system restore

how do i restore my computer
5 answers Last reply
More about system restore

    From: "021100" <021100@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | how do i restore my computer

    There is no System Restore function in Win98 as there is in WinME and WinXP.

    You have to describe, in detail, what problems you are having to deal directlly with it.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:54:01 -0700, 021100
    <021100@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >how do i restore my computer

    As Dave said there is no system restore function built into Win 98.

    If you got an OEM restore disk with the computer you can use that.
    It will format the drive and restore the system to where it was when
    new.

    Or, you can format the drive then install windows from the Win98 CD.
    That will give you a fresh Windows install.

    In either case you will lose your data and will need to re-install
    your programs. You can backup your data ahead of time though and
    then copy it back after the install.

    Any programs included with a restore CD will not need to be
    re-installed.

    Regards,

    Bill Watt
    Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

    "021100" wrote:

    > how do i restore my computer

    I read the comments below and he is assuming that you probably never saved
    your registry in "CONFIGSAFE". This is available in WIN98, it is a manual
    feature as compared to XP etc. Have you ever backed up your "registry"
    through this feature or any other software such as SYSTEM MECHANIC? If you
    have never backed up your registry and most likely within the last 6months,
    the other comment will unfortunatly be correct. Maybe your specific problem
    can be manually fixed in the registry, but unless you know what you are
    doing, I would strongly recommend not messing around in there, but what ever
    you do, you should definitly back your registry up anyhow as you have
    everything to gain any nothing to lose by doing this. I back mine up monthly
    or anytime I make any significant changes and it has paid me dividends many
    times over.

    Beg pardon, but Windows 98 does include an automatic registry backup tool
    unless you disable it.

    From: "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com>

    | Beg pardon, but Windows 98 does include an automatic registry backup tool
    | unless you disable it.
    |
    | --
    | Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
    | * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
    | * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
    | * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
    | * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    SCANREGW.EXE for Win32

    SCANREG.EXE for DOS.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Computers Microsoft System Restore Windows