Sign in with
Your question

Need to build a new PC, could u guys lend a hand?

Last response: in Systems
May 7, 2006 6:28:56 PM

I heard from my friend that this forums were totally kickass and could help me build my system :p 

I've been doing a little research but I am no expert.

What I do know is that I need a PC now (like this week) because I am an exchange student in the US and back in Mexico, where I am from, there is NO WAY to get good deals on hardware (not to mention the latest).

So lets start.

Motherboard:

I know I will be using a 975 motherboard because I want to be able to upgrade to a Conroe processor in the future. I assume that this Mobo has ethernet, USB 2.0, firewire and stuff already integrated, right? Maybe even sound?

Processor:

High end to Medium High end. I dont know which kinds of processors I can get with the 975 mobo. :( 

GFx card Sound card:
I have no personal preference on either ATI or Nvidia. What I do know is that I want it to be moderately good, but not mega high end. I will be upgrading when the DX10 cards are available... So, there is no point spending a bundle.. maybe on the $250 range (should be enough to play the latest games, i recon) As for the sound card, any will be good I guess.

HDD:
Any will be good... I would like to have around 300 GB because I am going to be doing some media plus gaming on the side. I've read that its recommended to have like a small HDD for windows and program installs and a bigger secondary one to store media...

Case - Power supplies - Cooling:
I have no idea what to look for in this area. Any pointers? I have read that some cases are easier to open up and stuff... got any names? :) 

Monitor:
I have an oooold CRT, so a good LCD is in order. What specs should I take into consideration? I think for size around 19" or 21" widescreen if possible :p 

RAM:

I think 2 GB will last me quite a bit, but I dont know which brand or which type should i get?

KB - Mouse - Extra stuff:
I think I can manage in this area :p 

So I think that's all...

I can use any website (preferably all of the components from the same retailer.. newegg, zipzoomfly, etc..) the important thing is that I need all of this things to be on my doorstep before the 15th 8O (is that even possible?)

Thanks in advance! :) 

More about : build guys lend hand

May 7, 2006 7:01:05 PM

Welcome to the forum(z)... First thing we need to know is your overall budget.

You still have plenty of time to get parts by the 15th.
May 7, 2006 7:08:25 PM

Also, does anyone out there know for sure that Conroe will run on the 975x chipset? I've heard some say it will and others say it won't...
Related resources
May 7, 2006 7:47:56 PM

For the budged I think around $1500 would be ok maybe even a bit more depending if the components are worth it :) 

I always do one big expensive upgrade every 3 - 4 years so this is it :p 

thanks! :) 
May 7, 2006 8:03:04 PM

I think the extra $50 is worth it because it makes the mobo more future proof.

Now, lets see...

What about cases and power supplies? any suggestions?
May 7, 2006 8:08:32 PM

Quote:
I think the extra $50 is worth it because it makes the mobo more future proof.

Now, lets see...

What about cases and power supplies? any suggestions?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingReview.asp?DEPA...

and antec truepower 2 550w

radeon x1800xt or geforce 7900gt

2 gigs of any kind of ram, corsair xms, ocz, or even value ram will be sufficient.

random 300gb off newegg, preferably with 16mb cache and 7200 rpm, sata

good luck
May 7, 2006 8:19:48 PM

975 will require at least a BIOS flash to run Conroe, if at all due to the low voltages, as I understand it. It can't hurt to buy a 975 'just in case', but whether or not it'll support Conroe is not certain. Yet.
May 7, 2006 8:26:51 PM

So, basically any motherboard that hast 975 is ok right?

hmm, also... which pentium processor is a good buy atm?

MesaRectifier: yeah I rather play it safe and I'll cross my fingers the mobo I buy supports conroe :p 
May 7, 2006 8:27:10 PM
May 7, 2006 8:42:49 PM

Absolutley agree with Rev about the CPU, if you're looking to upgrade in the future you definitely shouldn't go all-out at this stage. Remember to factor in a copy of Windows as well, you have no idea how PO'd I'm getting with people saying to me 'My Windows suddenly keeps telling me it wants me to buy a legal version' after that new MS update (stupid for buying ripped off Win, stupid-er for leaving automatic update on).
May 7, 2006 8:50:06 PM

I just need a CPU that will last me about a year with decent performance. I give Conroe a Year more or less to become commonplace and have good deals all around :p 

What's the diff between Pentium D and Pentium 4?

As for the copy of windows / office, I can get both for 20 dollars at my university with some kind of deal they have with Microsoft, so no worries there :) 

I just have to choose the CPU now, and I will show u guys my setup so u can give feedback :) 

Thanks Rev! I will take into consideration your setup as well! (I think the sound card is a bit too much :p )
May 7, 2006 8:53:37 PM

P4 is older tech, Pentium D is dual core.
May 7, 2006 9:15:44 PM
May 7, 2006 9:23:00 PM

The only mobo that I know of that is compatibile with conroe is the Intel D975XBX (revision 304). I would becareful in assuming that all 975 motherboards support conroe, and I would definately do research on the motherboard that you are planning to buy. Also you said that you live in Mexico and can not get the lattest parts. How will you get your hands on a conroe in the future? Do online retailers not ship to Mexico? If they did I would definately wait so that you dont waste your money.
May 7, 2006 9:26:09 PM

The 7900 is a great card, period. It'll definitely last you for a good while.

The CPU is of course a good CPU, it's quite expensive so perhaps consider a cheaper one, although if you're waiting for Conroe to get cheap (rather than launch day) then go for the Presler now by all means.

You need to think hard about whether or not you really want the Raptor. Sure they're great, and very fast, but $160 is a LOT of money for a drive.
May 7, 2006 9:35:55 PM

Most of these suggestions are good, but it depends on if you want to O/C.

The 930 would be a very good choice, but if you are willing to overclock,

and want to upgrade to Conroe once it's out and the teething problems

get sorted out, you can't beat the 805 for bang/buck. It may be more of

an energy pig, but that will only be a factor for you for ~a year, and you

can O/C it to 3.6 fairly confidently. :) 
May 7, 2006 9:36:40 PM

Yeah, I plan to research and make sure the mobo compatible, no doubt about it. Which is a good site for that? :p 

As for the HDD, I think I will ditch it and just get the 250 Gb one, its just too much money now that I think about it. Also It will put the system more or less within budget once again.

I think I will go with the Pentium D so it will last at least a couple of years with good performance.

Edit: I've never been big with overclocking so I don't know if I should go that route.
May 7, 2006 10:44:29 PM

Quote:
As for the HDD, I think I will ditch it and just get the 250 Gb one, its just too much money now that I think about it. Also It will put the system more or less within budget once again.

Yeah, you have to pay a premium for those Raptors, but I know some people couldn't fathom life without them... They also make a 36GB version for about 100 bucks, fyi.

I like your setup -- should be a great system for the $$.
May 8, 2006 1:47:13 AM

Quote:
975 will require at least a BIOS flash to run Conroe, if at all due to the low voltages, as I understand it. It can't hurt to buy a 975 'just in case', but whether or not it'll support Conroe is not certain. Yet.

Yep, be cautious. The the 975x may not be compatible with Conroe even after a BIOS flash.
May 8, 2006 3:01:34 AM

Quote:
Also, does anyone out there know for sure that Conroe will run on the 975x chipset? I've heard some say it will and others say it won't...

See what I mean?
May 8, 2006 4:23:19 AM

Quote:
You need to think hard about whether or not you really want the Raptor. Sure they're great, and very fast, but $160 is a LOT of money for a drive.

Currently $130 on Newegg after $30 MIR.
!