Will IE6 Sp1 reinstall destroy my OE files?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
September 7, 2005 2:29:07 PM

I am going to reinstall my IE6, Sp1.

I read that it will install the latest versions of the browser and OE.

I don't want to loose anything, i.e., programs, and especially the
information in OE.

Is it safe to install IE6 and the new OE, when asked, or do I need to do
something to make sure my files and email stay intact?

If so, especially with OE, what do I need to do to make sure I keep all my
accounts/options/emails/newsgroups and so on?

Thanks,
Bob T
I don't want to loose my programs & links, nor especially, my OE files.

Will the download of IE6,
September 7, 2005 6:45:53 PM

In news:7000D807-6219-47A6-9631-406CCEB79167@microsoft.com,
sunslight <sunslight@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I am going to reinstall my IE6, Sp1.
>
> I read that it will install the latest versions of the browser and OE.
>
> I don't want to loose anything, i.e., programs, and especially the
> information in OE.
>
> Is it safe to install IE6 and the new OE, when asked, or do I need to
> do something to make sure my files and email stay intact?
>
> If so, especially with OE, what do I need to do to make sure I keep
> all my accounts/options/emails/newsgroups and so on?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob T
> I don't want to loose my programs & links, nor especially, my OE
> files.
>
> Will the download of IE6,

Using file > import and export in IE will enable you to keep your favorites.
An application like this one:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/picooebackup.html

will enable you to backup your mail. However it's unlikely that any of those
will be lost during the upgrade process but it's always good to make a
backup.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 8:46:43 PM

NB: If you're trying to fix a hijackware problem, reinstalling IE won't
help. Hijackware infects Windows, not the browser.

No need to reinstall when you can overinstall: First, close *everything* via
CTRL+ALT+DEL except Windows Explorer (includes your AV program, Scheduled
Tasks, Screensaver, and going offline). Start>Run>IE6Setup.exe. Select
Minimal - Custom; Select all the parts you use, including OE (but none you
didn't originally download) and overinstall. Should take about 2 minutes.
Reboot the computer.

Now, with AV and all other running processes still closed, check in at
Windows Update for additional updates and patches you may need.

Reinstalling/Overinstalling IE6 SP1 should not affect the data but better to
backup Favorites and OE and not need it than the other way around.