Computer suddenly wont detect dial tone

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
September 11, 2005 3:34:20 PM

I am having a severe problem with my modem being able to recognize a
dial tone
I have been trying to fix this for >10 hours and at this point am
really frustrated...
Here is the story -
Last weekend, the modem got unplugged. This should be no big deal since
we live in an
area that looses power frequently....
We tried to connect to the internet before realizing the modem was
unplugged, and recieved
an error. The modem was plugged back in, and it said "there is no dial
tone detected,
please check to make sure that the modem is connected correctly"

>From there I have tried everything I can think of

* uninstalled the modem, and reinstalled it with the original drivers
* Checked to make sure that the phone line was connected correctly
I am able to connect through the same phone line with a laptop
computer running windows xp with an internal modem.
* Unchecked the wait for dial tone box
* Forced dialed with the AT X0 command. I have also used the init
settings
of xxx, x3, ,,,, and several others. I can get the computer to dial
without detecting a dial tone first, but it wont connect even when
dialing
* Ensured that I have no port errors
* Tried both com1 and com2 mutliple times
* Uninstalled and reinstalled DUN
* tried a different modem
* Used hyperterm to try to dial - same problem, no dialtone. I can
force dial,
but get no connect
* tried both jacks on the back of both modems
* checked to make sure that my cables are in good working condition,
and replaced them
* reinstalled the winsock.dll files
* chekced to make sure there where no communication programs running
* no port conflicts
* verified my TCP/IP settings
* I have client for mircrosoft networks, microsoft family logon, dial
up adapter,
and TCP/IP in the network configuration

It is a windows 98 computer, with an external modem. The two modems I
have tried are
US robotics 36.6 and a CNet v.90 56k externally connected through a
serial cable.

In the modems control panel, I am able to run the diagnostics on the us
robotics modem
and get no errors, eith the CNet modem, it tries to run the
diagnositcs, and states that
there is no dial tone. I can see that the computer is communicating
with the modem, as
the lights turn on, and blink.

I always get the error, "there is no dialtone or your modem is not
connected correctly"

I had this same problem last august, and spent many days trying to
correct it. I remember
that once I got it working it was a computer problem, and not a modem
problem.
I don't remember for the life of me what I did to get it working,
(teaches me not to
write these things down!) At that point I thought that it was a broken
modem, purchased
a new one, and had trouble with the new one. Once I got it working, I
remember thinking,
that it wasn't a broken modem, that the old one would still work, and
maybe I should return
the new one....

For the life of me I can't figure this out...

Please help if you can

Julia
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 10:29:18 PM

try the modem's country settings if it has them, it may be trying to detect
the wrong type of dial tone

--

Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

_
<jcfox1992@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> the lights turn on, and blink.
>
> I always get the error, "there is no dialtone or your modem is not
> connected correctly"
>
> I had this same problem last august, and spent many days trying to
> correct it. I remember
> that once I got it working it was a computer problem, and not a modem
> problem.
> I don't remember for the life of me what I did to get it working,
> (teaches me not to
> write these things down!) At that point I thought that it was a broken
> modem, purchased
> a new one, and had trouble with the new one. Once I got it working, I
> remember thinking,
> that it wasn't a broken modem, that the old one would still work, and
> maybe I should return
> the new one....
>
> For the life of me I can't figure this out...

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 11:10:25 AM

On 11 Sep 2005 11:34:20 -0700, jcfox1992@yahoo.com put finger to
keyboard and composed:

>I am having a severe problem with my modem being able to recognize a
>dial tone

>* Used hyperterm to try to dial - same problem, no dialtone. I can
>force dial,
> but get no connect
>* tried both jacks on the back of both modems

You should be using the LINE socket.

>It is a windows 98 computer, with an external modem. The two modems I
>have tried are
>US robotics 36.6 and a CNet v.90 56k externally connected through a
>serial cable.

>I had this same problem last august, and spent many days trying to
>correct it. I remember
>that once I got it working it was a computer problem, and not a modem
>problem.

In HyperTerminal send the following command sequence:

AT E1 L3 M2 H1

This will set the modem's speaker to maximum volume and take the line
off-hook. You should hear a dialtone. Then send ATH to hang up the
modem.

You can also do the same thing from the DOS prompt, ie

echo AT L3 M2 H1 > COMn where n = 1,2,3,4

To hang up type

echo ATH > COMn

If you have access to a multimeter, measure the voltage at the wall
socket. The on-hook voltage will typically be of the order of 52V DC.
The off-hook voltage should drop to around 10V - 20V.

-- Franc Zabkar

September 12, 2005 8:22:51 PM

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:29:18 -0300, "AlmostBob"
<anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> put finger to keyboard and
composed:

>try the modem's country settings if it has them, it may be trying to detect
>the wrong type of dial tone

If that were the case, then the modem should have connected after it
was told to ignore the dialtone using the Xn commands.

-- Franc Zabkar