Cheap or VOIP Remote Call Forwarding Service question.

Last response: in Networking
November 7, 2004 1:51:53 PM

Hi,

I've had both my phone and my fax numbers for a long time and I will
be moving very soon. Things are a little tough lately and I need to
save money so I will disconnect both phone lines but I want to keep
the numbers. I want to forward my main phone line to my cell phone and
my fax number to a fax to email service. I'm also planning to get
service from broadvoice or vonage so it would be great if I could get
a forwarding service that could forward my main phone line to both my
cell phone and my voip number simoultaneously. Broadvoice offers a
service called Simoultaneous Ring:
http://www.broadvoice.com/features_premium.html#simulta...
But this service is only offered if you have a line with them.

My concern is that the local telco would charge $16+tax for each
remote call forward, basically very close to the price of a plain
phone line, most probably $45 to $50 total a month for just forwarding
service to a local phone. I would pay $10 to $15 a month total for
both lines forward to my new numbers.

My question is: Is there a VOIP or local telco company that I could
port out my main numbers to them to provide me with ONLY call forward
or remote call forward of these numbers and don't charge as much as
large local telco's charge for this service? I would like to have the
capability of dialing a number with a passcode and be able to change
which number I want to forward my number to (like regular Remote Call
Forward) or a website where I could do this. As a last resort I
wouldn't even mind having to call a customer service line to ask them
to change the remote call forward number to something else, most
probably as soon as I configure the call forward for the first time I
won't need to do it again, but just in case I would like to have the
capability of doing it somehow. I also have an Asterisk server that I
could run from my cablemodem if there's a better option/service using
that.

Thank you in advanced.

JO.
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 7:08:06 AM

jeod20@hotmail.com (Jesus Orozco) writes:

>My concern is that the local telco would charge $16+tax for each
>remote call forward, basically very close to the price of a plain
>phone line,

You will probably save on some of the fees though. I learned that
I would no longer have to pay one that was $6.50.

>My question is: Is there a VOIP or local telco company that I could
>port out my main numbers to them to provide me with ONLY call forward
>or remote call forward of these numbers and don't charge as much as
>large local telco's charge for this service?

My interest has been forwarding to a VoIP provider for VoIP (not
forwarding) service so I haven't check on this. I'd bet that a
company like LiveVoIP would work out something with you. They're
in the process of announcing a bunch of DID service areas. At
$0.017/minute, I suspect you'd pay a lot less than you would
through the telco.

>I would like to have the
>capability of dialing a number with a passcode and be able to change
>which number I want to forward my number to (like regular Remote Call
>Forward) or a website where I could do this. As a last resort I
>wouldn't even mind having to call a customer service line to ask them
>to change the remote call forward number to something else, most
>probably as soon as I configure the call forward for the first time I
>won't need to do it again, but just in case I would like to have the
>capability of doing it somehow.

Remote call forwarding here has the same fee (~$34, I think) for
establishing *or* modifying service. Be careful if you go the
telco route.

>I also have an Asterisk server that I
>could run from my cablemodem if there's a better option/service using
>that.

Oh! Well, sure. If you're willing to use VoIP to your house then it
gets easy. You don't have to use Asterisk, but it can give you some
flexibility...for voice, at least. I haven't gotten faxing to work
yet.

Check services like VoicePulse Connect!, BroadVoice and LiveVoIP to
see if they have service in your area. If they do, grab a Sipura
SPA-2000 and you're on your way. Post here if you need help.

--kyler
!