Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows '98 SE

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 3:44:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.setup (More info?)

I've got an old laptop (PII, 266Mhz, 128 Mb). I was running windows98, but
decided to upgrade to windowsME to run certain software. It was too much for
my laptop and it struggled. I'm now trying to upgrade to 98 SE. I set the
BIOS to 1st drive CD-ROM and sure enough it detects the disk and tries to
install, but then I get error message saying that it is too big. But I
managed previously to load windowsME, which surely would have been bigger!

Help

Peter

More about : windows

Anonymous
September 6, 2005 3:44:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.setup (More info?)

You can't upgrade to Windows 98 SE from ME. From what you report, you have
already installed ME to the system but it doesn't work, right? If you can't
make ME work, you are stuck with reformatting and reinstalling Win98SE from
scratch. If you still get that message after reformatting the installation
partition, then it's something we can talk about.

Please describe the Windows 98 SE CD that you have. What does it look like,
what does it say? Is this the disk that came originally with the machine?
What make/model machine do you have?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Peter Brown" <solvino@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
news:431d7514$1_4@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...
> I've got an old laptop (PII, 266Mhz, 128 Mb). I was running windows98, but
> decided to upgrade to windowsME to run certain software. It was too much
> for
> my laptop and it struggled. I'm now trying to upgrade to 98 SE. I set the
> BIOS to 1st drive CD-ROM and sure enough it detects the disk and tries to
> install, but then I get error message saying that it is too big. But I
> managed previously to load windowsME, which surely would have been bigger!
>
> Help
>
> Peter
>
>
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 3:59:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.setup (More info?)

Peter Brown wrote:
> I've got an old laptop (PII, 266Mhz, 128 Mb). I was running windows98, but
> decided to upgrade to windowsME to run certain software. It was too much
for
> my laptop and it struggled. I'm now trying to upgrade to 98 SE.

You can't. That's not an "upgrade", that's a "downgrade".
(speaking literally here, and not about how I feel about those two operating
systems!).

You'll have to start all over again if you really want to go back to Win98
(e.g: format, install Win98 and all programs again, etc)
Related resources
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 6:18:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.setup (More info?)

Sorry, I should have been clearer. After ME went wrong I formated the
HDD and then reinstalled Windows98. However, I can't run certain
programs for my digital camera etc and noticed that the programs ran
with 98SE. I thought that it wouldn't be such a big step from 98 (which
works) to 98SE.


Bill in Co. wrote:
> Peter Brown wrote:
> > I've got an old laptop (PII, 266Mhz, 128 Mb). I was running windows98, but
> > decided to upgrade to windowsME to run certain software. It was too much
> for
> > my laptop and it struggled. I'm now trying to upgrade to 98 SE.
>
> You can't. That's not an "upgrade", that's a "downgrade".
> (speaking literally here, and not about how I feel about those two operating
> systems!).
>
> You'll have to start all over again if you really want to go back to Win98
> (e.g: format, install Win98 and all programs again, etc)
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 6:33:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.setup (More info?)

Peter Brown <solvino@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
news:431d7514$1_4@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...
> I've got an old laptop (PII, 266Mhz, 128 Mb). I was running windows98, but
> decided to upgrade to windowsME to run certain software. It was too much
for
> my laptop and it struggled. I'm now trying to upgrade to 98 SE. I set the
> BIOS to 1st drive CD-ROM and sure enough it detects the disk and tries to
> install, but then I get error message saying that it is too big. But I
> managed previously to load windowsME, which surely would have been bigger!

Make boot floppy that has cdrom drivers.
After booting from floppy goto cdrom drive
and into the WIN98 directory.
Then type setup and you'll be on your way.

charles.....
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 7:22:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.setup (More info?)

So, you now have Windows 98 and you wish to upgrade to Windows 98 SE?

Please lead us through your procedures step-by-step until the error message.
Example: I put in a floppy startup disk, restart, wait for floppy to finish
booting, can't read the CDROM, <error message>....

Please tell us exactly what the error message says.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

<peter.jennifer@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1126041514.885160.199130@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Sorry, I should have been clearer. After ME went wrong I formated the
> HDD and then reinstalled Windows98. However, I can't run certain
> programs for my digital camera etc and noticed that the programs ran
> with 98SE. I thought that it wouldn't be such a big step from 98 (which
> works) to 98SE.
>
>
> Bill in Co. wrote:
>> Peter Brown wrote:
>> > I've got an old laptop (PII, 266Mhz, 128 Mb). I was running windows98,
>> > but
>> > decided to upgrade to windowsME to run certain software. It was too
>> > much
>> for
>> > my laptop and it struggled. I'm now trying to upgrade to 98 SE.
>>
>> You can't. That's not an "upgrade", that's a "downgrade".
>> (speaking literally here, and not about how I feel about those two
>> operating
>> systems!).
>>
>> You'll have to start all over again if you really want to go back to
>> Win98
>> (e.g: format, install Win98 and all programs again, etc)
>
!