Can't Open My Computer, tries to install another program

Hi guys. I recently helped the dad of a friend of mine who had his
machine infected with some serious spyware and trojans. I think I got
rid of most of it. He told me that ever since he's had the computer
back he can't open "my computer" off of his desktop. I'm unclear as to
if he can get to it from the start menu. This was the email he sent me.

"As we discussed on the phone, every time I go to the "My Computer"
icon on my lap top desktop screen it sends me to a very specific intall
program. The program is a "Blue Print" program. I can't work around it.

As a matter of fact: I've tried to uninstall that specific program. I
uninstall and it doesn't go away."

I've searched for malware named "blue print" and "blueprint" and
haven't found anything. I'm pretty lost. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Blake

It is possible some system files may be corrupted or missing and you may need
to reinstall win98, especially if it has been there ever since he has had the
computer. As far as the Trojans that you found of his, there may be some
extra curricular activity going on there, LOL.

"GoCoogs" <blaketheturtle@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "As we discussed on the phone, every time I go to the "My Computer"
> icon on my lap top desktop screen it sends me to a very specific intall
> program. The program is a "Blue Print" program. I can't work around it.
>
> As a matter of fact: I've tried to uninstall that specific program. I
> uninstall and it doesn't go away."

1. If the PC user is unable or unwilling to run
a competent AV app, he can try brute force:
2. Identify the name of the Blueprint malware
via Ctl Alt Del (which displays the names of
active apps.)
3. Locate the malware EXE file on the hard drive
(via Explorer, which should therefore be set to
/View all files including hidden files.)
4. DELete this EXE. It will probably be necessary
to do so in DOS (to override Windows protections.)
5. Reboot. There will probably be error messages
(malware file Not Found) which will hint which
INI files call it, i.e. should be edited.
6. The OP did not confirm the PC user has an
instal CD and the right booting floppy for his installation.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Right click My Computer.

What is the default (i.e. bold) action in the menu?

What happens if you select "Open" and "Explore" actions?

--
Mikhail Zhilin
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)