unable to delete history in search bar

Elizabeth

I went into internet options, changed days to keep to zero, hit clear
history, deleted cookies & temp internet files but history in drop down in
search bar is still there. Please advise. thanks

The dropdown you speak of isn't History, though, in fact, I'm not clear as to
what you're speaking of when you say "dropdown in search bar." Are you talking
about the Address bar? Or some other?

Regardless, see if this one does what you want:
Start>Settings>Taskbar and Start Menu.
There, you will find a button to Clear... (...Something, I forget how it's
worded.)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Elizabeth" <Elizabeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I went into internet options, changed days to keep to zero, hit clear
> history, deleted cookies & temp internet files but history in drop down in
> search bar is still there. Please advise. thanks

Elizabeth

sorry, address bar is what I meant. Anyway tried your suggestion but that
hasn't helped either. Any other suggestions? thanks

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> The dropdown you speak of isn't History, though, in fact, I'm not clear as to
> what you're speaking of when you say "dropdown in search bar." Are you talking
> about the Address bar? Or some other?
>
> Regardless, see if this one does what you want:
> Start>Settings>Taskbar and Start Menu.
> There, you will find a button to Clear... (...Something, I forget how it's
> worded.)
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "Elizabeth" <Elizabeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I went into internet options, changed days to keep to zero, hit clear
> > history, deleted cookies & temp internet files but history in drop down in
> > search bar is still there. Please advise. thanks

OK, I've tested, and clearing History in Internet Options *should* clear any
internet addresses from that bar. Other local addresses may remain, but internet
addresses should be deleted. You're still seeing internet addresses in that
dropdown immediately after clearing History? Addresses that start with
"http://"?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User
a"Elizabeth" <Elizabeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> sorry, address bar is what I meant. Anyway tried your suggestion but that
> hasn't helped either. Any other suggestions? thanks
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
>> The dropdown you speak of isn't History, though, in fact, I'm not clear as to
>> what you're speaking of when you say "dropdown in search bar." Are you
>> talking
>> about the Address bar? Or some other?
>>
>> Regardless, see if this one does what you want:
>> Start>Settings>Taskbar and Start Menu.
>> There, you will find a button to Clear... (...Something, I forget how it's
>> worded.)
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>
>> "Elizabeth" <Elizabeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I went into internet options, changed days to keep to zero, hit clear
>> > history, deleted cookies & temp internet files but history in drop down in
>> > search bar is still there. Please advise. thanks

What search bar?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Elizabeth" <Elizabeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I went into internet options, changed days to keep to zero, hit clear
> history, deleted cookies & temp internet files but history in drop down in
> search bar is still there. Please advise. thanks

"Elizabeth" <Elizabeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I went into internet options, changed days to keep to zero, hit clear
> history, deleted cookies & temp internet files but history in drop down in
> search bar is still there. Please advise. thanks

Close all instances of Internet Explorer, then reopen one.

Is it gone now?.

If you wish you can remove them from within the registry. I Do Not recommend
this if you are not familiar with working in the registry.
Click Start > Run, type in : regedit and press Enter.
Navigate to the key:
Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\TypedURLS

The entries in the right pane will be numbered, if you remove any from within
the sequence the you must resequence them, otherwise any after the last one in
sequence will not show in IE. Example: entries are #’d 1 thru 10 and you remove
4, any after 3 will not show until you resequence them 1 thru 9. You started
with url1,url2,url3,url4,url5,url6,url7,url8,url9,url10, you remove 4 and you
now have url1,url2,url3,url5,url6,url7,url8,url9,url10, you must have them in
sequence without a break in numbers to see them all in the IE dropdown list.

To get them renumbered, right click, select rename for each one you need to
put back in the order.

Now if you want an easier way, you can download/install/use a free app named
EditURL. It will allow you to selectively delete entries you do not want,
delete the entire list, save a master list, restore the master list, reorder the
list and a few others IIRC. I have used it for some time now and it serves the
purpose quite well.
http://aandrc.com/editurls/

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Elizabeth" <Elizabeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I went into internet options, changed days to keep to zero, hit clear
> history, deleted cookies & temp internet files but history in drop down in
> search bar is still there. Please advise. thanks

Elizabeth

Hi Gary. I don't see http but every page I've viewed is in drop down. Another
issue I have is.. I've disabled auto complete but that is still working.

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> OK, I've tested, and clearing History in Internet Options *should* clear any
> internet addresses from that bar. Other local addresses may remain, but internet
> addresses should be deleted. You're still seeing internet addresses in that
> dropdown immediately after clearing History? Addresses that start with
> "http://"?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
> a"Elizabeth" <Elizabeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > sorry, address bar is what I meant. Anyway tried your suggestion but that
> > hasn't helped either. Any other suggestions? thanks
> >
> > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
> >
> >> The dropdown you speak of isn't History, though, in fact, I'm not clear as to
> >> what you're speaking of when you say "dropdown in search bar." Are you
> >> talking
> >> about the Address bar? Or some other?
> >>
> >> Regardless, see if this one does what you want:
> >> Start>Settings>Taskbar and Start Menu.
> >> There, you will find a button to Clear... (...Something, I forget how it's
> >> worded.)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gary S. Terhune
> >> MS-MVP Shell/User
> >>
> >> "Elizabeth" <Elizabeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Elizabeth

Yes it's still there

"Hugh Candlin" wrote:

> "Elizabeth" <Elizabeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I went into internet options, changed days to keep to zero, hit clear
> > history, deleted cookies & temp internet files but history in drop down in
> > search bar is still there. Please advise. thanks
>
> Close all instances of Internet Explorer, then reopen one.
>
> Is it gone now?.

Elizabeth,

Unless you'd rather I not see anything that's in your address bar (just me, not
the rest of the world) I'd like to see a screen shot of what you're looking at.
Here's how:

Open IE and Maximize the screen. Click on the drop-down you're speaking of, then
press your PrintScreen key (probably abbreviated PrtScn or similar). Next, open
your Paint program (Start>Run>MSPAINT<enter>) and press Ctrl-V to Paste in the
screen shot. Save it as a bitmap. If you have other image editing apps, you
might want to convert to JPEG--makes no real difference to me. Then send that
image as an attachment to my email addy:
grystnews@mvps.org

When you say you've disabled autocomplete (in Internet Options) where are you
seeing it continue to function? Where you fill in forms on internet pages, or
are you still talking about Web Addresses in the Address Bar?

--

> Hi Gary. I don't see http but every page I've viewed is in drop down. Another
> issue I have is.. I've disabled auto complete but that is still working.
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
>> OK, I've tested, and clearing History in Internet Options *should* clear any
>> internet addresses from that bar. Other local addresses may remain, but
>> internet
>> addresses should be deleted. You're still seeing internet addresses in that
>> dropdown immediately after clearing History? Addresses that start with
>> "http://"?
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>> a"Elizabeth" <Elizabeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > sorry, address bar is what I meant. Anyway tried your suggestion but that
>> > hasn't helped either. Any other suggestions? thanks

Elizabeth

Hello again. I sent the screen print to your email address. thanks

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Elizabeth,
>
> Unless you'd rather I not see anything that's in your address bar (just me, not
> the rest of the world) I'd like to see a screen shot of what you're looking at.
> Here's how:
>
> Open IE and Maximize the screen. Click on the drop-down you're speaking of, then
> press your PrintScreen key (probably abbreviated PrtScn or similar). Next, open
> your Paint program (Start>Run>MSPAINT<enter>) and press Ctrl-V to Paste in the
> screen shot. Save it as a bitmap. If you have other image editing apps, you
> might want to convert to JPEG--makes no real difference to me. Then send that
> image as an attachment to my email addy:
> grystnews@mvps.org
>
> When you say you've disabled autocomplete (in Internet Options) where are you
> seeing it continue to function? Where you fill in forms on internet pages, or
> are you still talking about Web Addresses in the Address Bar?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "Elizabeth" <Elizabeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Gary. I don't see http but every page I've viewed is in drop down. Another
> > issue I have is.. I've disabled auto complete but that is still working.
> >
> > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
> >
> >> OK, I've tested, and clearing History in Internet Options *should* clear any
> >> internet addresses from that bar. Other local addresses may remain, but
> >> internet
> >> addresses should be deleted. You're still seeing internet addresses in that
> >> dropdown immediately after clearing History? Addresses that start with
> >> "http://"?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gary S. Terhune
> >> MS-MVP Shell/User
> >> a"Elizabeth" <Elizabeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Elizabeth

Hi Brian. Although your suggestion seems a bit complicated I will try to
follow your instructions but only as a last resort. Thanks for responding :)
Elizabeth

"Brian A." wrote:

> If you wish you can remove them from within the registry. I Do Not recommend
> this if you are not familiar with working in the registry.
> Click Start > Run, type in : regedit and press Enter.
> Navigate to the key:
> Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\TypedURLS
>
> The entries in the right pane will be numbered, if you remove any from within
> the sequence the you must resequence them, otherwise any after the last one in
> sequence will not show in IE. Example: entries are #’d 1 thru 10 and you remove
> 4, any after 3 will not show until you resequence them 1 thru 9. You started
> with url1,url2,url3,url4,url5,url6,url7,url8,url9,url10, you remove 4 and you
> now have url1,url2,url3,url5,url6,url7,url8,url9,url10, you must have them in
> sequence without a break in numbers to see them all in the IE dropdown list.
>
> To get them renumbered, right click, select rename for each one you need to
> put back in the order.
>
> Now if you want an easier way, you can download/install/use a free app named
> EditURL. It will allow you to selectively delete entries you do not want,
> delete the entire list, save a master list, restore the master list, reorder the
> list and a few others IIRC. I have used it for some time now and it serves the
> purpose quite well.
> http://aandrc.com/editurls/
>

> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>
> Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Elizabeth" <Elizabeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I went into internet options, changed days to keep to zero, hit clear
> > history, deleted cookies & temp internet files but history in drop down in
> > search bar is still there. Please advise. thanks

I responded via email, but here's the answer again, with some additions:

You aren't really running IE. You're running AOL browser. Unless someone here is
familiar with AOL browser, you're going to have to go to AOL for your answers.
Either that or uninstall AOL and pray that you get a real IE back in one piece.
You can help those prayers by reinstalling IE 6 SP1 from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=0&p=2&SrcDisplayLang=en&SrcCategoryId=&SrcFamilyId=&u=%2fdownloads%2fdetails.aspx%3fFamilyID%3d1e1550cb-5e5d-48f5-b02b-20b602228de6%26displaylang%3den

(if that link doesn't work, use this one:
http://tinyurl.com/3drq)

Install IE 6 *AFTER* uninstalling AOL. You might even want to find out what
assistance AOL support might provide for making sure your uninstall is complete.

--

> Hello again. I sent the screen print to your email address. thanks
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
>> Elizabeth,
>>
>> Unless you'd rather I not see anything that's in your address bar (just me,
>> not
>> the rest of the world) I'd like to see a screen shot of what you're looking
>> at.
>> Here's how:
>>
>> Open IE and Maximize the screen. Click on the drop-down you're speaking of,
>> then
>> press your PrintScreen key (probably abbreviated PrtScn or similar). Next,
>> open
>> your Paint program (Start>Run>MSPAINT<enter>) and press Ctrl-V to Paste in
>> the
>> screen shot. Save it as a bitmap. If you have other image editing apps, you
>> might want to convert to JPEG--makes no real difference to me. Then send that
>> image as an attachment to my email addy:
>> grystnews@mvps.org
>>
>> When you say you've disabled autocomplete (in Internet Options) where are you
>> seeing it continue to function? Where you fill in forms on internet pages, or
>> are you still talking about Web Addresses in the Address Bar?
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>
>> "Elizabeth" <Elizabeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Gary. I don't see http but every page I've viewed is in drop down.
>> > Another
>> > issue I have is.. I've disabled auto complete but that is still working.

I wouldn't do that, not with AOL being your browser.

--

> Hi Brian. Although your suggestion seems a bit complicated I will try to
> follow your instructions but only as a last resort. Thanks for responding :)
> Elizabeth
>

> "Brian A." wrote:
>
>> If you wish you can remove them from within the registry. I Do Not
>> recommend
>> this if you are not familiar with working in the registry.
>> Click Start > Run, type in : regedit and press Enter.
>> Navigate to the key:
>> Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\TypedURLS
>>
>> The entries in the right pane will be numbered, if you remove any from
>> within
>> the sequence the you must resequence them, otherwise any after the last one
>> in
>> sequence will not show in IE. Example: entries are #’d 1 thru 10 and you
>> remove
>> 4, any after 3 will not show until you resequence them 1 thru 9. You started
>> with url1,url2,url3,url4,url5,url6,url7,url8,url9,url10, you remove 4 and you
>> now have url1,url2,url3,url5,url6,url7,url8,url9,url10, you must have them in
>> sequence without a break in numbers to see them all in the IE dropdown list.
>>
>> To get them renumbered, right click, select rename for each one you need to
>> put back in the order.
>>
>> Now if you want an easier way, you can download/install/use a free app
>> named
>> EditURL. It will allow you to selectively delete entries you do not want,
>> delete the entire list, save a master list, restore the master list, reorder
>> the
>> list and a few others IIRC. I have used it for some time now and it serves
>> the
>> purpose quite well.
>> http://aandrc.com/editurls/
>>

>> --
>>
>> Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>>
>> Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>>

>> "Elizabeth" <Elizabeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I went into internet options, changed days to keep to zero, hit clear
>> > history, deleted cookies & temp internet files but history in drop down in
>> > search bar is still there. Please advise. thanks

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

> Yes it's still there

Try this:

1. Select "Settings" from the set of buttons at the top of the AOL window.

2. Select "Preferences."

3. Select "Toolbar and sounds."

4. Select "Clear history trail now."

> "Hugh Candlin" wrote:
>

> > "Elizabeth" <Elizabeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I went into internet options, changed days to keep to zero, hit clear
> > > history, deleted cookies & temp internet files but history in drop
down in
> > > search bar is still there. Please advise. thanks
> >
> > Close all instances of Internet Explorer, then reopen one.
> >
> > Is it gone now?.

I agree with Gary, don't do anything in the registry. Notice the instructions
were for Internet Explorer, not AOL.