Abusive postings apparently from Birkbeck College

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
September 12, 2005 4:02:00 PM

We have recently received a number of complaints about abusive and
racist posts to some newsgroups from someone purporting to be
member of staff at Birkbeck College. These posts have *not* been
posted by any member of Birkbeck staff and have in fact been
forged by someone who clearly has some kind of grudge against the
college.

We apologise to anyone who has been an unfortunate recipient of
this diatribe. We would like to make it clear that the recent
abusive posts apparently a member of our staff are forged, are not
from Birkbeck College, and do not reflect the opinions of the
college. It should hardly be necessary to note that the postings
conflict with the College's regulations, and everything that the
College has stood for since its original foundation in 1823.

We are taking appropriate steps to identify the person forging
these messages and are in communication with newsgroup
administrators and the ISPs to which this person has subscribed to.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 4:02:01 PM

From: "CCS Systems Team" <abuse@bbk.ac.uk>

| We have recently received a number of complaints about abusive and
| racist posts to some newsgroups from someone purporting to be
| member of staff at Birkbeck College. These posts have *not* been
| posted by any member of Birkbeck staff and have in fact been
| forged by someone who clearly has some kind of grudge against the
| college.
|
| We apologise to anyone who has been an unfortunate recipient of
| this diatribe. We would like to make it clear that the recent
| abusive posts apparently a member of our staff are forged, are not
| from Birkbeck College, and do not reflect the opinions of the
| college. It should hardly be necessary to note that the postings
| conflict with the College's regulations, and everything that the
| College has stood for since its original foundation in 1823.
|
| We are taking appropriate steps to identify the person forging
| these messages and are in communication with newsgroup
| administrators and the ISPs to which this person has subscribed to.

Thank you for that post.

I have seen such posts in WinXP General. I did not send Birkbeck College a complaint. I
did file a complaint with the ISP of the poster. I know that this situation has also been
discussed with the Microsoft News Server adminiistrator. Mr. Eddy and Birkbeck College.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

"CCS Systems Team" <abuse@bbk.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:D g3n78$k4k$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> We have recently received a number of complaints about abusive and
> racist posts to some newsgroups from someone purporting to be
> member of staff at Birkbeck College. These posts have *not* been
> posted by any member of Birkbeck staff and have in fact been
> forged by someone who clearly has some kind of grudge against the
> college.
>
> We apologise to anyone who has been an unfortunate recipient of
> this diatribe. We would like to make it clear that the recent
> abusive posts apparently a member of our staff are forged, are not
> from Birkbeck College, and do not reflect the opinions of the
> college. It should hardly be necessary to note that the postings
> conflict with the College's regulations, and everything that the
> College has stood for since its original foundation in 1823.
>
> We are taking appropriate steps to identify the person forging
> these messages and are in communication with newsgroup
> administrators and the ISPs to which this person has subscribed to.

Birbeck College? (apologise)?????
September 12, 2005 4:33:26 PM

That's "BirKbeck".

Your point is too obscure to understand. Care to elucidate?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> "CCS Systems Team" <abuse@bbk.ac.uk> wrote in message
> news:D g3n78$k4k$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
>> We have recently received a number of complaints about abusive and
>> racist posts to some newsgroups from someone purporting to be
>> member of staff at Birkbeck College. These posts have *not* been
>> posted by any member of Birkbeck staff and have in fact been
>> forged by someone who clearly has some kind of grudge against the
>> college.
>>
>> We apologise to anyone who has been an unfortunate recipient of
>> this diatribe. We would like to make it clear that the recent
>> abusive posts apparently a member of our staff are forged, are not
>> from Birkbeck College, and do not reflect the opinions of the
>> college. It should hardly be necessary to note that the postings
>> conflict with the College's regulations, and everything that the
>> College has stood for since its original foundation in 1823.
>>
>> We are taking appropriate steps to identify the person forging
>> these messages and are in communication with newsgroup
>> administrators and the ISPs to which this person has subscribed to.
>

> Birbeck College? (apologise)?????

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 7:29:54 PM

> That's "BirKbeck".
>
> Your point is too obscure to understand. Care to elucidate?

He's obviously referring to the British spelling.

Apologise (UK) vs Apologize (US)

As in

Colour (UK) vs Color (US)
Centre (UK) vs Center (US)
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 7:35:24 PM

Hmmm... Mayhaps...

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

>> That's "BirKbeck".
>>
>> Your point is too obscure to understand. Care to elucidate?
>>
> He's obviously referring to the British spelling.
>
> Apologise (UK) vs Apologize (US)
>
> As in
>
> Colour (UK) vs Color (US)
> Centre (UK) vs Center (US)

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 9:23:54 PM

Background:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows...

(See John Eddy's post #21).
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

CCS Systems Team wrote:
> We have recently received a number of complaints about abusive and
> racist posts to some newsgroups from someone purporting to be
> member of staff at Birkbeck College. These posts have *not* been
> posted by any member of Birkbeck staff and have in fact been
> forged by someone who clearly has some kind of grudge against the
> college.
>
> We apologise to anyone who has been an unfortunate recipient of
> this diatribe. We would like to make it clear that the recent
> abusive posts apparently a member of our staff are forged, are not
> from Birkbeck College, and do not reflect the opinions of the
> college. It should hardly be necessary to note that the postings
> conflict with the College's regulations, and everything that the
> College has stood for since its original foundation in 1823.
>
> We are taking appropriate steps to identify the person forging
> these messages and are in communication with newsgroup
> administrators and the ISPs to which this person has subscribed to.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 9:58:56 PM

> That's "BirKbeck".
>
> Your point is too obscure to understand. Care to elucidate?

I thought they mispelled apologize (apologise) so I mispelled Birkbeck (Birbeck)
:)

> "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
> > Birbeck College? (apologise)?????
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 9:58:57 PM

Hokay! It's as Hugh surmised.

Hey, with all the Brits I communicate with these days, I forget how to spell
'Murican-style quite often.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User