Using compatible inks: does it damage the printer?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 20, 2005 11:11:59 AM

Can someone tell me if using compatible inks damages the printer in
anyway?

Thanks.

OM
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 7:24:10 PM

On 20-Feb-2005, "OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can someone tell me if using compatible inks damages the printer in
> anyway?

If they are compatible, by definition of compatible, no. -BUT- some
say they are compatible but aren't. Like they react adversly with
the residue of the previous, are wrong pH or viscosity, wrong
colour formulation for printer (produce colour casts). Try them,
if your printer doesn't get blocked jets and the prints are
indistinguishable from OEM cartridges, stick with the cheaper
brand that works. Bear in mind that there are different types of
ink, dye, pigment and so on.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 11:14:18 PM

OM wrote:
> Can someone tell me if using compatible inks damages the printer in
> anyway?
>
> Thanks.
>

> OM

eternal question...answering to this would be like answering to a question
"are we alone in the universe?"
that's provided you use quality compatibles. Low quality ones can damage it.

I used refill ink on my Canon i550 for a year and half, after that head
died. Was it because of ink? Who knows, since reports are that head died to
people who used only original Canon inks...so, cant' really tell...
i guess time can tell best...
February 20, 2005 11:14:19 PM

Sleeperman:

What printer and ink combination do you use and where do you buy your ink?

SleeperMan wrote:

>OM wrote:
>

>>Can someone tell me if using compatible inks damages the printer in
>>anyway?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>

>>OM
>>

>eternal question...answering to this would be like answering to a question
>"are we alone in the universe?"
>that's provided you use quality compatibles. Low quality ones can damage it.
>
>I used refill ink on my Canon i550 for a year and half, after that head
>died. Was it because of ink? Who knows, since reports are that head died to
>people who used only original Canon inks...so, cant' really tell...
>i guess time can tell best...

February 21, 2005 1:37:46 AM

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:14:18 +0100, "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote:

>eternal question...answering to this would be like answering to a question
>"are we alone in the universe?"
>that's provided you use quality compatibles. Low quality ones can damage it.
>
>I used refill ink on my Canon i550 for a year and half, after that head
>died. Was it because of ink? Who knows, since reports are that head died to
>people who used only original Canon inks...so, cant' really tell...
>i guess time can tell best...

A- How much would you have spent on original ink?
B- How much did you spend on refilling the cartridges?
A minus B = saving
If A minus B is greater than the cost of replacing the printer, who cares about
damaging the printer?
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 4:30:04 AM

On 20 Feb 2005 08:11:59 -0800, "OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote:

>Can someone tell me if using compatible inks damages the printer in
>anyway?
>
>Thanks.

Depends whether you want cheap inks or good quality inks.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

In article <1108915919.816005.233770@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
om.newsgroup@gmail.com says...
> Can someone tell me if using compatible inks damages the printer in
> anyway?

If the heads are part of the cartridge, like most HP's, very unlikely.
The most likely damage would be from possible leaks. The cartridges are
usually original carts that have been refilled, or ones you refill
yourself.

If the heads are built-in and not user replaceable, like Epson's, then
I would be VERY careful.

For printers with separate ink tanks/heads, but user replaceable
heads, it's up to you. Gauge the cost of replacement heads if needed vs.
the reduced ink cost.

In general, print quality may be affected, especially for photo
printing. For basic text or simple business graphics, better brands will
work OK.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 5:51:15 PM

If only it was that simple to answer.

Firstly, it depends upon which printer, which brand and which
technology, as some are more apt. to have problems than others.

Then it depends upon which refill ink is attempted to be used, or which
"compatible cartridge".

The problem is there is no industry standard or is there any legislation
to maintain a quality for inkjet inks or laser toners.

In general, it is best to stick to companies other have used
successfully for your brand of printer. Also, the ink company should
provide some quality standard or warranty for both the ink and how it
will work in your printer.

Art

OM wrote:

> Can someone tell me if using compatible inks damages the printer in
> anyway?
>
> Thanks.
>

> OM

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 6:02:24 PM

Some of us would prefer not littering the planet with dead printers, if
we can avoid it.

Art

!