xcopy says "file(s) not found"

When I try to execute xcopy (via an MS-DOS Batch file in Win98) for a folder
full of other folders and files to backup everything on a zip disk, the DOS
window opens but immediately gives the error:
File not found - *.*

My xcopy command reads as follows:
xcopy "f:\backup\*.* "i:\*.*" /s /d /v /e /r

I tried removing some of the switches but it didn't help. This same batch
file has worked perfectly on PC's running WinME and WinXP. I think it was
created in XP, then I just copy it wherever I need it.
27 answers Last reply
More about xcopy file found

    "krouse" <krouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DB08E7AE-725C-4F9B-8D7B-9C78A845B357@microsoft.com...
    > When I try to execute xcopy (via an MS-DOS Batch file in Win98) for a folder
    > full of other folders and files to backup everything on a zip disk, the DOS
    > window opens but immediately gives the error:
    > File not found - *.*
    >
    > My xcopy command reads as follows:
    > xcopy "f:\backup\*.* "i:\*.*" /s /d /v /e /r

    Remove the *.* from the destination for starters. You also don't need
    the quotes since both are legal 8.3 names. (though that probably doesn't matter)

    "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message news:OfYhRZPtFHA.3752@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > "krouse" <krouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DB08E7AE-725C-4F9B-8D7B-9C78A845B357@microsoft.com...
    >> When I try to execute xcopy (via an MS-DOS Batch file in Win98) for a folder
    >> full of other folders and files to backup everything on a zip disk, the DOS
    >> window opens but immediately gives the error:
    >> File not found - *.*
    >>
    >> My xcopy command reads as follows:
    >> xcopy "f:\backup\*.* "i:\*.*" /s /d /v /e /r

    I just noticed.. you have one opening quote without a closing around
    the source. But *.* is an illegal dest anyway...

    > Remove the *.* from the destination for starters. You also don't need
    > the quotes since both are legal 8.3 names. (though that probably doesn't matter)
    >

    > xcopy f:\backup\*.* i:\ /s /d /v /e /r
    >

    >> I tried removing some of the switches but it didn't help. This same batch
    >> file has worked perfectly on PC's running WinME and WinXP. I think it was
    >> created in XP, then I just copy it wherever I need it.

    On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 21:01:04 -0700, krouse
    <krouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >When I try to execute xcopy (via an MS-DOS Batch file in Win98) for a folder
    >full of other folders and files to backup everything on a zip disk, the DOS
    >window opens but immediately gives the error:
    >File not found - *.*
    >
    >My xcopy command reads as follows:
    >xcopy "f:\backup\*.* "i:\*.*" /s /d /v /e /r
    >
    >I tried removing some of the switches but it didn't help. This same batch
    >file has worked perfectly on PC's running WinME and WinXP. I think it was
    >created in XP, then I just copy it wherever I need it.

    Have you tried it without any quotation marks?

    You have 3 quotation marks, they are applied in sets, ie: 2 or 4.

    Try:
    xcopy f:\backup\*.* i:\ /s /d /v /e /r
    or
    xcopy f:\backup\*.* i:\*.* /s /d /v /e /r
    or
    xcopy "f:\backup\*.* i:\*.*" /s /d /v /e /r

    I'm assuming you have determined what switches you want.

    Enter xcopy /? |more (the | is the pipe symbol above the \ key
    and pauses the screen so you can view it all like /P). That lists
    all the switches.

    BTW /H copies hidden files as well and I wonder what /r does?

    Regards,

    Bill Watt
    Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 00:47:30 -0400, Bill Watt <nobwatt@ptd.net> put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >Enter xcopy /? |more (the | is the pipe symbol above the \ key
    >and pauses the screen so you can view it all like /P). That lists
    >all the switches.
    >
    >BTW /H copies hidden files as well and I wonder what /r does?

    "Overwrites read-only files".

    -- Franc Zabkar

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 16:29:45 +1000, Franc Zabkar
    <fzabkar@iinternode.on.net> wrote:

    >On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 00:47:30 -0400, Bill Watt <nobwatt@ptd.net> put
    >finger to keyboard and composed:
    >
    >>Enter xcopy /? |more (the | is the pipe symbol above the \ key
    >>and pauses the screen so you can view it all like /P). That lists
    >>all the switches.
    >>
    >>BTW /H copies hidden files as well and I wonder what /r does?
    >
    >"Overwrites read-only files".
    >
    >-- Franc Zabkar
    >
    >Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.

    Geeze, there it was right in front of me. :-)

    Thanks,

    "Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message news:11i4i1t3n412ftivmhlq6lkac2jahjgvrd@4ax.com...
    > On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 16:29:45 +1000, Franc Zabkar
    > <fzabkar@iinternode.on.net> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 00:47:30 -0400, Bill Watt <nobwatt@ptd.net> put
    >>finger to keyboard and composed:
    >>
    >>>Enter xcopy /? |more (the | is the pipe symbol above the \ key
    >>>and pauses the screen so you can view it all like /P). That lists
    >>>all the switches.
    >>>
    >>>BTW /H copies hidden files as well and I wonder what /r does?
    >>
    >>"Overwrites read-only files".

    > Geeze, there it was right in front of me. :-)

    Eat more fish :)

    On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 22:57:25 -0400, "Bill Blanton"
    <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote:

    >"Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message news:11i4i1t3n412ftivmhlq6lkac2jahjgvrd@4ax.com...
    >> On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 16:29:45 +1000, Franc Zabkar
    >> <fzabkar@iinternode.on.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 00:47:30 -0400, Bill Watt <nobwatt@ptd.net> put
    >>>finger to keyboard and composed:

    >>>"Overwrites read-only files".
    >
    >> Geeze, there it was right in front of me. :-)
    >
    >Eat more fish :)

    I should, I looked that list over 4 or 5 times for R and missed it.
    Too bad xcopy and xxcopy don't support LFN's in Real Dos.

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 00:17:10 -0400, Bill Watt <nobwatt@ptd.net> put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 22:57:25 -0400, "Bill Blanton"
    ><bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote:
    >
    >>"Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message news:11i4i1t3n412ftivmhlq6lkac2jahjgvrd@4ax.com...

    >>> Geeze, there it was right in front of me. :-)
    >>
    >>Eat more fish :)
    >
    >I should, I looked that list over 4 or 5 times for R and missed it.
    >Too bad xcopy and xxcopy don't support LFN's in Real Dos.

    I just remember "CHERKY", ie xcopy /c /h ...

    -- Franc Zabkar

    also, why have an S/ & an E/, doesnt one cancel out the other.?

    ...Rex..

    "Rex" <Rex@Hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OTE6cCntFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > also, why have an S/ & an E/, doesnt one cancel out the other.?

    Yes,, /s /e is the same as /e. It even says so in the /?

    I guess the logic is

    (except empty dirs) + (including empty dirs) = (including empty dirs)

    > "Franc Zabkar" <fzabkar@iinternode.on.net> wrote in message

    >> I just remember "CHERKY", ie xcopy /c /h ...

    I remember richkey..

    No matter what changes I make, I keep getting the same error:
    File not found - *.*

    I have tried all the suggestions in this post. I apologize for originally
    mistyping the command; I only had quotes around the first directory path.
    But since then, I have tried removing all quotes as well as the asterisks.
    If I take out the asterisks, I get:
    File not found - *

    Please help me get this xcopy working! It would seem that something is
    wrong in the syntax for the first directory path; xcopy is not even FINDING
    any files...

    Jeff

    "Bill Watt" wrote:

    > On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 21:01:04 -0700, krouse
    > <krouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >When I try to execute xcopy (via an MS-DOS Batch file in Win98) for a folder
    > >full of other folders and files to backup everything on a zip disk, the DOS
    > >window opens but immediately gives the error:
    > >File not found - *.*
    > >
    > >My xcopy command reads as follows:
    > >xcopy "f:\backup\*.* "i:\*.*" /s /d /v /e /r
    > >
    > >I tried removing some of the switches but it didn't help. This same batch
    > >file has worked perfectly on PC's running WinME and WinXP. I think it was
    > >created in XP, then I just copy it wherever I need it.
    >
    > Have you tried it without any quotation marks?
    >
    > You have 3 quotation marks, they are applied in sets, ie: 2 or 4.
    >
    > Try:
    > xcopy f:\backup\*.* i:\ /s /d /v /e /r
    > or
    > xcopy f:\backup\*.* i:\*.* /s /d /v /e /r
    > or
    > xcopy "f:\backup\*.* i:\*.*" /s /d /v /e /r
    >
    > I'm assuming you have determined what switches you want.
    >
    > Enter xcopy /? |more (the | is the pipe symbol above the \ key
    > and pauses the screen so you can view it all like /P). That lists
    > all the switches.
    >
    > BTW /H copies hidden files as well and I wonder what /r does?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Bill Watt
    > Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

    You have an error in the command line.
    the second *.* should not be there.

    xcopy "f:\backup\*.* "i:\*.*" /s /d /v /e /r

    Use Bill Watts suggesion of:
    Try:
    xcopy f:\backup\*.* i:\ /s /d /v /e /r

    Of if you want, make a folder (directory) on the i drive called backup then
    use
    xcopy f:\backup\*.* I:\backup /s /d /v/ e /r

    The second *.* tells the computer to find a folder called *.* on the i
    drive.
    Naming a folder *.* would be a violation of the folder naming convention.

    > No matter what changes I make, I keep getting the same error:
    > File not found - *.*
    >
    > I have tried all the suggestions in this post. I apologize for originally
    > mistyping the command; I only had quotes around the first directory path.
    > But since then, I have tried removing all quotes as well as the asterisks.
    > If I take out the asterisks, I get:
    > File not found - *
    >
    > Please help me get this xcopy working! It would seem that something is
    > wrong in the syntax for the first directory path; xcopy is not even
    > FINDING
    > any files...
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > "Bill Watt" wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 21:01:04 -0700, krouse
    >> <krouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >When I try to execute xcopy (via an MS-DOS Batch file in Win98) for a
    >> >folder
    >> >full of other folders and files to backup everything on a zip disk, the
    >> >DOS
    >> >window opens but immediately gives the error:
    >> >File not found - *.*
    >> >
    >> >My xcopy command reads as follows:
    >> >xcopy "f:\backup\*.* "i:\*.*" /s /d /v /e /r
    >> >
    >> >I tried removing some of the switches but it didn't help. This same
    >> >batch
    >> >file has worked perfectly on PC's running WinME and WinXP. I think it
    >> >was
    >> >created in XP, then I just copy it wherever I need it.
    >>
    >> Have you tried it without any quotation marks?
    >>
    >> You have 3 quotation marks, they are applied in sets, ie: 2 or 4.
    >>
    >> Try:
    >> xcopy f:\backup\*.* i:\ /s /d /v /e /r
    >> or
    >> xcopy f:\backup\*.* i:\*.* /s /d /v /e /r
    >> or
    >> xcopy "f:\backup\*.* i:\*.*" /s /d /v /e /r
    >>
    >> I'm assuming you have determined what switches you want.
    >>
    >> Enter xcopy /? |more (the | is the pipe symbol above the \ key
    >> and pauses the screen so you can view it all like /P). That lists
    >> all the switches.
    >>
    >> BTW /H copies hidden files as well and I wonder what /r does?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Bill Watt
    >> Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

    if exist f:\backup\*.* xcopy f:\backup\*.* /s /d /v /e /r

    are you sure there are files to copy in the folder, and the folder is still
    there

    --

    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    _
    "krouse" <krouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I try to execute xcopy (via an MS-DOS Batch file in Win98) for a
    folder
    > full of other folders and files to backup everything on a zip disk, the
    DOS
    > window opens but immediately gives the error:
    > File not found - *.*
    >
    > My xcopy command reads as follows:
    > xcopy "f:\backup\*.* "i:\*.*" /s /d /v /e /r
    >
    > I tried removing some of the switches but it didn't help. This same batch
    > file has worked perfectly on PC's running WinME and WinXP. I think it was
    > created in XP, then I just copy it wherever I need it.

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:04:02 -0700, krouse
    <krouse@discussions.microsoft.com> put finger to keyboard and
    composed:

    >No matter what changes I make, I keep getting the same error:
    >File not found - *.*
    >
    >I have tried all the suggestions in this post. I apologize for originally
    >mistyping the command; I only had quotes around the first directory path.
    >But since then, I have tried removing all quotes as well as the asterisks.
    >If I take out the asterisks, I get:
    >File not found - *
    >
    >Please help me get this xcopy working! It would seem that something is
    >wrong in the syntax for the first directory path; xcopy is not even FINDING
    >any files...
    >
    >Jeff
    >
    >"Bill Watt" wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 21:01:04 -0700, krouse
    >> <krouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >When I try to execute xcopy (via an MS-DOS Batch file in Win98) for a folder
    >> >full of other folders and files to backup everything on a zip disk, the DOS
    >> >window opens but immediately gives the error:
    >> >File not found - *.*
    >> >
    >> >My xcopy command reads as follows:
    >> >xcopy "f:\backup\*.* "i:\*.*" /s /d /v /e /r
    ^^
    I think the "date" switch may not be working correctly. In my case it
    gives a "0 files copied" result. In fact I don't think I've ever
    managed to get the date switch to work correctly.

    -- Franc Zabkar

    R-Clk the batch file, & select Edit. Post it, so we may see the changes. What is "/V" supposed to do?

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:32:48 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >R-Clk the batch file, & select Edit. Post it, so we may see the changes. What is "/V" supposed to do?

    Type "help xcopy" at the DOS prompt:

    /V
    Verifies each file as it is written to the destination file to
    make sure that the destination files are identical to the source
    files.

    Alternatively, you can view the xcopy32.mod file, in read-only mode,
    at the DOS prompt:

    edit /r /64 xcopy32.mod

    -- Franc Zabkar

    Oops, I meant to post to krouse. I don't have...

    C:\>help xcopy
    Bad command or file name

    It was removed in Win98SE. "XCOPY /?" does NOT show a "/V", & it shows a
    LOT more than what I see inside XCOPY32.mod...

    KXCOPY source [destination] [/A | /M] [/D:date] [/P] [/S [/E]] [/V] [/W]

    / source Specifies the file(s) to copy.
    A destination Specifies the location and/or name of new files.
    = /A Copies files with the archive attribute set,
    .. doesn't change the attribute.
    = /M Copies files with the archive attribute set,
    1 turns off the archive attribute.
    E /D:date Copies files changed on or after the specified date.
    C /P Prompts you before creating each destination file.
    I /S Copies directories and subdirectories except empty ones.
    : /E Copies any subdirectories, even if empty.
    ( /V Verifies each new file.
    ; /W Prompts you to press a key before copying.

    "/V" is shown in "COPY /?", but that one doesn't quite match the above,
    either.

    --

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:33:58 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >Oops, I meant to post to krouse. I don't have...
    >
    >C:\>help xcopy
    >Bad command or file name

    You need to install Qbasic.

    >It was removed in Win98SE.

    You'll find help.* and qbasic.* in the \tools\oldmsdos directory on
    your Win98SE CD. Copy these files to your \windows\command directory.

    >"XCOPY /?" does NOT show a "/V", & it shows a
    >LOT more than what I see inside XCOPY32.mod...

    There's a bit at the beginning, but the rest is at the end of the
    file.

    | On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:33:58 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> put
    | finger to keyboard and composed:
    |
    | >Oops, I meant to post to krouse. I don't have...
    | >
    | >C:\>help xcopy
    | >Bad command or file name
    |
    | You need to install Qbasic.
    |
    | >It was removed in Win98SE.
    |
    | You'll find help.* and qbasic.* in the \tools\oldmsdos directory on
    | your Win98SE CD. Copy these files to your \windows\command directory.

    You are right, it is on the CD, but I don't have one, only
    C:\Windows\Options\Cabs. I know there is an URL...
    ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Services/TechNet/samples/ps/win98/reskit/help/rk98book.chm
    ....to get it from. But these are HELP screens for pre-WIN98 DOS & has
    never been updated. I just use "/?".

    | >"XCOPY /?" does NOT show a "/V", & it shows a
    | >LOT more than what I see inside XCOPY32.mod...
    |
    | There's a bit at the beginning, but the rest is at the end of the
    | file.

    I don't see it, & none of these match what I do see...

    COPY /?
    XCOPY /?
    XCOPY32 /?

    COPY comes closest...
    C:\>copy/?
    Copies one or more files to another location.

    COPY [/A | /B] source [/A | /B] [+ source [/A | /B] [+ ...]]
    [destination
    [/A | /B]] [/V] [/Y | /-Y]

    source Specifies the file or files to be copied.
    /A Indicates an ASCII text file.
    /B Indicates a binary file.
    destination Specifies the directory and/or filename for the new
    file(s).
    /V Verifies that new files are written correctly.
    /Y Suppresses prompting to confirm you want to overwrite an
    existing destination file.
    /-Y Causes prompting to confirm you want to overwrite an
    existing destination file.

    The switch /Y may be preset in the COPYCMD environment variable.
    This may be overridden with /-Y on the command line

    To append files, specify a single file for destination, but multiple
    files
    for source (using wildcards or file1+file2+file3 format).

    | >XCOPY source [destination] [/A | /M] [/D:date] [/P] [/S [/E]] [/V]
    [/W]

    | -- Franc Zabkar
    |
    | Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:07:13 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >| >"XCOPY /?" does NOT show a "/V", & it shows a
    >| >LOT more than what I see inside XCOPY32.mod...
    >|
    >| There's a bit at the beginning, but the rest is at the end of the
    >| file.
    >
    >I don't see it, & none of these match what I do see...

    The stuff at the end is the stuff that you see in response to "xcopy
    /?" in a Windows DOS box. It does not include the /V switch. The
    subset of options at the beginning includes /V and is what you see in
    a pure DOS session.

    -- Franc Zabkar

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I see no switches stuff at top or bottom or either of the sides or any
    end-- but only in the middle! I've already posted it, & it doesn't match
    any "/?" I do. However, it is possible it would show up in True DOS,
    unless that one is of a prior DOS, prior to Win98 DOS, uhhh... DOS 6.1.

    --
    | On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:07:13 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> put
    | finger to keyboard and composed:

    | >|
    | >| There's a bit at the beginning, but the rest is at the end of the
    | >| file.
    | >
    | >I don't see it, & none of these match what I do see...
    |
    | The stuff at the end is the stuff that you see in response to "xcopy
    | /?" in a Windows DOS box. It does not include the /V switch. The
    | subset of options at the beginning includes /V and is what you see in
    | a pure DOS session.
    |
    | -- Franc Zabkar
    |
    | Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    xcopy /?

    [Win98 - DOS boot]

    Copies files (except hidden and system files) and directory trees.

    XCOPY source [destination] [/A | /M] [/D:date] [/P] [/S [/E]] [/V] [/W]

    source Specifies the file(s) to copy.
    destination Specifies the location and/or name of new files.
    /A Copies files with the archive attribute set,
    doesn't change the attribute.
    /M Copies files with the archive attribute set,
    turns off the archive attribute.
    /D:date Copies files changed on or after the specified date.
    /P Prompts you before creating each destination file.
    /S Copies directories and subdirectories except empty ones.
    /E Copies any subdirectories, even if empty.
    /V Verifies each new file.
    /W Prompts you to press a key before copying.

    [Win98 - Command prompt]

    Copies files and directory trees.

    XCOPY source [destination] [/A | /M] [/D[:date]] [/P] [/S [/E]] [/W]
    [/C] [/Q] [/F] [/L] [/H] [/R] [/T]
    [/K] [/N]

    source Specifies the file(s) to copy.
    destination Specifies the location and/or name of new files.
    /A Copies files with the archive attribute set,
    doesn't change the attribute.
    /M Copies files with the archive attribute set,
    turns off the archive attribute.
    /D:date Copies files changed on or after the specified date.
    If no date is given, copies only those files whose
    source time is newer than the destination time.
    /P Prompts you before creating each destination file.
    /S Copies directories and subdirectories except empty ones.
    /E Copies directories and subdirectories, including empty ones.
    Same as /S /E. May be used to modify /T.
    /W Prompts you to press a key before copying.
    /C Continues copying even if errors occur.
    /I If destination does not exist and copying more than one file,
    assumes that destination must be a directory.
    /Q Does not display file names while copying.
    /F Displays full source and destination file names while copying.
    /L Displays files that would be copied.
    /H Copies hidden and system files also.
    /R Overwrites read-only files.
    /T Creates directory structure, but does not copy files. Does not
    include empty directories or subdirectories. /T /E includes
    empty directories and subdirectories.
    /U Updates the files that already exist in destination.
    /K Copies attributes. Normal Xcopy will reset read-only attributes.
    /Y Overwrites existing files without prompting.
    /-Y Prompts you before overwriting existing files.
    /N Copy using the generated short names.

    "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message news:eagTdVWuFHA.1136@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    >I see no switches stuff at top or bottom or either of the sides or any
    > end-- but only in the middle! I've already posted it, & it doesn't match
    > any "/?" I do. However, it is possible it would show up in True DOS,
    > unless that one is of a prior DOS, prior to Win98 DOS, uhhh... DOS 6.1.

    > "Franc Zabkar" <fzabkar@iinternode.on.net> wrote in message
    > | The stuff at the end is the stuff that you see in response to "xcopy
    > | /?" in a Windows DOS box. It does not include the /V switch. The
    > | subset of options at the beginning includes /V and is what you see in
    > | a pure DOS session.
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    | xcopy /?
    |
    | [Win98 - DOS boot]
    |
    | Copies files (except hidden and system files) and directory trees.
    |
    | XCOPY source [destination] [/A | /M] [/D:date] [/P] [/S [/E]] [/V]
    [/W]

    | source Specifies the file(s) to copy.
    | destination Specifies the location and/or name of new files.
    | /A Copies files with the archive attribute set,
    | doesn't change the attribute.
    | /M Copies files with the archive attribute set,
    | turns off the archive attribute.
    | /D:date Copies files changed on or after the specified date.
    | /P Prompts you before creating each destination file.
    | /S Copies directories and subdirectories except empty
    ones.
    | /E Copies any subdirectories, even if empty.
    | /V Verifies each new file.
    | /W Prompts you to press a key before copying.

    That's what I suspected, it would match at True DOS! Thanks! (What kept
    you?) Again (& finally), from inside XCopy32.mod...

> [...]

    attributes.
    | /Y Overwrites existing files without prompting.
    | /-Y Prompts you before overwriting existing files.
    | /N Copy using the generated short names.

    | >I see no switches stuff at top or bottom or either of the sides or
    any
    | > end-- but only in the middle! I've already posted it, & it doesn't
    match
    | > any "/?" I do. However, it is possible it would show up in True DOS,
    | > unless that one is of a prior DOS, prior to Win98 DOS, uhhh... DOS
    6.1.

    | > "Franc Zabkar" <fzabkar@iinternode.on.net> wrote in message
    | > | The stuff at the end is the stuff that you see in response to
    "xcopy
    | > | /?" in a Windows DOS box. It does not include the /V switch. The
    | > | subset of options at the beginning includes /V and is what you see

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:49:16 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >I see no switches stuff at top or bottom or either of the sides or any
    >end-- but only in the middle! I've already posted it, & it doesn't match
    >any "/?" I do. However, it is possible it would show up in True DOS,
    >unless that one is of a prior DOS, prior to Win98 DOS, uhhh... DOS 6.1.

    Directory of C:\WIN98SE\COMMAND

    XCOPY EXE 3,878 04-23-99 10:22p XCOPY.EXE
    XCOPY32 EXE 3,878 04-23-99 10:22p XCOPY32.EXE
    XCOPY32 MOD 41,472 04-23-99 10:22p XCOPY32.MOD

    All three files contain the following string:
    "MS-DOS Version 7 (C)Copyright 1981-1995 Microsoft Corp"

    Type "edit /r /64 xcopy32.mod" and go to lines 548 through 631. The
    help text is in unicode format, ie two bytes per character. In this
    case the leading bytes are x00 and are displayed as spaces.

    I suggest that familiarity with this technique will stand you in good
    stead. Often you will find undocumented options.

    For example, EDITing fdisk.exe reveals the following switches:

    /PRI /EXT /LOG /PRIO /LOGO /Q /STATUS /? /MBR /X /ACTOK /CMBR /FPRMT
    /XMBR

    Format.com lists these:

    /V /S /4 /1 /8 /B /T /N /SELECT /BACKUP /AUTOTEST /F /Z /U /? /Q /C

    Doskey.com:

    /? /APPEDIT /BUFSIZE /COMMAND /ECHO /FILE /HISTORY /INSERT /KEYSIZE
    /LINE /MACROS /OVERSTRIKE /PERMANENT /REINSTALL /SCRSIZE /XHISTORY

    -- Franc Zabkar

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    | On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:49:16 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> put
    | finger to keyboard and composed:
    |
    | >I see no switches stuff at top or bottom or either of the sides or
    any
    | >end-- but only in the middle! I've already posted it, & it doesn't
    match
    | >any "/?" I do. However, it is possible it would show up in True DOS,
    | >unless that one is of a prior DOS, prior to Win98 DOS, uhhh... DOS
    6.1.

    | Directory of C:\WIN98SE\COMMAND
    |
    | XCOPY EXE 3,878 04-23-99 10:22p XCOPY.EXE
    | XCOPY32 EXE 3,878 04-23-99 10:22p XCOPY32.EXE
    | XCOPY32 MOD 41,472 04-23-99 10:22p XCOPY32.MOD
    |
    | All three files contain the following string:
    | "MS-DOS Version 7 (C)Copyright 1981-1995 Microsoft Corp"

    Yea, sorry, Window 98 came with DOS 7.1. I was a little lazy there &
    should have looked it up. I DID...

    C:\>ver
    Windows 98 [Version 4.10.2222]

    ...., which was no help & only made me angry.

    | Type "edit /r /64 xcopy32.mod" and go to lines 548 through 631. The
    | help text is in unicode format, ie two bytes per character. In this
    | case the leading bytes are x00 and are displayed as spaces.

    Just how do you get to lines 548 through 631? You go, & come back & post
    them. Anyhow, the mystery is solved-- in True DOS the switches DO MATCH
    those in C:\Windows\Command\XCopy32.mod that I did find & post.
    Therefore, XCopy will work differently in True DOS than it does in
    Windows DOS (in a box). Some DOS command do!

    | I suggest that familiarity with this technique will stand you in good
    | stead. Often you will find undocumented options.
    |
    | For example, EDITing fdisk.exe reveals the following switches:
    |
    | /PRI /EXT /LOG /PRIO /LOGO /Q /STATUS /? /MBR /X /ACTOK /CMBR /FPRMT
    | /XMBR
    |
    | Format.com lists these:
    |
    | /V /S /4 /1 /8 /B /T /N /SELECT /BACKUP /AUTOTEST /F /Z /U /? /Q /C
    |
    | Doskey.com:
    |
    | /? /APPEDIT /BUFSIZE /COMMAND /ECHO /FILE /HISTORY /INSERT /KEYSIZE
    | /LINE /MACROS /OVERSTRIKE /PERMANENT /REINSTALL /SCRSIZE /XHISTORY

    Undocumented switches are interesting. I would approach them with
    caution & only use the ones that have been fully tested & documented, if
    a bit late.

    | -- Franc Zabkar
    |
    | Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:55:30 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >| Type "edit /r /64 xcopy32.mod" and go to lines 548 through 631. The
    >| help text is in unicode format, ie two bytes per character. In this
    >| case the leading bytes are x00 and are displayed as spaces.

    >Just how do you get to lines 548 through 631? You go, & come back & post
    >them.

    Watch the bottom bar in response to the Page Down/Up and up/down arrow
    keys. Ctrl Home gets you to the start of the file, Ctrl End brings you
    to the end. The Insert key toggles between insert mode and overstrike
    mode, although the /r switch prevents you from modifying the file.

    In the first window the bar shows the following:

    F1=Help Line:1 Col:1 Value:77

    Value = decimal value of ASCII character under the cursor.

    This is what I see at lines 548-555:

    - % 1 ,C o p i e s f i l e s a n d d i r e c t o r y
    t r e e s . % n % n X C O P Y s o u r c e [ d e s t i n a
    t i o n ] [ / A | / M ] [ / D [ : d a t e ] ] [ / P ]
    [ / S [ / E ] ] [ / W ] % n
    [ / C ] [ / Q ] [ / F ]
    [ / L ] [ / H ] [ / R ] [ / T ] % n
    [ / K ] [ / N ] % n
    % n s o u r c e S p e c i f i e s t h e f i

    -- Franc Zabkar

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Ah! OK, thanks. That appears to be the help screen that displays in
    Windows DOS (in a box), proving the command is different in different
    DOS...

    C:\>xcopy/?

    | On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:55:30 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> put
    | finger to keyboard and composed:
    |
    | >| Type "edit /r /64 xcopy32.mod" and go to lines 548 through 631. The
    | >| help text is in unicode format, ie two bytes per character. In this
    | >| case the leading bytes are x00 and are displayed as spaces.
    |
    | >Just how do you get to lines 548 through 631? You go, & come back &
    post
    | >them.
    |
    | Watch the bottom bar in response to the Page Down/Up and up/down arrow
    | keys. Ctrl Home gets you to the start of the file, Ctrl End brings you
    | to the end. The Insert key toggles between insert mode and overstrike
    | mode, although the /r switch prevents you from modifying the file.
    |
    | In the first window the bar shows the following:
    |
    | F1=Help Line:1 Col:1 Value:77
    |
    | Value = decimal value of ASCII character under the cursor.
    |
    | This is what I see at lines 548-555:
    |
    | - % 1 ,C o p i e s f i l e s a n d d i r e c t o r y
    | t r e e s . % n % n X C O P Y s o u r c e [ d e s t i n a
    | t i o n ] [ / A | / M ] [ / D [ : d a t e ] ] [ / P ]
    | % n s o u r c e S p e c i f i e s t h e f i
    |
    | -- Franc Zabkar
    |
    | Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.

Backup Windows