open the V4 folder, and delete everything in it EXCEPT for
    > the
    > > > "iuhist.xml" file.
    > > >
    > > > Try the other measures in this URL...
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319585
    > > > WINUP: "Software Update Incomplete, This Windows Update Software
    > Did Not
    > > > Update Successfully" Error Message When You Visit the Windows
    > Update Web
    > > > Site
    > > >
    > > > Here's another one...
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q243787
    > > > WINUP: Error Message: Cannot Display Page

    Hello PCR/Brian/Dapper Dan

    I think I found out what the problem is:
    http://www.support.microsoft.com/kb/241783/EN-US/

    It looks as my server is blocking the download.

    Now I don't know how to go about points 1 and 2 of the Resolution

    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, follow these steps:

    1. Clear the proxy cache and configure it to exclude the Windows Update
    site.

    Note See your software documentation or contact the software manufacturer if
    you want help with the proxy server or firewall software configuration.

    2. Open port 80.
    3. Add Windows Update to the Trusted Sites Zone.

    Can you help?

    > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
    > There is at least one mention of your condition there. Go look.
    >
    > Is your system clock/date correct? If it is off by a lot (months),
    > Windows update will not work.
    >
    > Here is one thing to try... Most of the following shall never return
    > again, and were work files, pre-V4 Windows Update:
    >
    > (a) "START, Settings, Folder Options, View tab"; bolt "Show all
    > files" & UNcheck "Hide file extensions...".
    > (b) Open Explorer to "C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate", and
    > (c) Delete everything in this folder EXCEPT the V4 folder.
    > (d) Open the V4 folder, and delete everything in it EXCEPT for the
    > "iuhist.xml" file.
    >
    > Try the other measures in this URL...
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319585
    > WINUP: "Software Update Incomplete, This Windows Update Software Did Not
    > Update Successfully" Error Message When You Visit the Windows Update Web
    > Site
    >
    > Here's another one...
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q243787
    > WINUP: Error Message: Cannot Display Page
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
    > | I have changed from very fast cable to slow phone connection.
    > |
    > | Even though I manage most downloads, I am unable to get Windows Update
    > | work.
    > |
    > | The page open I click yes and then the screen stays with the message
    > that it
    > | is checking but never changes from 0%.
    > |
    > | What cab going wrong?
    > |
    > | I need to get the latest updates (I've been away for 2 months) and am
    > Stuck.
    > |
    > | I have 98SE
    > |

    > | Help..

    I don't know about your proxy server. I'm sure we can figure how to get
    it right in Kerio, if that proves to be the problem. What shows at
    "R-Clk Kerio in Tray, Administration, Advanced button, Microsoft
    Networking button"?

    Well, are you tried BOTH solutions at...
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

    This is the easier one...
    ........Quote.............
    Problem Description:
    The Scan function hangs at 0%

    Resolutions:
    Suggestion 1:

    Install the latest scripting engine 5.6 from:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp

    Suggestion 2:

    Repair Internet Explorer

    1. Open up Control Panel.
    2. Open Add/remove programs.
    3. Select Microsoft Internet Explorer and Internet Tools.
    4. Click Add/remove.
    5. Click Repair.
    6. Follow the steps provided by the Repair Wizard.
    7. Click OK
    ........EOQ...............

    And, here is the tougher....
    ........Quote..............
    Problem Description:
    After clicking Scan for Updates, you receive this message: "Windows
    Update is looking for available updates... 0% complete.". Then the site
    stops communicating.

    Resolutions:
    There are several possible solutions to this problem.

    Install the latest scripting engine 5.6 from:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp
    --------
    If you have Netsonic on your computer, uninstall it.
    --------
    If you have not installed the latest version of Windows Update software,
    follow the
    instructions in the article "Manual installation instructions for
    Windows Update controls" on this page.
    --------
    Disable the options "Automatically detect settings" and "Use automatic
    configuration script."
    To do this:
    1. Open Internet Explorer.
    2. Click "Tools," and then click "Internet Options."
    3. Click "Connections," and then click "LAN Settings."
    4. Make sure the check boxes for "Automatically detect settings" and
    "Use automatic configuration script" are not selected.

    Try to access the Windows Update site again.

    Also, verify that you can connect to SSL-enabled Web sites (sites that
    start with https://).

    Most online retailers use SSL (Secure Socket Layer) sites during the
    checkout/payment process. If you've connected to one of these sites in
    the past then chances are that SSL is working correctly on your
    computer. You can also test your ability to connect to SSL sites using
    a SSL test site like this:

    https://www.stanford.edu/group/idg/leland/samples/secure/test.html

    If you cannot connect to SSL sites then the Windows Update scan will not
    work. Make sure that the SSL port (port 443) is open on your network.
    ........EOQ................

    --
    | Hello PCR/Brian/Dapper Dan
    |

    | I think I found out what the problem is:
    | http://www.support.microsoft.com/kb/241783/EN-US/
    |
    | It looks as my server is blocking the download.
    |
    | Now I don't know how to go about points 1 and 2 of the Resolution
    |
    | RESOLUTION
    | To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
    |
    | 1. Clear the proxy cache and configure it to exclude the Windows
    Update
    | site.
    |
    | Note See your software documentation or contact the software
    manufacturer if
    | you want help with the proxy server or firewall software
    configuration.

    | 2. Open port 80.
    | 3. Add Windows Update to the Trusted Sites Zone.
    |

    | Can you help?

    | > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
    | > There is at least one mention of your condition there. Go look.
    | >
    | > Is your system clock/date correct? If it is off by a lot (months),
    | > Windows update will not work.
    | >
    | > Here is one thing to try... Most of the following shall never return
    | > again, and were work files, pre-V4 Windows Update:
    | >
    | > (a) "START, Settings, Folder Options, View tab"; bolt "Show all
    | > files" & UNcheck "Hide file extensions...".
    | > (b) Open Explorer to "C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate", and
    | > (c) Delete everything in this folder EXCEPT the V4 folder.
    | > (d) Open the V4 folder, and delete everything in it EXCEPT for
    the
    | > "iuhist.xml" file.
    | >
    | > Try the other measures in this URL...
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319585
    | > WINUP: "Software Update Incomplete, This Windows Update Software Did
    Not
    | > Update Successfully" Error Message When You Visit the Windows Update
    Web
    | > Site
    | >
    | > Here's another one...
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q243787
    | > WINUP: Error Message: Cannot Display Page
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
    | > | I have changed from very fast cable to slow phone connection.
    | > |
    | > | Even though I manage most downloads, I am unable to get Windows
    Update
    | > | work.
    | > |
    | > | The page open I click yes and then the screen stays with the
    message
    | > that it
    | > | is checking but never changes from 0%.
    | > |
    | > | What cab going wrong?
    | > |
    | > | I need to get the latest updates (I've been away for 2 months) and
    am
    | > Stuck.
    | > |
    | > | I have 98SE
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | Help..
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |

    Hello PCR

    I'm not sure I understood your message. I did try the download with and
    without Kerio being on.

    But did you see my previous message? It seems it has to do with the proxy
    Server on the Service Provider.

    Problem is I don't know how to go through points 1 and 2 of the Resolution
    that I pasted before.

    Can you help there?

    Thanks

    Jorge

> [...]
    > | >
    > | > (a) "START, Settings, Folder Options, View tab"; bolt "Show all
    > | > files" & UNcheck "Hide file extensions...".
    > | > (b) Open Explorer to "C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate", and
    > | > (c) Delete everything in this folder EXCEPT the V4 folder.
    > | > (d) Open the V4 folder, and delete everything in it EXCEPT for
    > the
    > | > "iuhist.xml" file.
    > | >
    > | > Try the other measures in this URL...
    > | > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319585
    > | > WINUP: "Software Update Incomplete, This Windows Update Software Did
    > Not
    > | > Update Successfully" Error Message When You Visit the Windows Update
    > Web
    > | > Site
    > | >
    > | > Here's another one...
    > | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q243787
    > | > WINUP: Error Message: Cannot Display Page

    You've proven it isn't Kerio doing it, then. I'm not sure I can figure
    your proxy server settings. See the other portion of this thread.

    --
    | Hello PCR
    |
    | I'm not sure I understood your message. I did try the download with
    and
    | without Kerio being on.
    |
    | But did you see my previous message? It seems it has to do with the
    proxy
    | Server on the Service Provider.
    |
    | Problem is I don't know how to go through points 1 and 2 of the
    Resolution
    | that I pasted before.
    |
    | Can you help there?
    |

    | Thanks
    |
    | Jorge

    | > I'm not sure where you are seeing all that in Kerio, what tab? I
    | > couldn't see any ports opening during a scan for updates just now--
    or
    | > any ports at all, actually. To see whether it's a Kerio setting/rule
    | > doing it, R-Clk Kerio in your Tray & disable it by selecting "EXIT".
    | > Then, I'll go looking for ports again, if that was it.
    | >
    | > (But I see below you suspect something else. Soon, I'll respond to
    | > that.)
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
    | > | Hello and thanks
    | > |
    | > | I tried everything that you mesntioned and still the page hangs
    (not
    | > the
    | > | computer) when I get to
    | > |
    | > | Windows Update is looking for an update 0% Complete
    | > |
    | > | I have Kerio Firewall (I have tries disabling it and McAfee) and
    Kerio
    | > shows
    | > | that when I open M/S 4 ports open, say:
    | > | all:1090, all: 1095, all: 1096, all: 1097
    | > |
    | > | and that they are connected out to proxy.power.clix.pt:80
    | > |
    | > | Now, Clix.pt is my current server. I never had any problems
    before
    | > with my
    | > | previous cable provider. Could it be that it is Clix, the server
    that
    | > is
    | > | blocking the download? Can't get through to them...
    | > |
    | > | I would have thought that Kerio would show the remore address as
    | > Microsoft
    | > | and not Clix.
    | > |
    | > | Could that be the problem?
    | > |
    | > | Thank you very much
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

    | > the

    Did
    | > Not
    Update
    | > Web

    | > | > |
    Windows
    | > Update
    | > | > |
    | > message
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    and
    | > am
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > |

    Hello PCR

    First: YES I did all those below and did not help. I hoped the "The scan
    function hangs at 0%" would solve it all as it is exactly what isd
    happening, but it did not!

    Now, Kerio (As I told you I have tried to download with Kerio off, so I
    guess what is in the M/S Networking button might not be very useful)

    Allow Microsoft networking Name resolution = checked
    From trusted addresses only = checked

    Allow other users to accesss my shared folders/ printers = checked (I had
    two computers networking before)

    From trustee adresses only = checked

    Trusted address group = 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0

    Hope it helps.

    Jorge

> [...]
    > | >
    > | > (a) "START, Settings, Folder Options, View tab"; bolt "Show all
    > | > files" & UNcheck "Hide file extensions...".
    > | > (b) Open Explorer to "C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate", and
    > | > (c) Delete everything in this folder EXCEPT the V4 folder.
    > | > (d) Open the V4 folder, and delete everything in it EXCEPT for
    > the
    > | > "iuhist.xml" file.
    > | >
    > | > Try the other measures in this URL...
    > | > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319585
    > | > WINUP: "Software Update Incomplete, This Windows Update Software Did
    > Not
    > | > Update Successfully" Error Message When You Visit the Windows Update
    > Web
    > | > Site
    > | >
    > | > Here's another one...
    > | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q243787
    > | > WINUP: Error Message: Cannot Display Page

    Well, if you are Networking, I suppose your settings are rightfully
    different from mine. I am only checked... "For Microsoft Networking Use
    These Rules Instead of Filter Rules". And my trusted addresses are a tad
    different. But you had Kerio exited, & the problem persisted. Therefore,
    it can't be that.

    I guess you must get a response from your proxy server as to what those
    rules should be.

    Too bad "The scan function hangs at 0%" didn't work. You did try
    "Windows Update is looking for available updates... 0% complete"? What
    were your "LAN Settings"? Actually, I am only checked "Automatically
    detect settings" there. I suppose you are checked to use the proxy
    server, right? Here is the blurb for that...

    "Specifies to connect to the Internet through a proxy server by using
    the settings you specify. A proxy server acts as an intermediary between
    your internal network (intranet) and the Internet, retrieving files from
    remote Web servers."

    --
> [...]
    | > "Use automatic configuration script" are not selected.
    | >
    | > Try to access the Windows Update site again.
    | >
    | > Also, verify that you can connect to SSL-enabled Web sites (sites
    that
    | > start with https://).
    | >
    | > Most online retailers use SSL (Secure Socket Layer) sites during the
    | > checkout/payment process. If you've connected to one of these sites
    in
    | > the past then chances are that SSL is working correctly on your
    | > computer. You can also test your ability to connect to SSL sites
    using
    | > a SSL test site like this:
    | >
    | > https://www.stanford.edu/group/idg/leland/samples/secure/test.html
    | >
    | > If you cannot connect to SSL sites then the Windows Update scan will
    not
    | > work. Make sure that the SSL port (port 443) is open on your

    | > |
    | > |
    | > | I think I found out what the problem is:
    | > | http://www.support.microsoft.com/kb/241783/EN-US/
    | > |
    | > | It looks as my server is blocking the download.
    | > |
    | > | Now I don't know how to go about points 1 and 2 of the Resolution
    | > |
    | > | RESOLUTION
    | > | To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
    | > |
    | > | 1. Clear the proxy cache and configure it to exclude the Windows
    | > Update
    | > | site.
    | > |
    | > | Note See your software documentation or contact the software
    | > manufacturer if
    | > | you want help with the proxy server or firewall software
    | > configuration.
    | > |
    | > | 2. Open port 80.
    | > | 3. Add Windows Update to the Trusted Sites Zone.
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | Can you help?
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

    | > the

    Did
    | > Not
    Update
    | > Web

    | > | > |
    Windows
    | > Update
    | > | > |
    | > message
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    and
    | > am
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > |

    (Re)Install the latest scripting engine 5.6 from:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp

    "Scan Hangs at 0%" and "Scan for updates freezes or stops at 0%"
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    Jorge wrote:
    > Even though I manage most downloads, I am unable to get Windows Update to
    > work.
    >
    > The page open I click yes and then the screen stays with the message that
    > it is checking but never changes from 0%.

    Thanks Robear

    I had already tried most of those.

    The only query I have now is

    Also, verify that you can connect to SSL-enabled Web sites (sites that start
    with https://).

    Most online retailers use SSL (Secure Socket Layer) sites during the
    checkout/payment process. If you've connected to one of these sites in the
    past then chances are that SSL is working correctly on your computer. You
    can also test your ability to connect to SSL sites using a SSL test site
    like this:

    https://www.stanford.edu/group/idg/leland/samples/secure/test.html

    If you cannot connect to SSL sites then the Windows Update scan will not
    work. Make sure that the SSL port (port 443) is open on your network.

    I tried that site but got a wrong messge. I'm not sure if that means I can
    or cannot access SSL sites.
    Also I don't know how to make sure port 443 is open

    Can you help?

    Thank you

    Jorge

    > (Re)Install the latest scripting engine 5.6 from:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp

    > "Scan Hangs at 0%" and "Scan for updates freezes or stops at 0%"
    > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
    >
    > Jorge wrote:
    > > Even though I manage most downloads, I am unable to get Windows Update
    > > work.
    > >
    > > The page open I click yes and then the screen stays with the message
    that
    > > it is checking but never changes from 0%.

    > I had already tried most of those.

    Have you now tried all of them? Have you tried temporarily disabling your
    anti-virus application and/or firewall? (Be careful!)

    > I tried that site but got a wrong messge.

    Object Not Found/Error 404? (Me, too.)

    Can you reach https://windowsupdate.microsoft.com or, e.g., your online
    banking web-pages? If so, SSL is working.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    Jorge wrote:
    > I had already tried most of those.
    >
    > The only query I have now is
    > [<QP>]
    > Also, verify that you can connect to SSL-enabled Web sites (sites that
    > start with https://).
    >
    > Most online retailers use SSL (Secure Socket Layer) sites during the
    > checkout/payment process. If you've connected to one of these sites in the
    > past then chances are that SSL is working correctly on your computer. You
    > can also test your ability to connect to SSL sites using a SSL test site
    > like this:
    >
    > https://www.stanford.edu/group/idg/leland/samples/secure/test.html
    >
    > If you cannot connect to SSL sites then the Windows Update scan will not
    > work. Make sure that the SSL port (port 443) is open on your network.
    > [/QP]
    > I tried that site but got a wrong messge. I'm not sure if that means I
    > can or cannot access SSL sites.
    > Also I don't know how to make sure port 443 is open

    > > (Re)Install the latest scripting engine 5.6 from:
    > >
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp
    > >
    > > "Scan Hangs at 0%" and "Scan for updates freezes or stops at 0%"
    > > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
    > > --
    > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
    > >
    > > Jorge wrote:
    > > > Even though I manage most downloads, I am unable to get Windows
    > > > Update to work.
    > > >
    > > > The page open I click yes and then the screen stays with the message
    > > > that it is checking but never changes from 0%.

    Note that KB241783 applies to WinNT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition and
    not Win98. A Proxy Server is not the same thing as a dial-up connection
    using a proxy:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;164084#XSLTH3124121121120121120120.
    Your ISP may use a Proxy Server but you can neither clear its Proxy Cache
    nor configure it to exclude Windows Update website.

    Can you confirm that you're using a proxy with your dial-up connection?
    (Tip: Disable any "internet accelerators")

    You would "open Port 80" via your Kerio firewall.

    Did you add all of the following to Trusted Sites?

    http://www.download.windowsupdate.com
    http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    https://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    http://download.windowsupdate.com

    What's the new dial-up ISP and did you install any ISP-provided software?
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    Jorge wrote:
    > I think I found out what the problem is:
    > http://www.support.microsoft.com/kb/241783/EN-US/
    >
    > It looks as my server is blocking the download.
    >
    > Now I don't know how to go about points 1 and 2 of the Resolution
    >
    > RESOLUTION
    > To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
    >
    > 1. Clear the proxy cache and configure it to exclude the Windows Update
    > site.
    >
    > Note See your software documentation or contact the software manufacturer
    > if you want help with the proxy server or firewall software configuration.
    >
    > 2. Open port 80.
    > 3. Add Windows Update to the Trusted Sites Zone.
    >

    > Can you help?
    >

    > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
    > > There is at least one mention of your condition there. Go look.
    > >
    > > Is your system clock/date correct? If it is off by a lot (months),
    > > Windows update will not work.
    > >
    > > Here is one thing to try... Most of the following shall never return
    > > again, and were work files, pre-V4 Windows Update:
    > >
    > > (a) "START, Settings, Folder Options, View tab"; bolt "Show all
    > > files" & UNcheck "Hide file extensions...".
    > > (b) Open Explorer to "C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate", and
    > > (c) Delete everything in this folder EXCEPT the V4 folder.
    > > (d) Open the V4 folder, and delete everything in it EXCEPT for the
    > > "iuhist.xml" file.
    > >
    > > Try the other measures in this URL...
    > > WINUP: "Software Update Incomplete, This Windows Update Software Did Not
    > > Update Successfully" Error Message When You Visit the Windows Update Web
    > > Site
    > >
    > > Here's another one...
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q243787
    > > WINUP: Error Message: Cannot Display Page
    > >

    > > --
    > > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > > should things get worse after this,
    > > PCR
    > > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > > "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
    > > > I have changed from very fast cable to slow phone connection.
    > > >
    > > > Even though I manage most downloads, I am unable to get Windows
    > > > Update to work.
    > > >
    > > > The page open I click yes and then the screen stays with the message
    > > > that it is checking but never changes from 0%.
    > > >
    > > > What cab going wrong?
    > > >
    > > > I need to get the latest updates (I've been away for 2 months) and am
    > > > Stuck.
    > > >
    > > > I have 98SE
    > > >

    > > > Help..

    Hi

    Yes I can get to my Bank and transfer money etc.

    I also manage to download everything, including McAfee's updates.

    I have tried disabling Anti Virus/Firewall and no diff.

    Did you read my earlier message about Proxy Servers?

    I'll paste it again:

    I think I found out what the problem is:
    http://www.support.microsoft.com/kb/241783/EN-US/

    It looks as my server is blocking the download.

    Now I don't know how to go about points 1 and 2 of the Resolution

    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, follow these steps:

    1. Clear the proxy cache and configure it to exclude the Windows Update
    site.

    Note See your software documentation or contact the software manufacturer if
    you want help with the proxy server or firewall software configuration.

    2. Open port 80.
    3. Add Windows Update to the Trusted Sites Zone.

    Can you help?

    How do I clear the proxy cache? And how do I open port 80?

    thanks

    > > I had already tried most of those.
    >
    > Have you now tried all of them? Have you tried temporarily disabling your
    > anti-virus application and/or firewall? (Be careful!)
    >
    > > I tried that site but got a wrong messge.
    >
    > Object Not Found/Error 404? (Me, too.)
    >
    > Can you reach https://windowsupdate.microsoft.com or, e.g., your online
    > banking web-pages? If so, SSL is working.
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
    >
    > Jorge wrote:
    > > I had already tried most of those.
    > >
    > > The only query I have now is
    > > [<QP>]
    > > Also, verify that you can connect to SSL-enabled Web sites (sites that
    > > start with https://).
    > >
    > > Most online retailers use SSL (Secure Socket Layer) sites during the
    > > checkout/payment process. If you've connected to one of these sites in
    the
    > > past then chances are that SSL is working correctly on your computer.
    You
    > > can also test your ability to connect to SSL sites using a SSL test site
    > > like this:
    > >
    > > https://www.stanford.edu/group/idg/leland/samples/secure/test.html
    > >
    > > If you cannot connect to SSL sites then the Windows Update scan will not
    > > work. Make sure that the SSL port (port 443) is open on your network.
    > > [/QP]
    > > I tried that site but got a wrong messge. I'm not sure if that means I
    > > can or cannot access SSL sites.
    > > Also I don't know how to make sure port 443 is open
    >
    > > "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > (Re)Install the latest scripting engine 5.6 from:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp

    > > > "Scan Hangs at 0%" and "Scan for updates freezes or stops at 0%"
    > > > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
    > > > --
    > > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

    As PA said elsewhere in this thread (& you didn't answer his questions
    there)...
    .......Quote.........
    Did you add all of the following to Trusted Sites?

    http://www.download.windowsupdate.com
    http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    https://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    http://download.windowsupdate.com
    .......EOQ...........

    I've never found a need to do it, but...

    (1) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Security tab"
    (2) Click "Trusted Sites" in the "Select a Web content zone..." window.
    (3) Click the "Sites" button, & copy/paste those URLs into it.

    Also, port 80 seems to open & close as needed automatically (shown in
    Kerio) when I go to Windows Update.

    --

> [...]
    sites in
    | the
    | > > past then chances are that SSL is working correctly on your
    computer.
    | You
    | > > can also test your ability to connect to SSL sites using a SSL
    test site
    | > > like this:
    | > >
    | > > https://www.stanford.edu/group/idg/leland/samples/secure/test.html
    | > >
    | > > If you cannot connect to SSL sites then the Windows Update scan
    will not
    | > > work. Make sure that the SSL port (port 443) is open on your
    network.
    | > > [/QP]
    | > > I tried that site but got a wrong messge. I'm not sure if that
    means I
    | > > can or cannot access SSL sites.
    | > > Also I don't know how to make sure port 443 is open

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    PCR wrote:
    > As PA said elsewhere in this thread (& you didn't answer his questions
    > there)...
    <snip>
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I've already hinted I know nothing of proxy issues. Let this thread be
    on your head, now, PA! OK, bye.

    --

    | PCR wrote:
    | > As PA said elsewhere in this thread (& you didn't answer his
    questions
    | > there)...
    | <snip>
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Hello PA Bear

    First I paste something I wrote before regarding proxy

    I have Kerio Firewall (I have tries disabling it and McAfee) and Kerio shows
    that when I open M/S 4 ports open, say:
    all:1090, all: 1095, all: 1096, all: 1097

    and that they are connected out to proxy.power.clix.pt:80

    Now, Clix.pt is my current server. I never had any problems before with my
    previous cable provider. Could it be that it is Clix, the server that is
    blocking the download? Can't get through to them...

    I would have thought that Kerio would show the remore address as Microsoft
    and not Clix.

    Could that be the problem?

    ---

    Port 80 : I guess we can forget about that as I tried with Firewall off and
    it still did not download

    Trusted sites http://*.microsoft.com

    As for: What's the new dial-up ISP and did you install any ISP-provided
    software?

    ISP is www.clix.pt

    They may have downloaded something without my knowing. The problem only
    started when I changed over to them.
    I also at the same time downloaded Skype, but don't see how that could
    affect it.

    Something seems to be blocking access, but according to AdAware, McAdee,
    Houseclean my system is ok.

    Any help much appreciated. I don't like to give up.

    Jorge

> [...]
    > > > again, and were work files, pre-V4 Windows Update:
    > > >
    > > > (a) "START, Settings, Folder Options, View tab"; bolt "Show all
    > > > files" & UNcheck "Hide file extensions...".
    > > > (b) Open Explorer to "C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate", and
    > > > (c) Delete everything in this folder EXCEPT the V4 folder.
    > > > (d) Open the V4 folder, and delete everything in it EXCEPT for the
    > > > "iuhist.xml" file.
    > > >
    > > > Try the other measures in this URL...
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319585
    > > > WINUP: "Software Update Incomplete, This Windows Update Software Did
    Not
    > > > Update Successfully" Error Message When You Visit the Windows Update
    Web
    > > > Site
    > > >
    > > > Here's another one...
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q243787
    > > > WINUP: Error Message: Cannot Display Page

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pt.ie,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > ...proxy.power.clix.pt:80

    This tells us that you are indeed connecting via a proxy. You may have
    installed an "internet accelerator" offered by clix.pt. Such accelerators
    are seldom free and ISPs usually don't install anything without your
    permission.

    My research indicates that you can contact the Proxy Cache Administrator at
    proxy@isp.novis.pt. (clix.pt actually points to novis.pt as its real
    owner).

    Do you know others who use the same ISP (dial-up)? Are they having similar
    problems reaching Windows Update?

    IE-specific newsgroup for speakers of Portugese:
    news://msnews.microsoft.com/http://novis.pt/ (to which I have crossposted
    this reply).
    --
    ~PA Bear

    Jorge wrote:
> [...]
    > >
    > > What's the new dial-up ISP and did you install any ISP-provided
    > > software? --
    > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
    > >
    > > Jorge wrote:
    > > > I think I found out what the problem is:
    > > > http://www.support.microsoft.com/kb/241783/EN-US/
    > > >
    > > > It looks as my server is blocking the download.
    > > >
    > > > Now I don't know how to go about points 1 and 2 of the Resolution
    > > >
    > > > RESOLUTION
    > > > To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
    > > >
    > > > 1. Clear the proxy cache and configure it to exclude the Windows
    > > > Update site.
    > > >
    > > > Note See your software documentation or contact the software
    > > > manufacturer if you want help with the proxy server or firewall
    > > > software configuration.
    > > >
    > > > 2. Open port 80.
    > > > 3. Add Windows Update to the Trusted Sites Zone.

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pt.ie,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Jorge,

    Também estou no Clix ADSL e não tenho, nem nunca tive, problemas com o
    Windows Update.

    In English:
    I'm using the same ISP, Clix ADSL, and don't have, never had, problems with
    Windows Update.

    Zee

> [...]
    > > > connection using a proxy:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;164084#XSLTH3124121121120121120120.
    > > > Your ISP may use a Proxy Server but you can neither clear its Proxy
    > > > Cache nor configure it to exclude Windows Update website.
    > > >
    > > > Can you confirm that you're using a proxy with your dial-up
    connection?
    > > > (Tip: Disable any "internet accelerators")
    > > >
    > > > You would "open Port 80" via your Kerio firewall.
    > > >
    > > > Did you add all of the following to Trusted Sites?
    > > >
    > > > http://www.download.windowsupdate.com
    > > > http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    > > > https://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    > > > http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    > > > http://download.windowsupdate.com
    > > >
    > > > What's the new dial-up ISP and did you install any ISP-provided
    > > > software? --
    > > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pt.ie,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Jorge não está usando o ADSL, Zee, mas "dial-up".
    --
    ~PA Bear

    oops!! wrote:
    > Jorge,
    >
    > Também estou no Clix ADSL e não tenho, nem nunca tive, problemas com o
    > Windows Update.
    >
    > In English:
    > I'm using the same ISP, Clix ADSL, and don't have, never had, problems
    > with Windows Update.
    >
    > Zee

    > > > ...proxy.power.clix.pt:80
    > >
    > > This tells us that you are indeed connecting via a proxy. You may have
    > > installed an "internet accelerator" offered by clix.pt. Such
    > > accelerators are seldom free and ISPs usually don't install anything
    > > without your permission.
    > >
    > > My research indicates that you can contact the Proxy Cache
    > > Administrator at proxy@isp.novis.pt. (clix.pt actually points to
    > > novis.pt as its real owner).
    > >
    > > Do you know others who use the same ISP (dial-up)? Are they having
    > > similar problems reaching Windows Update?
    > >
    > > IE-specific newsgroup for speakers of Portugese:
    > > news://msnews.microsoft.com/http://novis.pt/ (to which I have
    > > crossposted this reply).
    > > --
    > > ~PA Bear
    > >
    > > Jorge wrote:
    > > > Hello PA Bear
    > > >
    > > > First I paste something I wrote before regarding proxy
    > > >
    > > > I have Kerio Firewall (I have tries disabling it and McAfee) and Kerio
    > > > shows that when I open M/S 4 ports open, say:
    > > > all:1090, all: 1095, all: 1096, all: 1097
    > > >
    > > > and that they are connected out to proxy.power.clix.pt:80
    > > >
    > > > Now, Clix.pt is my current server. I never had any problems before
    > > > with my previous cable provider. Could it be that it is Clix, the
    > > > server that is blocking the download? Can't get through to them...
    > > >
    > > > I would have thought that Kerio would show the remore address as
    > > > Microsoft and not Clix.
    > > >
    > > > Could that be the problem?
    > > >
    > > > ---
    > > >
    > > > Port 80 : I guess we can forget about that as I tried with Firewall
    > > > off and it still did not download
    > > >
    > > > Trusted sites http://*.microsoft.com
    > > >
    > > > As for: What's the new dial-up ISP and did you install any
    > > > ISP-provided software?
    > > >
    > > > ISP is www.clix.pt
    > > >
    > > > They may have downloaded something without my knowing. The problem
    > > > only started when I changed over to them.
    > > > I also at the same time downloaded Skype, but don't see how that could
    > > > affect it.
    > > >
    > > > Something seems to be blocking access, but according to AdAware,
    > > > McAdee, Houseclean my system is ok.
    > > >

    > > > Any help much appreciated. I don't like to give up.
    > > >

    > > > Jorge
    > > >

    > > > "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > >

    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;164084#XSLTH3124121121120121120120.

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pt.ie,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    But, I'm using the same proxy...??

    Zee

    > Jorge não está usando o ADSL, Zee, mas "dial-up".
    > --
    > ~PA Bear
    >
    > oops!! wrote:
    > > Jorge,
    > >
    > > Também estou no Clix ADSL e não tenho, nem nunca tive, problemas com o
    > > Windows Update.
    > >
    > > In English:
    > > I'm using the same ISP, Clix ADSL, and don't have, never had, problems
    > > with Windows Update.
    > >
    > > Zee
    > >

    > > "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > This tells us that you are indeed connecting via a proxy. You may
    have
    > > > installed an "internet accelerator" offered by clix.pt. Such
    > > > accelerators are seldom free and ISPs usually don't install anything
    > > > without your permission.
    > > >
    > > > My research indicates that you can contact the Proxy Cache
    > > > Administrator at proxy@isp.novis.pt. (clix.pt actually points to
    > > > novis.pt as its real owner).
    > > >
    > > > Do you know others who use the same ISP (dial-up)? Are they having
    > > > similar problems reaching Windows Update?
    > > >
    > > > IE-specific newsgroup for speakers of Portugese:
    > > > news://msnews.microsoft.com/http://novis.pt/ (to which I have
    > > > crossposted this reply).
    > > > --
    > > > ~PA Bear

    Kerio

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;164084#XSLTH3124121121120121120120.
    Proxy

    Resolution

    Software

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q243787

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pt.ie,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    OK.

    oops!! wrote:
    > But, I'm using the same proxy...??

    > > Jorge não está usando o ADSL, Zee, mas "dial-up".
    > > --
    > > > Jorge,
    > > >
    > > > Também estou no Clix ADSL e não tenho, nem nunca tive, problemas com o
    > > > Windows Update.
    > > >
    > > > In English:
    > > > I'm using the same ISP, Clix ADSL, and don't have, never had,
    > > > problems with Windows Update.
    > > >
    > > > "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Hi well, yes I had included http://*.microsoft.com

    Now I included all the ones you sent me, and still no luck!

    Thanks

> [...]
    > manufacturer if
    > | you want help with the proxy server or firewall software
    > configuration.
    > |
    > | 2. Open port 80.
    > | 3. Add Windows Update to the Trusted Sites Zone.
    > |

    > | Can you help?
    > |
    > | How do I clear the proxy cache? And how do I open port 80?
    > |
    > | thanks
    > |

    > | "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > | >
    > | > Have you now tried all of them? Have you tried temporarily
    > disabling your
    > | > anti-virus application and/or firewall? (Be careful!)

    > | > Object Not Found/Error 404? (Me, too.)
    > | >
    > | > Can you reach https://windowsupdate.microsoft.com or, e.g., your
    > online
    > | > banking web-pages? If so, SSL is working.
    > | > --
    > | > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > | > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Well I've tried just about ecerything.

    One more point:

    Is there a way of checking if certain ports are open? Port 80, Port 443, for
    instance?

> [...]

    > manufacturer if
    > | you want help with the proxy server or firewall software
    > configuration.
    > |
    > | 2. Open port 80.
    > | 3. Add Windows Update to the Trusted Sites Zone.
    > |

    > | Can you help?
    > |
    > | How do I clear the proxy cache? And how do I open port 80?
    > |
    > | thanks
    > |

    > | "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > | >
    > | > Have you now tried all of them? Have you tried temporarily
    > disabling your
    > | > anti-virus application and/or firewall? (Be careful!)

    > | > Object Not Found/Error 404? (Me, too.)
    > | >
    > | > Can you reach https://windowsupdate.microsoft.com or, e.g., your
    > online
    > | > banking web-pages? If so, SSL is working.
    > | > --
    > | > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > | > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I saw IE open & close them (ports 80 & 443) in Kerio, during a Windows
    Update. It was at the Firewall Status screen, under Local Address after
    unchecking "Don't show port name" in the settings menu.

    You say you see your proxy server doing stuff there, which is Clix.
    Poster oops!! in this thread has Clix with no problem. But I think you
    must discuss it with them, or wait for Bear to come back out of
    hibernation.

    By the way, neither of those "SSL" test sites worked for me, giving
    different error messages...

    https://www.stanford.edu/group/idg/leland/samples/secure/test.html
    Object Not Found/Error 404

    https://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    The page cannot be displayed

    YET, Windows Update works just fine!

    --
    | Well I've tried just about ecerything.
    |
    | One more point:
    |
    | Is there a way of checking if certain ports are open? Port 80, Port
    443, for
    | instance?
    |

    | Thanks

    | > As PA said elsewhere in this thread (& you didn't answer his
    questions
    | > there)...
    | > ......Quote.........
    | > Did you add all of the following to Trusted Sites?
    | >
    | > http://www.download.windowsupdate.com
    | > http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    | > https://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    | > http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    | > http://download.windowsupdate.com
    | > ......EOQ...........
    | >
    | > I've never found a need to do it, but...
    | >
    | > (1) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Security tab"
    | > (2) Click "Trusted Sites" in the "Select a Web content zone..."
    window.
    | > (3) Click the "Sites" button, & copy/paste those URLs into it.
    | >
    | > Also, port 80 seems to open & close as needed automatically (shown
    in
    | > Kerio) when I go to Windows Update.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | Hi
    | > |
    | > | Yes I can get to my Bank and transfer money etc.
    | > |
    | > | I also manage to download everything, including McAfee's updates.
    | > |
    | > | I have tried disabling Anti Virus/Firewall and no diff.
    | > |
    | > | Did you read my earlier message about Proxy Servers?
    | > |
    | > | I'll paste it again:
    | > |
    | > | I think I found out what the problem is:
    | > | http://www.support.microsoft.com/kb/241783/EN-US/
    | > |
    | > | It looks as my server is blocking the download.
    | > |
    | > | Now I don't know how to go about points 1 and 2 of the Resolution
    | > |
    | > | RESOLUTION
    | > | To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
    | > |
    | > | 1. Clear the proxy cache and configure it to exclude the Windows
    | > Update
    | > | site.
    | > |
    | > | Note See your software documentation or contact the software
    | > manufacturer if
    | > | you want help with the proxy server or firewall software
    | > configuration.
    | > |
    | > | 2. Open port 80.
    | > | 3. Add Windows Update to the Trusted Sites Zone.
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | Can you help?
    | > |
    | > | How do I clear the proxy cache? And how do I open port 80?
    | > |
    | > | thanks
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message

    | > disabling your

    | > online

    | > that

    | > the
    | > sites in
    | > | the
    | > computer.
    | > | You
    | > test site

    https://www.stanford.edu/group/idg/leland/samples/secure/test.html

    | > will not
    | > network.
    | > means I

    | > |

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp

    | > Windows

    | > message

    | > |
    | > |

  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Ok, I give up!

    I did a House Call check and it returned 3 risk level issues, which are
    obviously connected to the latest windows updates that I have been unabnle
    to download

    I looked at them and got confused and afraid of downloading the wrong thing.
    Can you help?

    They refer to
    MS99-034
    MS05-037
    MS05-038

    I have 98Se

    Could you give me the necessary download sites for this?

    Thanks again

    Jorge

> [...]
    > |

    > | Thanks
    > |

    > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > | > As PA said elsewhere in this thread (& you didn't answer his
    > questions
    > | > there)...
    > | > ......Quote.........
    > | > Did you add all of the following to Trusted Sites?
    > | >
    > | > http://www.download.windowsupdate.com
    > | > http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    > | > https://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    > | > http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    > | > http://download.windowsupdate.com
    > | > ......EOQ...........
    > | >
    > | > I've never found a need to do it, but...
    > | >
    > | > (1) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Security tab"
    > | > (2) Click "Trusted Sites" in the "Select a Web content zone..."
    > window.
    > | > (3) Click the "Sites" button, & copy/paste those URLs into it.
    > | >
    > | > Also, port 80 seems to open & close as needed automatically (shown

  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    1. First make certain the machine's free of hijackware and Trojans.

    Checking for/Help with Hijackware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html

    When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
    (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
    It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. **Post
    your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
    for expert analysis, not here.**

    2. If you've been keeping up-to-date at Windows Update before this (and
    from your headers, it appears that you have), you'll already have MS99-034
    installed. [MS99-034 can be downloaded for manual installation via
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WUCritical/SRPoint/default.asp ]

    3. MS05-037 and MS05-038 can be downloaded for manual installation via the
    Windows Update Catalog
    (http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp)... but if you
    can reach that site, you should be able to reach
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com to download them.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    Jorge wrote:
    > Ok, I give up!
    >
    > I did a House Call check and it returned 3 risk level issues, which are
    > obviously connected to the latest windows updates that I have been unabnle
    > to download
    >
    > I looked at them and got confused and afraid of downloading the wrong
    > thing. Can you help?
    >
    > They refer to
    > MS99-034
    > MS05-037
    > MS05-038
    >
    > I have 98Se
    >
    > Could you give me the necessary download sites for this?
    <snip>
    [thread history:
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion/browse_frm/thread/98bf5d80a9a36be7/b999f2099b4bcdf3?q=Critical+updates&rnum=1&hl=en#b999f2099b4bcdf3 ]
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Best stick with Bear, maybe, for a bit, anyhow.

    --
    | Ok, I give up!
    |
    | I did a House Call check and it returned 3 risk level issues, which
    are
    | obviously connected to the latest windows updates that I have been
    unabnle
    | to download
    |
    | I looked at them and got confused and afraid of downloading the wrong
    thing.
    | Can you help?
    |
    | They refer to
    | MS99-034
    | MS05-037
    | MS05-038
    |
    | I have 98Se
    |
    | Could you give me the necessary download sites for this?
    |
    | Thanks again
    |
    | Jorge

    | > I saw IE open & close them (ports 80 & 443) in Kerio, during a
    Windows
    | > Update. It was at the Firewall Status screen, under Local Address
    after
    | > unchecking "Don't show port name" in the settings menu.
    | >
    | > You say you see your proxy server doing stuff there, which is Clix.
    | > Poster oops!! in this thread has Clix with no problem. But I think
    you
    | > must discuss it with them, or wait for Bear to come back out of
    | > hibernation.
    | >
    | > By the way, neither of those "SSL" test sites worked for me, giving
    | > different error messages...
    | >
    | > https://www.stanford.edu/group/idg/leland/samples/secure/test.html
    | > Object Not Found/Error 404
    | >
    | > https://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    | > The page cannot be displayed
    | >
    | > YET, Windows Update works just fine!
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
    | > | Well I've tried just about ecerything.
    | > |
    | > | One more point:
    | > |
    | > | Is there a way of checking if certain ports are open? Port 80,
    Port
    | > 443, for
    | > | instance?
    | > |