Computer turns off as it's turning on

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
September 10, 2005 12:04:54 PM

This morning I turned on my Dell Dimension computer. It began making
the usual sounds of start-up and I walked away. When I looked over at
the computer a minute or two later, the computer was off. It had turned
off by itself. This had happened a couple of weeks ago but hadn't
happened since. I turned the computer on again, and held down the Ctrl
key so that it went to the startup menu, I chose Command prompt, and
when it went there I inputted "Win" and pressed Enter, and Windows
started normally.

Another thing, when the computer is making its initial starting up
sounds, it sounds sluggish, as though it's struggling.

Now I'm concerned that the computer may really be on its last legs.

Larry

More about : computer turns turning

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 2:09:53 PM

Larry,
This seems related to your problems in your other, long thread here. Have you run a
hard drive diagnostic to see if the drive is physically healthy? I do *not* mean
scandisk, but rather the diagnostics from the hard drive manufacturer's web site.

If you don't know what brand the drive is, you can download the limited-use free
edition of OnTrack Data Advisor from this location:
http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor

When you click the download link on that page for Data Advisor 5.0 Free edition, you
will be taken to a page to register with the OnTrack site, then you will be able to
download the diskette creator file.

The downloads are diskette creators. They are to be run once from a working Windows
system and will guide you through the process of extracting the Data Advisor onto a
3.5" floppy disk.

Download and Use Instructions:
http://www.ontrack.com/dataadvisor/downloadinfo.asp

As far as I know, Maxtor's diagnostics will also work with any brand of drive, and
the older versions of Seagate Seatools also, but I am not sure about the new
version.

Hard Drive Diagnostic Programs by Vendor:

OnTrack Data Advisor:
http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor
IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test:
http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools:
http://support.wdc.com/download/
Quantum/Maxtor PowerMax:
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm
Seagate SeaTools:
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html
Download:
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7a.html
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/seatoold_reg.ht...
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote in message
> This morning I turned on my Dell Dimension computer. It began making
> the usual sounds of start-up and I walked away. When I looked over at
> the computer a minute or two later, the computer was off. It had turned
> off by itself. This had happened a couple of weeks ago but hadn't
> happened since. I turned the computer on again, and held down the Ctrl
> key so that it went to the startup menu, I chose Command prompt, and
> when it went there I inputted "Win" and pressed Enter, and Windows
> started normally.
>
> Another thing, when the computer is making its initial starting up
> sounds, it sounds sluggish, as though it's struggling.
>
> Now I'm concerned that the computer may really be on its last legs.
>
> Larry

September 10, 2005 5:26:57 PM

Glen,

A lot of advice was given to me on the possibility of a hard-drive
problem a few months ago, but there was one glitch after another in
getting the diagnostics to run (I downloaded several of them) and I got
discouraged. At that point the consensus was that I needed to purchase
a new hard drive, which I did. But then the computer seemed to running
fine, and because of the immense job of changing the hard drive, in
laziness I didn't get around to doing it. Now I'll just have to do it.

But here's the good news in what you're saying. If, as you think, this
is a hard drive issue, that means that the computer itself is ok and I
just need to replace the hard drive.

Larry

glee wrote:
> Larry,
> This seems related to your problems in your other, long thread here.
> Have you run a hard drive diagnostic to see if the drive is
> physically healthy? I do *not* mean scandisk, but rather the
> diagnostics from the hard drive manufacturer's web site.
>
> If you don't know what brand the drive is, you can download the
> limited-use free edition of OnTrack Data Advisor from this location:
> http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor
>
> When you click the download link on that page for Data Advisor 5.0
> Free edition, you will be taken to a page to register with the
> OnTrack site, then you will be able to download the diskette creator
> file.
>
> The downloads are diskette creators. They are to be run once from a
> working Windows system and will guide you through the process of
> extracting the Data Advisor onto a
> 3.5" floppy disk.
>
> Download and Use Instructions:
> http://www.ontrack.com/dataadvisor/downloadinfo.asp
>
> As far as I know, Maxtor's diagnostics will also work with any brand
> of drive, and the older versions of Seagate Seatools also, but I am
> not sure about the new version.
>
> Hard Drive Diagnostic Programs by Vendor:
>
> OnTrack Data Advisor:
> http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor
> IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test:
> http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
> Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools:
> http://support.wdc.com/download/
> Quantum/Maxtor PowerMax:
> http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm
> Seagate SeaTools:
> http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html
> Download:
> http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7a.html
> http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/seatoold_reg.ht...
>
> "Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote in message
> > This morning I turned on my Dell Dimension computer. It began
> > making the usual sounds of start-up and I walked away. When I
> > looked over at the computer a minute or two later, the computer was
> > off. It had turned off by itself. This had happened a couple of
> > weeks ago but hadn't happened since. I turned the computer on
> > again, and held down the Ctrl key so that it went to the startup
> > menu, I chose Command prompt, and when it went there I inputted
> > "Win" and pressed Enter, and Windows started normally.
> >
> > Another thing, when the computer is making its initial starting up
> > sounds, it sounds sluggish, as though it's struggling.
> >
> > Now I'm concerned that the computer may really be on its last legs.
> >
> > Larry
September 10, 2005 5:38:15 PM

Well, without seeing what the diags say, I can't say for sure. Why don't you try
the diags again, very carefully following the instructions given at the link I
supplied, and tell us exactly where the problems arise.

> [...]
> > http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7a.html
> > http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/seatoold_reg.ht...
> >
> > "Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote in message
> > > This morning I turned on my Dell Dimension computer. It began
> > > making the usual sounds of start-up and I walked away. When I
> > > looked over at the computer a minute or two later, the computer was
> > > off. It had turned off by itself. This had happened a couple of
> > > weeks ago but hadn't happened since. I turned the computer on
> > > again, and held down the Ctrl key so that it went to the startup
> > > menu, I chose Command prompt, and when it went there I inputted
> > > "Win" and pressed Enter, and Windows started normally.
> > >
> > > Another thing, when the computer is making its initial starting up
> > > sounds, it sounds sluggish, as though it's struggling.
> > >
> > > Now I'm concerned that the computer may really be on its last legs.

Anonymous
September 11, 2005 7:10:46 AM

You need to run a diagnostic from a boot floppy or boot CD. If there's
nothing unusual about your PC's hard drive connection to the motherboard,
there should be no problems running such a diagnostic. The diagnostic
should be from the maker of the hard drive, not another.

Its not unusual for PCs as they get old to respond well to cleaning,
reconnection of cables, and reseating RAM.

> [...]
> > http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7a.html
> > http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/seatoold_reg.ht...
> >
> > "Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote in message
> > > This morning I turned on my Dell Dimension computer. It began
> > > making the usual sounds of start-up and I walked away. When I
> > > looked over at the computer a minute or two later, the computer was
> > > off. It had turned off by itself. This had happened a couple of
> > > weeks ago but hadn't happened since. I turned the computer on
> > > again, and held down the Ctrl key so that it went to the startup
> > > menu, I chose Command prompt, and when it went there I inputted
> > > "Win" and pressed Enter, and Windows started normally.
> > >
> > > Another thing, when the computer is making its initial starting up
> > > sounds, it sounds sluggish, as though it's struggling.
> > >
> > > Now I'm concerned that the computer may really be on its last legs.

Anonymous
September 11, 2005 1:23:06 PM

"Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote in message news:%23opiKvitFHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

> A lot of advice was given to me on the possibility of a hard-drive
> problem a few months ago, but there was one glitch after another in
> getting the diagnostics to run (I downloaded several of them) and I got
> discouraged. At that point the consensus was that I needed to purchase
> a new hard drive, which I did.

Another possible cause of a sudden shutdown is a flakey or
possibly insufficient PSU (Power Supply Unit).
!