Windows 98 updates

I am computer nerd wannabe, trying to help a friend who has a problem with
his Win98 (not 2nd edition) laptop. I suspect he has never obtained Windows
updates. The laptop has no modem, and he does not have an ethernet card for
his PCMCIA slots, so I have no easy way to connect to the Internet for
automated Windows updates. Is there a way to obtain current updates without
an Internet connection directly to the target computer? (i.e. download to a
desktop, then burn files to a CD for installation on the laptop?)

Windows Update Catalog

Use the tool to locate updates for Windows 98/98SE. You'll want to download
all "Read More..." documents and any Security Bulletins or KB Articles that
they refer to. You'll want to install in date order (oldest towards newest.)
It's not the most efficient way, but it's the safest. You'll have to review
each one to make sure which it's for--Win98 or WIn98SE or both.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Cfd822" <Cfd822@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am computer nerd wannabe, trying to help a friend who has a problem with
> his Win98 (not 2nd edition) laptop. I suspect he has never obtained
> Windows
> updates. The laptop has no modem, and he does not have an ethernet card
> for
> his PCMCIA slots, so I have no easy way to connect to the Internet for
> automated Windows updates. Is there a way to obtain current updates
> without
> an Internet connection directly to the target computer? (i.e. download to
> desktop, then burn files to a CD for installation on the laptop?)

YMMV but it's been said that the Windows Security Update CD is still
available via the MS Order Desk:

In the United States, contact the Microsoft Order Desk at the following
phone number:

(800) 360-7561, Monday through Friday, 5:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M., Pacific
Time

In Canada, contact the Canadian Microsoft Order Desk at the following phone
number:

(800) 933-4750, Monday through Friday, 5:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M., Pacific
Time

The CD contains all Critical Security Updates (including IE6 SP1) released
through 31 Oct-03. You can download the rest via Windows Update Catalogue
as posted in another reply to this thread.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Cfd822 wrote:
> I am computer nerd wannabe, trying to help a friend who has a problem with
> his Win98 (not 2nd edition) laptop. I suspect he has never obtained
> Windows updates. The laptop has no modem, and he does not have an
> ethernet card for his PCMCIA slots, so I have no easy way to connect to
> the Internet for automated Windows updates. Is there a way to obtain
> current updates without an Internet connection directly to the target
> computer? (i.e. download to a desktop, then burn files to a CD for
> installation on the laptop?)

TRENDING THREADS