Windows Explorer Issue

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
September 6, 2005 9:15:45 PM

Windows Explorer (Windows 98 SE) will not copy and paste. Cannot copy a file
or directory in Windows Explorer via menu command, keyboard shortcut, or the
mouse's right click menu to move files or/and directories. Two (2) questions:
1.> Can Windows Explorer itself be re-extracted from a CAB file to correct
this issue, or not? and 2.> What fix is there other than a complete
re-install of the OS?

More about : windows explorer issue

Anonymous
September 6, 2005 9:21:40 PM

Have you tried these operations within Internet Explorer (it will say
Microsoft Internet Explorer in the title bar)?
If re-extracting Explorer doesn't work, then maybe a critical DLL file may
be corrupt or improperly registered.

--
This is A SQUARE HOUSE. Please report any un-fairness to the proprietor

"RISC777" wrote:

> Windows Explorer (Windows 98 SE) will not copy and paste. Cannot copy a file
> or directory in Windows Explorer via menu command, keyboard shortcut, or the
> mouse's right click menu to move files or/and directories. Two (2) questions:
> 1.> Can Windows Explorer itself be re-extracted from a CAB file to correct
> this issue, or not? and 2.> What fix is there other than a complete
> re-install of the OS?
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 9:22:50 PM

Internet Explorer has to be re-installed, which isn't accomplished yet. (A
re-fdisk, format, OS load, app.s load hasn't been done to date due to my CD
writer not being recognized by the system/DirectCD as a writable device and
unable to back up everything I need to before re-doing the whole disk - which
I do every 6 months due to the install / un-install of many pieces of
hardware and various software.)

The thing that is bothering me is I cannot locate explorer.exe to re-extract
it. I've got the shell CAB viewer applied and have gone through every
stinking .CAB file on my drive and the Win98SE CD without locating anything
named specifically explorer.exe or/and explorer.scf. --> If you can specify
which .CAB that guy is in that alone might be the solution.

Thanks for the response. I'll be seeing how Internet Explorer responds.

"ottermi619 (A+)" wrote:

> Have you tried these operations within Internet Explorer (it will say
> Microsoft Internet Explorer in the title bar)?
> If re-extracting Explorer doesn't work, then maybe a critical DLL file may
> be corrupt or improperly registered.
>
> --
> This is A SQUARE HOUSE. Please report any un-fairness to the proprietor

> "RISC777" wrote:
>
> Windows Explorer (Windows 98 SE) will not copy and paste. Cannot copy a file
> or directory in Windows Explorer via menu command, keyboard shortcut, or the
> mouse's right click menu to move files or/and directories. Two (2) questions:
> 1.> Can Windows Explorer itself be re-extracted from a CAB file to correct
> this issue, or not? and 2.> What fix is there other than a complete
> re-install of the OS?
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 4:36:04 PM

ottermi619,

Re-installing Internet Explorer enabled Windows Explorer to copy/paste. So,
it fits with the .DLL corruption, missing, or mis-registered probability.

The fact that Internet Explorer itself does not function is of no concern
since I don't use it for Net browsing.

Case/Issue closed.

Thanks for the suggestion(s),
RISC777