Unsuccessful Bootup After Successful Installation

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
a b V Motherboard
September 5, 2005 8:45:02 PM

I am trying to install 98SE OEM on a pentium D and intel motherboard using a
945 chipset so that I can upgrade to XP pro. The 98SE install was successful
but upon rebooting, an insufficient memory to load windows message appears
and the bootup ends. My system has 1GB of RAM, clearly enough for 98SE. I
checked the operating systems that the motherboard has been tested with and
XP was the only OS listed. Do I assume that my motherboard is not backwards
compatible with previous versions of windows? I tried installing the XP
upgrade afterwards but the install went nowhere. Any workarounds are
appreciated.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 5, 2005 9:01:16 PM

See : http://aumha.org/win4/a/memmgmt.htm

Specifically Exception No. 2.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Section 9" <Section 9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to install 98SE OEM on a pentium D and intel motherboard using
> 945 chipset so that I can upgrade to XP pro. The 98SE install was
> successful
> but upon rebooting, an insufficient memory to load windows message appears
> and the bootup ends. My system has 1GB of RAM, clearly enough for 98SE. I
> checked the operating systems that the motherboard has been tested with
> and
> XP was the only OS listed. Do I assume that my motherboard is not
> backwards
> compatible with previous versions of windows? I tried installing the XP
> upgrade afterwards but the install went nowhere. Any workarounds are
> appreciated.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 6, 2005 12:12:17 AM

From: "Section 9" <Section 9@discussions.microsoft.com>

| I am trying to install 98SE OEM on a pentium D and intel motherboard using a
| 945 chipset so that I can upgrade to XP pro. The 98SE install was successful
| but upon rebooting, an insufficient memory to load windows message appears
| and the bootup ends. My system has 1GB of RAM, clearly enough for 98SE. I
| checked the operating systems that the motherboard has been tested with and
| XP was the only OS listed. Do I assume that my motherboard is not backwards
| compatible with previous versions of windows? I tried installing the XP
| upgrade afterwards but the install went nowhere. Any workarounds are
| appreciated.

The operation was a success however, the patient died :-(

Win9x/ME has problems with RAM greater than 512MB (half a gigabyte). That's your problem.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

> From: "Section 9" <Section 9@discussions.microsoft.com>
>
> | I am trying to install 98SE OEM on a pentium D and intel motherboard using a
> | 945 chipset so that I can upgrade to XP pro. The 98SE install was successful

If it was an empty Volume C / HardDiskDrive, reformat and install WinXP
directly.
You should not need to install the earlier OS first, you will be asked
by the WinXP installer for proof that you have it and do so by inserting
the Win98 CD.

--
Please followup in newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

"... et al." wrote:

> > From: "Section 9" <Section 9@discussions.microsoft.com>
> >
> > | I am trying to install 98SE OEM on a pentium D and intel motherboard using a
> > | 945 chipset so that I can upgrade to XP pro. The 98SE install was successful
>
> If it was an empty Volume C / HardDiskDrive, reformat and install WinXP
> directly.
> You should not need to install the earlier OS first, you will be asked
> by the WinXP installer for proof that you have it and do so by inserting
> the Win98 CD.

I reformatted volume C and booted up with the 2002 XP upgrade CD. I hit
enter after receiving the message Press Any Key to Boot from the CD... The
screen goes blank but nothing else happens. I can read the CD with no problem
on my current PC. Is this the message that normally comes up?

> --
> Please followup in newsgroup.
> E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 6, 2005 10:46:30 PM

This is now a question for a Win2K group, not this one.

--

> "... et al." wrote:
>
>> > From: "Section 9" <Section 9@discussions.microsoft.com>

>> > using a
>> > successful
>>
>> If it was an empty Volume C / HardDiskDrive, reformat and install WinXP
>> directly.
>> You should not need to install the earlier OS first, you will be asked
>> by the WinXP installer for proof that you have it and do so by inserting
>> the Win98 CD.
>
> I reformatted volume C and booted up with the 2002 XP upgrade CD. I hit
> enter after receiving the message Press Any Key to Boot from the CD... The
> screen goes blank but nothing else happens. I can read the CD with no
> problem
> on my current PC. Is this the message that normally comes up?
>

>> --
>> Please followup in newsgroup.
>> E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 7, 2005 1:35:22 AM

"Section 9" <Section9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C424F468-533F-4C05-95B3-2F3B24E9098F@microsoft.com...
> "... et al." wrote:
>
>> > From: "Section 9" <Section 9@discussions.microsoft.com>

>> If it was an empty Volume C / HardDiskDrive, reformat and install WinXP
>> directly.
>> You should not need to install the earlier OS first, you will be asked
>> by the WinXP installer for proof that you have it and do so by inserting
>> the Win98 CD.
>
> I reformatted volume C and booted up with the 2002 XP upgrade CD. I hit
> enter after receiving the message Press Any Key to Boot from the CD... The
> screen goes blank but nothing else happens. I can read the CD with no problem
> on my current PC. Is this the message that normally comes up?

It's a normal message and event for some BIOSs, but it's not desirable that it didn't boot ;) .
Is this a non-OEM CD? Some CDROM drives just won't boot.

The following link should help. You'll need 6 floppies.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 7, 2005 1:55:40 AM

Yeah, the 2002 threw me, <g>.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> From: "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org>
>
> | This is now a question for a Win2K group, not this one.
> |
> | --
> | Gary S. Terhune
> | MS-MVP Shell/User
> |

> Gary:
>
> I think you mean WinXP ;-)
>
> i.e., microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
>

> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 7, 2005 9:31:58 AM

Section 9 wrote:

> "... et al." wrote:
>
>>>From: "Section 9" <Section 9@discussions.microsoft.com>

>>If it was an empty Volume C / HardDiskDrive, reformat and install WinXP
>>directly.
>>You should not need to install the earlier OS first, you will be asked
>>by the WinXP installer for proof that you have it and do so by inserting
>>the Win98 CD.
>
> I reformatted volume C and booted up with the 2002 XP upgrade CD. I hit
> enter after receiving the message Press Any Key to Boot from the CD... The
> screen goes blank but nothing else happens. I can read the CD with no problem
> on my current PC. Is this the message that normally comes up?

Hi, my earlier suggestion was because it would have become a cleaner
WinXP installation without any Win98 leftoverfiles ... if it had worked.
I have, helping a person, used a Win98SE Upgrade CD (or perhaps an
'Update CD') and showed the installer a CD with an earlier OS version as
proof and that went well. I have only read that one could do the same
with a WinXP Upgrade CD.

However, just after my previous post i read a discussion between Stan
Brown & Bruce Chambers[1] that casts some doubt over that. Stan is
still, i checked a few minutes ago, without confirmation. And if the
WinXP Upgrade CD isn't even bootable perhaps it's even less likely.

So perhaps it's easier to open the computercase and remove some RAM
cards (assuming it's not a single 1 GB RAM card in your machine) while
installing Win98 and updating to WinXP.

But if you still want to try to get a clean WinXP installation, and also
test if the Upgrade CD accepts the a Win98 CD as qualifying media,
CQuirke[2] describes a way to start the WinXP installation from a
Boot-floppy with CD support, by executing '[CD]:\i386\WinNT.exe' (with
some switches), that might work for you.

The posts i reference, can be found by typing in the Message ID in