Is my computer approaching its last days?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
September 5, 2005 1:12:24 AM

With my Windows 98 Dell Dimension (purchased in 1998), for the several
months I've had this problem with "memory leak" that folks here already
explained to me. It means that after the computer has been on for a day
or so, it starts running low on resources. I was able to live with
that, just turning the computer off more often or restarting.

But now it's getting worse. When I start it up, it's fine With just my
background applications on (DSL connection, Zone alarm, Explorer, etc.)
I have 60 percent of resources free (which in fact is only about seven
percent lower than it's ever been at it's best). But within maybe 12
hours of the computer being on, resources have gotten so low that the
task bar icons lose their appearance (losing their details and color),
and all kinds of freeze-ups start to occur. It's only the last few
weeks that resources would get so low (with as few as seven or so
windows open) that the taskbar icons would lose their appearance and I'd
have to restart to get some usable memory back.

Does this memory leak (if that's what it is), indicate an unfixable loss
of functioning in the core components of the computer? Is there
anything to be done about about this?

Thanks for any advice.
Larry
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 1:12:25 AM

Read these two articles and then, after following the advice there to the
extent that seems reasonable in your case, we'll have a baseline from which
to work and you'll be more familiar with the tools you'll want to use to
track down your problems.

Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote in message
> With my Windows 98 Dell Dimension (purchased in 1998), for the several
> months I've had this problem with "memory leak" that folks here already
> explained to me. It means that after the computer has been on for a day
> or so, it starts running low on resources. I was able to live with
> that, just turning the computer off more often or restarting.
>
> But now it's getting worse. When I start it up, it's fine With just my
> background applications on (DSL connection, Zone alarm, Explorer, etc.)
> I have 60 percent of resources free (which in fact is only about seven
> percent lower than it's ever been at it's best). But within maybe 12
> hours of the computer being on, resources have gotten so low that the
> task bar icons lose their appearance (losing their details and color),
> and all kinds of freeze-ups start to occur. It's only the last few
> weeks that resources would get so low (with as few as seven or so
> windows open) that the taskbar icons would lose their appearance and I'd
> have to restart to get some usable memory back.
>
> Does this memory leak (if that's what it is), indicate an unfixable loss
> of functioning in the core components of the computer? Is there
> anything to be done about about this?
>
> Thanks for any advice.
> Larry

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 1:55:18 AM

If you believe you have a memory leak, you need to tshoot to find out what app
is causing it. A memory leak is caused by an application that loses the ability
to release the memory, which is a cause in the programming of that app.

Use of memory and resources are two separate things, 60% resources is not a
concern. If you got down to around 5-10%, then you would need to check into the
resources. For info on resources see:
http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/resource.htm

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote in message
> With my Windows 98 Dell Dimension (purchased in 1998), for the several
> months I've had this problem with "memory leak" that folks here already
> explained to me. It means that after the computer has been on for a day
> or so, it starts running low on resources. I was able to live with
> that, just turning the computer off more often or restarting.
>
> But now it's getting worse. When I start it up, it's fine With just my
> background applications on (DSL connection, Zone alarm, Explorer, etc.)
> I have 60 percent of resources free (which in fact is only about seven
> percent lower than it's ever been at it's best). But within maybe 12
> hours of the computer being on, resources have gotten so low that the
> task bar icons lose their appearance (losing their details and color),
> and all kinds of freeze-ups start to occur. It's only the last few
> weeks that resources would get so low (with as few as seven or so
> windows open) that the taskbar icons would lose their appearance and I'd
> have to restart to get some usable memory back.
>
> Does this memory leak (if that's what it is), indicate an unfixable loss
> of functioning in the core components of the computer? Is there
> anything to be done about about this?
>
> Thanks for any advice.
> Larry

September 5, 2005 2:59:44 AM

Click Start>Run, type MSINFO32 and click OK.
In the left pane of the System Information window, click the + sign to expand the
"Software Environment" category.
In the left pane, click to select "Startup Programs"....they will appear in a list
on the right.
Press Ctrl-A on the keyboard, which will highlight everything in the list on the
right.
Press Ctrl-C to copy the list to the 'clipboard'.
Open a reply to this message, click in the body of the message and press Ctrl-V to
paste the list from the clipboard to the message, and post back to this thread.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote in message
> With my Windows 98 Dell Dimension (purchased in 1998), for the several
> months I've had this problem with "memory leak" that folks here already
> explained to me. It means that after the computer has been on for a day
> or so, it starts running low on resources. I was able to live with
> that, just turning the computer off more often or restarting.
>
> But now it's getting worse. When I start it up, it's fine With just my
> background applications on (DSL connection, Zone alarm, Explorer, etc.)
> I have 60 percent of resources free (which in fact is only about seven
> percent lower than it's ever been at it's best). But within maybe 12
> hours of the computer being on, resources have gotten so low that the
> task bar icons lose their appearance (losing their details and color),
> and all kinds of freeze-ups start to occur. It's only the last few
> weeks that resources would get so low (with as few as seven or so
> windows open) that the taskbar icons would lose their appearance and I'd
> have to restart to get some usable memory back.
>
> Does this memory leak (if that's what it is), indicate an unfixable loss
> of functioning in the core components of the computer? Is there
> anything to be done about about this?
>
> Thanks for any advice.
> Larry

September 5, 2005 3:30:56 AM

Here it is.

library Startup Group C:\Documents\library.rtl
WinKey Startup Group "C:\Program Files\WinKey\WinKey.exe"
Flywheel Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Plannet
Crafters\Flywheel\Flywheel.exe"
Winword Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE"
Bootminder 2 Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\bootminder.exe
Icon Corral Startup Group "C:\Program Files\IconCorral\IconCorral.exe"
To do now.txt Startup Group "C:\Documents\To do\To do now.txt"
ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe
powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
AT&T DSL Service PCA Program Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program
Files\AT&T\DSL\programs\dslpca.exe /ws
Tweak UI Registry (Machine Run) RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
TkBellExe Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
Zone Labs Client Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Zone
Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe
powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
TrueVector Registry (Machine Service)
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE

> Click Start>Run, type MSINFO32 and click OK.
> In the left pane of the System Information window, click the + sign to
expand the
> "Software Environment" category.
> In the left pane, click to select "Startup Programs"....they will
appear in a list
> on the right.
> Press Ctrl-A on the keyboard, which will highlight everything in the
list on the
> right.
> Press Ctrl-C to copy the list to the 'clipboard'.
> Open a reply to this message, click in the body of the message and
press Ctrl-V to
> paste the list from the clipboard to the message, and post back to
this thread.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote in message
> > With my Windows 98 Dell Dimension (purchased in 1998), for the
several
> > months I've had this problem with "memory leak" that folks here
already
> > explained to me. It means that after the computer has been on for a
day
> > or so, it starts running low on resources. I was able to live with
> > that, just turning the computer off more often or restarting.
> >
> > But now it's getting worse. When I start it up, it's fine With
just my
> > background applications on (DSL connection, Zone alarm, Explorer,
etc.)
> > I have 60 percent of resources free (which in fact is only about
seven
> > percent lower than it's ever been at it's best). But within maybe
12
> > hours of the computer being on, resources have gotten so low that
the
> > task bar icons lose their appearance (losing their details and
color),
> > and all kinds of freeze-ups start to occur. It's only the last few
> > weeks that resources would get so low (with as few as seven or so
> > windows open) that the taskbar icons would lose their appearance and
I'd
> > have to restart to get some usable memory back.
> >
> > Does this memory leak (if that's what it is), indicate an unfixable
loss
> > of functioning in the core components of the computer? Is there
> > anything to be done about about this?
> >
> > Thanks for any advice.
> > Larry

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 6:15:27 AM

<sigh> Looks like we've been through all this in another thread of yours, over a
year ago:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win98.g...

The answers have not changed.
--

> [...]
> > > I have 60 percent of resources free (which in fact is only about
> seven
> > > percent lower than it's ever been at it's best). But within maybe
> 12
> > > hours of the computer being on, resources have gotten so low that
> the
> > > task bar icons lose their appearance (losing their details and
> color),
> > > and all kinds of freeze-ups start to occur. It's only the last few
> > > weeks that resources would get so low (with as few as seven or so
> > > windows open) that the taskbar icons would lose their appearance and
> I'd
> > > have to restart to get some usable memory back.
> > >
> > > Does this memory leak (if that's what it is), indicate an unfixable
> loss
> > > of functioning in the core components of the computer? Is there

September 5, 2005 12:36:47 PM

Glee,

In my first e-mail in this thread, I referred back to that earlier
thread of June 2004. I said I had dealt with the problem discussed back
then, but that the problem now seems to be worse, with loss of
sufficient resources occuring not after the computer had been on for
maybe 30 hours, but after it had been on for maybe 13 hours, and that
this involved new symptoms I hadn't had before, such as icons losing
their appearance. The consensus in the earlier thread, as I remember,
was that this problem of memory leaks could be managed and was a normal
symptom of a computer getting older. And that's the way I had dealt
with it for the last year. But now, as I said, it seemed to be getting
much worse.

However, maybe the discussion did involve some going over of the same
basic information about memory and I'm sorry about that.

Larry

glee wrote:
> [...]
> > c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
> >

> > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> > > Click Start>Run, type MSINFO32 and click OK.
> > > In the left pane of the System Information window, click the +
> > > sign to
> > expand the
> > > "Software Environment" category.
> > > In the left pane, click to select "Startup Programs"....they will
> > appear in a list
> > > on the right.
> > > Press Ctrl-A on the keyboard, which will highlight everything in
> > > the
> > list on the
> > > right.
> > > Press Ctrl-C to copy the list to the 'clipboard'.
> > > Open a reply to this message, click in the body of the message and
> > press Ctrl-V to
> > > paste the list from the clipboard to the message, and post back to

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 12:38:17 PM

"Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote in message

1. We cannot do much without knowing your RAM
and settings of your swap file.

2. You listed as loading at boot:

> library Startup Group C:\Documents\library.rtl

Perhaps needed, probably not.

> WinKey Startup Group "C:\Program Files\WinKey\WinKey.exe"

Probably not.

> Flywheel Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Plannet
Crafters\Flywheel\Flywheel.exe"

Do not know this one -- ornamental ?

> Winword Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE"

Notorious memory hog (so I use it only when I must.)

> Bootminder 2 Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\bootminder.exe

Do you really need this protection?

> Icon Corral Startup Group "C:\Program Files\IconCorral\IconCorral.exe"

Do not know this one -- ornamental ?

> To do now.txt Startup Group "C:\Documents\To do\To do now.txt"

Not needed. (Write your agenda in a text file retrievable on Desktop.)

> ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
> SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
> LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe

All three above are useful.

> powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme

This MS utility is not useful.

> AT&T DSL Service PCA Program Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program
Files\AT&T\DSL\programs\dslpca.exe /ws

Why not load DSL only when yoou need it.

> Tweak UI Registry (Machine Run) RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp

Not needed unless you have not yet finished customizing and
TweakUI does not load fast enough by itself when you needed it.

> TkBellExe Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot

Useful only when you run utilities while absent from the keyboard:
repost listing which functions you run thus.

> Zone Labs Client Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Zone
> Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe

Perhaps useful, if you expose yourself to viruses

> LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe
> powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme

Not needed

> TrueVector Registry (Machine Service)
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service

Perhaps useful, if you expose yourself to viruses

> KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
> c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE

Not neeeded. If you need a MS OS update at all, run it
once only.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

OK....the startup list appears basically the same as it was then, so the answers
then still apply.....but:

Click Start> Find> Files and Folders, choose to look in the C: drive, and search for
a file named shelliconcache....it will be in the Windows folder, and is a file with
no 3-letter extension. What is the size of that file?
--

> [...]
> > > Files\IconCorral\IconCorral.exe" To do now.txt Startup Group
> > > "C:\Documents\To do\To do now.txt" ScanRegistry Registry (Machine
> > > Run) c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun SystemTray Registry (Machine
> > > Run) SysTray.Exe LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run)
> > > Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
> > > AT&T DSL Service PCA Program Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program
> > > Files\AT&T\DSL\programs\dslpca.exe /ws
> > > Tweak UI Registry (Machine Run) RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
> > > TkBellExe Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Common
> > > Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
> > > Zone Labs Client Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Zone
> > > Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
> > > LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe
> > > powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
> > > TrueVector Registry (Machine Service)
> > > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 1:31:56 PM

Larry wrote:
> Glee,
>
> In my first e-mail in this thread, I referred back to that earlier
> thread of June 2004. I said I had dealt with the problem discussed back
> then, but that the problem now seems to be worse, with loss of
> sufficient resources occuring not after the computer had been on for
> maybe 30 hours, but after it had been on for maybe 13 hours, and that
> this involved new symptoms I hadn't had before, such as icons losing
> their appearance. The consensus in the earlier thread, as I remember,
> was that this problem of memory leaks could be managed and was a normal
> symptom of a computer getting older.

What???? There is nothing biological in here. The computer doesn't
magically degrade (or "lose memory") by getting older. The only thing that
DOES happen is that when you add new stuff to it - like new programs, or
program upgrades, they often can and will use some additional memory,
obviously.

And IIRC, you have a bunch of stuff loading that you shouldn't have, or
rather, have no reason to have (like winword, for example!) Let it load
when you invoke the application that needs it- specifically Word, in that
case.
September 5, 2005 11:13:30 PM

Bill,

First, maybe I misunderstood, but I thought I remembered someone telling
me back in June 2004 that as computers get older they lose the ability
to release the memory that was being used by an application when the
application is closed, so that there is a steady loss of resources over
several hours until it becomes a problem.

Second, what would I gain by not loading Word at Startup? I have Word
on all the time, I'm using it constantly.

Larry

"Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:o yuh17isFHA.3908@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Larry wrote:
> > Glee,
> >
> > In my first e-mail in this thread, I referred back to that earlier
> > thread of June 2004. I said I had dealt with the problem discussed
back
> > then, but that the problem now seems to be worse, with loss of
> > sufficient resources occuring not after the computer had been on for
> > maybe 30 hours, but after it had been on for maybe 13 hours, and
that
> > this involved new symptoms I hadn't had before, such as icons losing
> > their appearance. The consensus in the earlier thread, as I
remember,
> > was that this problem of memory leaks could be managed and was a
normal
> > symptom of a computer getting older.
>
> What???? There is nothing biological in here. The computer
doesn't
> magically degrade (or "lose memory") by getting older. The only
thing that
> DOES happen is that when you add new stuff to it - like new programs,
or
> program upgrades, they often can and will use some additional memory,
> obviously.
>
> And IIRC, you have a bunch of stuff loading that you shouldn't have,
or
> rather, have no reason to have (like winword, for example!) Let it
load
> when you invoke the application that needs it- specifically Word, in
that
> case.

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 11:13:31 PM

> Bill,
>
> First, maybe I misunderstood, but I thought I remembered someone telling
> me back in June 2004 that as computers get older they lose the ability
> to release the memory that was being used by an application when the
> application is closed, so that there is a steady loss of resources over
> several hours until it becomes a problem.

Not true. As a system ages (that is, the WIndows installation, not the
hardware) it gets gucked up and is more prone to problems, including "memory
leaks" and Recource drains, but it has nothing to do with the physical age
of the hardware.

Not everything you read here is going to necessarily be the absolute truth.
Plus, you may very well be misreading or misinterpreting those conversations
even if you remember it correctly. The Google Groups thread provides youwith
an opportunity to clarify.

> Second, what would I gain by not loading Word at Startup? I have Word
> on all the time, I'm using it constantly.

Nothing wrong with it, though I, personally, would wait until after the rest
of the system had loaded before launching Word.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

Larry wrote:
> Bill,
>
> First, maybe I misunderstood, but I thought I remembered someone telling
> me back in June 2004 that as computers get older they lose the ability
> to release the memory that was being used by an application when the
> application is closed, so that there is a steady loss of resources over
> several hours until it becomes a problem.

I don't buy that.

Well, except that as you start doing more things with some application,
sure, that can use more resources, and if that application isn't properly
behaved, it may not release those resources when its done with those extra
tasks like it's supposed to! But that problem really is with the
application software - it shouldn't be doing that - it should - for the most
part - release its unneeded resources, UNLESS it thinks its going to be
called upon again, in which case it will continue to tie up some of those
resources until you quit the application, or, in some cases, have to reboot
(due to the app not being meticulous in releasing all its resources when you
quit the program)

> Second, what would I gain by not loading Word at Startup? I have Word
> on all the time, I'm using it constantly.

Well, that may be different, then. I didn't know you use Word ALL the
time, so maybe you can leave winword on. But is that really necessary?
Not really.

If you find you are running low on resources, you may not much of a choice,
either. But I think there is a good chance you've got something else
eating up the resources (some other apps).

One good way to tell is to do some very specific, narrow, and well organized
tests (running only certain apps each time, and then rebooting before doing
a different test, etc), and documenting everything thoroughly. But that
IS tedious, though.

> Larry
>

> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:o yuh17isFHA.3908@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Larry wrote:
>>> Glee,
>>>
>>> In my first e-mail in this thread, I referred back to that earlier
>>> thread of June 2004. I said I had dealt with the problem discussed back
>>> then, but that the problem now seems to be worse, with loss of
>>> sufficient resources occuring not after the computer had been on for
>>> maybe 30 hours, but after it had been on for maybe 13 hours, and that
>>> this involved new symptoms I hadn't had before, such as icons losing
>>> their appearance. The consensus in the earlier thread, as I remember,
>>> was that this problem of memory leaks could be managed and was a normal
>>> symptom of a computer getting older.
>>
>> What???? There is nothing biological in here. The computer doesn't
>> magically degrade (or "lose memory") by getting older. The only thing
that
>> DOES happen is that when you add new stuff to it - like new programs, or
>> program upgrades, they often can and will use some additional memory,
>> obviously.
>>
>> And IIRC, you have a bunch of stuff loading that you shouldn't have, or
>> rather, have no reason to have (like winword, for example!) Let it
load
>> when you invoke the application that needs it- specifically Word, in that
>> case.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 4:32:05 AM

Don Phillipson wrote:

> "Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote:
>
>>KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
>>c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
>
> Not neeeded. If you need a MS OS update at all, run it
> once only.

This is a new security update since Febuary 2005, updated installer
digitally signed 2005-03-26, that for Win98 uniquely should run at each
boot and remain running, for protecting against malicious icons.

--
Please followup in newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 08:38:17 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
<d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote:

>> Zone Labs Client Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Zone
>> Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
>
>Perhaps useful, if you expose yourself to viruses
>
>> LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe
>> powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
>
>Not needed
>
>> TrueVector Registry (Machine Service)
>> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
>
>Perhaps useful, if you expose yourself to viruses
>
>> KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
>> c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
>
>Not neeeded. If you need a MS OS update at all, run it
>once only.

Don, I'm just curious, but where do you get your (mis)information?

--
dak
My SpywareBlaster Custom Blocking List:

There's very little about your anecdote that applies to the case at hand.
Yours is probably due to a problem in some plug-in.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> I think I have had something similar happen to me on occasion too. On
> occasion, IE will get hungup on some web site and in some cases, I've had
> basically try to close it down and reboot, and in the worst cases, just
> reboot w/o closing it down. But it happens very rarely, and only at some
> sites. The Resource Meter won't say anything in these cases.

Anonymous
September 8, 2005 4:07:36 AM

Ooops, must not have read it closely enough. Sorry about that.

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> There's very little about your anecdote that applies to the case at hand.
> Yours is probably due to a problem in some plug-in.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I think I have had something similar happen to me on occasion too. On
>> occasion, IE will get hungup on some web site and in some cases, I've had
>> basically try to close it down and reboot, and in the worst cases, just
>> reboot w/o closing it down. But it happens very rarely, and only at
some
>> sites. The Resource Meter won't say anything in these cases.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 4:07:37 AM

No biggy, just wanted to keep the situation on track, <s>.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> Ooops, must not have read it closely enough. Sorry about that.
>
> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>> There's very little about your anecdote that applies to the case at hand.
>> Yours is probably due to a problem in some plug-in.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>
>> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I think I have had something similar happen to me on occasion too. On
>>> occasion, IE will get hungup on some web site and in some cases, I've
>>> had
>>> basically try to close it down and reboot, and in the worst cases, just
>>> reboot w/o closing it down. But it happens very rarely, and only at
> some
>>> sites. The Resource Meter won't say anything in these cases.

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 1:43:38 AM

> snip
> What was in the Close Program box when I did the check was:
>
> Explorer
> ZLClient
> Enternet
> Dslpce
> Winkey
> Systtray
> kb891711

kb891711 should NOT be in the Close Program box. The fact that it is means you
have the original, defective version of the update installed. Whether this is
involved in your current problems or not, you should correct this.

- Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, and in the Close Program box, End Task on kb891711.
- Click Start> Settings> Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- Uninstall "Windows 98 KB891711 Update"
- Open Windows Explorer, navigate to the C:\Windows\System folder, and delete the
sub-folder named Kb891711, and its contents....Kb891711.exe and Q891711.DLL
-Go to Windows Update and scan for updates....it should find that you need the
KB891711 Update. Install it.

If you skip any steps, especially the deletion of the folder, you will *not* get the
new version.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
September 10, 2005 3:11:15 AM

Ok, Glen, I've done what you said. (You may have noticed there was some
disagreement about that item in this thread, but what you said resolved
the contradiction, i.e., the item is necessary, but the older version of
it is a problem.)

But one oddity. Inside the C:\Windows\System\Kb891711 folder, there
were no files. I made sure that all files were showing. I did a search
on the hard drive for \Kb891711.exe and found nothing. Then I went
ahead and deleted the folder as you said, but it was still odd that
there was nothing there.

Also, I was suprised the Windows 98 Update program is still in
operating. I thought MS had terminated all support for Windows 98, but
I guess that doesn't include updates.

Thanks,
Larry

> "Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote in message
> > snip
> > What was in the Close Program box when I did the check was:
> >
> > Explorer
> > ZLClient
> > Enternet
> > Dslpce
> > Winkey
> > Systtray
> > kb891711
>
> kb891711 should NOT be in the Close Program box. The fact that it is
means you
> have the original, defective version of the update installed. Whether
this is
> involved in your current problems or not, you should correct this.
>
> - Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, and in the Close Program box, End Task on
kb891711.
> - Click Start> Settings> Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove
Programs.
> - Uninstall "Windows 98 KB891711 Update"
> - Open Windows Explorer, navigate to the C:\Windows\System folder, and
delete the
> sub-folder named Kb891711, and its contents....Kb891711.exe and
Q891711.DLL
> -Go to Windows Update and scan for updates....it should find that you
need the
> KB891711 Update. Install it.
>
> If you skip any steps, especially the deletion of the folder, you will
*not* get the
> new version.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 4:45:10 AM

> snip
> Also, I *know* you misspelled SYSTTRAY. Did you happen to misspell any of the
> others? I'm particularly interested in DSLPCE and ENTERNET. The only legitimate
> ENTERNET I can find is a Greek ISP. I can't find mention of DSLPCE at all. I
> think it's important that you identify those two items.

Based on Larry's earlier replies and specifically his output from msinfo> startup
programs, I believe DSLPCE is a typo for DSLPCA, which is part of the software
installed by AT&T DSL service (at&t dsl service pca program). I don't know that it
is required.

Enternet most likely refers to EnterNet, one of many available PPPoE apps; like
EnterNet, WinPOET, RASPPPoE.....
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 12:05:54 AM

A memory leak is a software defect, not a hardware problem. You have a
program on your computer that is consuming more, and more memory, without
releasing it back into the general memory pool - until the computer crashes.
If you can find which program is causing this problem, you can uninstall the
program, reboot, and things may go back to normal for you.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User