CPU voltage question.

x86_64

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Lowering the voltage does lower the temperatures, but it also reduces the stability of the processor if it remains at the same clock settings. Such as if the CPU is 2GHz @ 1v, and you lower to .9v and keep it @ 2GHz, the CPU is now undervolted and might become unstable. Only time you lower the voltages is if you're trying to do your own EIST or C&Q, and always adjust CPU frequency according to voltages, meaning, if you lower voltages, lower CPU frequency, and vice versa (as well as raising).

-x86_64

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Sometimes you can lower the voltage, and maintain stability. It's the same

as getting a good overclocking chip that is, say, a 3.0 GHz and take it up to

3.8 GHz at stock voltage. If it can do 3.8 @ 1.3v, then it can probably do

3.0 @ 1.2v. I've run lots of chips at lower than stock volts, with no problems.

But, as always nothing is gauranteed....only one way to find out.

Hi just wondering if you put the core voltage lower to lower the temp. of the CPU will the CPU run the same if its at stock voltage?

Yes, the temp will drop. But the amount of voltage you can drop is different from CPU to CPU. My Athlon XP 2500+ inside an Atec Aria with less than good airflow can run at stock speed with only 1.375v which is much lower than the the default of 1.65v

My desktop has an Athlon XP-M 2600+ that I can run at 2.0GHz using 1.4v; the default is 1.575v.

You need to play around with your voltage to determine what is the minimum to maintain stability.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Try experimenting with your cpu then. I got my 840 to 1.15v stable at stock speed and got 5c lower on the temps. Now it's idling at 34c at 30c room temp with water cooling on the silent lowest speed. If you're not overclocking then find the lowest most stable voltage on your cpu for it gives you lower temps and makes the cooler runs at the slowest thus a more quiter pc.