3 Days and SP2 is still installing....Help

My Task Bar on the SP2 installer is advancing one green
bar about every 6 hours and has bee installing for 3 days.
Machine is operational, CPU performance is running at
about 30% doing the install, multikernel and multitasking
is working fine. It looks like at least one more day
before it finishes the Task of "Running Processes after
install."

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about days installing help

    3 days !!!!You still have a connection,try moving mouse around,
    w/o opening or clicking anything,might help.I would close-out restart,
    with cable it takes 20 min.@ under 300 kbs,a phone connection should
    take about 2 hrs or under.You can leave it running as is but after
    you flip the calander page it might not even complete itself.

    "Mike" wrote:

    > My Task Bar on the SP2 installer is advancing one green
    > bar about every 6 hours and has bee installing for 3 days.
    > Machine is operational, CPU performance is running at
    > about 30% doing the install, multikernel and multitasking
    > is working fine. It looks like at least one more day
    > before it finishes the Task of "Running Processes after
    > install."
    >
    > Anybody have any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks

    Three days! Are you on dial-up? If you are, ask Microsoft to send you a free
    SP2 CD. If you are on broadband, something is definitely wrong with your
    setup. With cable broadband, it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes (of
    course the install will take longer).

    "Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My Task Bar on the SP2 installer is advancing one green
    > bar about every 6 hours and has bee installing for 3 days.
    > Machine is operational, CPU performance is running at
    > about 30% doing the install, multikernel and multitasking
    > is working fine. It looks like at least one more day
    > before it finishes the Task of "Running Processes after
    > install."
    >
    > Anybody have any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks

    Plus, as I learned the hard way, but rather easily, it's "smart"
    enough to "resume" when you reconnect to windows update. So,
    whatever's already downloaded won't have to be re-downloaded
    again. Surprised me. That makes three things MS did right on
    this one.
    Keep your eyes open when you do get it downloaded; I'm not
    sure I'd trust it. Meantime, if you're that patient, order the
    CD; it's free, even the S&H is free.

    Pop

    I suspect you should do a THOROUGH adware/spyware/bot scan of
    your system if this happens again. The most likely thing is
    something glitched and just slowed it down to a crawl on you -
    possibly at your ISP since you don't mention your connection
    speed or thruput speeds. Any thruput less than 3k is grounds to
    quit and try again, especially on a 56k connection.

    Mike wrote:

    > My Task Bar on the SP2 installer is advancing one green
    > bar about every 6 hours and has bee installing for 3 days.
    > Machine is operational, CPU performance is running at
    > about 30% doing the install, multikernel and multitasking
    > is working fine. It looks like at least one more day
    > before it finishes the Task of "Running Processes after
    > install."
    >
    > Anybody have any suggestions?

    You may drink green tea... and write a report to the Guinness Book...;-)

Windows XP