'Illegal Operation'

Have Win98SE and IE 6.0. IE isn't my main browser but sometimes I need
to use it for certain websites (e.g., of my superannuation company).
Trouble is, lately it has constantly given me a message about 'Illegal
Operation - Windows will now close' for whichever website I visit. Was
advised to download a replacement IE from the Windows website and
install it over existing one, to solve possible corruption problem.
Trouble is, Windows website says downloading needs to be done using IE.
Catch22.

Please, any advise about (a) why I constantly get the 'Illegal
Operation' message, and (b) how to overcome it.

Thanks - Ken
3 answers Last reply
More about illegal operation

    Two articles I've written probably apply:
    www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

    After cleaning up your system, run IE Repair, from the Tools menu of
    MSINFO32. If still no joy, go back to that same menu, but instead of running
    IE Repair you want to "Add Components". Select every item that is bolded
    (where possible.) This is the equivalent of reinstalling.

    That said, I don't understand. You can't download the installer stub from
    this page?
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1e1550cb-5e5d-48f5-b02b-20b602228de6&displaylang=en

    (TinyURL = http://tinyurl.com/3drq)

    All you need on your machine is that single 480KB installer stub. After
    that, it doesn't require any browser.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    <muffin@labyrinth.net.au> wrote in message
    > Have Win98SE and IE 6.0. IE isn't my main browser but sometimes I need to
    > use it for certain websites (e.g., of my superannuation company).
    > Trouble is, lately it has constantly given me a message about 'Illegal
    > Operation - Windows will now close' for whichever website I visit. Was
    > advised to download a replacement IE from the Windows website and install
    > it over existing one, to solve possible corruption problem. Trouble is,
    > Windows website says downloading needs to be done using IE. Catch22.
    >
    > Please, any advise about (a) why I constantly get the 'Illegal Operation'
    > message, and (b) how to overcome it.
    >
    > Thanks - Ken

    Thanks, Gary, and as soon as I can grab some time, I'll set about
    applying the moves you indicate!

    - Ken
    -----------
    Gary S. Terhune wrote:

    >Two articles I've written probably apply:
    >www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    >www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    >
    >After cleaning up your system, run IE Repair, from the Tools menu of
    >MSINFO32. If still no joy, go back to that same menu, but instead of running
    >IE Repair you want to "Add Components". Select every item that is bolded
    >(where possible.) This is the equivalent of reinstalling.
    >
    >That said, I don't understand. You can't download the installer stub from
    >this page?
    >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1e1550cb-5e5d-48f5-b02b-20b602228de6&displaylang=en
    >
    >(TinyURL = http://tinyurl.com/3drq)
    >
    >All you need on your machine is that single 480KB installer stub. After
    >that, it doesn't require any browser.

    You could reinstall it from a CD.

    Either have a friend put the full install on a CD, use a AOL CD, or try
    this windows 98 update/upgrade CD. It also contains IE6.0sp1:
    http://on-disk.com/98onpack.html

    muffin@labyrinth.net.au wrote:
    > Have Win98SE and IE 6.0. IE isn't my main browser but sometimes I need
    > to use it for certain websites (e.g., of my superannuation company).
    > Trouble is, lately it has constantly given me a message about 'Illegal
    > Operation - Windows will now close' for whichever website I visit. Was
    > advised to download a replacement IE from the Windows website and
    > install it over existing one, to solve possible corruption problem.
    > Trouble is, Windows website says downloading needs to be done using IE.
    > Catch22.
    >
    > Please, any advise about (a) why I constantly get the 'Illegal
    > Operation' message, and (b) how to overcome it.
    >
    > Thanks - Ken

Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows