computer slow

computer purchased 4 1/2 yrs back.
windows 98SE
computer is becoming slow opening various programmes like
OE(6.0),IE(6,0),Opera(8,0) etc
frequent hanging or crashing
I am checking for virus regularly once a week.
defragmenting once a month.

now is it worth discarding the computer and get a new one. Is thre a test to
find the efficiency of the computer.

general advice would be welcome.

R.VENKATARAMAN wrote:
> computer purchased 4 1/2 yrs back.
> windows 98SE
> computer is becoming slow opening various programmes like
> OE(6.0),IE(6,0),Opera(8,0) etc
> frequent hanging or crashing
> I am checking for virus regularly once a week.
> defragmenting once a month.
>
> now is it worth discarding the computer and get a new one. Is thre a test to
> find the efficiency of the computer.
>
> general advice would be welcome.

Hi!
This is a very tough question.
Not so long ago a computer "generation" was considered to be ~18 month
so what is on your table is the 'grandfathers' father' of what is on
market today.
On the other hand it depends what you use it for, on my tables older
than that boxes perform duties suitable for their hardware. (Used as
tools, and running OS's to match).
As a generalisation: A used computer, approx 6 month old, collects
"junk" of every description, which slows down the overall response.
Sometimes a full reinstall of the OS and "merciless" reduction of
additional programms is highly recommended.
(The same collection will choke any machine.)

So before escaping into imaginary "perfect" solution, take a deep breath
and decide what you want the new "toy" to do that the old one cannot
perform. When you have a good idea of this subject drop us a line again.

Have fun.

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla.

Try a Scandisk (Thorough, usually w/o write testing). You should do a
Scandisk before a Defrag, anyway. Perhaps spend some time in Add/Remove
Programs, carefully. Also, if you are using MSOffice's Find Fast, turn
it off. Finally, delete some junk...

(1) Delete the contents of C:\Windows\TEMP. Delete contents only.

Under normal circumstances, C:\WINDOWS\TEMP can be cleared of
files/folders after a fresh boot. You need the fresh boot, because
something may be sitting there, waiting to "complete" an install. You
will likely have seen a message about it, though. Anyway, you should
know whether you've installed something since boot. Now, some files may
return after the delete. "WebPoolFileFile" is one. That will come back
next boot or when you run McAfee.

I have seen one poster who objected, saying one should browse through
those files, looking for .log's. He said it might be interesting to see
whether there is an error message or something inside. It was too late
for me by then.

Naturally, if you have actually installed something into TEMP, there
might be a Registry connection to it. Those, you need to un/re-install
elsewhere. Finally, I even saw a poster who had system files in there,
perhaps it was the Temporary Internet Files in there. That shouldn't be!
Well, to be certain, is C:\Windows\TEMP mentioned in any of these
Registry keys?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\She
ll Folders
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Use
r Shell Folders

(2) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete
all offline content, OK, OK"

These were your Temporary Internet Files, which, since V4, has an
involvement with Windows Update. It's main purpose is to hold
bits/pieces of sites you visit, to make it quicker to load next visit.
Also, it is a work area for OE6. Naturally, TIFs will grow back. It's
size is controllable by the slider & input box under the Settings
button.

(3) Most of the following shall never return again, and were work files,
pre-V4:
(a) "START, Settings, Folder Options, View tab"; bolt "Show all
files" & UNcheck "Hide file extensions...".
(b) Open Explorer to "C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate", and
(c) Delete everything in this folder EXCEPT the V4 folder.
(d) Open the V4 folder, and delete everything in it EXCEPT for the
"iuhist.xml" file.

(4) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q238165
Deleting APPLOG Content
(a) You won't even see it, unless "START, Settings, Folder Options,
View tab" is bolted "Show all files"; may as well uncheck "Hide file
extensions..." too.
(b) "START, Find, Files or Folders, Applog"
(c) Double-click the Applog folder to open it.
(d) On the Edit menu, click Select all.
(e) On the File menu, click Delete, and then click Yes when you are
prompted to confirm the deletion.

APPLOG is used by Defrag to optimize the location of files on your
partition. (Some files in it seem extraordinarily large.) It will be
recreated and the contents will accumulate, as the second time any app
is run it generates an .LGC in that folder. (Optlog.txt, in that folder,
will be recreated, when next you Defrag. Save the old one only to retain
a record of every app that has run, at least twice, to the date of your
last Defrag.)

(5) "START, Find, F/F, fff*". Got any, with a name that is tons long?
Then...

.......Quote.........
You find that you are accumulating a lot of temporary files in your
Windows directory that start with fff and have a .tmp extension, similar
to this:

fff137e3_{3BC6A120-EFC3-11D2-96F7-D0634EC10000}.tmp
fff137e3_{3BC6A121-EFC3-11D2-96F7-D0634EC10000}.tmp

These files are created by a bug in certain versions of MDM.EXE....two
every time it is loaded.
See here:
OFF2000: Files Whose Name Begins with 'fff' Appear in Windows Folder"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221438

OFF: How to Turn Off Machine Debug Manager, Mdm.exe
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321410

MDM is loaded with programs such as Office, and Microsoft Script
Debugger.
The fix is to prevent it from loading, by renaming the file, and
removing its reference in the startup group.

Rename MDM.EXE to MDM.EX_ or MDM.BAD, or something like that.
Look for any reference to MDM.EXE in the Startup folders:
C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
C:\Windows\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
and in the registry run key:
and delete it.

Then delete all those fff___.tmp files.
Note that if you reinstall any of the programs that added MDM.EXE, you
may get it loaded back, and will have to disable it again.

....glen
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
.......End....of quote.......

(6) Also, do you have SpyBot? Then...
"START, Find, F/F, 'Checks*.*, Fixes*.*'" (No quotes; yes comma). If you
have a ton of these, then delete them. Go to the Settings screen of
SpyBot, & turn off both the Checks & Fixes logs.

http://www.pcmag.com/ 's HDValet is configurable & installs with
pre-configured suggestions. It can delete to the Recycle Bin, to a
holding folder of it's own, or to oblivion. By design, it will not
delete empty folders, after the files are gone. Also, it will not delete
files that are "in use". It isn't pre-configured to delete it's own log
& doesn't over-write it. So, occasionally, do go in and trim it.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"R.VENKATARAMAN" <vram26@vsnl$$$.net> wrote in message
| computer purchased 4 1/2 yrs back.
| windows 98SE
| computer is becoming slow opening various programmes like
| OE(6.0),IE(6,0),Opera(8,0) etc
| frequent hanging or crashing
| I am checking for virus regularly once a week.
| defragmenting once a month.
|
| now is it worth discarding the computer and get a new one. Is thre a
test to
| find the efficiency of the computer.
|
| general advice would be welcome.

thanks. this is third world country. we always keep equipment for near life
time, Car,TV,Audiosystem and now computer.

anyhow I shall consider the points you have suggested and take decision.
thanks once again.

"Stanislaw Flatto" <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au> wrote in message

> R.VENKATARAMAN wrote:
> > computer purchased 4 1/2 yrs back.
> > windows 98SE
> > computer is becoming slow opening various programmes like
> > OE(6.0),IE(6,0),Opera(8,0) etc
> > frequent hanging or crashing
> > I am checking for virus regularly once a week.
> > defragmenting once a month.
> >
> > now is it worth discarding the computer and get a new one. Is thre a
test to
> > find the efficiency of the computer.
> >
> > general advice would be welcome.
> >

> Hi!
> This is a very tough question.
> Not so long ago a computer "generation" was considered to be ~18 month
> so what is on your table is the 'grandfathers' father' of what is on
> market today.
> On the other hand it depends what you use it for, on my tables older
> than that boxes perform duties suitable for their hardware. (Used as
> tools, and running OS's to match).
> As a generalisation: A used computer, approx 6 month old, collects
> "junk" of every description, which slows down the overall response.
> Sometimes a full reinstall of the OS and "merciless" reduction of
> additional programms is highly recommended.
> (The same collection will choke any machine.)
>
> So before escaping into imaginary "perfect" solution, take a deep breath
> and decide what you want the new "toy" to do that the old one cannot
> perform. When you have a good idea of this subject drop us a line again.
>
> Have fun.
>
> Stanislaw
> Slack user from Ulladulla.

thank you for the detailed advice.

> [...]
> files that are "in use". It isn't pre-configured to delete it's own log
> & doesn't over-write it. So, occasionally, do go in and trim it.
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "R.VENKATARAMAN" <vram26@vsnl$$$.net> wrote in message
> | computer purchased 4 1/2 yrs back.
> | windows 98SE
> | computer is becoming slow opening various programmes like
> | OE(6.0),IE(6,0),Opera(8,0) etc
> | frequent hanging or crashing
> | I am checking for virus regularly once a week.
> | defragmenting once a month.
> |
> | now is it worth discarding the computer and get a new one. Is thre a

You are welcome.

--
> [...]
| > delete empty folders, after the files are gone. Also, it will not
delete
| > files that are "in use". It isn't pre-configured to delete it's own
log
| > & doesn't over-write it. So, occasionally, do go in and trim it.
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "R.VENKATARAMAN" <vram26@vsnl$$$.net> wrote in message
| > | computer purchased 4 1/2 yrs back.
| > | windows 98SE
| > | computer is becoming slow opening various programmes like
| > | OE(6.0),IE(6,0),Opera(8,0) etc
| > | frequent hanging or crashing
| > | I am checking for virus regularly once a week.
| > |