Windows 9598SE on many computers

Is it legal to install windows 9598 on many differnet computers and use the
same cds?? I am trying to start a used computer business and insted of
install each computer one by one.. if i make restore of somesort with the
windows install cabs would it be legal???

Only if you set up the proper licensing program with MS and pay for each one you install.

Licenses are what counts, not the CDs or whatever used to install. One license per installation.

Plus, you want your customers to have installation media, not just the files on the HD--what if the HD dies? Your customers are suddenly SOL.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Richard Golden" <RichardGolden@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:292358D2-1749-4C15-8BC3-2CACA182B686@microsoft.com...
> Is it legal to install windows 9598 on many differnet computers and use the
> same cds?? I am trying to start a used computer business and insted of
> install each computer one by one.. if i make restore of somesort with the
> windows install cabs would it be legal???

The CD that you use for the installation doesn't really matter. All that's
important is that you have a licence for each machine. But since you will
have to supply a CD with each machine anyway, why not do the install with
the CD you will be supplying? That way, you are also proving that the CD is
good.

However, one installation of Windows copied to multiple PCs with different
hardware configurations is going to create a heap of problems. I wouldn't
even consider it.

And why would you bother? Once you've started setup and answered the initial
questions, the process runs by itself.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Richard Golden" <RichardGolden@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it legal to install windows 9598 on many differnet computers and use
> the
> same cds?? I am trying to start a used computer business and insted of
> install each computer one by one.. if i make restore of somesort with the
> windows install cabs would it be legal???

NO! (As annotated in another group.)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Richard Golden" <RichardGolden@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it legal to install windows 9598 on many differnet computers and use the
> same cds?? I am trying to start a used computer business and insted of
> install each computer one by one.. if i make restore of somesort with the
> windows install cabs would it be legal???

No, its not legal. You need a license for each one installed.
Using cab files for restoration is not smart. If you mean reinstall/dirty
install, may work but not smart for a "push".

Outside of legalities, another consideration is hardware drivers.

Lot of repair places use either a network, or a 9X stripped driver image
restoration, or both, for putting the OS on the PC's hard drive.

The customer may need a restore or original installation CD as part of the
deal w/license.