Will IE6 Sp1 reinstall destroy my OE files?

I am going to reinstall my IE6, Sp1.

I read that it will install the latest versions of the browser and OE.

I don't want to loose anything, i.e., programs, and especially the
information in OE.

Is it safe to install IE6 and the new OE, when asked, or do I need to do
something to make sure my files and email stay intact?

If so, especially with OE, what do I need to do to make sure I keep all my
accounts/options/emails/newsgroups and so on?

Thanks,
Bob T
I don't want to loose my programs & links, nor especially, my OE files.

Will the download of IE6,
4 answers Last reply
More about will reinstall destroy files

    In news:7000D807-6219-47A6-9631-406CCEB79167@microsoft.com,
    sunslight <sunslight@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I am going to reinstall my IE6, Sp1.
    >
    > I read that it will install the latest versions of the browser and OE.
    >
    > I don't want to loose anything, i.e., programs, and especially the
    > information in OE.
    >
    > Is it safe to install IE6 and the new OE, when asked, or do I need to
    > do something to make sure my files and email stay intact?
    >
    > If so, especially with OE, what do I need to do to make sure I keep
    > all my accounts/options/emails/newsgroups and so on?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob T
    > I don't want to loose my programs & links, nor especially, my OE
    > files.
    >
    > Will the download of IE6,

    Using file > import and export in IE will enable you to keep your favorites.
    An application like this one:

    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/picooebackup.html

    will enable you to backup your mail. However it's unlikely that any of those
    will be lost during the upgrade process but it's always good to make a
    backup.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    NB: If you're trying to fix a hijackware problem, reinstalling IE won't
    help. Hijackware infects Windows, not the browser.

    No need to reinstall when you can overinstall: First, close *everything* via
    CTRL+ALT+DEL except Windows Explorer (includes your AV program, Scheduled
    Tasks, Screensaver, and going offline). Start>Run>IE6Setup.exe. Select
    Minimal - Custom; Select all the parts you use, including OE (but none you
    didn't originally download) and overinstall. Should take about 2 minutes.
    Reboot the computer.

    Now, with AV and all other running processes still closed, check in at
    Windows Update for additional updates and patches you may need.

    Reinstalling/Overinstalling IE6 SP1 should not affect the data but better to
    backup Favorites and OE and not need it than the other way around.