Using compatible inks: does it damage the printer?

Can someone tell me if using compatible inks damages the printer in
anyway?

Thanks.

OM
8 answers Last reply
More about using compatible inks damage printer

    On 20-Feb-2005, "OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Can someone tell me if using compatible inks damages the printer in
    > anyway?

    If they are compatible, by definition of compatible, no. -BUT- some
    say they are compatible but aren't. Like they react adversly with
    the residue of the previous, are wrong pH or viscosity, wrong
    colour formulation for printer (produce colour casts). Try them,
    if your printer doesn't get blocked jets and the prints are
    indistinguishable from OEM cartridges, stick with the cheaper
    brand that works. Bear in mind that there are different types of
    ink, dye, pigment and so on.

    OM wrote:
    > Can someone tell me if using compatible inks damages the printer in
    > anyway?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > OM

    eternal question...answering to this would be like answering to a question
    "are we alone in the universe?"
    that's provided you use quality compatibles. Low quality ones can damage it.

    I used refill ink on my Canon i550 for a year and half, after that head
    died. Was it because of ink? Who knows, since reports are that head died to
    people who used only original Canon inks...so, cant' really tell...
    i guess time can tell best...

    Sleeperman:

    What printer and ink combination do you use and where do you buy your ink?

    On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:14:18 +0100, "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote:

    >eternal question...answering to this would be like answering to a question
    >"are we alone in the universe?"
    >that's provided you use quality compatibles. Low quality ones can damage it.
    >
    >I used refill ink on my Canon i550 for a year and half, after that head
    >died. Was it because of ink? Who knows, since reports are that head died to
    >people who used only original Canon inks...so, cant' really tell...
    >i guess time can tell best...

    A- How much would you have spent on original ink?
    B- How much did you spend on refilling the cartridges?
    A minus B = saving
    If A minus B is greater than the cost of replacing the printer, who cares about
    damaging the printer?

    On 20 Feb 2005 08:11:59 -0800, "OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Can someone tell me if using compatible inks damages the printer in
    >anyway?
    >
    >Thanks.

    Depends whether you want cheap inks or good quality inks.

    --

    Hecate - The Real One
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    In article <1108915919.816005.233770@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    om.newsgroup@gmail.com says...
    > Can someone tell me if using compatible inks damages the printer in
    > anyway?

    If the heads are part of the cartridge, like most HP's, very unlikely.
    The most likely damage would be from possible leaks. The cartridges are
    usually original carts that have been refilled, or ones you refill
    yourself.

    If the heads are built-in and not user replaceable, like Epson's, then
    I would be VERY careful.

    For printers with separate ink tanks/heads, but user replaceable
    heads, it's up to you. Gauge the cost of replacement heads if needed vs.
    the reduced ink cost.

    In general, print quality may be affected, especially for photo
    printing. For basic text or simple business graphics, better brands will
    work OK.

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

    If only it was that simple to answer.

    Firstly, it depends upon which printer, which brand and which
    technology, as some are more apt. to have problems than others.

    Then it depends upon which refill ink is attempted to be used, or which
    "compatible cartridge".

    The problem is there is no industry standard or is there any legislation
    to maintain a quality for inkjet inks or laser toners.

    In general, it is best to stick to companies other have used
    successfully for your brand of printer. Also, the ink company should
    provide some quality standard or warranty for both the ink and how it
    will work in your printer.

    Art

    OM wrote:

    > Can someone tell me if using compatible inks damages the printer in
    > anyway?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > OM

    Some of us would prefer not littering the planet with dead printers, if
    we can avoid it.

    Art

    pete wrote:

    > On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:14:18 +0100, "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote:
    >

    >>eternal question...answering to this would be like answering to a question
    >>"are we alone in the universe?"
    >>that's provided you use quality compatibles. Low quality ones can damage it.
    >>
    >>I used refill ink on my Canon i550 for a year and half, after that head
    >>died. Was it because of ink? Who knows, since reports are that head died to
    >>people who used only original Canon inks...so, cant' really tell...
    >>i guess time can tell best...
    >>

    > A- How much would you have spent on original ink?
    > B- How much did you spend on refilling the cartridges?
    > A minus B = saving
    > If A minus B is greater than the cost of replacing the printer, who cares about
    > damaging the printer?

Printers Compatibility Peripherals