UPgrade to XP Home or Vista?

Hi

I am going to buy a new system. Is there a reason to buy a 64 bit system or
should i just buy a upper end AMD or P4? Also am i better off to get the
Beta Vista, or stay with XP Home? My uses are basic, cam corder, digital
camera with movie format. scanner, printer. I am going to have a dvd dual
layer rw and cd rw,. Is a P4 3.0 adequate, and what about the AMD, 3200?
If you can
Thanks
--
I AM A CHEESEHEAD AND A BADGER!
4 answers Last reply

    shortstop643 <shortstop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I am going to buy a new system. Is there a reason to buy a 64 bit system or
    >should i just buy a upper end AMD or P4? Also am i better off to get the
    >Beta Vista, or stay with XP Home? My uses are basic, cam corder, digital
    >camera with movie format. scanner, printer. I am going to have a dvd dual
    >layer rw and cd rw,. Is a P4 3.0 adequate, and what about the AMD, 3200?
    >If you can
    >Thanks

    At this point Windows Vista is in the early Beta stages, the part
    where Beta really means "too full of bugs to be released".

    I would not advise anyone to use a beta version of an operating system
    as their primary, or only, operating system on a computer. For one
    thing, drivers are not yet available for a number of peripherals.

    Look at 64 bit systems, where AMD is the CPU of choice, and get one if
    your budget will stretch that far. And look into getting the 64 bit
    version of Windows XP if you want, although there are issues with that
    as well, especially with regard to availability of device drivers.

    As for your P4 question, a 3 ghz machine with 512 mb or even better 1
    gb of RAM will perform very will with Windows XP. Although the
    detailed specs for hardware for Windows Vista are yet to be released,
    it should be fully adequate for that as well.

    With Windows XP having lots of RAM is more important than raw CPU
    processing speed, and I suspect that Vista may share that
    characteristic as well, although it is far too early yet to able to
    tell.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    shortstop643 <shortstop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I am going to buy a new system. Is there a reason to buy a 64 bit system or
    >should i just buy a upper end AMD or P4? Also am i better off to get the
    >Beta Vista, or stay with XP Home? My uses are basic, cam corder, digital
    >camera with movie format. scanner, printer. I am going to have a dvd dual
    >layer rw and cd rw,. Is a P4 3.0 adequate, and what about the AMD, 3200?
    >If you can

    Vista is a beta product, it would be a *really bad* idea to use that
    for your primary computer. It's beta because it isn't ready for prime
    time yet.

    IMHO, forget about 64-bit machines right now unless you *really* need
    speed and capacity for some task. There aren't a lot of 64-bit
    applications available at the moment (AFAIK), and a 64-bit machine
    will cost you a *lot* more than 32-bit hardware.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)

    Hi

    so with these specs, am i over doing it?
    ----------------------
    Quantity Description Each Total Price
    1 Antec Mid Tower SLK3700BQE Quiet 350W Case (Black) $1,240.00 $1,240.00
    Asus A8V-E SE Socket 939/VIA K8T890/PCI-Express Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200+* (2.0GHz) 939pin Retail
    Seagate ST3160827AS 160GB Serial ATA 7200rpm 8MB Hard Drive
    1GB DDR400 PC3200 RAM (2x512MB)
    Floppy Drive - Black
    Lite-On SOHW-1693S 16X DVD+/-RW Double Layer Drive
    Asus Extreme AX550GE Gamer 256MB PCI-Express Video Card
    v.92 PCI Intel Chip Hardware Modem
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS 7.1 PCI Internal Sound Card
    Windows XP Home SP2 #N09-01153
    Super Talent Multimedia & Internet Keyboard + Optical Wheel Mouse USB &
    PS/2 Black
    AOpen MS805-B Black 3-Piece Speaker System

    1 Acer AL1715s-8 17" LCD Display 500:1, DVI/VGA 8MS - Silver - ET.L2102.208
    290.00 $290.00
    This monitor has a DVI connection, plus built in speakers (if you would
    want to forego
    buying separate speakers).

    thanks

    --

    "Tim Slattery" wrote:

    > shortstop643 <shortstop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi
    > >
    > >I am going to buy a new system. Is there a reason to buy a 64 bit system or
    > >should i just buy a upper end AMD or P4? Also am i better off to get the
    > >Beta Vista, or stay with XP Home? My uses are basic, cam corder, digital
    > >camera with movie format. scanner, printer. I am going to have a dvd dual
    > >layer rw and cd rw,. Is a P4 3.0 adequate, and what about the AMD, 3200?
    > >If you can
    >
    > Vista is a beta product, it would be a *really bad* idea to use that
    > for your primary computer. It's beta because it isn't ready for prime
    > time yet.
    >
    > IMHO, forget about 64-bit machines right now unless you *really* need
    > speed and capacity for some task. There aren't a lot of 64-bit
    > applications available at the moment (AFAIK), and a 64-bit machine
    > will cost you a *lot* more than 32-bit hardware.
    >
    > --
    > Tim Slattery
    > MS MVP(DTS)
    > Slattery_T@bls.gov

    I'd get *at_least* 2 gigs RAM if you're planning on running Vista any time
    soon..

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User