Recycle bin

XP/98SE via 3rd party boot manager. After logged in XP, then later, booting
to 98SE; find that the recycle bin is invalid per Windows Explorer, or 3rd
party tools. Have 7 other partitions visible to both XP and 98SE. Though
not a real problem, it is a nuisance, and a bit time consuming as it prompts
to delete contents on each and every recycle bin of each partition. (The
reverse is not true in XP, no recycle bin problems noted, not yet anyway).
Any clues?

Sometimes, not always, XP forwards the clock one hour without a prompt, but
I'll go to an XP newsgroup for that.

"Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message news:eTSVSPttFHA.3500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> XP/98SE via 3rd party boot manager. After logged in XP, then later, booting
> to 98SE; find that the recycle bin is invalid per Windows Explorer, or 3rd
> party tools. Have 7 other partitions visible to both XP and 98SE. Though
> not a real problem, it is a nuisance, and a bit time consuming as it prompts
> to delete contents on each and every recycle bin of each partition. (The
> reverse is not true in XP, no recycle bin problems noted, not yet anyway).
> Any clues?

No clues. I have problems with a shared 98/XP bin also, (when in 9x), and
so only access the bin from XP.

"Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
> "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
> > XP/98SE via 3rd party boot manager. After logged in XP, then later,
booting
> > to 98SE; find that the recycle bin is invalid per Windows Explorer, or
3rd
> > party tools. Have 7 other partitions visible to both XP and 98SE.
Though
> > not a real problem, it is a nuisance, and a bit time consuming as it
prompts
> > to delete contents on each and every recycle bin of each partition.
(The
> > reverse is not true in XP, no recycle bin problems noted, not yet
anyway).
> > Any clues?
>
> No clues. I have problems with a shared 98/XP bin also, (when in 9x), and
> so only access the bin from XP.

My gut says its the desktop.ini associated with the recycle bin in 98SE.
Maybe kill the recycle bin entirely in 98SE, and let XP handle it?

> "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
>> "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
>> > XP/98SE via 3rd party boot manager. After logged in XP, then
>> > later,
> booting
>> > to 98SE; find that the recycle bin is invalid per Windows Explorer,
>> > or
> 3rd
>> > party tools. Have 7 other partitions visible to both XP and 98SE.
> Though
>> > not a real problem, it is a nuisance, and a bit time consuming as
>> > it
> prompts
>> > to delete contents on each and every recycle bin of each partition.
> (The
>> > reverse is not true in XP, no recycle bin problems noted, not yet
> anyway).
>> > Any clues?
>>
>> No clues. I have problems with a shared 98/XP bin also, (when in 9x),
>> and so only access the bin from XP.
>>

> My gut says its the desktop.ini associated with the recycle bin in
> 98SE. Maybe kill the recycle bin entirely in 98SE, and let XP handle
> it?

Do you mean XP changes desktop.ini to a for W98 unusable way? In that case
you could solve your problem by backing up the W98 way, and copy them back
in autoexec.bat

"Ingeborg" <a@b.invalid> wrote in message news:Xns96CFA98F2E60Fabinvalid@216.168.3.44...
> "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in
>> "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
>>> "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message

>>> No clues. I have problems with a shared 98/XP bin also, (when in 9x),
>>> and so only access the bin from XP.
>>>

>> My gut says its the desktop.ini associated with the recycle bin in
>> 98SE. Maybe kill the recycle bin entirely in 98SE, and let XP handle
>> it?

> Do you mean XP changes desktop.ini to a for W98 unusable way? In that case
> you could solve your problem by backing up the W98 way, and copy them back
> in autoexec.bat

Don't know, but it might be the info2 (?) file, which would not
be able to be backed up, since it contains the info necessary to
restore, and is modified every time a file is sent to the bin or
restored.