Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

REPLACING CORRUPTED WINDOWS FILES

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 5:31:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Besides .DLL and .DRV files that can become corrupted and effect your
"windows operating system files" are there any other file associations that
can effect things? For example every so often I will swap out my "kernel32"
file and my system performance improves significantly. Or sometimes I will
re-install WIN98 over the top of my current WIN98 (saving my setups), and
alot of times that fixes error problems as well. My specific example this
time is when I go to the "START", "SETTINGS" then "FOLDER OPTIONS" I only
have two tabs that are usable "GENERAL" and "VIEW" The third tab has no
description but when I go to hit it I get an error. Those are the little
types of things like that I am trying to fix without starting all over. If
anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 5:48:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

The specific problem you refer to is probably due to Registry corruption. The
Registry consists of two or more files that are dynamic in nature. You can't
simply replace them with standard copies like you can with files. You can,
however, restore backups that are made daily (unless you've disabled Scan
Registry at startup.) But this is only useful to fix problems that you know
occurred within the last five days or so. Registry corruption is usually due to
bad RAM or hard drive.

The rest of the things you report suggest to me that you have serious problems,
whether hard drive or RAM or more centrally located on the MoBo. That much
corruption is not acceptable.

I'm not sure what you mean by "swapping out" kernel32.dll, but if it really
improves behavior, and then that behavior slowly deteriorates, I suggest that
you may have malware involved. Likewise, reinstalling over the top is usually
not recommended, since you're overwriting updated files with older versions,
resulting in DLL Hell (unmatched system files.) If it actually improves
behavior, it would indicate serious problems in the hardware, or malware
invasion, that is being temporarily ameliorated. I suggest that you are going
from a really bad situation to only a bad situation by reinstalling over the
top.

All in all, I think you have serious hardware problems. You should get the
appropriate hard drive testing utility for your brand of hard drive, and you
should test your RAM using something like DocMemory from www.simmtester.com
(Testing RAM also tends to test other central processing hardware.) If you find
that all appear to be healthy, then you need to look at malware being involved,
and or bad computing habits like installing lots of different stuff without
regard to quality. Two articles I suggest for your reading pleasure:
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"mrbigbry" <mrbigbry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:59288AED-DC9E-43F5-9B9F-36DB769844E6@microsoft.com...
> Besides .DLL and .DRV files that can become corrupted and effect your
> "windows operating system files" are there any other file associations that
> can effect things? For example every so often I will swap out my "kernel32"
> file and my system performance improves significantly. Or sometimes I will
> re-install WIN98 over the top of my current WIN98 (saving my setups), and
> alot of times that fixes error problems as well. My specific example this
> time is when I go to the "START", "SETTINGS" then "FOLDER OPTIONS" I only
> have two tabs that are usable "GENERAL" and "VIEW" The third tab has no
> description but when I go to hit it I get an error. Those are the little
> types of things like that I am trying to fix without starting all over. If
> anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 7:05:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> The specific problem you refer to is probably due to Registry corruption. The
> Registry consists of two or more files that are dynamic in nature. You can't
> simply replace them with standard copies like you can with files. You can,
> however, restore backups that are made daily (unless you've disabled Scan
> Registry at startup.) But this is only useful to fix problems that you know
> occurred within the last five days or so. Registry corruption is usually due to
> bad RAM or hard drive.
>
> The rest of the things you report suggest to me that you have serious problems,
> whether hard drive or RAM or more centrally located on the MoBo. That much
> corruption is not acceptable.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "swapping out" kernel32.dll, but if it really
> improves behavior, and then that behavior slowly deteriorates, I suggest that
> you may have malware involved. Likewise, reinstalling over the top is usually
> not recommended, since you're overwriting updated files with older versions,
> resulting in DLL Hell (unmatched system files.) If it actually improves
> behavior, it would indicate serious problems in the hardware, or malware
> invasion, that is being temporarily ameliorated. I suggest that you are going
> from a really bad situation to only a bad situation by reinstalling over the
> top.
>
> All in all, I think you have serious hardware problems. You should get the
> appropriate hard drive testing utility for your brand of hard drive, and you
> should test your RAM using something like DocMemory from www.simmtester.com
> (Testing RAM also tends to test other central processing hardware.) If you find
> that all appear to be healthy, then you need to look at malware being involved,
> and or bad computing habits like installing lots of different stuff without
> regard to quality. Two articles I suggest for your reading pleasure:
> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "mrbigbry" <mrbigbry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:59288AED-DC9E-43F5-9B9F-36DB769844E6@microsoft.com...
> > Besides .DLL and .DRV files that can become corrupted and effect your
> > "windows operating system files" are there any other file associations that
> > can effect things? For example every so often I will swap out my "kernel32"
> > file and my system performance improves significantly. Or sometimes I will
> > re-install WIN98 over the top of my current WIN98 (saving my setups), and
> > alot of times that fixes error problems as well. My specific example this
> > time is when I go to the "START", "SETTINGS" then "FOLDER OPTIONS" I only
> > have two tabs that are usable "GENERAL" and "VIEW" The third tab has no
> > description but when I go to hit it I get an error. Those are the little
> > types of things like that I am trying to fix without starting all over. If
> > anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
>
> Thank you for the information. Actually I do back up my registry all of the time, I just have this one problem with the "folder options" section, (it is the only problem i have right now) actually my system is running the best it has in a long time. You do bring up an interesting point about the RAM memory however. Every once in a while 64mg of one of my 128mg strips does not load, I will then get notified, and all of a sudden, I only have 192mg of my 256mg. (have two 128strips). I then will reboot and the problem goes away. It only happens once in a while. The simms tester website you provided must be nonfunctional or something because the tester software just shows an error when you try to download it, do you know any other SIMMS tester sites? Also the "folder options" error I described to you I have had for EONS. I just thought I would fix it if I could. I can go back in time in my registry to the point where I might find it but I may never find where to correct it in
the REGISTRY because it has been so long ago and there will be many numerous changes to check through. Would you know about where in the registry that the corruption could be at regarding the "folder options" area, or I am just better off leaving it alone since i never have needed to use it anyway? Thanks Oh yeah, FYI I swapped my Kernal32.dll file in DOS. I simply rename a new kernal32 file in 'windows" like( "Kernal32A.dll). Then in DOS I delete the old "kernal32.dll file and then rename my "kernal32A" to "Kernal32" and go back into windows.
Related resources
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 7:22:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

I think you'd be wise to pull that 64MB stick permanently.

I still don't understand how replacing KERNEL32.DLL would accomplish anything
*unless* it has been replaced by some other app--like a malware app. Otherwise,
it escapes me how it would make any difference at all.

I think Brian might have your answer with regard to the Folder Options problem.
Otherwise, I can't give you any further hints, mostly because I don't have a 98
system handy to look around. I'm not even absolutely certain that the problem is
in the Registry, and not due to corrupt of mismatched system files.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"mrbigbry" <mrbigbry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:728CD680-DC2E-4E5A-906A-CAFFEE1F4851@microsoft.com...
>
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
>> The specific problem you refer to is probably due to Registry corruption. The
>> Registry consists of two or more files that are dynamic in nature. You can't
>> simply replace them with standard copies like you can with files. You can,
>> however, restore backups that are made daily (unless you've disabled Scan
>> Registry at startup.) But this is only useful to fix problems that you know
>> occurred within the last five days or so. Registry corruption is usually due
>> to
>> bad RAM or hard drive.
>>
>> The rest of the things you report suggest to me that you have serious
>> problems,
>> whether hard drive or RAM or more centrally located on the MoBo. That much
>> corruption is not acceptable.
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by "swapping out" kernel32.dll, but if it really
>> improves behavior, and then that behavior slowly deteriorates, I suggest that
>> you may have malware involved. Likewise, reinstalling over the top is usually
>> not recommended, since you're overwriting updated files with older versions,
>> resulting in DLL Hell (unmatched system files.) If it actually improves
>> behavior, it would indicate serious problems in the hardware, or malware
>> invasion, that is being temporarily ameliorated. I suggest that you are going
>> from a really bad situation to only a bad situation by reinstalling over the
>> top.
>>
>> All in all, I think you have serious hardware problems. You should get the
>> appropriate hard drive testing utility for your brand of hard drive, and you
>> should test your RAM using something like DocMemory from www.simmtester.com
>> (Testing RAM also tends to test other central processing hardware.) If you
>> find
>> that all appear to be healthy, then you need to look at malware being
>> involved,
>> and or bad computing habits like installing lots of different stuff without
>> regard to quality. Two articles I suggest for your reading pleasure:
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>
>> "mrbigbry" <mrbigbry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:59288AED-DC9E-43F5-9B9F-36DB769844E6@microsoft.com...
>> > Besides .DLL and .DRV files that can become corrupted and effect your
>> > "windows operating system files" are there any other file associations that
>> > can effect things? For example every so often I will swap out my
>> > "kernel32"
>> > file and my system performance improves significantly. Or sometimes I will
>> > re-install WIN98 over the top of my current WIN98 (saving my setups), and
>> > alot of times that fixes error problems as well. My specific example this
>> > time is when I go to the "START", "SETTINGS" then "FOLDER OPTIONS" I only
>> > have two tabs that are usable "GENERAL" and "VIEW" The third tab has no
>> > description but when I go to hit it I get an error. Those are the little
>> > types of things like that I am trying to fix without starting all over. If
>> > anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
>>
>> Thank you for the information. Actually I do back up my registry all of the
>> time, I just have this one problem with the "folder options" section, (it is
>> the only problem i have right now) actually my system is running the best it
>> has in a long time. You do bring up an interesting point about the RAM
>> memory however. Every once in a while 64mg of one of my 128mg strips does
>> not load, I will then get notified, and all of a sudden, I only have 192mg of
>> my 256mg. (have two 128strips). I then will reboot and the problem goes away.
>> It only happens once in a while. The simms tester website you provided must
>> be nonfunctional or something because the tester software just shows an error
>> when you try to download it, do you know any other SIMMS tester sites? Also
>> the "folder options" error I described to you I have had for EONS. I just
>> thought I would fix it if I could. I can go back in time in my registry to
>> the point where I might find it but I may never find where to correct it in
> the REGISTRY because it has been so long ago and there will be many numerous
> changes to check through. Would you know about where in the registry that the
> corruption could be at regarding the "folder options" area, or I am just
> better off leaving it alone since i never have needed to use it anyway?
> Thanks Oh yeah, FYI I swapped my Kernal32.dll file in DOS. I simply rename a
> new kernal32 file in 'windows" like( "Kernal32A.dll). Then in DOS I delete
> the old "kernal32.dll file and then rename my "kernal32A" to "Kernal32" and go
> back into windows.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 8:16:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

If you're constantly or frequently replacing corrupted files, I suggest a
totally new fresh install. Backup all of your important data files, make sure
you have the ProductKey - 25 characters in sets of 5 (Not the Product ID).

A possible fix for the current situation is to re-register the appropriate
file linked to your OS/IE version.
Start > Run, type: regsvr32.exe /i shdocvw.dll and press Enter.

Win98/IE5 the file is shdoc401.dll
Win98/IE6 the file is shdocvw.dll

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
Conflicts start where information lacks.
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375




"mrbigbry" <mrbigbry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:59288AED-DC9E-43F5-9B9F-36DB769844E6@microsoft.com...
> Besides .DLL and .DRV files that can become corrupted and effect your
> "windows operating system files" are there any other file associations that
> can effect things? For example every so often I will swap out my "kernel32"
> file and my system performance improves significantly. Or sometimes I will
> re-install WIN98 over the top of my current WIN98 (saving my setups), and
> alot of times that fixes error problems as well. My specific example this
> time is when I go to the "START", "SETTINGS" then "FOLDER OPTIONS" I only
> have two tabs that are usable "GENERAL" and "VIEW" The third tab has no
> description but when I go to hit it I get an error. Those are the little
> types of things like that I am trying to fix without starting all over. If
> anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
!