shlwapi.dll and regsvr32.exe

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
September 6, 2005 12:09:17 PM

I installed the latest Win98 critical updates and then on reboot got the
error shlwapi.dll not found. I extrcated the shlwapi.dll file from the
relevant WIN98 cabinet . Then I got the error that shlwapi.dll was not
registered. When I boot into DOS to run regsvr32.exe shlwapi.dll I get told
that this program does not work in DOS mode, but IO cannot run in anything
other than DOS mode! What do I do now?
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 5:40:09 PM

From where did you "install the latest Win98 critical updates", Windows
Update or did "Microsoft" send you the update in an attachment to an email?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

CharAp wrote:
> I installed the latest Win98 critical updates and then on reboot got the
> error shlwapi.dll not found. I extrcated the shlwapi.dll file from the
> relevant WIN98 cabinet . Then I got the error that shlwapi.dll was not
> registered. When I boot into DOS to run regsvr32.exe shlwapi.dll I get
> told that this program does not work in DOS mode, but IO cannot run in
> anything other than DOS mode! What do I do now?
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 5:46:17 AM

From the Microsoft Update website; I'm daft but I'm not stupid!

Charles

"PA Bear" wrote:

> From where did you "install the latest Win98 critical updates", Windows
> Update or did "Microsoft" send you the update in an attachment to an email?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
>
> CharAp wrote:
> > I installed the latest Win98 critical updates and then on reboot got the
> > error shlwapi.dll not found. I extrcated the shlwapi.dll file from the
> > relevant WIN98 cabinet . Then I got the error that shlwapi.dll was not
> > registered. When I boot into DOS to run regsvr32.exe shlwapi.dll I get
> > told that this program does not work in DOS mode, but IO cannot run in
> > anything other than DOS mode! What do I do now?

September 7, 2005 8:40:19 PM

[You never can tell around here.]

To assure a clean install of anything, including Windows Updates, your
anti-virus application should be disabled and all other running processes
closed before beginning the install.

Try overinstalling IE6 SP1:

First, close *everything* via CTRL+ALT+DEL except Windows Explorer (includes
your AV program, Scheduled Tasks, Screensaver, and going offline).
Start>Run>IE6Setup.exe. Select Minimal - Custom; Select all the parts you
use, including OE (but none you didn't originally download) and overinstall.
Should take about 2 minutes. Reboot the computer.

Now, with AV and all other running processes still closed, check in at
Windows Update for additional updates and patches you may need.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

CharAp wrote:
> From the Microsoft Update website; I'm daft but I'm not stupid!
>
> Charles
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>
> > From where did you "install the latest Win98 critical updates", Windows
> > Update or did "Microsoft" send you the update in an attachment to an
> > email? --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
> >
> > CharAp wrote:
> > > I installed the latest Win98 critical updates and then on reboot got
> > > the error shlwapi.dll not found. I extrcated the shlwapi.dll file
> > > from the relevant WIN98 cabinet . Then I got the error that
> > > shlwapi.dll was not registered. When I boot into DOS to run
> > > regsvr32.exe shlwapi.dll I get told that this program does not work
> > > in DOS mode, but IO cannot run in anything other than DOS mode! What
> > > do I do now?
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 11:10:39 PM

oops!! wrote:
> I know the flaws because I have been trying to help Charles in a forum...

URL for the forum thread, please?
--
~PA Bear
Anonymous

Charles should post here everything he has already tried and the resulting
error massages.

He cannot start Windows at all, hence an IE reinstall is impossible.

But I will let him post all the details.

This will be important so that everyone knows the difficulties he is facing
and hopefully someone will post some fresh ideas to troubleshoot his
problem.

Cheers,

Zee

> [You never can tell around here.]
>
> To assure a clean install of anything, including Windows Updates, your
> anti-virus application should be disabled and all other running processes
> closed before beginning the install.
>
> Try overinstalling IE6 SP1:
>
> First, close *everything* via CTRL+ALT+DEL except Windows Explorer
(includes
> your AV program, Scheduled Tasks, Screensaver, and going offline).
> Start>Run>IE6Setup.exe. Select Minimal - Custom; Select all the parts you
> use, including OE (but none you didn't originally download) and
overinstall.
> Should take about 2 minutes. Reboot the computer.
>
> Now, with AV and all other running processes still closed, check in at
> Windows Update for additional updates and patches you may need.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
>

> CharAp wrote:
> > From the Microsoft Update website; I'm daft but I'm not stupid!
> >
> > Charles
> >
> > "PA Bear" wrote:
> >
> > > From where did you "install the latest Win98 critical updates",
Windows
> > > Update or did "Microsoft" send you the update in an attachment to an
> > > email? --
> > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

What

Anonymous
September 8, 2005 12:07:10 PM

Thanks everyone, should I continue asking for help here or are we all moving
over to Experts-Exchange? This is a very frustrating problem on a PC that
whilst old is/was still doing an importnat job.

"oops!!" wrote:

> > URL for the forum thread, please?
> > --
> > ~PA Bear
>

> http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Win98...

Anonymous
September 8, 2005 7:07:28 PM

You are in a catch 22 situation, if you can run no shell-- not even Winfile-- in which you could un/over-install IE. Apparently, you need to register shlwapi.dll before you can run a Windows app that will register it! WELL...

http://www.ericphelps.com/batch/registry/
.......Quote.............
If you intend to use REGEDIT from a boot disk, you'll need to use the L and R options to specify where the registry files are located. You can read the REGEDIT DOS help only from DOS (Not from a DOS window) by typing "regedit /?". If you're too lazy to reboot into DOS mode to see the command-line help, I'll show you:

REGEDIT [/L:system] [/R:user] filename1
REGEDIT [/L:system] [/R:user] /C filename2
REGEDIT [/L:system] [/R:user] /E filename3 [regpath1]
REGEDIT [/L:system] [/R:user] /D regpath2

/L:system Specifies the location of the SYSTEM.DAT file.
/R:user Specifies the location of the USER.DAT file.
filename1 Specifies the file(s) to import into the registry.
/C filename2 Specifies the file to create the registry from.
/E filename3 Specifies the file to export the registry to.
/S Silent (don't ask user to confirm action).
regpath1 Specifies the starting registry key to export from.
(Defaults to exporting the entire registry).
/D regpath2 Specifies the registry key to delete.
.......EOQ...............

NOTE: I, myself, am not too lazy to do it, but I don't want to lose my NET connection, is all.

I find shlwapi.dll to be mentioned 4 times in my Registry in 3 keys...

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Components\5B1D22D30129C7644BA42486B5664C06]
"0267BC36324B1FB47A4E57BBB84647E0"="C?\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\Shlwapi.dll"
"00000000000000000000000000000000"="C?\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\Shlwapi.dll"

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs]
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\Shlwapi.dll"=dword:00000003

.........STARTS after this dotted line.........
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\KnownDLLs]
"SHLWAPI"="SHLWAPI.DLL"

........ENDS before this one.....................

I would try the bottom one first. Create a text file named "NownDLL.reg" in C:\Windows\Temp. It needs the null line at bottom. Then, in DOS...

REGEDIT C:\Windows\Temp\NownDLL.reg

....should Import it into the Registry & may constitute a registering of SHLWAPI.DLL.

BUT I've never actually done that! Therefore, perhaps wait a bit for further commentary!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"CharAp" <CharAp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:55D0945D-3303-4BD1-AAC5-92FA3CBFD486@microsoft.com...
| Thanks everyone, should I continue asking for help here or are we all moving
| over to Experts-Exchange? This is a very frustrating problem on a PC that
| whilst old is/was still doing an importnat job.
|

| "oops!!" wrote:
|
| > > URL for the forum thread, please?
| > > --
| > > ~PA Bear
| >

| > http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Win98...

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 4:23:22 AM

This seems to have worked for another who couldn't boot to Winfile or
Progman...

Make Command.com your shell, & see whether you can boot successfully.
That is, use "Shell=Command.com" in System.ini (instead of
Explorer.exe-- the same as you formerly did with Winfile/Progman).

AFTER you have boot to Command.com, you will be in a DOS box. Try
this...

DIR "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\Setup.exe"

You need the quotes, thus...
C:\>dir "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\Setup.exe"
Directory of C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup
SETUP EXE 353,280 10-20-00 12:00a SETUP.EXE
1 file(s) 353,280 bytes

If it exists, it will look like that. Then, to restore the previous
version of Internet Explorer...

START /w "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\Setup.exe"

If it doesn't exist, then...

DIR "C:\WINDOWS\Windows Update Setup Files\ie6setup.exe"

Should look like this...
C:\>dir "C:\WINDOWS\Windows Update Setup Files\ie6setup.exe"
Directory of C:\WINDOWS\Windows Update Setup Files
IE6SETUP EXE 490,608 09-26-02 10:53p ie6setup.exe
1 file(s) 490,608 bytes

....or...
DIR "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IE6Setup.exe"

Thus...
C:\>dir "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IE6Setup.exe"
Directory of C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer
IE6SETUP EXE 490,608 09-26-02 10:53p ie6setup.exe
1 file(s) 490,608 bytes

And, if either exists, to over-install IE...

START /w "C:\WINDOWS\Windows Update Setup Files\ie6setup.exe"
....or...
START /w "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ie6setup.exe"

If this runs, as that site said... "Do a custom install and check all
the Bold faced options. When the setup program alerts you that these
files are already installed, tell it to reinstall all of the files." Or,
as Bear says... "Select Minimal - Custom; Select all the parts you use,
including OE (but none you didn't originally download) and overinstall.
Should take about 2 minutes.".

NOW, remember to change that "Shell=Command.com" back to
"Shell=Explorer.exe" in System.ini, [Boot] section, & hopefully reboot
to Windows!

NOTE: If you are IE5, then the DOS command would be...

START /w "C:\Windows Update Setup Files\ie5setup.exe"
....or...
START /w "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ie5setup.exe"

OK. Good luck!

--

!