computer slow

computer purchased 4 1/2 yrs back.
windows 98SE
computer is becoming slow opening various programmes like
OE(6.0),IE(6,0),Opera(8,0) etc
frequent hanging or crashing
I am checking for virus regularly once a week.
defragmenting once a month.

now is it worth discarding the computer and get a new one. Is thre a test to
find the efficiency of the computer.

general advice would be welcome.
5 answers Last reply
More about computer slow

    R.VENKATARAMAN wrote:
    > computer purchased 4 1/2 yrs back.
    > windows 98SE
    > computer is becoming slow opening various programmes like
    > OE(6.0),IE(6,0),Opera(8,0) etc
    > frequent hanging or crashing
    > I am checking for virus regularly once a week.
    > defragmenting once a month.
    >
    > now is it worth discarding the computer and get a new one. Is thre a test to
    > find the efficiency of the computer.
    >
    > general advice would be welcome.

    Hi!
    This is a very tough question.
    Not so long ago a computer "generation" was considered to be ~18 month
    so what is on your table is the 'grandfathers' father' of what is on
    market today.
    On the other hand it depends what you use it for, on my tables older
    than that boxes perform duties suitable for their hardware. (Used as
    tools, and running OS's to match).
    As a generalisation: A used computer, approx 6 month old, collects
    "junk" of every description, which slows down the overall response.
    Sometimes a full reinstall of the OS and "merciless" reduction of
    additional programms is highly recommended.
    (The same collection will choke any machine.)

    So before escaping into imaginary "perfect" solution, take a deep breath
    and decide what you want the new "toy" to do that the old one cannot
    perform. When you have a good idea of this subject drop us a line again.

    Have fun.

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

    Try a Scandisk (Thorough, usually w/o write testing). You should do a
    Scandisk before a Defrag, anyway. Perhaps spend some time in Add/Remove
    Programs, carefully. Also, if you are using MSOffice's Find Fast, turn
    it off. Finally, delete some junk...

    (1) Delete the contents of C:\Windows\TEMP. Delete contents only.

    Under normal circumstances, C:\WINDOWS\TEMP can be cleared of
    files/folders after a fresh boot. You need the fresh boot, because
    something may be sitting there, waiting to "complete" an install. You
    will likely have seen a message about it, though. Anyway, you should
    know whether you've installed something since boot. Now, some files may
    return after the delete. "WebPoolFileFile" is one. That will come back
    next boot or when you run McAfee.

    I have seen one poster who objected, saying one should browse through
    those files, looking for .log's. He said it might be interesting to see
    whether there is an error message or something inside. It was too late
    for me by then.

    Naturally, if you have actually installed something into TEMP, there
    might be a Registry connection to it. Those, you need to un/re-install
    elsewhere. Finally, I even saw a poster who had system files in there,
    perhaps it was the Temporary Internet Files in there. That shouldn't be!
    Well, to be certain, is C:\Windows\TEMP mentioned in any of these
    Registry keys?

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\She
    ll Folders
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Use
    r Shell Folders

    (2) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete
    all offline content, OK, OK"

    These were your Temporary Internet Files, which, since V4, has an
    involvement with Windows Update. It's main purpose is to hold
    bits/pieces of sites you visit, to make it quicker to load next visit.
    Also, it is a work area for OE6. Naturally, TIFs will grow back. It's
    size is controllable by the slider & input box under the Settings
    button.

    (3) Most of the following shall never return again, and were work files,
    pre-V4:
    (a) "START, Settings, Folder Options, View tab"; bolt "Show all
    files" & UNcheck "Hide file extensions...".
    (b) Open Explorer to "C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate", and
    (c) Delete everything in this folder EXCEPT the V4 folder.
    (d) Open the V4 folder, and delete everything in it EXCEPT for the
    "iuhist.xml" file.

    (4) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q238165
    Deleting APPLOG Content
    (a) You won't even see it, unless "START, Settings, Folder Options,
    View tab" is bolted "Show all files"; may as well uncheck "Hide file
    extensions..." too.
    (b) "START, Find, Files or Folders, Applog"
    (c) Double-click the Applog folder to open it.
    (d) On the Edit menu, click Select all.
    (e) On the File menu, click Delete, and then click Yes when you are
    prompted to confirm the deletion.

    APPLOG is used by Defrag to optimize the location of files on your
    partition. (Some files in it seem extraordinarily large.) It will be
    recreated and the contents will accumulate, as the second time any app
    is run it generates an .LGC in that folder. (Optlog.txt, in that folder,
    will be recreated, when next you Defrag. Save the old one only to retain
    a record of every app that has run, at least twice, to the date of your
    last Defrag.)

    (5) "START, Find, F/F, fff*". Got any, with a name that is tons long?
    Then...

    .......Quote.........
    You find that you are accumulating a lot of temporary files in your
    Windows directory that start with fff and have a .tmp extension, similar
    to this:

    fff137e3_{3BC6A120-EFC3-11D2-96F7-D0634EC10000}.tmp
    fff137e3_{3BC6A121-EFC3-11D2-96F7-D0634EC10000}.tmp

    These files are created by a bug in certain versions of MDM.EXE....two
    every time it is loaded.
    See here:
    OFF2000: Files Whose Name Begins with 'fff' Appear in Windows Folder"
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221438

    OFF: How to Turn Off Machine Debug Manager, Mdm.exe
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321410

    MDM is loaded with programs such as Office, and Microsoft Script
    Debugger.
    The fix is to prevent it from loading, by renaming the file, and
    removing its reference in the startup group.

    Rename MDM.EXE to MDM.EX_ or MDM.BAD, or something like that.
    Look for any reference to MDM.EXE in the Startup folders:
    C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
    C:\Windows\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
    and in the registry run key:
    and delete it.

    Then delete all those fff___.tmp files.
    Note that if you reinstall any of the programs that added MDM.EXE, you
    may get it loaded back, and will have to disable it again.

    ....glen
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    .......End....of quote.......

    (6) Also, do you have SpyBot? Then...
    "START, Find, F/F, 'Checks*.*, Fixes*.*'" (No quotes; yes comma). If you
    have a ton of these, then delete them. Go to the Settings screen of
    SpyBot, & turn off both the Checks & Fixes logs.

    http://www.pcmag.com/ 's HDValet is configurable & installs with
    pre-configured suggestions. It can delete to the Recycle Bin, to a
    holding folder of it's own, or to oblivion. By design, it will not
    delete empty folders, after the files are gone. Also, it will not delete
    files that are "in use". It isn't pre-configured to delete it's own log
    & doesn't over-write it. So, occasionally, do go in and trim it.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "R.VENKATARAMAN" <vram26@vsnl$$$.net> wrote in message
    | computer purchased 4 1/2 yrs back.
    | windows 98SE
    | computer is becoming slow opening various programmes like
    | OE(6.0),IE(6,0),Opera(8,0) etc
    | frequent hanging or crashing
    | I am checking for virus regularly once a week.
    | defragmenting once a month.
    |
    | now is it worth discarding the computer and get a new one. Is thre a
    test to
    | find the efficiency of the computer.
    |
    | general advice would be welcome.

    thanks. this is third world country. we always keep equipment for near life
    time, Car,TV,Audiosystem and now computer.

    anyhow I shall consider the points you have suggested and take decision.
    thanks once again.

    "Stanislaw Flatto" <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au> wrote in message

    > R.VENKATARAMAN wrote:
    > > computer purchased 4 1/2 yrs back.
    > > windows 98SE
    > > computer is becoming slow opening various programmes like
    > > OE(6.0),IE(6,0),Opera(8,0) etc
    > > frequent hanging or crashing
    > > I am checking for virus regularly once a week.
    > > defragmenting once a month.
    > >
    > > now is it worth discarding the computer and get a new one. Is thre a
    test to
    > > find the efficiency of the computer.
    > >
    > > general advice would be welcome.
    > >

    > Hi!
    > This is a very tough question.
    > Not so long ago a computer "generation" was considered to be ~18 month
    > so what is on your table is the 'grandfathers' father' of what is on
    > market today.
    > On the other hand it depends what you use it for, on my tables older
    > than that boxes perform duties suitable for their hardware. (Used as
    > tools, and running OS's to match).
    > As a generalisation: A used computer, approx 6 month old, collects
    > "junk" of every description, which slows down the overall response.
    > Sometimes a full reinstall of the OS and "merciless" reduction of
    > additional programms is highly recommended.
    > (The same collection will choke any machine.)
    >
    > So before escaping into imaginary "perfect" solution, take a deep breath
    > and decide what you want the new "toy" to do that the old one cannot
    > perform. When you have a good idea of this subject drop us a line again.
    >
    > Have fun.
    >
    > Stanislaw
    > Slack user from Ulladulla.

    thank you for the detailed advice.

> [...]
    > files that are "in use". It isn't pre-configured to delete it's own log
    > & doesn't over-write it. So, occasionally, do go in and trim it.
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "R.VENKATARAMAN" <vram26@vsnl$$$.net> wrote in message
    > | computer purchased 4 1/2 yrs back.
    > | windows 98SE
    > | computer is becoming slow opening various programmes like
    > | OE(6.0),IE(6,0),Opera(8,0) etc
    > | frequent hanging or crashing
    > | I am checking for virus regularly once a week.
    > | defragmenting once a month.
    > |
    > | now is it worth discarding the computer and get a new one. Is thre a

    You are welcome.

    --
> [...]
    | > delete empty folders, after the files are gone. Also, it will not
    delete
    | > files that are "in use". It isn't pre-configured to delete it's own
    log
    | > & doesn't over-write it. So, occasionally, do go in and trim it.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "R.VENKATARAMAN" <vram26@vsnl$$$.net> wrote in message
    | > | computer purchased 4 1/2 yrs back.
    | > | windows 98SE
    | > | computer is becoming slow opening various programmes like
    | > | OE(6.0),IE(6,0),Opera(8,0) etc
    | > | frequent hanging or crashing
    | > | I am checking for virus regularly once a week.
    | > |
    | > | now is it worth discarding the computer and get a new one. Is thre
    | > test to
    | > | find the efficiency of the computer.
    | > |
    | > | general advice would be welcome.
    | > |
    | > |

Internet Explorer Computers Microsoft Windows