Accessibility Wizard

When I boot, I keep getting a message from Accessibility Wizard:
There was a problem loading the file specified when running the
Accessibility Wizard.

What file? I haven't specified any file and I don't run Accessibility
Wizard. Why is it doing this and how can I make it stop?

A poster from another group directed me to
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win98.disks.general/browse_frm/thread/3ed1cd387d17df21
for a possible solution.

But when I disabled Accessibility Wizard and rebooted, I got this message:

Windows cannot find ACCWIZ.EXE.

This program is needed for opening files of type 'CNV File'.

Location of ACCWIZ.EXE:

C:\

When I tried to enable Accessibility Wizard, I got a message telling me to
reinsert my Windows 98 CD. I did and I thought that Accessibility Wizard was
reloaded. I rebooted and....

I'm getting the same message:
There was a problem loading the file specified when running the
Accessibility Wizard.

I haven't a clue what to do.

Thanks!
19 answers Last reply
More about accessibility wizard

    See
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion/search?q=%22problem+loading+the+file+specified+when+running+the+accessibility+wizard%22&start=0&scoring=d&hl=en
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    GratefulIdiot wrote:
    > When I boot, I keep getting a message from Accessibility Wizard:
    > There was a problem loading the file specified when running the
    > Accessibility Wizard.
    >
    > What file? I haven't specified any file and I don't run Accessibility
    > Wizard. Why is it doing this and how can I make it stop?
    >
    > A poster from another group directed me to
    > http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win98.disks.general/browse_frm/thread/3ed1cd387d17df21
    > for a possible solution.
    >
    > But when I disabled Accessibility Wizard and rebooted, I got this message:
    >
    > Windows cannot find ACCWIZ.EXE.
    >
    > This program is needed for opening files of type 'CNV File'.
    >
    > Location of ACCWIZ.EXE:
    >
    > C:\
    >
    > When I tried to enable Accessibility Wizard, I got a message telling me to
    > reinsert my Windows 98 CD. I did and I thought that Accessibility Wizard
    > was reloaded. I rebooted and....
    >
    > I'm getting the same message:
    > There was a problem loading the file specified when running the
    > Accessibility Wizard.
    >
    > I haven't a clue what to do.
    >
    > Thanks!

    The Accessibility Wizard should not be associated with the .CNV file extension.
    Most likely on your machine, that association would not have *any* association.

    Click Start> Settings> Folder Options> File Types tab, and scroll the list for a
    file type that, when selected, shows the .cnv file extension as what is uses. If
    that file type only shows the one extension (.cnv) you can remove the file type by
    selecting it and clicking the remove button, then clicking OK/Close.

    Post back if you need more detail, or if you find the file type and it has more than
    one extension associated with it.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "GratefulIdiot" <GratefulIdiot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I boot, I keep getting a message from Accessibility Wizard:
    > There was a problem loading the file specified when running the
    > Accessibility Wizard.
    >
    > What file? I haven't specified any file and I don't run Accessibility
    > Wizard. Why is it doing this and how can I make it stop?
    >
    > A poster from another group directed me to

    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win98.disks.general/browse_frm/thread/3ed1cd387d17df21
    > for a possible solution.
    >
    > But when I disabled Accessibility Wizard and rebooted, I got this message:
    >
    > Windows cannot find ACCWIZ.EXE.
    >
    > This program is needed for opening files of type 'CNV File'.
    >
    > Location of ACCWIZ.EXE:
    >
    > C:\
    >
    > When I tried to enable Accessibility Wizard, I got a message telling me to
    > reinsert my Windows 98 CD. I did and I thought that Accessibility Wizard was
    > reloaded. I rebooted and....
    >
    > I'm getting the same message:
    > There was a problem loading the file specified when running the
    > Accessibility Wizard.
    >
    > I haven't a clue what to do.
    >
    > Thanks!

    I don't know what files the Accessilibility Wizard should be assoicated with.
    I only get the error message when I start up the computer; I don't get it
    when I download files or at any other time.

    I followed your instructions and removed the CNV file from the list of file
    types. I then disabled the Accessibility Wizard and rebooted.

    I'm now getting an OPEN WITH message.
    Click the program you want to use to open the file'MSWRD632.CNV'.
    If the program you want is not in the list, click Other
    Description of 'CNV' files:
    <a blank box>
    What kind of a Microsoft Word file is that?

    Thanks!

    "glee" wrote:

    > The Accessibility Wizard should not be associated with the .CNV file extension.
    > Most likely on your machine, that association would not have *any* association.
    >
    > Click Start> Settings> Folder Options> File Types tab, and scroll the list for a
    > file type that, when selected, shows the .cnv file extension as what is uses. If
    > that file type only shows the one extension (.cnv) you can remove the file type by
    > selecting it and clicking the remove button, then clicking OK/Close.
    >
    > Post back if you need more detail, or if you find the file type and it has more than
    > one extension associated with it.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "GratefulIdiot" <GratefulIdiot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I boot, I keep getting a message from Accessibility Wizard:
    > > There was a problem loading the file specified when running the
    > > Accessibility Wizard.
    > >
    > > What file? I haven't specified any file and I don't run Accessibility
    > > Wizard. Why is it doing this and how can I make it stop?
    > >
    > > A poster from another group directed me to
    > >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win98.disks.general/browse_frm/thread/3ed1cd387d17df21
    > > for a possible solution.
    > >
    > > But when I disabled Accessibility Wizard and rebooted, I got this message:
    > >
    > > Windows cannot find ACCWIZ.EXE.
    > >
    > > This program is needed for opening files of type 'CNV File'.
    > >
    > > Location of ACCWIZ.EXE:
    > >
    > > C:\
    > >
    > > When I tried to enable Accessibility Wizard, I got a message telling me to
    > > reinsert my Windows 98 CD. I did and I thought that Accessibility Wizard was
    > > reloaded. I rebooted and....
    > >
    > > I'm getting the same message:
    > > There was a problem loading the file specified when running the
    > > Accessibility Wizard.
    > >
    > > I haven't a clue what to do.
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    I did a search on that file and it's in C:\Program Files\Common
    Files\Microsoft Shared\TEXTCONV

    There are 14 .cnv files, including Mswrd632.cnv.

    Any suggestions?
    What does this have to do with the Accesibility Wizard? Should I enable that?

    Thanks again.

    "GratefulIdiot" wrote:

    > I don't know what files the Accessilibility Wizard should be assoicated with.
    > I only get the error message when I start up the computer; I don't get it
    > when I download files or at any other time.
    >
    > I followed your instructions and removed the CNV file from the list of file
    > types. I then disabled the Accessibility Wizard and rebooted.
    >
    > I'm now getting an OPEN WITH message.
    > Click the program you want to use to open the file'MSWRD632.CNV'.
    > If the program you want is not in the list, click Other
    > Description of 'CNV' files:
    > <a blank box>
    > What kind of a Microsoft Word file is that?
    >
    > Thanks!

    You appear to have a rogue startup command. Most likely, all you want to do is
    get rid of the command. In order to locate that command, please run MSINFO32
    (from the Start\Run box.) Expand "Software Environment", then click on "Startup
    Programs". Look for any mention of that filename in the right-hand pane, then
    take note of what is says in parentheses between the name of the item and the
    command line. Example

    Scan Registry (Machine Run) scanregw.exe /autorun

    The notation I'm looking for in the above case is (Machine Run). But it might be
    Machine Service, or Per-User Run or Startup Group, etc.

    If you can't locate that line, we'll need to see the whole list in order to come
    up with some possible other ideas. You can copy out that whole list by clicking
    anywhere in the right-hand pane, then press Ctrl-A to Select All, then Ctrl-C to
    Copy. Open a reply to this message and use Ctrl-V to Paste in the list.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    >I did a search on that file and it's in C:\Program Files\Common
    > Files\Microsoft Shared\TEXTCONV
    >
    > There are 14 .cnv files, including Mswrd632.cnv.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    > What does this have to do with the Accesibility Wizard? Should I enable that?
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > "GratefulIdiot" wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know what files the Accessilibility Wizard should be assoicated with.
    >> I only get the error message when I start up the computer; I don't get it
    >> when I download files or at any other time.
    >>
    >> I followed your instructions and removed the CNV file from the list of file
    >> types. I then disabled the Accessibility Wizard and rebooted.
    >>
    >> I'm now getting an OPEN WITH message.
    >> Click the program you want to use to open the file'MSWRD632.CNV'.
    >> If the program you want is not in the list, click Other
    >> Description of 'CNV' files:
    >> <a blank box>
    >> What kind of a Microsoft Word file is that?
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    As Gary stated, there is likely an incorrect command in your startup group, that
    needs to be removed.

    Click Start>Run, type MSINFO32 and click OK.
    In the left pane of the System Information window, click the + sign to expand the
    "Software Environment" category.
    In the left pane, click to select "Startup Programs"....they will appear in a list
    on the right.
    Press Ctrl-A on the keyboard, which will highlight everything in the list on the
    right.
    Press Ctrl-C to copy the list to the 'clipboard'.
    Open a reply to this message, click in the body of the message and press Ctrl-V to
    paste the list from the clipboard to the message, and post back to this thread.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "GratefulIdiot" <GratefulIdiot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I did a search on that file and it's in C:\Program Files\Common
    > Files\Microsoft Shared\TEXTCONV
    >
    > There are 14 .cnv files, including Mswrd632.cnv.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    > What does this have to do with the Accesibility Wizard? Should I enable that?
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > "GratefulIdiot" wrote:
    >
    > > I don't know what files the Accessilibility Wizard should be assoicated with.
    > > I only get the error message when I start up the computer; I don't get it
    > > when I download files or at any other time.
    > >
    > > I followed your instructions and removed the CNV file from the list of file
    > > types. I then disabled the Accessibility Wizard and rebooted.
    > >
    > > I'm now getting an OPEN WITH message.
    > > Click the program you want to use to open the file'MSWRD632.CNV'.
    > > If the program you want is not in the list, click Other
    > > Description of 'CNV' files:
    > > <a blank box>
    > > What kind of a Microsoft Word file is that?
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    I hope you're right and that this is just a minor problem.

    Here is the list that I copied per your instructions.

    Office Startup Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
    Shared\TEXTCONV\MSWRD632.CNV" -b
    Microsoft Find Fast Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE"
    Crystal 3D Audio Control Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\CWD3DSND.EXE
    Microsoft Office Shortcut Bar Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    Office\Office\MSOFFICE.EXE"
    Taskbar Display Controls Registry (Per-User Run) RunDLL
    deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\taskmon.exe
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    BayMgr Registry (Machine Run) DockApp.exe
    POINTER Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    Hardware\Mouse\point32.exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe
    powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe
    powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe

    Thanks!

    "GratefulIdiot" <GratefulIdiot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5B96EAC8-F5B1-4F2F-92B1-9023AEFE86B6@microsoft.com...
    >I hope you're right and that this is just a minor problem.

    I'm right. It's a minor problem, but I'll be danged if I can figure out how it happened.

    > Office Startup Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\TEXTCONV\MSWRD632.CNV" -b

    That's the problem, right there (above). Click on Start, then Programs, then the Startup folder. Right click the shortcut named "Office Startup" and Delete.
    It's a bit more complicated, since that command should lead to OSA.EXE, not MSWRD632.CNV. But OSA is not really needed. In fact, OSA tends to get restored automatically by various procedures. More on that later, after you report back with your version of Office.

    > Microsoft Find Fast Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE"

    This is Office's indexing service and it's an abomination. You should uninstall this. However, we need to know what version of Office you're using in order to know how best to do this. Are you running Office 97, 2000, or 2002(XP)?

    > Crystal 3D Audio Control Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\CWD3DSND.EXE
    > Microsoft Office Shortcut Bar Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSOFFICE.EXE"

    This provides the Office taskbar (on your Desktop) full of shortcuts for launching Office apps. If you really use this and it isn't bothering you, fine, leave it. Myself, I don't install this item.

    > Taskbar Display Controls Registry (Per-User Run) RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY

    I, personally, would not want QuickRes.

    > BayMgr Registry (Machine Run) DockApp.exe

    I would assume that you have hot-swappable hard drive(s) and that you need this app.

    > SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
    > POINTER Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Mouse\point32.exe
    > TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\taskmon.exe
    > SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    > LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    > LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme

    The rest are "normal". However, you are missing a critical item called Scan Registry. I ask you to run MSCONFIG, then look in the Startup tab for "Scan Registry". If it's there but unchecked, put a check mark back in. If there are any other unchecked items in the Startup tab, report back with their names.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > "GratefulIdiot" <GratefulIdiot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5B96EAC8-F5B1-4F2F-92B1-9023AEFE86B6@microsoft.com...
    >I hope you're right and that this is just a minor problem.

    Could this particular problem have occurred because I deleted CNV from File
    Types? Per Glee's instructions, I clicked Start> Settings> Folder Options >
    File Types tab. CNV was a File Type.

    > I'm right. It's a minor problem, but I'll be danged if I can figure out how it happened.
    >
    > > Office Startup Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\TEXTCONV\MSWRD632.CNV" -b
    >
    > That's the problem, right there (above). Click on Start, then Programs, then the Startup folder. Right click the shortcut named "Office Startup" and Delete.
    > It's a bit more complicated, since that command should lead to OSA.EXE, not MSWRD632.CNV. But OSA is not really needed. In fact, OSA tends to get restored automatically by various procedures. More on that later, after you report back with your version of Office.

    Done. Office 97.

    > > Microsoft Find Fast Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE"
    >
    > This is Office's indexing service and it's an abomination. You should uninstall this. However, we need to know what version of Office you're using in order to know how best to do this. Are you running Office 97, 2000, or 2002(XP)?

    Done. Office 97.

    > > Crystal 3D Audio Control Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\CWD3DSND.EXE
    > > Microsoft Office Shortcut Bar Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSOFFICE.EXE"
    >
    > This provides the Office taskbar (on your Desktop) full of shortcuts for launching Office apps. If you really use this and it isn't bothering you, fine, leave it. Myself, I don't install this item.

    Done. I usually turn it off. It's annoying.

    > > Taskbar Display Controls Registry (Per-User Run) RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
    >
    > I, personally, would not want QuickRes.
    >
    > > BayMgr Registry (Machine Run) DockApp.exe
    >
    > I would assume that you have hot-swappable hard drive(s) and that you need this app.

    Haven't uninstalled QuickRes. Don't know if that's the problem. Don't know
    if I have hot-swappable hard drives(s). This is a Dell Latitude CP. It does
    have swappable floppy, CD, and DVD modules.

    > > SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
    > > POINTER Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Mouse\point32.exe
    > > TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\taskmon.exe

    > > SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    > > LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    > > LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    >
    > The rest are "normal". However, you are missing a critical item called Scan Registry. I ask you to run MSCONFIG, then look in the Startup tab for "Scan Registry". If it's there but unchecked, put a check mark back in. If there are any other unchecked items in the Startup tab, report back with their names.

    Scan Registry is not there. Why is this critical item missing? Everything
    else is checked.

    Thanks again. I'm going to reboot before I send this.

    Just rebooted and no error messages. But that annoying Microsoft Office
    Shortcut Bar is still there. I thought I disabled that. Should I be concerned
    about the missing Scan Registry?

    > Could this particular problem have occurred because I deleted CNV from File
    > Types? Per Glee's instructions, I clicked Start> Settings> Folder Options >
    > File Types tab. CNV was a File Type.

    No. If I recall correctlly, you had a one error before you did that, and a
    different one afterwards. Both were the result of the same command. Before
    Glen's fix, the CNV file was attempting to open using Accessibility Wizard. When
    you removed that particular piece of erroneous association (the code that told
    Windows to use AW to launch CNV files) it then hit another wall--no code to tell
    it what application to use to open a CNV file. The *real* problem is that there
    shouldn't be a CNV file launching at startup in the first place.

    I've deleted most of the previous content simply because it was getting messy.
    But here's my response. Before going any farther, however, you should run
    MSCONFIG and, if it's not already set to "Normal Startup" on the General tab,
    make it so. Click OK, but *do_not* restart when prompted.

    Don't worry about OSA. You most likely wouldn't gain anything from having it
    launching at startup, and as I said, it has a tendency to restore itself,
    anyway, though I don't know how common that was in Office 97.

    Here's the instruction for getting rid of FindFast.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;158705

    I, personally, would want to use the option that's mentioned in the article to
    use the Office 97 Setup procedure to actually uninstall it, rather than just
    disabling it. Either way, be sure to delete all the indices, as instructed,
    first. If you use this method, I think you'll also have a chance to uninstall
    the Shortcut Toolbar. Not sure what to say about that Shortcut Toolbar except
    that perhaps you confused shortcuts in the Startup menu. But I think I'd want to
    get rid of it, period, if possible

    You want to leave BayMgr enabled. It lets you swap a floppy drive out and a CD
    drive in without turning off the system.

    I have since discovered that QuickRes wasn't what I was thinking of. It's a
    taskbar icon for easily accessing and changing display options. Unless it bugs
    you, I'd leave it alone.

    You really, really want Scan Registry in your Startup Programs. In order to
    restore it, you'll need to run REGEDIT and edit the Registry directly. However,
    you want to make sure you have a Registry backup before doing that, so first,
    use the Start\Run box to run the following:

    scanregw

    This will check the integrity of your Registry and then offer to make a backup.
    If this operation fails, post back for further instructions before continuing.

    Assuming the scanreg backup has taken place, run REGEDIT.
    Expand (click on + sign) HKEY_Local_Machine
    Expand Software, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion. Locate and
    click on the key (folder) named Run. Go to File menu, Export, and save the
    export to your Desktop (where it will be easy to find.) Then right-click the Run
    key and choose New>String Value. Name it "Scan Registry", then press <Enter>
    twice. Enter the following string, exactly as written:

    scanreg /autorun

    Press <Enter> to finish the job.

    I think that covers everything, but we're always open, <s>.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    No. CNV should not be in the list of registered file types. The error message you
    are currently getting is because there is an erroneous entry in the startup
    group....the first one in your list....as Gary has already pointed out.
    --
> [...]

    > > > SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    > > > LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe
    powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    > > > LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe
    powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme

    > > The rest are "normal". However, you are missing a critical item called Scan
    Registry. I ask you to run MSCONFIG, then look in the Startup tab for "Scan
    Registry". If it's there but unchecked, put a check mark back in. If there are any
    other unchecked items in the Startup tab, report back with their names.

    > Scan Registry is not there. Why is this critical item missing? Everything
    > else is checked.
    >
    > Thanks again. I'm going to reboot before I send this.
    >
    > Just rebooted and no error messages. But that annoying Microsoft Office
    > Shortcut Bar is still there. I thought I disabled that. Should I be concerned

    An easier way to add that entry to the Registry is to download this .reg file to the
    desktop or My Documents, then right-click the .reg file and click Merge on the menu
    that appears, and OK the confirmation messages:
    http://home.mindspring.com/~glee29/files/scanreg.reg
    --

    > "GratefulIdiot" <GratefulIdiot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > You really, really want Scan Registry in your Startup Programs. In order to
    > restore it, you'll need to run REGEDIT and edit the Registry directly. However,
    > you want to make sure you have a Registry backup before doing that, so first,
    > use the Start\Run box to run the following:

    Yup! That would be easier, <g>.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > An easier way to add that entry to the Registry is to download this .reg file
    > to the
    > desktop or My Documents, then right-click the .reg file and click Merge on the
    > menu
    > that appears, and OK the confirmation messages:
    > http://home.mindspring.com/~glee29/files/scanreg.reg
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    >> "GratefulIdiot" <GratefulIdiot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> You really, really want Scan Registry in your Startup Programs. In order to
    >> restore it, you'll need to run REGEDIT and edit the Registry directly.
    >> However,
    >> you want to make sure you have a Registry backup before doing that, so first,
    >> use the Start\Run box to run the following:

    I'll bet yours kind of works, BUT mine is bigger than yours...!...

    ScanRegistry c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun

    And so is Glee's...

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "ScanRegistry"="C:\\WINDOWS\\scanregw.exe /autorun"

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Yup! That would be easier, <g>.
    |
    | --
    | Gary S. Terhune
    | MS-MVP Shell/User
    |
    | "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    | > An easier way to add that entry to the Registry is to download this
    ..reg file
    | > to the
    | > desktop or My Documents, then right-click the .reg file and click
    Merge on the
    | > menu
    | > that appears, and OK the confirmation messages:
    | > http://home.mindspring.com/~glee29/files/scanreg.reg
    | > --
    | > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    | > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    | >

    | > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | >> "GratefulIdiot" <GratefulIdiot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    | >> You really, really want Scan Registry in your Startup Programs. In
    order to
    | >> restore it, you'll need to run REGEDIT and edit the Registry
    directly.
    | >> However,
    | >> you want to make sure you have a Registry backup before doing that,
    so first,
    | >> use the Start\Run box to run the following:

    Shouldn't be necessary unless there's a problem with the PATH statement, and it
    won't work at all if the %WINDIR% isn't C:\Windows, ;<)

    If there's a problem with the PATH statement, it's time to fix it! An error will
    result upon the next restart if that's the case.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > I'll bet yours kind of works, BUT mine is bigger than yours...!...
    >
    > ScanRegistry c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
    >
    > And so is Glee's...
    >
    > REGEDIT4
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    > "ScanRegistry"="C:\\WINDOWS\\scanregw.exe /autorun"
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > | Yup! That would be easier, <g>.
    > |
    > | --
    > | Gary S. Terhune
    > | MS-MVP Shell/User
    > |
    > | "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    > | > An easier way to add that entry to the Registry is to download this
    > .reg file
    > | > to the
    > | > desktop or My Documents, then right-click the .reg file and click
    > Merge on the
    > | > menu
    > | > that appears, and OK the confirmation messages:
    > | > http://home.mindspring.com/~glee29/files/scanreg.reg
    > | > --
    > | > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > | > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > | >

    > | > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > message
    > order to
    > directly.
    > so first,

    Sounds likes Glen's method is the easiest way to go! I'll give it a try.

    Also, per Gary's instructions on running MSCONFIG and setting "Normal
    Startup" on the General tab, why should I NOT restart when prompted?

    And I also get rid of FindFast and, I hope, the Shortcut Toolbar.

    I know this is a dumb question, but why do I want the Scan Registry? The
    laptop is running just fine with all of the help from you guys.

    Thank you all for being here.

    | Shouldn't be necessary unless there's a problem with the PATH
    statement, and it
    | won't work at all if the %WINDIR% isn't C:\Windows, ;<)

    That is true. One would hope, though, if %WINDIR% were other than
    "C:\Windows", the poster would be aware of it. I guess an install of
    Windows to a new folder would be the rare thing to change it, to...
    Windows.000, I venture to recall.

    | If there's a problem with the PATH statement, it's time to fix it! An
    error will
    | result upon the next restart if that's the case.

    I guess. STILL, why chance some mishap in
    Config.sys/Autoexec.bat/Registry to muss the PATH will also muss a boot?

    | --
    | Gary S. Terhune
    | MS-MVP Shell/User

    | > I'll bet yours kind of works, BUT mine is bigger than yours...!...
    | >
    | > ScanRegistry c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
    | >
    | > And so is Glee's...
    | >
    | > REGEDIT4
    | >
    | > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    | > "ScanRegistry"="C:\\WINDOWS\\scanregw.exe /autorun"
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | > | Yup! That would be easier, <g>.
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > | Gary S. Terhune
    | > | MS-MVP Shell/User
    | > |

    > | If there's a problem with the PATH statement, it's time to fix it! An
    > error will
    > | result upon the next restart if that's the case.
    >
    > I guess. STILL, why chance some mishap in
    > Config.sys/Autoexec.bat/Registry to muss the PATH will also muss a boot?

    Here, you've totally lost me. If the PATH doesn't include %WINDIR%, it's not
    likely to boot, anyway. At that point, who *cares* whether Scanregw /autorun
    will run or not?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    | > | If there's a problem with the PATH statement, it's time to fix it!
    An
    | > error will
    | > | result upon the next restart if that's the case.
    | >
    | > I guess. STILL, why chance some mishap in
    | > Config.sys/Autoexec.bat/Registry to muss the PATH will also muss a
    boot?

    | Here, you've totally lost me. If the PATH doesn't include %WINDIR%,
    it's not
    | likely to boot, anyway. At that point, who *cares* whether Scanregw
    /autorun
    | will run or not?

    I was thinking PATH has a measure of volitility that can be avoided with
    an explicit reference. However, could be, %WINDIR% is critical to a boot
    & the healthy running of Windows afterwards, yea, beyond Scanregw
    /autorun considerations. OK, fine!

    | --
    | Gary S. Terhune
    | MS-MVP Shell/User