MS Viewer on Win 98

Isn't the default program to view photos supposed to be Microsoft Image
Viewer? If so, mine has disappered. Does anyone know where I could look for
this to reinstall?

Thank you
10 answers Last reply
More about viewer

    Did you ever have it? AFAIK, Image Viewer is new in Windows XP. In Windows
    98/98SE/ME (and, I think 2K) the default image viewer for JPEG and a few
    others is Internet Explorer. If you want to use a different one, you're
    talking about an app that must be added on. Many machines come pre-loaded
    with several other apps, typically including a handful of image viewers.
    Some are provided by Microsoft Plus! packages, Office and Works Suites,
    etc., and many more are from third parties, but I don't recall any named,
    precisely, "Microsoft Image Viewer".

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "Pearl King" <pearlaking@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Isn't the default program to view photos supposed to be Microsoft Image
    > Viewer? If so, mine has disappered. Does anyone know where I could look
    > for
    > this to reinstall?
    >
    > Thank you

    "Pearl King" <pearlaking@kc.rr.com> wrote in message

    > Isn't the default program to view photos supposed to be Microsoft Image
    > Viewer? If so, mine has disappered. Does anyone know where I could look
    for

    Try the utility free from www.irfanview.com
    which most MS NG mavens prefer.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    From: "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org>

    | Did you ever have it? AFAIK, Image Viewer is new in Windows XP. In Windows
    | 98/98SE/ME (and, I think 2K) the default image viewer for JPEG and a few
    | others is Internet Explorer. If you want to use a different one, you're
    | talking about an app that must be added on. Many machines come pre-loaded
    | with several other apps, typically including a handful of image viewers.
    | Some are provided by Microsoft Plus! packages, Office and Works Suites,
    | etc., and many more are from third parties, but I don't recall any named,
    | precisely, "Microsoft Image Viewer".
    |
    | --
    | Gary S. Terhune
    | MS-MVP Shell/User

    WinME does have a predecessor version of what WinXP has. One just has to "customize the
    folder" with the "image preview". Then you can; play a slideshow of graphic files in the
    folder, zoom in, zoom out, rotate and print a graphic or make its view full page. All
    within the Explorer Folder View. Win2K has a similar facility but can not do a slideshow of
    the graphic files within the folder.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Now that you mention it, I *do* remember that. Out of all my clients, I have
    exactly one ME machine in the mix, and she just handed that down to her
    husband and got a new XP machine, <s>.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > From: "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org>
    >
    > | Did you ever have it? AFAIK, Image Viewer is new in Windows XP. In
    > Windows
    > | 98/98SE/ME (and, I think 2K) the default image viewer for JPEG and a few
    > | others is Internet Explorer. If you want to use a different one, you're
    > | talking about an app that must be added on. Many machines come
    > pre-loaded
    > | with several other apps, typically including a handful of image viewers.
    > | Some are provided by Microsoft Plus! packages, Office and Works Suites,
    > | etc., and many more are from third parties, but I don't recall any
    > named,
    > | precisely, "Microsoft Image Viewer".
    > |
    > | --
    > | Gary S. Terhune
    > | MS-MVP Shell/User
    > |

    > WinME does have a predecessor version of what WinXP has. One just has to
    > "customize the
    > folder" with the "image preview". Then you can; play a slideshow of
    > graphic files in the
    > folder, zoom in, zoom out, rotate and print a graphic or make its view
    > full page. All
    > within the Explorer Folder View. Win2K has a similar facility but can not
    > do a slideshow of
    > the graphic files within the folder.
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    "Pearl King" <pearlaking@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Isn't the default program to view photos supposed to be Microsoft Image
    > Viewer? If so, mine has disappered. Does anyone know where I could look
    for
    > this to reinstall?
    >
    > Thank you

    Start > settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs

    Chose Windows Setup

    Image Viewer is installed via Accessories > Imaging

    No.

    Change your viewer to something like IrfanView - Freeware Graphic
    Viewer:
    http://www.irfanview.com/

    ....Alan
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 18:24:55 -0700, "Pearl King" <pearlaking@kc.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >Isn't the default program to view photos supposed to be Microsoft Image
    >Viewer? If so, mine has disappered. Does anyone know where I could look for
    >this to reinstall?
    >
    >Thank you

    Thanks to all of you. I have downloaded the irfanview and it is working
    fine.

    "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    > No.
    >
    > Change your viewer to something like IrfanView - Freeware Graphic
    > Viewer:
    > http://www.irfanview.com/
    >
    > ...Alan
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows - Internet Explorer
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >

    > On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 18:24:55 -0700, "Pearl King" <pearlaking@kc.rr.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Isn't the default program to view photos supposed to be Microsoft Image
    > >Viewer? If so, mine has disappered. Does anyone know where I could look
    for
    > >this to reinstall?
    > >
    > >Thank you

    Hello,

    "Pearl King" <pearlaking@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Isn't the default program to view photos supposed to be Microsoft Image
    > Viewer? If so, mine has disappered. Does anyone know where I could look
    > for
    > this to reinstall?

    IMHO this is good alternative::
    http://www.winplanet.com/file/11713.htm

    Cheers, Roman

    On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 00:03:44 -0700, "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com>
    wrote:

    >"Pearl King" <pearlaking@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> Isn't the default program to view photos supposed to be Microsoft Image
    >> Viewer? If so, mine has disappered. Does anyone know where I could look
    >for
    >> this to reinstall?
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >
    >Start > settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
    >
    >Chose Windows Setup
    >
    >Image Viewer is installed via Accessories > Imaging

    That is not Microsoft Image Viewer.
    On my Win98 SE, that will install Kodak Imaging.

    ....Alan
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    > On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 00:03:44 -0700, "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >"Pearl King" <pearlaking@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > >> Isn't the default program to view photos supposed to be Microsoft Image
    > >> Viewer? If so, mine has disappered. Does anyone know where I could
    look
    > >for
    > >> this to reinstall?
    > >>
    > >> Thank you
    > >
    > >Start > settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
    > >
    > >Chose Windows Setup
    > >
    > >Image Viewer is installed via Accessories > Imaging
    > >

    > That is not Microsoft Image Viewer.
    > On my Win98 SE, that will install Kodak Imaging.

    I didn't say that it was, or intend to suggest it.

    You will note that the OP wasn't sure what used to be installed.
    but as she uses 98, it couldn't have been Microsoft Image Viewer,
    so I discounted that part of her post in favor of pointing her
    to the default image viewer for 98, which is,
    as you stated, Kodak's product.

Default Microsoft Windows