Sound Failing after failed USB 2.0 install.

I did not realize USB 2.0 does not work with Win98 SE. I tried
installing USB2.0 PCI card on Win98 SE. I tried several times to load
the drivers and it kept finding new hardware and just would not accept
it. I therefore removed the hardware and the drivers. NOw my sound is
malfunctioining. I find it hard to believe that the failed USB install
can afftect the sound. Must be a coincidence... But I am giving the
sequence of things done to the PC just before failure. Prior to the USB
2.0 failure I aborted a new 3.5in Harddrive install because there was no
additional 3.5in bay and I could not find anywhere that sold the
mounting kit to convert a 5.25in bay to a 3.5in bay. It was a Sunday. So
the Plan B was to buy a USB 2.0 Harddrive enclosure and install the
drive externally. The integrated USB 1.1 ports did not work also.

Now, when the sound is to come on it takes the first note and repeats
it perpetually. So, if I click on the volume control in the tray to test
the sound, instead of hearing one ping. you hear ping, ping, ping,
ping,,,,ping,,,,, continuously. The only way to stop it is to mute the
sound, plug out the speaker cable or restart the PC.

Any thoughts on what could be happening here?

Thanks.
Locksley
5 answers Last reply
More about sound failing failed install

    I don't have a USB 2 device, but the drivers for my mobo's USB 2 went in
    fine.

    Things to bear in mind. The USB 2.0 part will eat up an irq, and may cause
    problems with other devices if PNP is not up to snuff.
    Even on a addon card, the USB 1.1 drivers have to be installed before the
    USB 2.0 driver is implemented for that card. The 1.1 drivers are on the
    Win98SE install CD.
    If you have an older PC, and the USB 2.0 card is 2.2 PCI compliant, maybe
    your PC can't work with it properly.

    Have to say on the sound. My guess is that the sound card got kicked to
    another irq sharing with something that's not friendly.

    "Locksley O. Young" <locksley@att.net> wrote in message
    > I did not realize USB 2.0 does not work with Win98 SE. I tried
    > installing USB2.0 PCI card on Win98 SE. I tried several times to load
    > the drivers and it kept finding new hardware and just would not accept
    > it. I therefore removed the hardware and the drivers. NOw my sound is
    > malfunctioining. I find it hard to believe that the failed USB install
    > can afftect the sound. Must be a coincidence... But I am giving the
    > sequence of things done to the PC just before failure. Prior to the USB
    > 2.0 failure I aborted a new 3.5in Harddrive install because there was no
    > additional 3.5in bay and I could not find anywhere that sold the
    > mounting kit to convert a 5.25in bay to a 3.5in bay. It was a Sunday. So
    > the Plan B was to buy a USB 2.0 Harddrive enclosure and install the
    > drive externally. The integrated USB 1.1 ports did not work also.
    >
    > Now, when the sound is to come on it takes the first note and repeats
    > it perpetually. So, if I click on the volume control in the tray to test
    > the sound, instead of hearing one ping. you hear ping, ping, ping,
    > ping,,,,ping,,,,, continuously. The only way to stop it is to mute the
    > sound, plug out the speaker cable or restart the PC.
    >
    > Any thoughts on what could be happening here?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Locksley

    Thanks for the reply!!
    If the sound card got kicked to another irq.... How do you fix that...
    change the irq????

    Thanks...
    Locksley

    Locksley O. Young wrote:
    > I did not realize USB 2.0 does not work with Win98 SE. I tried
    > installing USB2.0 PCI card on Win98 SE. I tried several times to load
    > the drivers and it kept finding new hardware and just would not accept
    > it. I therefore removed the hardware and the drivers. NOw my sound is
    > malfunctioining. I find it hard to believe that the failed USB install
    > can afftect the sound. Must be a coincidence... But I am giving the
    > sequence of things done to the PC just before failure. Prior to the USB
    > 2.0 failure I aborted a new 3.5in Harddrive install because there was no
    > additional 3.5in bay and I could not find anywhere that sold the
    > mounting kit to convert a 5.25in bay to a 3.5in bay. It was a Sunday. So
    > the Plan B was to buy a USB 2.0 Harddrive enclosure and install the
    > drive externally. The integrated USB 1.1 ports did not work also.
    >
    > Now, when the sound is to come on it takes the first note and repeats
    > it perpetually. So, if I click on the volume control in the tray to test
    > the sound, instead of hearing one ping. you hear ping, ping, ping,
    > ping,,,,ping,,,,, continuously. The only way to stop it is to mute the
    > sound, plug out the speaker cable or restart the PC.
    >
    > Any thoughts on what could be happening here?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Locksley

    I'm using usb 2.0 with 98SE on a laptop CARDBUS and two desktops, PCI.
    I also had all manner of problems.
    There's an update collection that fixed everything for me.
    http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html
    This is an updated version from what worked for me. YMMV.
    Also a note on that page about fixing sound problems.
    mike

    ..
    Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
    MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

    Drive bay adapter
    http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?edc=380482

    As for the sound, uninstall/reinstall the drivers. If still no joy, boot to
    Safe Mode and remove any/all devices listed for the sound under Sound, Video and
    Game controllers, close out, reboot and reinstall.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://basconotw.mvps.org/

    Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Locksley O. Young" <locksley@att.net> wrote in message
    >I did not realize USB 2.0 does not work with Win98 SE. I tried installing
    >USB2.0 PCI card on Win98 SE. I tried several times to load the drivers and it
    >kept finding new hardware and just would not accept it. I therefore removed the
    >hardware and the drivers. NOw my sound is malfunctioining. I find it hard to
    >believe that the failed USB install can afftect the sound. Must be a
    >coincidence... But I am giving the sequence of things done to the PC just
    >before failure. Prior to the USB 2.0 failure I aborted a new 3.5in Harddrive
    >install because there was no additional 3.5in bay and I could not find anywhere
    >that sold the mounting kit to convert a 5.25in bay to a 3.5in bay. It was a
    >Sunday. So the Plan B was to buy a USB 2.0 Harddrive enclosure and install the
    >drive externally. The integrated USB 1.1 ports did not work also.
    >
    > Now, when the sound is to come on it takes the first note and repeats it
    > perpetually. So, if I click on the volume control in the tray to test the
    > sound, instead of hearing one ping. you hear ping, ping, ping,
    > ping,,,,ping,,,,, continuously. The only way to stop it is to mute the sound,
    > plug out the speaker cable or restart the PC.
    >
    > Any thoughts on what could be happening here?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Locksley

Hardware USB Windows