Re-cycling Scan Disk

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Trying to run defrag or scan disk. Scan disk says program is runnig in
background and recycles after 10 attemps. I paused or disabled norton
antivirus/go-back/task scheduler. I did not have this trouble before I
changed Hard Drive from 10 GB`S to 80 GB`S. Is there a way to find out what
program is runnig in background. Every so often I can Defrag or Scan Disk OK.
THX PS. I`m not on the Internet while I`m doing this.
--
BOB

Mike

Splendid

BOB wrote:
> Trying to run defrag or scan disk. Scan disk says program is runnig in
> background and recycles after 10 attemps. I paused or disabled norton
> antivirus/go-back/task scheduler. I did not have this trouble before I
> changed Hard Drive from 10 GB`S to 80 GB`S. Is there a way to find out what
> program is runnig in background. Every so often I can Defrag or Scan Disk OK.
> THX PS. I`m not on the Internet while I`m doing this.

Any program that writes the disk can do this.
In my case, it's spybot search and destroy.
mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

From: "BOB" <BOB@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Trying to run defrag or scan disk. Scan disk says program is runnig in
| background and recycles after 10 attemps. I paused or disabled norton
| antivirus/go-back/task scheduler. I did not have this trouble before I
| changed Hard Drive from 10 GB`S to 80 GB`S. Is there a way to find out what
| program is runnig in background. Every so often I can Defrag or Scan Disk OK.
| THX PS. I`m not on the Internet while I`m doing this.
| --
| BOB

Do the routines in Safe Mode.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

See my article, "Clean Boot -- What it is and why you need it"

Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"BOB" <BOB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Trying to run defrag or scan disk. Scan disk says program is runnig in
> background and recycles after 10 attemps. I paused or disabled norton
> antivirus/go-back/task scheduler. I did not have this trouble before I
> changed Hard Drive from 10 GB`S to 80 GB`S. Is there a way to find out
> what
> program is runnig in background. Every so often I can Defrag or Scan Disk
> OK.
> THX PS. I`m not on the Internet while I`m doing this.
> --
> BOB

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q287914
Articles about Scandisk
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286263
Articles about Defrag

I must warn that Scandisk may not do a great job when there is a
great one to do...
http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/scandisk.htm
Therefore, perhaps UNcheck "Automatically fix errors" on it's front
screen. It will then ask whether you want each error fixed. If it sounds
truly horrible, say "No!", and post the log. The log will be
"C:\Scandisk.log". Do not let it constantly restart, either. (When
running Scandisk in DOS, there won't be such a box to uncheck. You must
"Scandisk /Checkonly", instead. It will write to the same .log. The
Auto-Scandisk that runs from DOS after a crash must be set to "Prompt"
the bad ones in C:\Windows\Command\Scandisk.ini.) REALLY, in light of
all THAT, the BEST thing to do is to have a full system backup to run
to! Would you like my list of backup apps?

1. Turn off screen saver (R-Clk Desktop, Properties, Screen Saver--
None)
2. Turn off power management (Control Panel, Power Management-- Always
On,Never,Never,Never)
3. Disable any permanent internet cable connection, perhaps.
4. Suspend Task Scheduler
5. Turn off interfering programs. Use "StartupCop" or "EndItAll2" from
PCMag (below). Or "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab". Note what is
unchecked. Then, go to the General tab & disable the entire Startup
Group, by clicking "Selective.." & unchecking "Load Startup...". Reboot.
Don't forget to re-enable before the next boot.
6. Use "HDValet" from PCMag, or
(a) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete
all offline content, OK, OK"
(b) "START, Run, %TEMP%", & delete all files that will let you. This
will likely be "C:\Windows\Temp". This is best done after a fresh boot,
unless you have not seen the message "Reboot to complete this install".
7. Run Scandisk (Thorough, usually w/o write testing. Check all three
items under "Scandisk, Advanced button, 'Check files for' box". If you
want to be informed as it does a fix, UNcheck "Automatically fix errors"
on the front screen, or look inside "C:\Scandisk.log" afterwards.)
8. "START, Run, Defrag /p /details". Apparently, "/p" Defrags the
unmovables.

The purpose of steps 1-5 is only to prevent constant restarts of
Scandisk & Defrag, if you get them; but DEFINITELY turn off the Virus
Scanner. Scandisk should be done perhaps once a month, and certainly
after every serious crash. Do a Defrag after a sluggish boot or when
this says so:
http://www.pcmag.com/ 's CrackUp, by Gregory A. Wolking & Bob Flanders.
Also, take DiskAction, to determine what is constantly writing to the
HDD, which causes the restarts. Take BHOCop & StartupCop too.

"DiskAction" reports the last 12 processes that access any partition. It
discovered the Microsoft Windows Critical Update Notification tool was
accessing my HDD every five minutes. It can be uninstalled in "Control
Panel, Add/Remove Programs". Then, occasionally, "START, Windows Update"
on your own.

"BHOCop" found a Browser Helper Object called Wavehelper Class, created
by "Wavetop", that was building a monstrosity of an error log called
"Logit.txt" in here. "START, Find, F/F, Logit.txt"-- see one?

Now, my hard drive is quieter than my mouse. (Of course, I now also have
384 MB RAM, up from an initial 64, eliminating Swap File activity.)

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"BOB" <BOB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Trying to run defrag or scan disk. Scan disk says program is runnig in
| background and recycles after 10 attemps. I paused or disabled norton
| antivirus/go-back/task scheduler. I did not have this trouble before I
| changed Hard Drive from 10 GB`S to 80 GB`S. Is there a way to find out
what
| program is runnig in background. Every so often I can Defrag or Scan
Disk OK.
| THX PS. I`m not on the Internet while I`m doing this.
| --
| BOB

Dak

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2003

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:25:04 -0700, BOB <BOB@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Trying to run defrag or scan disk. Scan disk says program is runnig in
>background and recycles after 10 attemps. I paused or disabled norton
>antivirus/go-back/task scheduler. I did not have this trouble before I
>changed Hard Drive from 10 GB`S to 80 GB`S. Is there a way to find out what
>program is runnig in background. Every so often I can Defrag or Scan Disk OK.
>THX PS. I`m not on the Internet while I`m doing this.

Bob, the way I run ScanDisk and Defrag without problems AND without
having to drop to SAFE mode, is to reboot, then disable/quit/exit
everything showing in the SYSTRAY (by the clock), and then use
CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up the tasks still running and stop everything
still listed EXCEPT "Explorer" and "Systray."
Then I run Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe), ScanDisk, and finally Defrag.
When all is finished I reboot again.

--
dak
My SpywareBlaster Custom Blocking List:

"dak" <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message news:60e7i11g42h70vj3a5720q531u1i5rdnfk@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:25:04 -0700, BOB <BOB@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Trying to run defrag or scan disk. Scan disk says program is runnig in
>>background and recycles after 10 attemps. I paused or disabled norton
>>antivirus/go-back/task scheduler. I did not have this trouble before I
>>changed Hard Drive from 10 GB`S to 80 GB`S. Is there a way to find out what
>>program is runnig in background. Every so often I can Defrag or Scan Disk OK.
>>THX PS. I`m not on the Internet while I`m doing this.
>
> Bob, the way I run ScanDisk and Defrag without problems AND without
> having to drop to SAFE mode, is to reboot, then disable/quit/exit
> everything showing in the SYSTRAY (by the clock), and then use
> CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up the tasks still running and stop everything
> still listed EXCEPT "Explorer" and "Systray."
> Then I run Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe), ScanDisk, and finally Defrag.
> When all is finished I reboot again.

Try ScanDefrag.. It's a front end shell that will basically do all that
for you. In addition it will remember your settings, and keep a running log
of events.

http://home.earthlink.net/~bblanton2/scandefrag/main.htm

Dak

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2003

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 10:05:32 -0400, "Bill Blanton"
<bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote:

>Try ScanDefrag.. It's a front end shell that will basically do all that
>for you. In addition it will remember your settings, and keep a running log
>of events.

Thanks, I appreciate you mentioning it, but I have already tried it
and don't like it. Perhaps it will work for someone else reading your
post that wasn't aware of it.

--
dak
My SpywareBlaster Custom Blocking List:
<http://customblockinglist.cjb.net/>

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thank everyone for the responses, I believe I learned a lot from all of them.
What I did was to uncheck all the boxs in Start up Tab[System Configuration]
except for my mouse.
Had no trouble running Scandisk/Defrag.
--
BOB

"BOB" wrote:

> Trying to run defrag or scan disk. Scan disk says program is runnig in
> background and recycles after 10 attemps. I paused or disabled norton
> antivirus/go-back/task scheduler. I did not have this trouble before I
> changed Hard Drive from 10 GB`S to 80 GB`S. Is there a way to find out what
> program is runnig in background. Every so often I can Defrag or Scan Disk OK.
> THX PS. I`m not on the Internet while I`m doing this.
> --
> BOB

You are welcome.

--
| Thank everyone for the responses, I believe I learned a lot from all
of them.
| What I did was to uncheck all the boxs in Start up Tab[System
Configuration]
| except for my mouse.
| Had no trouble running Scandisk/Defrag.
| --
| BOB
|

| "BOB" wrote:
|
| > Trying to run defrag or scan disk. Scan disk says program is runnig
in
| > background and recycles after 10 attemps. I paused or disabled
norton
| > antivirus/go-back/task scheduler. I did not have this trouble before
| > changed Hard Drive from 10 GB`S to 80 GB`S. Is there a way to find
out what
| > program is runnig in background. Every so often I can Defrag or Scan
Disk OK.
| > THX PS. I`m not on the Internet while I`m doing this.
| > --
| > BOB

TRENDING THREADS