Re-cycling Scan Disk

Trying to run defrag or scan disk. Scan disk says program is runnig in
background and recycles after 10 attemps. I paused or disabled norton
antivirus/go-back/task scheduler. I did not have this trouble before I
changed Hard Drive from 10 GB`S to 80 GB`S. Is there a way to find out what
program is runnig in background. Every so often I can Defrag or Scan Disk OK.
THX PS. I`m not on the Internet while I`m doing this.
--
BOB
9 answers Last reply

    BOB wrote:
    > Trying to run defrag or scan disk. Scan disk says program is runnig in
    > background and recycles after 10 attemps. I paused or disabled norton
    > antivirus/go-back/task scheduler. I did not have this trouble before I
    > changed Hard Drive from 10 GB`S to 80 GB`S. Is there a way to find out what
    > program is runnig in background. Every so often I can Defrag or Scan Disk OK.
    > THX PS. I`m not on the Internet while I`m doing this.

    Any program that writes the disk can do this.
    In my case, it's spybot search and destroy.
    mike

    ..
    Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
    MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

    From: "BOB" <BOB@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | Trying to run defrag or scan disk. Scan disk says program is runnig in
    | background and recycles after 10 attemps. I paused or disabled norton
    | antivirus/go-back/task scheduler. I did not have this trouble before I
    | changed Hard Drive from 10 GB`S to 80 GB`S. Is there a way to find out what
    | program is runnig in background. Every so often I can Defrag or Scan Disk OK.
    | THX PS. I`m not on the Internet while I`m doing this.
    | --
    | BOB

    Do the routines in Safe Mode.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    See my article, "Clean Boot -- What it is and why you need it"

    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "BOB" <BOB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Trying to run defrag or scan disk. Scan disk says program is runnig in
    > background and recycles after 10 attemps. I paused or disabled norton
    > antivirus/go-back/task scheduler. I did not have this trouble before I
    > changed Hard Drive from 10 GB`S to 80 GB`S. Is there a way to find out
    > what
    > program is runnig in background. Every so often I can Defrag or Scan Disk
    > OK.
    > THX PS. I`m not on the Internet while I`m doing this.
    > --
    > BOB

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q287914
    Articles about Scandisk
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286263
    Articles about Defrag

    I must warn that Scandisk may not do a great job when there is a
    great one to do...
    http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/scandisk.htm
    Therefore, perhaps UNcheck "Automatically fix errors" on it's front
    screen. It will then ask whether you want each error fixed. If it sounds
    truly horrible, say "No!", and post the log. The log will be
    "C:\Scandisk.log". Do not let it constantly restart, either. (When
    running Scandisk in DOS, there won't be such a box to uncheck. You must
    "Scandisk /Checkonly", instead. It will write to the same .log. The
    Auto-Scandisk that runs from DOS after a crash must be set to "Prompt"
    the bad ones in C:\Windows\Command\Scandisk.ini.) REALLY, in light of
    all THAT, the BEST thing to do is to have a full system backup to run
    to! Would you like my list of backup apps?

    1. Turn off screen saver (R-Clk Desktop, Properties, Screen Saver--
    None)
    2. Turn off power management (Control Panel, Power Management-- Always
    On,Never,Never,Never)
    3. Disable any permanent internet cable connection, perhaps.
    4. Suspend Task Scheduler
    5. Turn off interfering programs. Use "StartupCop" or "EndItAll2" from
    PCMag (below). Or "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab". Note what is
    unchecked. Then, go to the General tab & disable the entire Startup
    Group, by clicking "Selective.." & unchecking "Load Startup...". Reboot.
    Don't forget to re-enable before the next boot.
    6. Use "HDValet" from PCMag, or
    (a) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete
    all offline content, OK, OK"
    (b) "START, Run, %TEMP%", & delete all files that will let you. This
    will likely be "C:\Windows\Temp". This is best done after a fresh boot,
    unless you have not seen the message "Reboot to complete this install".
    7. Run Scandisk (Thorough, usually w/o write testing. Check all three
    items under "Scandisk, Advanced button, 'Check files for' box". If you
    want to be informed as it does a fix, UNcheck "Automatically fix errors"
    on the front screen, or look inside "C:\Scandisk.log" afterwards.)
    8. "START, Run, Defrag /p /details". Apparently, "/p" Defrags the
    unmovables.

    The purpose of steps 1-5 is only to prevent constant restarts of
    Scandisk & Defrag, if you get them; but DEFINITELY turn off the Virus
    Scanner. Scandisk should be done perhaps once a month, and certainly
    after every serious crash. Do a Defrag after a sluggish boot or when
    this says so:
    http://www.pcmag.com/ 's CrackUp, by Gregory A. Wolking & Bob Flanders.
    Also, take DiskAction, to determine what is constantly writing to the
    HDD, which causes the restarts. Take BHOCop & StartupCop too.

    "DiskAction" reports the last 12 processes that access any partition. It
    discovered the Microsoft Windows Critical Update Notification tool was
    accessing my HDD every five minutes. It can be uninstalled in "Control
    Panel, Add/Remove Programs". Then, occasionally, "START, Windows Update"
    on your own.

    "BHOCop" found a Browser Helper Object called Wavehelper Class, created
    by "Wavetop", that was building a monstrosity of an error log called
    "Logit.txt" in here. "START, Find, F/F, Logit.txt"-- see one?

    Now, my hard drive is quieter than my mouse. (Of course, I now also have
    384 MB RAM, up from an initial 64, eliminating Swap File activity.)

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,

    On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:25:04 -0700, BOB <BOB@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    >Trying to run defrag or scan disk. Scan disk says program is runnig in
    >background and recycles after 10 attemps. I paused or disabled norton
    >antivirus/go-back/task scheduler. I did not have this trouble before I
    >changed Hard Drive from 10 GB`S to 80 GB`S. Is there a way to find out what
    >program is runnig in background. Every so often I can Defrag or Scan Disk OK.
    >THX PS. I`m not on the Internet while I`m doing this.

    Bob, the way I run ScanDisk and Defrag without problems AND without
    having to drop to SAFE mode, is to reboot, then disable/quit/exit
    everything showing in the SYSTRAY (by the clock), and then use
    CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up the tasks still running and stop everything
    still listed EXCEPT "Explorer" and "Systray."
    Then I run Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe), ScanDisk, and finally Defrag.
    When all is finished I reboot again.

    --
    dak
    My SpywareBlaster Custom Blocking List:

    "dak" <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message news:60e7i11g42h70vj3a5720q531u1i5rdnfk@4ax.com...
    > On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:25:04 -0700, BOB <BOB@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Trying to run defrag or scan disk. Scan disk says program is runnig in
    >>background and recycles after 10 attemps. I paused or disabled norton
    >>antivirus/go-back/task scheduler. I did not have this trouble before I
    >>changed Hard Drive from 10 GB`S to 80 GB`S. Is there a way to find out what
    >>program is runnig in background. Every so often I can Defrag or Scan Disk OK.
    >>THX PS. I`m not on the Internet while I`m doing this.
    >
    > Bob, the way I run ScanDisk and Defrag without problems AND without
    > having to drop to SAFE mode, is to reboot, then disable/quit/exit
    > everything showing in the SYSTRAY (by the clock), and then use
    > CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up the tasks still running and stop everything
    > still listed EXCEPT "Explorer" and "Systray."
    > Then I run Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe), ScanDisk, and finally Defrag.
    > When all is finished I reboot again.

    Try ScanDefrag.. It's a front end shell that will basically do all that
    for you. In addition it will remember your settings, and keep a running log
    of events.

    http://home.earthlink.net/~bblanton2/scandefrag/main.htm

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 10:05:32 -0400, "Bill Blanton"
    <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote:

    >Try ScanDefrag.. It's a front end shell that will basically do all that
    >for you. In addition it will remember your settings, and keep a running log
    >of events.

    Thanks, I appreciate you mentioning it, but I have already tried it
    and don't like it. Perhaps it will work for someone else reading your
    post that wasn't aware of it.

    --
    dak
    My SpywareBlaster Custom Blocking List:
    <http://customblockinglist.cjb.net/>

    Thank everyone for the responses, I believe I learned a lot from all of them.
    What I did was to uncheck all the boxs in Start up Tab[System Configuration]
    except for my mouse.
    Had no trouble running Scandisk/Defrag.
    --
    BOB

    "BOB" wrote:

    > Trying to run defrag or scan disk. Scan disk says program is runnig in
    > background and recycles after 10 attemps. I paused or disabled norton
    > antivirus/go-back/task scheduler. I did not have this trouble before I
    > changed Hard Drive from 10 GB`S to 80 GB`S. Is there a way to find out what
    > program is runnig in background. Every so often I can Defrag or Scan Disk OK.
    > THX PS. I`m not on the Internet while I`m doing this.
    > --
    > BOB

    You are welcome.

    --
    | Thank everyone for the responses, I believe I learned a lot from all
    of them.
    | What I did was to uncheck all the boxs in Start up Tab[System
    Configuration]
    | except for my mouse.
    | Had no trouble running Scandisk/Defrag.
    | --
    | BOB
    |

    | "BOB" wrote:
    |
    | > Trying to run defrag or scan disk. Scan disk says program is runnig
    in
    | > background and recycles after 10 attemps. I paused or disabled
    norton
    | > antivirus/go-back/task scheduler. I did not have this trouble before
    | > changed Hard Drive from 10 GB`S to 80 GB`S. Is there a way to find
    out what
    | > program is runnig in background. Every so often I can Defrag or Scan
    Disk OK.
    | > THX PS. I`m not on the Internet while I`m doing this.
    | > --
    | > BOB

Defragment Microsoft Windows