me1234

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
one of my drives [the one with windows and games] wd 200jd sometimes gets to about 36-37C is this ok? the other one wd 250js runs at 29c max. i have a chieftec bx03 case and the drives are cooled by 3 92mm fans blowing on them. also my comp sometimes resets itself [not very often] but anyway could this be the cause? amdx2 3800 @2200mhz@30C[freezer 64pro], 1gb corsair ddr400@ 440mhz, msi k8n sli platinum, gf 7800gt, 535w enermax psu and a total of 5x92mm fans and 1x120mm in the system

x86_64

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
According to hard drive manufacturers, the optimal temperatures for hard drives is 25c. As long as you keep it below 40c, don't panic. Though, you'll want to try and get them to below 32c, as that's the best temperatures for optimal life time.

The resets might be caused by overloading the PSU, a 535w is a bit low for what you have.

-x86_64

radeonninjaxt

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
According to hard drive manufacturers, the optimal temperatures for hard drives is 25c. As long as you keep it below 40c, don't panic. Though, you'll want to try and get them to below 32c, as that's the best temperatures for optimal life time.

The resets might be caused by overloading the PSU, a 535w is a bit low for what you have.

-x86_64

Well I guess im screwed then because my HD temp is 51 deg celcius :oops:

me1234

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
the fans blow from the back of the drives towards the front(the part where the wires are plugged) [obviously] anyway its according to case manufacturers specification. the space where the hdds are is a little bit isolated from the rest, its quite smart :D

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I really truly doubt that 535 watts is too little for that system. I run a prescott and have a 310 watt PSU and have never had any lockups or anything like that, and I run 2 instances of F@H 24/7. Mind you I don't have a high end graphics card (radeon x600) but I do have it overclocked whenever I'm playing a game. Still I think 535 watts is good enough for his needs.

I'm not sure about the optimal temp for a hard drive being 25 degrees. If that was the case then all those people who live anywhere where its hot, their computers are all screwed. I have a few friends who live in arizona all year round and they still have hard drives from 10 years ago or so and they've never had a hard drive go down on them even though it gets to 45-50 'C there on really hot days.

I don't think your hard drive temp is bad, some people would say so but there's a line where being cautious goes overboard and becomes paranoid, like saying you need to have liquid cooling for your hard drive and you need to build your computer in a mini fridge. I wouldn't worry, but then again, what do i know?

x86_64

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
the fans blow from the back of the drives towards the front(the part where the wires are plugged) [obviously] anyway its according to case manufacturers specification. the space where the hdds are is a little bit isolated from the rest, its quite smart :D

@Bigspy:

I said according to HDD manufacturers...but hey, what do the people who MAKE the shit know about it?

I've been building servers and workstations probably while you were still in diapers, and I severly doubt your friends have a drive 10 years old and still runs that hasn't been off for 9 of those and at those temps.

You say you have a 310w PSU? Well, you must have a real slow prescott, because at full load, a 3.6GHz prescott draws OVER 310w...hmm...maybe your computer is special.

Most HDD's will survive high temps, because I guarantee there is airflow on them of some sort, and as long as that is the case, they're temps are alot lower than standing air.

From my experience (oh boy, it's quite a bit too!) 535w is not enough. Given most newer CPU's can draw more than 200w, and GPU's can draw near 100w or more (depending on SLI or configuration/overclocking).

@Poster: As long as you got a fan on it, you're good. You can DL S.M.A.R.T. and see if your drives are dying.

-x86_64

Scarchunk

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
If it's a Western Digital SATA HDD that was purchased fairly recently than it's probably a bad sensor reading. My Western Digital 120GB SATA drive registers 54C from my utilities even though it passes SMART and the Western Digital fitness tests. I contacted Western Digital about it and this the response:

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.

The WD2500JS drives have a known issue involving the internal temperature sensors in the drives. These temperature sensors report the temperature incorrectly to the SMART reporting feature, and any temperature monitoring utilities which use these readings to judge drive temperature will also report the temperature incorrectly. This issue does not otherwise effect the performance of the drives.

Different temperature-gauging methods sometimes produce different temperature readings. The best way to measure Western Digital hard drive temperatures involves using a temperature sensor. Instructions for properly measuring the temperature of our drives are included in a link below. Normal operating temperatures for most of our drives range from 5C-55C. It is very important that the drive receive proper air flow. It may be necessary to install an extra fan to help with air ventilation.

Also, we suggest running our Data Lifeguard Diagnostics utility on the drive. If the drive passes the extended test with no errors, then the drive is working correctly. If the drive comes back with errors, you may need to replace it.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

-x86_64

Well I guess im screwed then because my HD temp is 51 deg celcius :oops:

Must be a Maxtor. 8O