Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Install Order of Windows 98SE Updates?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 7:31:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

These questions may seem stupid - but I have a total of 23 'Critical' and
'Highly Critical' Updates to install on a relatively 'fresh' Windows 98 SE
system.

How do I determine in WHAT order they should be installed?

What's the secret?

Do I just select all of them & let Microsoft determine the order - a SCARY
thought to me!

Or do I First select / install ALL the 'Highly Critical' Updates first,
followed by ALL the 'Critical' Updates?

Are there any Caveats? or some that SHOULDN'T be installed?

Are there KNOWN bugs in some of the updates?

THANKS in advance for any help!
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 11:13:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

abcnets wrote:
> These questions may seem stupid - but I have a total of 23 'Critical'
> and 'Highly Critical' Updates to install on a relatively 'fresh' Windows
> 98 SE system.
>
> How do I determine in WHAT order they should be installed?
>
> What's the secret?
>
> Do I just select all of them & let Microsoft determine the order - a
> SCARY thought to me!
>
> Or do I First select / install ALL the 'Highly Critical' Updates first,
> followed by ALL the 'Critical' Updates?
>
> Are there any Caveats? or some that SHOULDN'T be installed?
>
> Are there KNOWN bugs in some of the updates?
>
> THANKS in advance for any help!

First of all, if you use the CD from MS to install the updates,
recommended, then you don't have to think of any of your questions.

If you install them individually and have the wherewithall, what I've done
after fresh installs of W98 (actually there are about 40 updates between
Windows, IE, OE, Scripts, Java, DirectX, etc.. ) ..but what I've always
done is installed the Windows group first - and then in order of above..
and I did them all in order of their release dates (digital signature) The
thought doing by date was logical for a number of reasons.

If when installing the Windows updates individually most call for reboots
after each one and even though I personally did a dozen at a time just with
those, I would tell someone else to do them one at a time just in case
there was a conflict with what needs to transpire for each during reboot,
where if done with a dozen at a time with all the different tasks taking
place on one reboot - you wouldn't want conflicts, if any.

Rick
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 11:13:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Thanks Rick,

.... for reminding me to install by GROUP Order - I seem to remember that
(:-).
I feel the same way about the reboots as you.

I forgot to mention I DON'T have any MS Update CD - I'm going to update from
the MS Update site - and I DID install SUN's JAVA v1.42 I believe. Can't
remember IF I removed MS's JAVA. I was going to! I 'was' thinking of
installing updates by date - and one at a time, and have been delaying the
inevitable frustration.

It's amazing how little UP-FRONT help MS provides to clear up this issue of
install order. Someone correct me if I'm wrong (it's been a while), but
that sort of info is usually deeply imbedded in the acompanying docs of say a
service pack, etc. - that is NOT visible to the ordinary user until the doc
file is 'extracted' during the actual install / upgrade - which is TOO late -
from what I remember - or until the doc file is first manually 'extracted'.

MS ought to make it simple for users: MS DOES do a scan of our PCs to see
what is already installed & then DOES lists a group of 'required' and/or
'recommended' updates or 'Service Packs', etc. MS should be able to tell us
- UP FRONT - install THIS, then THIS, etc. But NOOOO!, MS would rather have
users PAY for that info - when we ALREADY pay dearly in fru$tration. Anyone
from MS care to 'enlighten' me or provide MS's perspective? Hmmm? From a
PAST CNE / MSCE wannabe!
.... and NOW I RANT! - on MS's own site. lol AM I wrong? Have 'things'
changed?

This is actually my FIRST post Here. (well 2nd, w/ this reply).

I could list ALL 23 required updates but it's probably a moot point.

Anyone else got any good ideas?

Do MS Techs monitor and answer Forum questions?
C'mon MS, what's the BEST way to install YOUR #$%&*@ updates?

"Rick Chauvin" wrote:

> abcnets wrote:
> > These questions may seem stupid - but I have a total of 23 'Critical'
> > and 'Highly Critical' Updates to install on a relatively 'fresh' Windows
> > 98 SE system.
> >
> > How do I determine in WHAT order they should be installed?
> >
> > What's the secret?
> >
> > Do I just select all of them & let Microsoft determine the order - a
> > SCARY thought to me!
> >
> > Or do I First select / install ALL the 'Highly Critical' Updates first,
> > followed by ALL the 'Critical' Updates?
> >
> > Are there any Caveats? or some that SHOULDN'T be installed?
> >
> > Are there KNOWN bugs in some of the updates?
> >
> > THANKS in advance for any help!
>
> First of all, if you use the CD from MS to install the updates,
> recommended, then you don't have to think of any of your questions.
>
> If you install them individually and have the wherewithall, what I've done
> after fresh installs of W98 (actually there are about 40 updates between
> Windows, IE, OE, Scripts, Java, DirectX, etc.. ) ..but what I've always
> done is installed the Windows group first - and then in order of above..
> and I did them all in order of their release dates (digital signature) The
> thought doing by date was logical for a number of reasons.
>
> If when installing the Windows updates individually most call for reboots
> after each one and even though I personally did a dozen at a time just with
> those, I would tell someone else to do them one at a time just in case
> there was a conflict with what needs to transpire for each during reboot,
> where if done with a dozen at a time with all the different tasks taking
> place on one reboot - you wouldn't want conflicts, if any.
>
> Rick
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 1:16:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

abcnets wrote:
> Thanks Rick,
>
> ... for reminding me to install by GROUP Order - I seem to remember that
> (:-).
> I feel the same way about the reboots as you.
>
> I forgot to mention I DON'T have any MS Update CD - I'm going to update
> from the MS Update site - and I DID install SUN's JAVA v1.42 I believe.
> Can't remember IF I removed MS's JAVA. I was going to! I 'was'
> thinking of installing updates by date - and one at a time, and have
> been delaying the inevitable frustration.

I finally did the Sun Java as well, but did the latest version which is
jre-1_5_0_04-windows-i586-p.exe and not the older version you mention of
j2re-1_4_2_08-windows-i586-p.exe. I left the MS v5.00.3810 - msjavwu.exe
still installed because as you know you can switch back and forth between
MS and Sun via the CP applet; but I just leave it on Sun these days but my
Internet Zone is java restricted anyway so only the few trusted zone sites
get Java'd

> It's amazing how little UP-FRONT help MS provides to clear up this issue
> of install order. Someone correct me if I'm wrong (it's been a while),
> but that sort of info is usually deeply imbedded in the acompanying docs
> of say a service pack, etc. - that is NOT visible to the ordinary user
> until the doc file is 'extracted' during the actual install / upgrade -
> which is TOO late - from what I remember - or until the doc file is
> first manually 'extracted'.
>
> MS ought to make it simple for users: MS DOES do a scan of our PCs to see
> what is already installed & then DOES lists a group of 'required' and/or
> 'recommended' updates or 'Service Packs', etc. MS should be able to
> tell us - UP FRONT - install THIS, then THIS, etc. But NOOOO!, MS would
> rather have users PAY for that info - when we ALREADY pay dearly in
> fru$tration. Anyone from MS care to 'enlighten' me or provide MS's
> perspective? Hmmm? From a PAST CNE / MSCE wannabe!
> ... and NOW I RANT! - on MS's own site. lol AM I wrong? Have
> 'things' changed?

whoa whoa, that is not how I feel.
They sent out the CD totally Free to anyone who wanted it months ago. I'm
not sure if you can still get it at this late date, but I've seen one MVP
(Gary) be so kind as to send others his copies even.

Also Windows Update is recommended for most people and it does everything
for you, and one doesn't really have to think about all the things you have
asked about nor should they and it's too complicated for the common folk,
and so for the CD and a free Windows Update is helpfully given and is
really good and should be commended and used.

But for those techs who like to use the WU 'Catalogue Basket' and pick and
choose things themselves (like I do :) ) ..then we should know what to do
and I don't really expect for MS to hand hold me or us to do that really,
so I think your rant may be a little misplaced but you are entitled to your
feelings of course.

> This is actually my FIRST post Here. (well 2nd, w/ this reply).

Welcome to the group.

> I could list ALL 23 required updates but it's probably a moot point.

Yep, and I listed it all once, but as mentioned it's more like 40ish

> Anyone else got any good ideas?
>
> Do MS Techs monitor and answer Forum questions?

Remember All Techs and MVP's here are Volunteers and do so to be kind and
helpful and share - so be very kind to them and thankful for all you
receive here :)  ..and no yelling at anyone <g>

Take care,
Rick



> C'mon MS, what's the BEST way to install YOUR #$%&*@ updates?
>
> "Rick Chauvin" wrote:
>
>> abcnets wrote:
>> > These questions may seem stupid - but I have a total of 23 'Critical'
>> > and 'Highly Critical' Updates to install on a relatively 'fresh'
>> > Windows 98 SE system.
>> >
>> > How do I determine in WHAT order they should be installed?
>> >
>> > What's the secret?
>> >
>> > Do I just select all of them & let Microsoft determine the order - a
>> > SCARY thought to me!
>> >
>> > Or do I First select / install ALL the 'Highly Critical' Updates
>> > first, followed by ALL the 'Critical' Updates?
>> >
>> > Are there any Caveats? or some that SHOULDN'T be installed?
>> >
>> > Are there KNOWN bugs in some of the updates?
>> >
>> > THANKS in advance for any help!
>>
>> First of all, if you use the CD from MS to install the updates,
>> recommended, then you don't have to think of any of your questions.
>>
>> If you install them individually and have the wherewithall, what I've
>> done after fresh installs of W98 (actually there are about 40 updates
>> between Windows, IE, OE, Scripts, Java, DirectX, etc.. ) ..but what
>> I've always done is installed the Windows group first - and then in
>> order of above.. and I did them all in order of their release dates
>> (digital signature) The thought doing by date was logical for a number
>> of reasons.
>>
>> If when installing the Windows updates individually most call for
>> reboots after each one and even though I personally did a dozen at a
>> time just with those, I would tell someone else to do them one at a
>> time just in case there was a conflict with what needs to transpire for
>> each during reboot, where if done with a dozen at a time with all the
>> different tasks taking place on one reboot - you wouldn't want
>> conflicts, if any.
>>
>> Rick
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 1:19:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Assuming you're using Windows Updates, and not the Catalog or some other store
of individual updates, I recommend that you trust MS to install updates in the
proper order. Trust me, you want them all, and you can't make decisions about
the order to install any better than MS can.

Some updates may require being installed alone, not with any other updates.
There's only really two categories (besides hardware drivers updates which you
should *NOT* install, ever.) Critical Updates (or whatever the version of WU
you're using calls them) will be automatically selected after the scan. Just go
immediately to Review and Install and start the process without picking and
choosing. When it's finished, reboot and go right back to WU and do it again.
Repeat until the scan says not more Critical updates are available.

Next, go for the optionals. To start with, ignore the biggies like WMP, DirectX
or .Net Framework. Install any others that apply to your system. Finally,
install DX and Framework, etc. (DX, for instance, must be installed separately
from any other updates.) If you want to be extra careful, you can install these
ones one by one, in no particular order, and then wait a few hours of normal
use, to make sure there's no problems, before installing the next one.

Re: the mention of my sharing the Windows Security Update CD, I am glad to do
so, but I only recommend it if you're on dial-up and have another machine on
high-speed available to D/L and burn the CD ISO. If your system already has
high-bandwidth connection, or no high-bandwidth machine is available, it's
better to just use WU.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User



"abcnets" <abcnets@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:7536390D-F84A-49B5-859F-C9FF02659F2C@microsoft.com...
> These questions may seem stupid - but I have a total of 23 'Critical' and
> 'Highly Critical' Updates to install on a relatively 'fresh' Windows 98 SE
> system.
>
> How do I determine in WHAT order they should be installed?
>
> What's the secret?
>
> Do I just select all of them & let Microsoft determine the order - a SCARY
> thought to me!
>
> Or do I First select / install ALL the 'Highly Critical' Updates first,
> followed by ALL the 'Critical' Updates?
>
> Are there any Caveats? or some that SHOULDN'T be installed?
>
> Are there KNOWN bugs in some of the updates?
>
> THANKS in advance for any help!
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 7:42:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Unless you have been tracking MS updates, then saving them as they became
available, its difficult to find out what order they should be installed.
Although not entirely accurate, I go by the filedate I saved them. Tend to
agree with Gary. Let MS update site do it for you.

There are some hardware oriented updates that the MS update site won't tell
you about, find, or install. USB/Firewire oriented types for instance. The
ide updates as well. At least its been the case for myself. Have them on a
spare hard drive.

Might be out of your league, or the way you normally do things. Here's an
idea. Burn a image of 98SE after you're done with all the updating you
intend to do. Strip the hardware drivers for another image file, use this
if you want it on another PC. This saves a boatload of time.

MS 2K Office has the mdm bug that can be implemented by IE's advanced
settings for script debugging. Normally enabled.

It wouldn't be a bad idea now to burn all those updates, software and
hardware type to CD. Am sure some kind person will eventually publish the
proper critical update installation sequence someday so everyone will know.

"abcnets" <abcnets@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:7536390D-F84A-49B5-859F-C9FF02659F2C@microsoft.com...
> These questions may seem stupid - but I have a total of 23 'Critical' and
> 'Highly Critical' Updates to install on a relatively 'fresh' Windows 98 SE
> system.
>
> How do I determine in WHAT order they should be installed?
>
> What's the secret?
>
> Do I just select all of them & let Microsoft determine the order - a SCARY
> thought to me!
>
> Or do I First select / install ALL the 'Highly Critical' Updates first,
> followed by ALL the 'Critical' Updates?
>
> Are there any Caveats? or some that SHOULDN'T be installed?
>
> Are there KNOWN bugs in some of the updates?
>
> THANKS in advance for any help!
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 7:42:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Geez, Dude!

Nothing like a challenge to wake a guy up!

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
news:eodWmOetFHA.3932@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Am sure some kind person will eventually publish the
> proper critical update installation sequence someday so everyone will know.
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 2:26:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

<heh-heh> Yeah, and then when he's done with that, he can make me a copy too! <g>
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:uCAH$2etFHA.1472@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Geez, Dude!
>
> Nothing like a challenge to wake a guy up!
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
> news:eodWmOetFHA.3932@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > Am sure some kind person will eventually publish the
> > proper critical update installation sequence someday so everyone will know.
>
!