Missing hardWare manufacturers list

Jones

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

'm been working on my friend's computer this week to install an old scanner
without installating the scanner software. She has a program that their
support site says this program IS incompatible with the PrecisionScan
software and the fix was to install just the twain driver. I tried this but
the problem is, when you go to "add hardware" under scanner to select the
manufacturer, the choice of manufacturer is not listed. There is not one
manufacturer name listed but Kodak. I reinstalled Windows and hoped that
would fix the problem but it didn't. Is there a way to do it manually without
having to format and start over? For example, is there a file I can download,
or a registry entry I can add? What controls the manufacturers list? Is it a
registry entry, a file, or what and how can I repair it without having to
format and start from scratch? Thanks!

Please provide the name/author of the program and the manufacturer/make/model
of the scanner.

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Jones" <Jones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 'm been working on my friend's computer this week to install an old scanner
> without installating the scanner software. She has a program that their
> support site says this program IS incompatible with the PrecisionScan
> software and the fix was to install just the twain driver. I tried this but
> the problem is, when you go to "add hardware" under scanner to select the
> manufacturer, the choice of manufacturer is not listed. There is not one
> manufacturer name listed but Kodak. I reinstalled Windows and hoped that
> would fix the problem but it didn't. Is there a way to do it manually without
> having to format and start over? For example, is there a file I can download,
> or a registry entry I can add? What controls the manufacturers list? Is it a
> registry entry, a file, or what and how can I repair it without having to
> format and start from scratch? Thanks!

TWAIN,
Task without an interesting name
Task without an important name

runs on a twain twack

nuff bad jokes

the Particular Twain driver for the scanner may be required, a hardware
installer on the scanner's CD without installing the scan software.
IIRC twain is not a driver as much as a standard for communication between a
hardware driver and the software
Run the CD, X out of any autorun program, and browse the cd for the hardware
installler
or Run the CD, and find manual install options to only install the twain
driver

The list in windows will alter once the new twain driver is installed

/=/
__/=/
/ ::/|
_/::/ /
/_~/||/
[__]/|'
/ ///
|(o)|/
y//
/=/
/=/ supposed to be a "twain"

--

Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

_
"Jones" <Jones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 'm been working on my friend's computer this week to install an old
scanner
> without installating the scanner software. She has a program that their
> support site says this program IS incompatible with the PrecisionScan
> software and the fix was to install just the twain driver. I tried this
but
> the problem is, when you go to "add hardware" under scanner to select the
> manufacturer, the choice of manufacturer is not listed. There is not one
> manufacturer name listed but Kodak. I reinstalled Windows and hoped that
> would fix the problem but it didn't. Is there a way to do it manually
without
> having to format and start over? For example, is there a file I can
download,
> or a registry entry I can add? What controls the manufacturers list? Is it
> registry entry, a file, or what and how can I repair it without having to
> format and start from scratch? Thanks!

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 15:38:21 -0700, "Jones"
<Jones@discussions.microsoft.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>'m been working on my friend's computer this week to install an old scanner
>without installating the scanner software. She has a program that their
>support site says this program IS incompatible with the PrecisionScan
>software and the fix was to install just the twain driver. I tried this but
>the problem is, when you go to "add hardware" under scanner to select the
>manufacturer, the choice of manufacturer is not listed.

Can you remove PrecisionScan via Add/Remove Programs?

-- Franc Zabkar

The only entries you will find in the default Add/Remove hardware list are
the devices that Windows setup already knows about.

The procedure to install the TWAIN driver only depends on the brand of
scanner and how they have set up their installation software. Start the
installation procedure and see if there is a process to install drivers only
(without the other software). If not then the only option is to install the
lot and hope that there's an uninstall for the extra software you don't
want. Or you might be able to work through the installation CD and see what
INF files are used by the installation process and find one for drivers
only. You can then use the 'have disk' option of add new hardware and point
it to the appropriate INF file. But there's no rule that says a
manufacturer has to use Windows installation procedures, and if this machine
is set up to install everything using its own procedures then there's not
much you can do.

Some manufacturers have done a deal with the software suppliers that forces
the user to install the software they don't want. It can be very hard to get
rid of.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Jones" <Jones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 'm been working on my friend's computer this week to install an old
> scanner
> without installating the scanner software. She has a program that their
> support site says this program IS incompatible with the PrecisionScan
> software and the fix was to install just the twain driver. I tried this
> but
> the problem is, when you go to "add hardware" under scanner to select the
> manufacturer, the choice of manufacturer is not listed. There is not one
> manufacturer name listed but Kodak. I reinstalled Windows and hoped that
> would fix the problem but it didn't. Is there a way to do it manually
> without
> having to format and start over? For example, is there a file I can
> download,
> or a registry entry I can add? What controls the manufacturers list? Is it
> registry entry, a file, or what and how can I repair it without having to
> format and start from scratch? Thanks!

Jones

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

The name of the program she is trying to use is: Musitek SmartScore Piano
Edition 3.4 and the scanner make and model is HP PrecisionScan Scanet 3200C.

"Brian A." wrote:

> Please provide the name/author of the program and the manufacturer/make/model
> of the scanner.
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>
> Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Jones" <Jones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > 'm been working on my friend's computer this week to install an old scanner
> > without installating the scanner software. She has a program that their
> > support site says this program IS incompatible with the PrecisionScan
> > software and the fix was to install just the twain driver. I tried this but
> > the problem is, when you go to "add hardware" under scanner to select the
> > manufacturer, the choice of manufacturer is not listed. There is not one
> > manufacturer name listed but Kodak. I reinstalled Windows and hoped that
> > would fix the problem but it didn't. Is there a way to do it manually without
> > having to format and start over? For example, is there a file I can download,
> > or a registry entry I can add? What controls the manufacturers list? Is it a
> > registry entry, a file, or what and how can I repair it without having to
> > format and start from scratch? Thanks!

Jones

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

Each time I've tried removing PrecisionScan thru the Add/Remove feature, it
removes the PrecisionScan software AND the scanner. She is back to NO scanner
when this is done.

"Franc Zabkar" wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 15:38:21 -0700, "Jones"
> <Jones@discussions.microsoft.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:
>
> >'m been working on my friend's computer this week to install an old scanner
> >without installating the scanner software. She has a program that their
> >support site says this program IS incompatible with the PrecisionScan
> >software and the fix was to install just the twain driver. I tried this but
> >the problem is, when you go to "add hardware" under scanner to select the
> >manufacturer, the choice of manufacturer is not listed.
>
> Can you remove PrecisionScan via Add/Remove Programs?
>
> -- Franc Zabkar
>
> Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.

If you haven't already done so, go to here and D/L the current drivers/software
installation files. http://tinyurl.com/7dzww It's an EXE named sj648.exe. Run
that to extract to C:\sj648, then Cancel the installation. The extracted files
will remain.

Go to Add New Hardware and start the process. I forget the exact sequence in
Win98, but at every appropriate moment you want to choose "Manual" and/or "Have
disk..." and when prompted for drivers location, navigate to C:\sj648\drivers\

I *think* that will work.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Jones" <Jones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 'm been working on my friend's computer this week to install an old scanner
> without installating the scanner software. She has a program that their
> support site says this program IS incompatible with the PrecisionScan
> software and the fix was to install just the twain driver. I tried this but
> the problem is, when you go to "add hardware" under scanner to select the
> manufacturer, the choice of manufacturer is not listed. There is not one
> manufacturer name listed but Kodak. I reinstalled Windows and hoped that
> would fix the problem but it didn't. Is there a way to do it manually without
> having to format and start over? For example, is there a file I can download,
> or a registry entry I can add? What controls the manufacturers list? Is it a
> registry entry, a file, or what and how can I repair it without having to
> format and start from scratch? Thanks!

I see Gary already supplied a link for the newest drivers.

After checking both sites I see nowhere the mention that the HP PS SJ 3200 is
not compatible. The only mention I see is scanners that do not have TWAIN or
WIA. I see mention of WIA for ME/2000/XP but not for 98. Perhaps Gary or
another can comment on if WIA is even used in 98 which may be the main issue.
There are mentions of workarounds for some issues with scanners.

http://www.musitek.com/ScannerComp.html

What Windows Scanners Should I Avoid?
"All-In-One" scanners e.g. Hewlett-Packard's PSC 1210, Officejet D135, K60 or HP
950.
HP and Visioneer scanners without WIA drivers
Older scanners that are not fully TWAIN-compliant
Workaround: Scan in GRAY using your scanner's software
Recommended Scanners (Win XP / ME / NT)
Newer Epson and Canon USB scanners.
Newer Hewlett-Packard and Canon USB scanners with WIA drivers.
Newer Microtek USB scanners with TWAIN.

--

> The name of the program she is trying to use is: Musitek SmartScore Piano
> Edition 3.4 and the scanner make and model is HP PrecisionScan Scanet 3200C.
>
> "Brian A." wrote:
>
>> Please provide the name/author of the program and the
>> manufacturer/make/model
>> of the scanner.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>>
>> Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>>

>> "Jones" <Jones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > 'm been working on my friend's computer this week to install an old scanner
>> > without installating the scanner software. She has a program that their
>> > support site says this program IS incompatible with the PrecisionScan
>> > software and the fix was to install just the twain driver. I tried this but
>> > the problem is, when you go to "add hardware" under scanner to select the
>> > manufacturer, the choice of manufacturer is not listed. There is not one
>> > manufacturer name listed but Kodak. I reinstalled Windows and hoped that
>> > would fix the problem but it didn't. Is there a way to do it manually
>> > without
>> > having to format and start over? For example, is there a file I can
>> > download,
>> > or a registry entry I can add? What controls the manufacturers list? Is it
>> > registry entry, a file, or what and how can I repair it without having to
>> > format and start from scratch? Thanks!

Jones

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

Brian, it is the PrecisionScan software that is incompatible with this
program not the scanner. That's why I'm trying to install the scanner only. I
read the following article:
http://www.musitek.com/faqs.html#Scanning%20Issues and it states:
" Click on a TWAIN driver to select it (for HP, select “WIA-Hewlett-Packard
Scanjet xxx” Do NOT select “PrecisionScan”). If a TWAIN driver is not
visible, reinstall your scanners software making sure you install TWAIN. This
is sometimes an option found under “Custom Installation”. Contact your
scanner manufacturer for more details on how to install TWAIN onto your
machine."
And the option to install TWAIN only isn't there with this software. If
PrecisionScan isn't incompatible, then why are they saying the above?I know
her scanner will work with this program because when I installed it the first
time, it worked with their interface but now it won't. Plus, I have scanned
music with my scanner and have taken those files over there and they work
great! If I use her scanner, and we try to transpose, it puts top part of it
in for example: 5 flats and
bottom part in maybe 7 sharps where it should be the same top and bottom and
then click on play and you never heard such a mess. But, with my files that I
scanned with my scanner, it works correctly. Have any more ideas? Thanks for
your time.
"Brian A." wrote:

> I see Gary already supplied a link for the newest drivers.
>
> After checking both sites I see nowhere the mention that the HP PS SJ 3200 is
> not compatible. The only mention I see is scanners that do not have TWAIN or
> WIA. I see mention of WIA for ME/2000/XP but not for 98. Perhaps Gary or
> another can comment on if WIA is even used in 98 which may be the main issue.
> There are mentions of workarounds for some issues with scanners.
>
> http://www.musitek.com/ScannerComp.html
>
> What Windows Scanners Should I Avoid?
> "All-In-One" scanners e.g. Hewlett-Packard's PSC 1210, Officejet D135, K60 or HP
> 950.
> HP and Visioneer scanners without WIA drivers
> Older scanners that are not fully TWAIN-compliant
> Workaround: Scan in GRAY using your scanner's software
> Recommended Scanners (Win XP / ME / NT)
> Newer Epson and Canon USB scanners.
> Newer Hewlett-Packard and Canon USB scanners with WIA drivers.
> Newer Microtek USB scanners with TWAIN.
>

> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>
> Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Jones" <Jones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The name of the program she is trying to use is: Musitek SmartScore Piano
> > Edition 3.4 and the scanner make and model is HP PrecisionScan Scanet 3200C.
> >
> > "Brian A." wrote:
> >
> >> Please provide the name/author of the program and the
> >> manufacturer/make/model
> >> of the scanner.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> >> Conflicts start where information lacks.
> >> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
> >>
> >> Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> >>

> >> "Jones" <Jones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

From my research on both the Musitek/HPPS, the scanners software must be
installed. I see no way to custom install TWAIN only, during the PS software
installation.

Have you tried installing the latest drivers/software for PS?

If so and still no joy, see if any of these suggested workarounds help if you
haven't tried already:

3.2.4 Choosing an alternative scanning interface

If your scanner does not respond to the Scan command in the Smart-Score
interface or your scanned image is unacceptable (partially scanned, grey, color,
etc.)...
a. Check that your scanner is on and that the proper driver is installed (File >
Scan Music > Select Scanner). If a compatible driver is not present, you will
have to reinstall your scanner’s software either from the original CD or by
downloading the most recent scanner driver from your scanner manufacturer’s web
site. If the above is true and pushing the Scan button in the Navigator still
causes problems, your TWAIN driver is probably incompatible with SmartScore’s
own scanning interface.

b. Switch to the scanning software that was installed with your scanner. To do
this, go to File > Scan Music > Choose Interface > Your Scanner’s. When you push
the Scan button, you will then be handed off to your scanner’s interface.

If you are using your scanner’s interface, follow the following guides:
Place music in the scanner as squarely as possible.
Scan in Black & White (Line Art, 1 bit or OCR). Do not scan in color or in
greyscale. “Black & White Document” may be grey.
Crop in the music to be scanned by dragging mouse in preview.
Scan between 300-400 dpi (average printed music).

Scanning and Recognition
USING SmartScore 31

3.3 Working with HP® scanners in Windows

3.3.1 Choose Interface > SmartScore’s (with HP scanners)
For Win 98, Win 2000

a. Push Scan button or File > Scan Music > Acquire.
b. Check the Override Grey button in the SmartScore interface.
NOTE: Adjust the midpoint where light grey pixels go to white and dark grey
pixels go to black by using the Threshold slider.

3.3.2 Choose Interface > Your Scanner’s (with HP scanners)
Working with HP PrecisionScan®

a. Go to File > Scan Music > Choose Interface and select Your Scanner’s. Push
the Scan button in the Navigator bar.
b. Select “Black and White Document or Text” in PrecisionScan.
c. Push the “Adjust Quality” link and change Resolution to 300, 350 or 400 as
required.
d. Push “Scan”. Image will be transferred to SmartScore for saving and
recognition. If a warning that resolution is 7 dpi appears, reset resolution.
NOTE: If problems still occur, scan outside of SmartScore. See below. Refer to
basic settings “Scanning Outside of Smart-Score” on page 42.

3.3.3 Scanning Outside of SmartScore (with HP scanners)
HP PrecisionScan scanning interfaces (Win Only)
For HP scanner models 3200, 3300, 4100, and 4200 (PrecisionScan LT) and for HP
scanner models 2100, 2200, 3400, and 4300 (PrecisionScan LTX):
a. Choose Settings > Output Type menu option.
b. Select “Black and White”.
c. Set Resolution to 300 to 400 dpi.

3.6 Scanning Outside of SmartScore
An alternative to operating your scanner from inside SmartScore using TWAIN or a
Mac plug-in is to scan in another application. You can use your scanner’s
software or a third-party imaging program like Photoshop® to scan and save
images. Then Recognize the saved images in SmartScore. This is the least
desirable choice. You will get more reliable results if you scan from within
SmartScore.

If you are going to scan outside of SmartScore, use the following guidelines for
successful music scanning:
Place music in the scanner as straight as possible.
Set Output or Purpose to Black & White (Line Art, 1 bit or OCR) not color or
gray. Do not select “Color” or “Photo”.
Set Resolution to 300-400 dpi for average printed music.
Set Darkness to -10 or -15% for average printed music.
Save as TIFF file. Uncompressed will be about 1 MB per page.
Compressed files are smaller. BMP will work too. Use a unique filename for each
page... e.g. Page1.tif, Page2.tif, etc.
TIP: Optimum resolution is achieved when the distance between staff lines is
about 20 pixels. Zoom into the image. Referring to the mouse position readout in
the status bar, measure the distance between two lines in a stave (measure white
space only).

The next step is to contact Musitek support to see if they can work it out.

--

> Brian, it is the PrecisionScan software that is incompatible with this
> program not the scanner. That's why I'm trying to install the scanner only. I
> read the following article:
> http://www.musitek.com/faqs.html#Scanning%20Issues and it states:
> " Click on a TWAIN driver to select it (for HP, select “WIA-Hewlett-Packard
> Scanjet xxx” Do NOT select “PrecisionScan”). If a TWAIN driver is not
> visible, reinstall your scanners software making sure you install TWAIN. This
> is sometimes an option found under “Custom Installation”. Contact your
> scanner manufacturer for more details on how to install TWAIN onto your
> machine."
> And the option to install TWAIN only isn't there with this software. If
> PrecisionScan isn't incompatible, then why are they saying the above?I know
> her scanner will work with this program because when I installed it the first
> time, it worked with their interface but now it won't. Plus, I have scanned
> music with my scanner and have taken those files over there and they work
> great! If I use her scanner, and we try to transpose, it puts top part of it
> in for example: 5 flats and
> bottom part in maybe 7 sharps where it should be the same top and bottom and
> then click on play and you never heard such a mess. But, with my files that I
> scanned with my scanner, it works correctly. Have any more ideas? Thanks for
> your time.

from the install package, the twain drivers will reside in
C:\sj648\Oppro\scanmgr\disk1
the program is setup.exe
to install twain without OmnipagePro
--

Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de
Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
Catalog of removal tools (1)
Catalog of removal tools (2)
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before
use
Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters

_
"Jones" <Jones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 'm been working on my friend's computer this week to install an old
scanner
> without installating the scanner software. She has a program that their
> support site says this program IS incompatible with the PrecisionScan
> software and the fix was to install just the twain driver. I tried this
but
> the problem is, when you go to "add hardware" under scanner to select the
> manufacturer, the choice of manufacturer is not listed. There is not one
> manufacturer name listed but Kodak. I reinstalled Windows and hoped that
> would fix the problem but it didn't. Is there a way to do it manually
without
> having to format and start over? For example, is there a file I can
download,
> or a registry entry I can add? What controls the manufacturers list? Is it
> registry entry, a file, or what and how can I repair it without having to
> format and start from scratch? Thanks!

Jones

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

Thank you everyone for all your help! I've printed out everyone's suggestions
and hope to try it soon. It may be a few days or next week before she'll have
time for me to work on it. Her husband is on vacation this week but maybe
she'll get tired of him being home everyday and want me to come over and work
on her computer in spite of him. :) Thanks again everyone! I'll let you know
the outcome! Jones

"Jones" wrote:

> 'm been working on my friend's computer this week to install an old scanner
> without installating the scanner software. She has a program that their
> support site says this program IS incompatible with the PrecisionScan
> software and the fix was to install just the twain driver. I tried this but
> the problem is, when you go to "add hardware" under scanner to select the
> manufacturer, the choice of manufacturer is not listed. There is not one
> manufacturer name listed but Kodak. I reinstalled Windows and hoped that
> would fix the problem but it didn't. Is there a way to do it manually without
> having to format and start over? For example, is there a file I can download,
> or a registry entry I can add? What controls the manufacturers list? Is it a
> registry entry, a file, or what and how can I repair it without having to
> format and start from scratch? Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS