Overclockers Anonymous

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
For the past few weeks I have been enjoying the slow Bios tweaks of bus speeds memory dividers Vcore and memory voltages,
Incrementally raising the overall usable clock speed of this D core stock processor,
I find my ultimate goal of 4ghz on the horizon.
Then it happens!
Staring blankly at the screen full of sensors, Prime 95, CPUZ and the task manager.
I realized
I didn’t know why.
I think I may do it again.
Why do you overclock :?:

x86_64

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
I think why we overclock (or do anything) goes beyond just wanting faster computers, but rather because the basic human desire is to have the best of the best.

Overclocking can give you the best of the best, take a 3GHz CPU all the way to 5GHz and beyond, and you get a sense of self accomplishment, just as if you tried your shoes.

You probably won't ever stop, even if you hit 100000GHz, you'll think "what if I went just 1 more MHz?".

It's an unhealthy, yet appetizing, addiction.

-x86_64

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Just to see how far my rig can go before it starts smoking. Personally I do it just for the hell of it and not just to get more performance, for the mean time. I've pushed my 840 from 3.2Ghz to 4Ghz at a sizzling 1.5v idling at 40c on water cooling. I did the same with my 7800GTX 256s and clocked them both at 510/1500. But I did not get any noticeable increase in online gaming but got some 5-10fps on FEAR. That's all I did for the test and now I got my settings back to stock as my cpu is back to 3.2Ghz @ 1.15v idling 34c and the same as for both of my 7800GTX. The things I don't like about pc is heat and noise and that is why I choose to buy the top end cpu rather than overclocking one to the limits.

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
i did it becuase it saved me alot of Money

mine went from 2.0 to 2.4ghz , soo its like i have an AMD 3800+

:D

i might go higher idk

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I oc in order to save money, AND because its fun. Sure, the hours upon hours of testing is tedious, but after seeing your pc survive a 12-hour long Prime95 torture test, it is rather satisfying. Then going over to 3DMark2006 to see how the extra overclock has helped game performance. The same applies to graphics card OCing...

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I think it's man's natural drive for improvement. Why does a guy work out

in the gym for hours on end to get a "big" benchpress. Why do guys put

headers, camshaft, nitrous or turbo on a car. Why do we all try to get a

bigger house, than we "really" need. It just seems to be an animal instinct

for more, bigger, faster is better. I think it's pretty safe to assume that 99%

of the overclockers in forums, and just at home...are probably men.

It also gives us something to "brag" about or compare, and just to share

our knowledge about...even almost a bonding between fellow O/Cer's.

All i know is that it's gone from a black art that was for the overacheiver

types, to pretty much mainstream now, and as long as we enjoy it, and

don't lose our house/families because of it....i say "What The Hell"

go for it! Beats sitting in front of the TV. :D :D

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
For the past few weeks I have been enjoying the slow Bios tweaks of bus speeds memory dividers Vcore and memory voltages,
Incrementally raising the overall usable clock speed of this D core stock processor,
I find my ultimate goal of 4ghz on the horizon.
Then it happens!
Staring blankly at the screen full of sensors, Prime 95, CPUZ and the task manager.
I realized
I didn’t know why.
I think I may do it again.
Why do you overclock :?:

I OC mainly for fun and to know the limits of my hardware.
I also OC to get better 3DMark and PCMark results (and position in ranking) also with other friends.
I like to cheat myself with the argument that OC saves money... good (and safe) OC usually requires better hw (like low latency RAM). And that does _not_ saves money! (anyway you can try to OC any HW but that's not my point here).

I finished my OC exploration in my current hw. Now i'm planning to sell it, buy a better one and start all over again! :p

vulefu

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
That is f***** strange feeling, i think it has something with adrenaline.

Fear and happines at the same time pumping through your body.

TRENDING THREADS