Recycle Bins - files not displaying

I can't see files in my recycle bin (either on my C or D drives). I know
there are files there. In Windows Explorer I can click on properties for the
recycle bins and it tells me the number of files and folders and the MB used.
In fact, everything looks normal except I can't see the files. I suspect I
just have to turn something on, but I don't know what.

I tried various options in "View" in windows explorer, but nothing wants to
make the files display.

I've seen some mention of norton being a problem. I cleaned out all my
Norton files (I think) when Norton started causing my system to crash after
one of the liveupdates messed up my computer (I now use McAffee). However, if
I run Norton undelete utility directly from the CD, it does indeed find the
deleted files (but doesn't tell me where they are).

It's not the end of the work, but it would a lot easier if I could just see
the files and use the recycle bin they it's supposed to work.

Suggestions anyone?

What Norton product did you have installed? Was it just the anti-virus, or was it
SystemWorks?

If SystemWorks, did you disable the use of the Protected Recycle Bin before doing a
*complete* uninstall of SystemWorks? Did you use the SystemWorks entry in Control
Panel> Add/Remove Programs to do the uninstall?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Peter B" <Peter B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I can't see files in my recycle bin (either on my C or D drives). I know
> there are files there. In Windows Explorer I can click on properties for the
> recycle bins and it tells me the number of files and folders and the MB used.
> In fact, everything looks normal except I can't see the files. I suspect I
> just have to turn something on, but I don't know what.
>
> I tried various options in "View" in windows explorer, but nothing wants to
> make the files display.
>
> I've seen some mention of norton being a problem. I cleaned out all my
> Norton files (I think) when Norton started causing my system to crash after
> one of the liveupdates messed up my computer (I now use McAffee). However, if
> I run Norton undelete utility directly from the CD, it does indeed find the
> deleted files (but doesn't tell me where they are).
>
> It's not the end of the work, but it would a lot easier if I could just see
> the files and use the recycle bin they it's supposed to work.
>
> Suggestions anyone?

You can take a repair set (in cab-archive) for Recycle Bin from my site,
www.aha.ru/~mwz/files/bin-fix.cab

Right click this link, and select "Save target as...". Double click the
downloaded archive, select all 3 files in it, move them to the Desktop, and
read BinFix.txt.

If you run BinFix.reg (double click it, and confirm merging) -- it will remove
all the addendums like Norton Protected Bin, and restore Recycle Bin as it was
after the fresh Win98 installation. So if you need Norton Protected Bin -- you
have to reinstall it after that.

Delete the extracted files after the job is done.

--
Mikhail Zhilin
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I can't see files in my recycle bin (either on my C or D drives). I know
>there are files there. In Windows Explorer I can click on properties for the
>recycle bins and it tells me the number of files and folders and the MB used.
>In fact, everything looks normal except I can't see the files. I suspect I
>just have to turn something on, but I don't know what.
>
>I tried various options in "View" in windows explorer, but nothing wants to
>make the files display.
>
>I've seen some mention of norton being a problem. I cleaned out all my
>Norton files (I think) when Norton started causing my system to crash after
>one of the liveupdates messed up my computer (I now use McAffee). However, if
>I run Norton undelete utility directly from the CD, it does indeed find the
>deleted files (but doesn't tell me where they are).
>
>It's not the end of the work, but it would a lot easier if I could just see
>the files and use the recycle bin they it's supposed to work.
>
>Suggestions anyone?

The "Recycle bin" is a "hidden file" by default. Hit "START", "SETTINGS"
then "FOLDER OPTIONS" under the "VIEW" tab make sure your "HIDDEN FILES"
section is marked as "SHOW ALL FILES".

"Mikhail Zhilin" wrote:

> You can take a repair set (in cab-archive) for Recycle Bin from my site,
> www.aha.ru/~mwz/files/bin-fix.cab
>
> Right click this link, and select "Save target as...". Double click the
> downloaded archive, select all 3 files in it, move them to the Desktop, and
> read BinFix.txt.
>
> If you run BinFix.reg (double click it, and confirm merging) -- it will remove
> all the addendums like Norton Protected Bin, and restore Recycle Bin as it was
> after the fresh Win98 installation. So if you need Norton Protected Bin -- you
> have to reinstall it after that.
>
> Delete the extracted files after the job is done.
>
> --
> Mikhail Zhilin
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
> Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
> Please reply to the newsgroups only.
> ======
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:40:02 -0700, "Peter B" <Peter
> B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I can't see files in my recycle bin (either on my C or D drives). I know
> >there are files there. In Windows Explorer I can click on properties for the
> >recycle bins and it tells me the number of files and folders and the MB used.
> >In fact, everything looks normal except I can't see the files. I suspect I
> >just have to turn something on, but I don't know what.
> >
> >I tried various options in "View" in windows explorer, but nothing wants to
> >make the files display.
> >
> >I've seen some mention of norton being a problem. I cleaned out all my
> >Norton files (I think) when Norton started causing my system to crash after
> >one of the liveupdates messed up my computer (I now use McAffee). However, if
> >I run Norton undelete utility directly from the CD, it does indeed find the
> >deleted files (but doesn't tell me where they are).
> >
> >It's not the end of the work, but it would a lot easier if I could just see
> >the files and use the recycle bin they it's supposed to work.
> >
> >Suggestions anyone?

Start Windows Explorer, highlight the Recycle bin in the left window,
click once in the right window, then try holding down the "Ctrl" key
while pressing the plus key on the numeric keypad.

Ben

"Peter B" <Peter B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16CD1605-1E80-4143-83D8-F0B5885B5503@microsoft.com...
> I can't see files in my recycle bin (either on my C or D drives). I know
> there are files there. In Windows Explorer I can click on properties for the
> recycle bins and it tells me the number of files and folders and the MB used.
> In fact, everything looks normal except I can't see the files. I suspect I
> just have to turn something on, but I don't know what.
>
> I tried various options in "View" in windows explorer, but nothing wants to
> make the files display.
>
> I've seen some mention of norton being a problem. I cleaned out all my
> Norton files (I think) when Norton started causing my system to crash after
> one of the liveupdates messed up my computer (I now use McAffee). However, if
> I run Norton undelete utility directly from the CD, it does indeed find the
> deleted files (but doesn't tell me where they are).
>
> It's not the end of the work, but it would a lot easier if I could just see
> the files and use the recycle bin they it's supposed to work.
>
> Suggestions anyone?

Systemworks. I didn't disable use of the Protected Recycle Bin, but I would
have used either the add/remove programs or the uninstall feature of
Systemworks (if it had one...I can't remember).

I also went through registry to remove entries that referred to Norton or
Symantec.

Subsequently I reinstalled Systemworks with a custom install, installing
ONLY Ghost so that I could image the drives.

"glee" wrote:

> What Norton product did you have installed? Was it just the anti-virus, or was it
> SystemWorks?
>
> If SystemWorks, did you disable the use of the Protected Recycle Bin before doing a
> *complete* uninstall of SystemWorks? Did you use the SystemWorks entry in Control
> Panel> Add/Remove Programs to do the uninstall?
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Peter B" <Peter B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I can't see files in my recycle bin (either on my C or D drives). I know
> > there are files there. In Windows Explorer I can click on properties for the
> > recycle bins and it tells me the number of files and folders and the MB used.
> > In fact, everything looks normal except I can't see the files. I suspect I
> > just have to turn something on, but I don't know what.
> >
> > I tried various options in "View" in windows explorer, but nothing wants to
> > make the files display.
> >
> > I've seen some mention of norton being a problem. I cleaned out all my
> > Norton files (I think) when Norton started causing my system to crash after
> > one of the liveupdates messed up my computer (I now use McAffee). However, if
> > I run Norton undelete utility directly from the CD, it does indeed find the
> > deleted files (but doesn't tell me where they are).
> >
> > It's not the end of the work, but it would a lot easier if I could just see
> > the files and use the recycle bin they it's supposed to work.
> >
> > Suggestions anyone?

Thanks Mikhail, but this didn't work. Peter

"Mikhail Zhilin" wrote:

> You can take a repair set (in cab-archive) for Recycle Bin from my site,
> www.aha.ru/~mwz/files/bin-fix.cab
>
> Right click this link, and select "Save target as...". Double click the
> downloaded archive, select all 3 files in it, move them to the Desktop, and
> read BinFix.txt.
>
> If you run BinFix.reg (double click it, and confirm merging) -- it will remove
> all the addendums like Norton Protected Bin, and restore Recycle Bin as it was
> after the fresh Win98 installation. So if you need Norton Protected Bin -- you
> have to reinstall it after that.
>
> Delete the extracted files after the job is done.
>
> --
> Mikhail Zhilin
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
> Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
> Please reply to the newsgroups only.
> ======
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:40:02 -0700, "Peter B" <Peter
> B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I can't see files in my recycle bin (either on my C or D drives). I know
> >there are files there. In Windows Explorer I can click on properties for the
> >recycle bins and it tells me the number of files and folders and the MB used.
> >In fact, everything looks normal except I can't see the files. I suspect I
> >just have to turn something on, but I don't know what.
> >
> >I tried various options in "View" in windows explorer, but nothing wants to
> >make the files display.
> >
> >I've seen some mention of norton being a problem. I cleaned out all my
> >Norton files (I think) when Norton started causing my system to crash after
> >one of the liveupdates messed up my computer (I now use McAffee). However, if
> >I run Norton undelete utility directly from the CD, it does indeed find the
> >deleted files (but doesn't tell me where they are).
> >
> >It's not the end of the work, but it would a lot easier if I could just see
> >the files and use the recycle bin they it's supposed to work.
> >
> >Suggestions anyone?

Thanks for the suggestion Ben, but it didn't work. Peter

"Ben Myers" wrote:

> Start Windows Explorer, highlight the Recycle bin in the left window,
> click once in the right window, then try holding down the "Ctrl" key
> while pressing the plus key on the numeric keypad.
>
> Ben
>
> "Peter B" <Peter B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16CD1605-1E80-4143-83D8-F0B5885B5503@microsoft.com...
> > I can't see files in my recycle bin (either on my C or D drives). I know
> > there are files there. In Windows Explorer I can click on properties for the
> > recycle bins and it tells me the number of files and folders and the MB used.
> > In fact, everything looks normal except I can't see the files. I suspect I
> > just have to turn something on, but I don't know what.
> >
> > I tried various options in "View" in windows explorer, but nothing wants to
> > make the files display.
> >
> > I've seen some mention of norton being a problem. I cleaned out all my
> > Norton files (I think) when Norton started causing my system to crash after
> > one of the liveupdates messed up my computer (I now use McAffee). However, if
> > I run Norton undelete utility directly from the CD, it does indeed find the
> > deleted files (but doesn't tell me where they are).
> >
> > It's not the end of the work, but it would a lot easier if I could just see
> > the files and use the recycle bin they it's supposed to work.
> >
> > Suggestions anyone?

Thanks Mrbigbry, but this was already the setting. Peter

"mrbigbry" wrote:

> The "Recycle bin" is a "hidden file" by default. Hit "START", "SETTINGS"
> then "FOLDER OPTIONS" under the "VIEW" tab make sure your "HIDDEN FILES"
> section is marked as "SHOW ALL FILES".
>
> "Mikhail Zhilin" wrote:
>
> > You can take a repair set (in cab-archive) for Recycle Bin from my site,
> > www.aha.ru/~mwz/files/bin-fix.cab
> >
> > Right click this link, and select "Save target as...". Double click the
> > downloaded archive, select all 3 files in it, move them to the Desktop, and
> > read BinFix.txt.
> >
> > If you run BinFix.reg (double click it, and confirm merging) -- it will remove
> > all the addendums like Norton Protected Bin, and restore Recycle Bin as it was
> > after the fresh Win98 installation. So if you need Norton Protected Bin -- you
> > have to reinstall it after that.
> >
> > Delete the extracted files after the job is done.
> >
> > --
> > Mikhail Zhilin
> > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> > http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
> > Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
> > Please reply to the newsgroups only.
> > ======
> > On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:40:02 -0700, "Peter B" <Peter
> > B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I can't see files in my recycle bin (either on my C or D drives). I know
> > >there are files there. In Windows Explorer I can click on properties for the
> > >recycle bins and it tells me the number of files and folders and the MB used.
> > >In fact, everything looks normal except I can't see the files. I suspect I
> > >just have to turn something on, but I don't know what.
> > >
> > >I tried various options in "View" in windows explorer, but nothing wants to
> > >make the files display.
> > >
> > >I've seen some mention of norton being a problem. I cleaned out all my
> > >Norton files (I think) when Norton started causing my system to crash after
> > >one of the liveupdates messed up my computer (I now use McAffee). However, if
> > >I run Norton undelete utility directly from the CD, it does indeed find the
> > >deleted files (but doesn't tell me where they are).
> > >
> > >It's not the end of the work, but it would a lot easier if I could just see
> > >the files and use the recycle bin they it's supposed to work.
> > >
> > >Suggestions anyone?

You don't say what version of Systemworks, and you also don't say if you have any
sign of the Norton Protected Recycle Bin currently on your system. The NP Bin adds
more tabs to the Recycle Bin property sheet (viewed when you right-click the Bin on
the Desktop, and click Properties on the menu that appears).

The correct procedure for disabling the NP Bin before uninstalling Systemworks 2003,
is found here in Part 4 of this document:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/docid/2001090708472107?Open&src=&docid=2001092114452606&nsf=nav.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=
or http://snipurl.com/4zvw

On your desktop, right-click the Norton Protected Recycle Bin, and then click
Properties.
On the Recycle Bin tab, in the Title field, change the text to "Recycle Bin."
On the Norton Protection tab, uncheck Enable protection.
Click Empty Protected Files.
Click Purge All.
Click OK.

After emptying the Norton Protected Recycle Bin, go on to the next section, "Part 5:
Removing the Norton SystemWorks registry keys."

If there is no sign of the Norton Protected Recycle Bin, try the procedures listed
in the article linked below, though I recommend going directly to the last procedure
there, to delete the Recycled folders from a DOS boot. If you have more than one
drive/partition, then you must repeat the steps listed for each partition's bin.
How the Recycle Bin Stores Files -
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=136517
--

> Systemworks. I didn't disable use of the Protected Recycle Bin, but I would
> have used either the add/remove programs or the uninstall feature of
> Systemworks (if it had one...I can't remember).
>
> I also went through registry to remove entries that referred to Norton or
> Symantec.
>
> Subsequently I reinstalled Systemworks with a custom install, installing
> ONLY Ghost so that I could image the drives.
>
> "glee" wrote:
>
> > What Norton product did you have installed? Was it just the anti-virus, or was
it
> > SystemWorks?
> >
> > If SystemWorks, did you disable the use of the Protected Recycle Bin before
doing a
> > *complete* uninstall of SystemWorks? Did you use the SystemWorks entry in
Control
> > Panel> Add/Remove Programs to do the uninstall?
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Peter B" <Peter B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I can't see files in my recycle bin (either on my C or D drives). I know
> > > there are files there. In Windows Explorer I can click on properties for the
> > > recycle bins and it tells me the number of files and folders and the MB used.
> > > In fact, everything looks normal except I can't see the files. I suspect I
> > > just have to turn something on, but I don't know what.
> > >
> > > I tried various options in "View" in windows explorer, but nothing wants to
> > > make the files display.
> > >
> > > I've seen some mention of norton being a problem. I cleaned out all my
> > > Norton files (I think) when Norton started causing my system to crash after
> > > one of the liveupdates messed up my computer (I now use McAffee). However, if
> > > I run Norton undelete utility directly from the CD, it does indeed find the
> > > deleted files (but doesn't tell me where they are).
> > >
> > > It's not the end of the work, but it would a lot easier if I could just see
> > > the files and use the recycle bin they it's supposed to work.
> > >
> > > Suggestions anyone?

Thanks, Hugh! I ended up deleting the recycled bin folders in my c drive and
my d drive through windows explorer and then rebooted. Windows created new
recycle bins on the reboot and now everything works.

Thanks also for the lead to the useful website!

Cheers,

Peter

"Hugh Candlin" wrote:

> "Peter B" <PeterB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Mrbigbry, but this was already the setting. Peter
> >
> Have a look at this
>
> http://www.geekgirls.com/windows_recycle_bin.htm

Hi Glee,

Thanks for the advice. I ended up fixing the problem by deleting the
recycling bins in both drives through windows explorer and rebooting. Now
everything works.

For information, when the D drive bin was deleting, I saw NProtect show up
as the list of files being deleted flashed by, so the problem might have been
caused by residual Norton files.

Thanks for your help.

Peter

"glee" wrote:

> You don't say what version of Systemworks, and you also don't say if you have any
> sign of the Norton Protected Recycle Bin currently on your system. The NP Bin adds
> more tabs to the Recycle Bin property sheet (viewed when you right-click the Bin on
> the Desktop, and click Properties on the menu that appears).
>
> The correct procedure for disabling the NP Bin before uninstalling Systemworks 2003,
> is found here in Part 4 of this document:
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/docid/2001090708472107?Open&src=&docid=2001092114452606&nsf=nav.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=
> or http://snipurl.com/4zvw
>
> On your desktop, right-click the Norton Protected Recycle Bin, and then click
> Properties.
> On the Recycle Bin tab, in the Title field, change the text to "Recycle Bin."
> On the Norton Protection tab, uncheck Enable protection.
> Click Empty Protected Files.
> Click Purge All.
> Click OK.
>
> After emptying the Norton Protected Recycle Bin, go on to the next section, "Part 5:
> Removing the Norton SystemWorks registry keys."
>
> If there is no sign of the Norton Protected Recycle Bin, try the procedures listed
> in the article linked below, though I recommend going directly to the last procedure
> there, to delete the Recycled folders from a DOS boot. If you have more than one
> drive/partition, then you must repeat the steps listed for each partition's bin.
> How the Recycle Bin Stores Files -
> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=136517
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Peter B" <PeterB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Systemworks. I didn't disable use of the Protected Recycle Bin, but I would
> > have used either the add/remove programs or the uninstall feature of
> > Systemworks (if it had one...I can't remember).
> >
> > I also went through registry to remove entries that referred to Norton or
> > Symantec.
> >
> > Subsequently I reinstalled Systemworks with a custom install, installing
> > ONLY Ghost so that I could image the drives.
> >
> > "glee" wrote:
> >
> > > What Norton product did you have installed? Was it just the anti-virus, or was
> it
> > > SystemWorks?
> > >
> > > If SystemWorks, did you disable the use of the Protected Recycle Bin before
> doing a
> > > *complete* uninstall of SystemWorks? Did you use the SystemWorks entry in
> Control
> > > Panel> Add/Remove Programs to do the uninstall?
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > >

> > > "Peter B" <Peter B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I'm surprised your .reg's didn't cure him. They seem to match what I've
got in Win98SE. One thing: You delete one key & don't replace it...

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA0
02F954E}\DefaultIcon]
"full"="C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\PLUS!\\THEMES\\Jungle Recycle Full.ico,0"
"empty"="C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\PLUS!\\THEMES\\Jungle Recycle Empty.ico,0"
@="C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\PLUS!\\THEMES\\Jungle Recycle Empty.ico,0"

It seems to deal only with icons. It could well be Windows would replace
it at boot with defaults. Maybe it isn't even needed. I'll experiment
upon request, UNLESS you beat me to it or already know the definitive
answer!

.......Quote Bin-Fix.reg........
REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA
002F954E}]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}]
@="Recycle Bin"
"InfoTip"="Contains deleted items you can permanently remove or
restore."

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\DefaultI
con]
@="Shell32.dll,32"
"Empty"="Shell32.dll,31"
"Full"="Shell32.dll,32"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\InProcSe
rver32]
@="shell32.dll"
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\ShellFol
der]
"Attributes"=hex:40,01,00,20

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\shellex\
ContextMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\shellex\
ContextMenuHandlers\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\shellex\
PropertySheetHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\shellex\
PropertySheetHandlers\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\shellex\
ExtShellFolderViews]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\shellex\
ExtShellFolderViews\{5984FFE0-28D4-11CF-AE66-08002B2E1262}]
"PersistMoniker"="file://C:\\WINDOWS\\web\\recycle.htt"
.......EOQ.........................

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
| You can take a repair set (in cab-archive) for Recycle Bin from my
site,
| www.aha.ru/~mwz/files/bin-fix.cab
|
| Right click this link, and select "Save target as...". Double click
the
| downloaded archive, select all 3 files in it, move them to the
Desktop, and
| read BinFix.txt.
|
| If you run BinFix.reg (double click it, and confirm merging) -- it
will remove
| all the addendums like Norton Protected Bin, and restore Recycle Bin
as it was
| after the fresh Win98 installation. So if you need Norton Protected
Bin -- you
| have to reinstall it after that.
|
| Delete the extracted files after the job is done.
|
| --
| Mikhail Zhilin
| MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
| http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
| Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
| Please reply to the newsgroups only.
| ======
| On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:40:02 -0700, "Peter B" <Peter
| B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
|
| >I can't see files in my recycle bin (either on my C or D drives). I
know
| >there are files there. In Windows Explorer I can click on properties
for the
| >recycle bins and it tells me the number of files and folders and the
MB used.
| >In fact, everything looks normal except I can't see the files. I
suspect I
| >just have to turn something on, but I don't know what.
| >
| >I tried various options in "View" in windows explorer, but nothing
wants to
| >make the files display.
| >
| >I've seen some mention of norton being a problem. I cleaned out all
my
| >Norton files (I think) when Norton started causing my system to crash
after
| >one of the liveupdates messed up my computer (I now use McAffee).
However, if
| >I run Norton undelete utility directly from the CD, it does indeed
find the
| >deleted files (but doesn't tell me where they are).
| >
| >It's not the end of the work, but it would a lot easier if I could
just see
| >the files and use the recycle bin they it's supposed to work.
| >
| >Suggestions anyone?

Thanks PCR. Following up on suggestions in some of the other posts, I simply
deleted the recycle bins in both my drives using windows explorer. On reboot
the new recycle bins work fine.

Cheers,

Peter

"PCR" wrote:

> [...]
> suspect I
> | >just have to turn something on, but I don't know what.
> | >
> | >I tried various options in "View" in windows explorer, but nothing
> wants to
> | >make the files display.
> | >
> | >I've seen some mention of norton being a problem. I cleaned out all
> my
> | >Norton files (I think) when Norton started causing my system to crash
> after
> | >one of the liveupdates messed up my computer (I now use McAffee).
> However, if
> | >I run Norton undelete utility directly from the CD, it does indeed
> find the
> | >deleted files (but doesn't tell me where they are).
> | >
> | >It's not the end of the work, but it would a lot easier if I could
> just see
> | >the files and use the recycle bin they it's supposed to work.

That's basically what the last article I linked says to do, except from DOS rather
than from Windows Explorer. I am surprised it worked from within Windows without
complaint. You definitely had left-over Norton problems....glad you got it worked
out. It isn't always that easy.
--

> Thanks, Hugh! I ended up deleting the recycled bin folders in my c drive
and
> my d drive through windows explorer and then rebooted. Windows created new
> recycle bins on the reboot and now everything works.
>
> Thanks also for the lead to the useful website!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter

You are welcome. I am glad that I was able to help out.

I see! That solution was in Zhilin's BinFix.txt (as well as possibly in
Glee's URL)...

......Quote..........
Solution:
Restart in MS-DOS mode and empty Recycle bin from here:

Deltree /y c:\recycled\
Deltree /y d:\recycled\

[etc. -- for all of the drives you have; note the trailing back
slashes].
Restart (Ctrl-Alt-Del).

Windows will re-create Recycle Bin during restart.
......EOQ............

It may be you need to delete something useless & empty the BIN to really
complete the fix. Then, in...
"START button, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
...., it will look like...

C:\>CD c:\recycled

C:\RECYCLED>dir /a /s
Directory of C:\RECYCLED
DESKTOP INI 65 09-17-05 4:59p desktop.ini
1 file(s) 65 bytes

C:\RECYCLED>type desktop.ini
[.ShellClassInfo]

> [...]
| > PropertySheetHandlers\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}]
| > @=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\shellex\
| > ExtShellFolderViews]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\shellex\
| > ExtShellFolderViews\{5984FFE0-28D4-11CF-AE66-08002B2E1262}]
| > "PersistMoniker"="file://C:\\WINDOWS\\web\\recycle.htt"
| > .......EOQ.........................
| >
| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
| > | You can take a repair set (in cab-archive) for Recycle Bin from my
| > |
| > | Right click this link, and select "Save target as...". Double
click
| > the
| > | downloaded archive, select all 3 files in it, move them to the
| > Desktop, and
| > | read BinFix.txt.
| > |
| > | If you run BinFix.reg (double click it, and confirm merging) -- it
| > will remove
| > | all the addendums like Norton Protected Bin, and restore Recycle
Bin
| > as it was
| > | after the fresh Win98 installation. So if you need Norton
Protected
| > Bin -- you
| > | have to reinstall it after that.
| > |
| > | Delete the extracted files after the job is done.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Mikhail Zhilin
| > | MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
| > | http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
| > | Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
| > | Please reply to the newsgroups only.
| > | ======
| > | On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:40:02 -0700, "Peter B" <Peter
| > | B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
| > |
| > know
| > for the
| > MB used.
| > suspect I

| > wants to

| > my
| > after
| > However, if
| > find the

| > just see

| > |

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 17:44:31 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

>I'm surprised your .reg's didn't cure him. They seem to match what I've
>got in Win98SE. One thing: You delete one key & don't replace it...

Yes, you caught that. And it is not a mistake. :)

But I think now, it would be better to correct the line:

"PersistMoniker"="file://C:\\WINDOWS\\web\\recycle.htt"
as
"PersistMoniker"="file://%windir%\\web\\recycle.htt"

(c:\windows is only the default name -- and can be changed while installation;
but usually those, who change this name, read the bat-files before using them
and see such lines).

--
Mikhail Zhilin
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
Please reply to the newsgroups only.
======
>REGEDIT4
>
>[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA0
>02F954E}\DefaultIcon]
>"full"="C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\PLUS!\\THEMES\\Jungle Recycle Full.ico,0"
>"empty"="C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\PLUS!\\THEMES\\Jungle Recycle Empty.ico,0"
>@="C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\PLUS!\\THEMES\\Jungle Recycle Empty.ico,0"
>
>It seems to deal only with icons. It could well be Windows would replace
>it at boot with defaults. Maybe it isn't even needed. I'll experiment
>upon request, UNLESS you beat me to it or already know the definitive
>answer!
>
>......Quote Bin-Fix.reg........
>REGEDIT4
>
>[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}]
>
>[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA
>002F954E}]
>
>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}]
>@="Recycle Bin"
>"InfoTip"="Contains deleted items you can permanently remove or
>restore."
>
>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\DefaultI
>con]
>@="Shell32.dll,32"
>"Empty"="Shell32.dll,31"
>"Full"="Shell32.dll,32"
>
>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\InProcSe
>rver32]
>@="shell32.dll"
>"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"
>
>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\ShellFol
>der]
>"Attributes"=hex:40,01,00,20
>
>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\shellex]
>
>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\shellex\
>ContextMenuHandlers]
>
>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\shellex\
>ContextMenuHandlers\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}]
>@=""
>
>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\shellex\
>PropertySheetHandlers]
>
>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\shellex\
>PropertySheetHandlers\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}]
>@=""
>
>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\shellex\
>ExtShellFolderViews]
>
>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\shellex\
>ExtShellFolderViews\{5984FFE0-28D4-11CF-AE66-08002B2E1262}]
>"PersistMoniker"="file://C:\\WINDOWS\\web\\recycle.htt"
>......EOQ.........................

I THOUGHT it was probably just fine. Well, lucky that "PersistMoniker"
line lit up in blue to prevent my painstaking comparison to go to
naught! Yes, those who change big things like %windir% probably know
they forever need to look before they leap. I'm thinking a possible
exception could be someone who unwittingly installs Windows to a new
folder. So... yea, maybe change it-- & I'll get partial credit! But I do
see...

......Quote..of BinFix.txt........
!!! WARNING!!!
(1) If your Windows folder is not C:\Windows -- open BinFix.reg in
Notepad and change this path in the last line. Double back slashes here
mean the single back slashes in the path.

....is prominent in BinFix.txt. You had it covered.