GIGABYTE K8NS-Ultra memory/video problems

sw96

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2005
Every time I go into a game my computer freezes and the screen goes blank or a static image of whatever game I was in stays on the screen. I get odd noises coming out of my speakers. The fans and all the lights and stuff stay lit up and I have to do a hard reboot. The noises don't seem to indicate a sound card problem, however as I still have the same freezing issue when my sound card is disabled.

I'm running a
Gigabyte K8NS-Ultra mobo
2GB Geil Golden Dragon PC3500
7800 GS AGP
Athlon 64 3500+

If I try to run the memory at 400mhz with any timings (I've tried many) I crash as described above, however if I run the memory at 366 (2/1.83 i think it is) I have no problems. Upping the voltages does not seem to have any effect. Running the memory at 400mhz yeilds no errors in MEMTEST86 and MEMTEST in Windows but I can't play any games without crashes. I also have to underclock my video card from CORE 440 to 400 and MEMORY 1.3 to 1.0ghz otherwise I also experience similar crashing problems in games.

The memory and video card test OK in seperate systems which is why I think the mobo might be to blame.

I have the latest BIOS, chipset, video drivers.
Can anyone offer any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's quite frustrating to have to run my memory and video card underclocked in order to play games.

sw96

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2005
In the bios I changed the HT FREQUENCY from 5 to 4 and the HAMMER FID CONTROL from AUTO to 11 and it seems to have fixed everything