Lost my files

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
September 4, 2005 8:25:07 PM

I was trying to migrate my files from my old computer, windows 98 first
edition, to my new computer windows xp home edition, using the files and
setting transfer wizard (whick can with the new computer). I created a wizrd
disk and followed all the steps, i put the disk in my old computer and
everything went fine until it would stop in the middle of collecting my files
and tell me that there wasn't enough space on my computer. So i decided to
temporarily put some of my music files into the recycle bin, thinking this
would free up some space. When i did that, only a portion of the files went
to the recycle bin, the rest simply disappeared. They are nowhere, not in
the bin, not in their original folder, simply gone. Only 203 MB was put into
the recycle bin and around 1 GB was lost, I had no idea that the recycle bin
had a maximum size and I have no idea how to get my files back. Is there a
way to restore or recover them, or are they gone for good? This is around 200
files that are gone. Someone please help, i am hyperventilating!!!!!

More about : lost files

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 8:43:15 PM

The Recycle Bin can hold only so much--2GB, I think.

When you put files in the Recycle Bin, it only changes a few bits that have
to do with folder assignment. They are otherwise unchanged and occupy the
same amount of disk space.

In short, without going into all the details, you probably can't do what you
want to do using FAST. The FAST procedure requires enough free space to
create a temporary file, and especially if you're trying to move a lot of
large compressed files (like music and images), that file will need a lot of
space.

However, your immediate problem is to recover the files. If that machine is
still running, pull the plug. Don't do anything else, just pull the plug.
(If you're reading this on the affected machine, pull the plug now and go to
your other machine to continue.) There's lot's involved, possibly including
some expense for good data recovery tools. In general terms, you'll want to
use your new machine to install data recovery software and then use it to
recover the data from the old hard drive. This is all done on the new
machine, but you have to go slowly, since Windows XP will write data to any
partition it sees.

I'm going out for the evening. I can't go into the details right now. But
the first step is to stop using that hard drive.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"MicroHelp" <MicroHelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was trying to migrate my files from my old computer, windows 98 first
> edition, to my new computer windows xp home edition, using the files and
> setting transfer wizard (whick can with the new computer). I created a
> wizrd
> disk and followed all the steps, i put the disk in my old computer and
> everything went fine until it would stop in the middle of collecting my
> files
> and tell me that there wasn't enough space on my computer. So i decided
> temporarily put some of my music files into the recycle bin, thinking this
> would free up some space. When i did that, only a portion of the files
> went
> to the recycle bin, the rest simply disappeared. They are nowhere, not in
> the bin, not in their original folder, simply gone. Only 203 MB was put
> into
> the recycle bin and around 1 GB was lost, I had no idea that the recycle
> bin
> had a maximum size and I have no idea how to get my files back. Is there
> way to restore or recover them, or are they gone for good? This is around
> 200
> files that are gone. Someone please help, i am hyperventilating!!!!!
September 4, 2005 11:52:39 PM

Hi MicroHelp,

You can recover your files but you will have to use an undelete
utility. Here is a roundup of a few freeware data recovery tools you
might want to try:

http://free-backup.info/data-recovery-software.htm

Good luck!
March 27, 2008 11:24:11 AM

Need not worry; data can be recovered provided they have not got overwritten by now. Hope you have stopped working on the drive. If not, then please stop as it might render permanent data loss. Use Digital Media Recovery Software, which features an extremely easy interface and powerful functions that allows users to recover deleted and lost music files.

Levin
iPod Recovery

!