Windows 98 SE Help

When I select a subject to display in the Windows help index the text in the
right window does not display any information. The window is completely blank.
How do I fix this problem?

Could be that you don't have Windows Scripting(or something like that). I
think it uses some kind of scripting system.

Every cumulative IE critical Windows Update will take your
Troubleshooters away, for security reasons.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188867
Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems. This article contains a
link to what it says is the equivalent of the Windows Help
Troubleshooters...
http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/tshoot
That's it, but it doesn't always work. So, here is how to get them back
when offline...

NOTE: This first step undoes a security measure put into one/two files
that will not get reinstated by the undo .reg that follows. The .reg's
only disable/enable the kill bit.

(1) "START, Find, F&F, Tshoot.inf"; R-Clk it & select "Install".
You still won't have the Troubleshooters yet.
(2) "START button, Run, RegEdit"
(3) Navigate to...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX
Compatibility\{4B106874-DD36-11D0-8B44-00A024DD9EFF}

Compatibility Flags 0x00000400 (1024) <<Dword value 400

....this way...
(a) Click plus signs, beginning with "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE",
& ending with "ActiveX Compatibility".
(b) Click "{4B106874-DD36-11D0-8B44-00A024DD9EFF}" itself in the left
pane. Now, you see "Compatibility Flags 0x00000400 (1024)" in the
right pane.
(c) Use Regedit's "Registry menu, Export Registry file".

This will create a ".reg" file of the entire Key that is open...
all the items in the right pane & all sub-keys in the left pane (if
there is a plus sign to the one selected). Give it a name & location of
your choosing, even to the Desktop or My Documents. Name that one
"NoTrouble.reg". It will look like...

....Start.....
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX
Compatibility\{4B106874-DD36-11D0-8B44-00A024DD9EFF}]
"Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000400

....End.......

(d) Close RegEdit. You now have an "undo" .reg, named "NoTrouble.reg".
(e) Make a copy of it called "Trouble.reg".
(f) Open "Trouble.reg" in Notepad. Change the "dword" to look as
follows... all zeros...

....Start..of "Trouble.reg"...
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX
Compatibility\{4B106874-DD36-11D0-8B44-00A024DD9EFF}]
"Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000000

....End.......

CAREFUL: That "HKEY" is one line, with TWO spaces only. One between
"Internet Explorer", & the other between "ActiveX Compatibility". Make
sure it looks that way in Notepad, before you click to Save. Also, you
must have an empty line at bottom.

Now, "Trouble.reg" gives you the Troubleshooters. "NoTrouble.reg" will
give you security by taking them away. Remember to undo it, after you
are done looking at the Troubleshooters.

(2) By default, when a ".reg" is clicked, it will Merge into the
Registry. To alter the default behavior: "START, Settings, Folder
Options, File Types tab". Scroll to & click "Registration Entries",
click the "Edit" button, select "edit" in the window & click the "Set
Default" button. Now, when you click a ".reg" file, it will open in
Notepad for examination. To merge it into the Registry, R-Clk it &
select "Merge".

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Cloud Dancer" <CloudDancer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| When I select a subject to display in the Windows help index the text
in the
| right window does not display any information. The window is
completely blank.
| How do I fix this problem?

Windows help troubleshooter wizards are blank after clicking next
http://basconotw.mvps.org/98_help.htm

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/