Sign in with
Your question

CRT Monitor choice -- HELP!

Last response: in Components
May 7, 2006 10:58:18 PM

Don't try and sway me away from getting a CRT -- I already know the pros and cons between it and LCD. I'm trying to decide between a Samsung Syncmaster 997mb or the Viewsonic G90fb4. Anyone still knowledgable about these things anymore, lol...or know that the still exist for that matter?

More about : crt monitor choice

May 7, 2006 11:40:38 PM

Quote:
Don't try and sway me away from getting a CRT -- I already know the pros and cons between it and LCD. I'm trying to decide between a Samsung Syncmaster 997mb or the Viewsonic G90fb4. Anyone still knowledgable about these things anymore, lol...or know that the still exist for that matter?

I agree with you 100%. I have an NEC MultiSync FE700+ (17inch CRT) that

i've had since 2001, and i still love the picture. My wife has a Viewsonic E90B,

which is too bright for my liking, but i've had my eyes on the Syncmaster

997mb myself. The only thing i don't like is the silver/black color.

Not much help, but i like the Samsung myself. To be honest, either one

will probably bring you great enjoyment.
May 7, 2006 11:53:32 PM

P1130. 21 inch. very nice monitor. I use one.
Related resources
May 8, 2006 12:15:25 AM

The eight-year-old 19" Viewsonic mb90 on my desk continues to work exceptionally well after several moves.

The screen quality, for the version of the technology, is great. However, sitting side-by-side, next to a 3.5 year old Trinitron 19" flat screen CRT, the technology difference is noticeable, esp. the dot pitch.

The built in features; the USB hub, the Nakamichi speakers, and subwoofer are all working flawlessly. The only malfunction is a quirky speaker button functionality.
May 8, 2006 12:35:32 AM

I would go with the samsung. That's what I was going to get, but Newegg.com no longer sells it. So now I have to find a decent place to sell me one without it having problems on arrival.
May 8, 2006 1:40:43 AM

ive owned both Samsung and Viewson CRTs and they last like 10 years. But i cant comprehend why you'd still want one. The pros out do the cons. But like you said you dont want the lecture.
May 8, 2006 1:51:34 AM

I've got a NEC FE1250+ and a Viewsonic E90FB and they both are awsome, I'd go viewsonic personally. I've had a couple samsungs and they looked great but they didn't last more than 3 years, both were 17"s though.
May 8, 2006 3:14:37 AM

Quote:
I would go with the samsung. That's what I was going to get, but Newegg.com no longer sells it. So now I have to find a decent place to sell me one without it having problems on arrival.

http://www.pagecomputers.com/store/Product_accessoriesx...

It sells for $197.33 after shipping. I've done my share of searching through major retailers, froogle, and pricegrabber, and I have to say that's the best price you'll find for it.

Oh, yeah -- here's $5 rebate as well. the only stipulation is that you have to review the monitor (painful, I know :p  )

$5 REBATE:http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Samsung_SyncMaster_997mb...

Just click where it says $5 bonus.

I'm currently running on a Viewsonic A90F+ right now. I like it quite a bit. Not as much as the old Trinitron I had, though. But that crapped out a while ago, so oh well. I know that Viewsonic, Samsung, and NEC appear to be the top contenders for monitor manufacturers. I'd feel really comfortable buying another Viewsonic. As I've had the one I currently have for about 3-4 years. I'm really leaning toward getting the Samsung though. I like the looks and ergonomics a bit more, not to mention it's .20mm and a max 1920 x 1440 resolution.

It makes me a little uneasy hearing what Michaelahess just said about Samsungs only lasting about 3 years for him. Has anyone here had any luck or really good experiences with them. I just want more reasons to go ahead and pick one up. I'm also considering to use it side-by-side in a dual monitor array with my current one to.
May 8, 2006 4:39:15 PM

Im running Dual Monitors. a 17" Sony LCd, and a Samsung SyncMAster 700IFT CRT which was bought in 1995-99 ish era. So its been runnin for a while. Go with either or.
May 8, 2006 4:54:42 PM

Damn I love my CRT, but it's taking lotta room
!