Add/Remove - How to remove invalid entries in Add/Remove P..

My add/remove list has several entries that I cannot delete because the
original setup CDs and/or files needed for proper removal are no longer
available.

Examples are early-generation Kodak Picture CD entries that require the
original volume/group setup CDs be provided before add/remove of the entry
continues; also, spyware/adware and network downloads whose folders were
previously deleted.

Is there any method to remove the listed entries when the normal removal
won't work?
4 answers Last reply
More about remove remove invalid entries remove

    As Alan advised, you can simply remove the name of the item from the list.
    This does not uninstall or otherwise get rid of the application. The only
    decent way to do that is to either find the original disks, or find an
    updated version online, install and then uninstall properly. Same goes for
    apps that have had their installation folders deleted.

    It's possible for an expert to clean up such messes manually (search out
    remaining files, Registry entries, etc.) but it ain't easy. First thing to
    do is find out if the support site for the application if there is one, and
    see what they may have to offer. However, if you have a lot of this kind if
    stuff to clean up,backup, reformat and reinstall from scratch will be
    easier, faster and more sure to succeed.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "SC-Don" <SC-Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My add/remove list has several entries that I cannot delete because the
    > original setup CDs and/or files needed for proper removal are no longer
    > available.
    >
    > Examples are early-generation Kodak Picture CD entries that require the
    > original volume/group setup CDs be provided before add/remove of the entry
    > continues; also, spyware/adware and network downloads whose folders were
    > previously deleted.
    >
    > Is there any method to remove the listed entries when the normal removal
    > won't work?

    "SC-Don" <SC-Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > My add/remove list has several entries that I cannot delete because the
    > original setup CDs and/or files needed for proper removal are no longer
    > available.

    TweakUI can be used to remove homeless items
    from the Add/Remove list.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Alan & Gary --
    Many thanks!
    Don

    "SC-Don" wrote:

    > My add/remove list has several entries that I cannot delete because the
    > original setup CDs and/or files needed for proper removal are no longer
    > available.
    >
    > Examples are early-generation Kodak Picture CD entries that require the
    > original volume/group setup CDs be provided before add/remove of the entry
    > continues; also, spyware/adware and network downloads whose folders were
    > previously deleted.
    >
    > Is there any method to remove the listed entries when the normal removal
    > won't work?

    Delete them (with care and after you have exported them for safety)
    using Regedit.
    Start-Run-Regedit
    Navigate to this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
    You will find the entries in subkeys.

    ....Alan
    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 23:42:13 -0700, SC-Don
    <SC-Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >My add/remove list has several entries that I cannot delete because the
    >original setup CDs and/or files needed for proper removal are no longer
    >available.
    >
    >Examples are early-generation Kodak Picture CD entries that require the
    >original volume/group setup CDs be provided before add/remove of the entry
    >continues; also, spyware/adware and network downloads whose folders were
    >previously deleted.
    >
    >Is there any method to remove the listed entries when the normal removal
    >won't work?

Windows