will the Opty 165 support DDR2

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
The guy is right. Current generation Opterons only support DDR, because their memory controller is integrated onto the CPU. It really doesn't make much practical difference though as they are still great chips.

If you are interested, the Whole reason AMD is releasing socket AM2 in a few weeks is to support DDR2, though I don't think the Opteron 1xx series will initially be available in AM2.

duke8989

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
yeah thanks, that will be nice i am thinking of selling my current x2 3800+ and picking up and OPTY 165 just beacause i heard it has a nice long life, stable silicon, and really nice overclock options. So, yeah i am drooling over that and a new Watercooling System, but i look at my wallet and i realize how empty it is. lol

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
The current AMD chips, and I mean ALL of them, don't support DDR2! Only chips designed for the AM2 socket will have DDR2 support, not socket 939 chips.

duke8989

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
yep, i was confused cause i was reading an article about an interview with the CEO of OCZ and he says they had some DDR3 ram in developement but nothing like that would show up till 2008. I just assumed we were already on DDR2 , but it looks like that it proably wont be common until next year. I wanna see how the AM2 Sockets come out , i might just run my 3800 till i get an am2 i need to upgrade my ram also , so ill see how everything plays out. I hope the AM2's have some characteristics of the opteron: nice silicon, good life, and good overclocking. I guess we are all just waiting here with our hands in our pockets. The am2 reviews even on THG are uncertain on how they will come out. Hopefully AMD keeps up this winning streak.

sandmannight

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
yeah thanks, that will be nice i am thinking of selling my current x2 3800+ and picking up and OPTY 165 just beacause i heard it has a nice long life, stable silicon, and really nice overclock options. So, yeah i am drooling over that and a new Watercooling System, but i look at my wallet and i realize how empty it is. lol

Watercooling aint that bad.

Thermaltake bigwater-150
VGA waterblock-45
coolant-30
Thats all