Strange result from "Save Picture As".

Hi,

When I display a picture (full screen) on my monitor, right click it,
select "Save Picture As", save it to "My Pictures" folder and then open it
from that folder, I get a big surprise. The original picture was of a deer.
What I see is that of a human!! I've repeated this procedure several times,
with the same result. .

The "deer" picture was part of a "stationery". The "human" picture did
appear elsewhere in the stationery, not when the deer picture was opened. It
filled the screen. The deer picture was saved as .bmp. There was no other
choice.

I would greatly appreciate an explanation, and if possible a way around the
problem.
Thanks.
Andy I. (WIN 98SE; IE/OE 6)
6 answers Last reply
More about strange result save picture

    In news:eiSft4AuFHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    brackenburn <brackenburn@shaw.-delete this bit- ca> had this to say:

    > Hi,
    >
    > When I display a picture (full screen) on my monitor, right click it,
    > select "Save Picture As", save it to "My Pictures" folder and then
    > open it from that folder, I get a big surprise. The original picture
    > was of a deer. What I see is that of a human!! I've repeated this
    > procedure several times, with the same result. .
    >
    > The "deer" picture was part of a "stationery". The "human" picture
    > did appear elsewhere in the stationery, not when the deer picture was
    > opened. It filled the screen. The deer picture was saved as .bmp.
    > There was no other choice.
    >
    > I would greatly appreciate an explanation, and if possible a way
    > around the problem.
    > Thanks.
    > Andy I. (WIN 98SE; IE/OE 6)

    Try cleaning out your temp files. Open IE, click tools, options, delete temp
    files and tick the box to kill offline content as well. That's usually what
    it means when you can only save as .BMP but I'm not so sure why it'd be a
    human instead. I'd try that first.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    Galen wrote:
    > I'm not so sure why it'd be a human instead.

    <Theme from the Twilight Zone playing>

    ....glen

    > In news:eiSft4AuFHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > brackenburn <brackenburn@shaw.-delete this bit- ca> had this to say:

    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > When I display a picture (full screen) on my monitor, right click it,
    > > select "Save Picture As", save it to "My Pictures" folder and then
    > > open it from that folder, I get a big surprise. The original picture
    > > was of a deer. What I see is that of a human!! I've repeated this
    > > procedure several times, with the same result. .
    > >
    > > The "deer" picture was part of a "stationery". The "human" picture
    > > did appear elsewhere in the stationery, not when the deer picture was
    > > opened. It filled the screen. The deer picture was saved as .bmp.
    > > There was no other choice.
    > >
    > > I would greatly appreciate an explanation, and if possible a way
    > > around the problem.
    > > Thanks.
    > > Andy I. (WIN 98SE; IE/OE 6)
    >
    > Try cleaning out your temp files. Open IE, click tools, options, delete temp
    > files and tick the box to kill offline content as well. That's usually what
    > it means when you can only save as .BMP but I'm not so sure why it'd be a
    > human instead. I'd try that first.
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    >
    > "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained his
    > trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you will
    > come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after all."
    >
    > Sherlock Holmes

    Thanks Galen. Followed your suggestion. No change.

    Andy I.

    | Try cleaning out your temp files. Open IE, click tools, options, delete
    temp
    | files and tick the box to kill offline content as well. That's usually
    what
    | it means when you can only save as .BMP but I'm not so sure why it'd be a
    | human instead. I'd try that first.
    |
    | Galen

    Where is the original picture located? On your local system? Is this a website?
    If the latter, can you give us a link so that we can see what's there?
    Stationery can be weird stuff.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "brackenburn" <brackenburn@shaw.-delete this bit- ca> wrote in message
    > Thanks Galen. Followed your suggestion. No change.
    >
    > Andy I.
    >

    > | Try cleaning out your temp files. Open IE, click tools, options, delete
    > temp
    > | files and tick the box to kill offline content as well. That's usually
    > what
    > | it means when you can only save as .BMP but I'm not so sure why it'd be a
    > | human instead. I'd try that first.
    > |
    > | Galen

    Thanks Gary.

    The original "Stationery" was posted to a News Group about a year ago. At
    that time I saved it ("Save As") to My Documents folder and renamed the
    extension from .NWS to EML so that I could E-Mail the Stationery to friends.

    However, I'm not sure how I can send it to a Newsgroup, i.e. this one, so
    you can examine it.

    The good news is I have been able to save the Deer picture. I did this by
    renaming the Stationery extension to .UUE and double-clicking the altered
    icon. This separated the Stationery into four parts as icons, two texts and
    three graphics (background,deer and that !!*?#!! "human".)

    Nevertheless I'd still like to know why I ran into the original problem.
    Thanks again for your interest.

    Andy I.

    | Where is the original picture located? On your local system? Is this a
    website?
    | If the latter, can you give us a link so that we can see what's there?
    | Stationery can be weird stuff.
    |
    | --
    | Gary S. Terhune
    | MS-MVP Shell/User

    Well, feel free to email it to me at grystnews@mvps.org, but I think you've
    already answered your own question. I don't know how Stationery files are built,
    exactly, but the concept of "layers" is perhaps part of it, and whatever you
    were using to view it (Internet Explorer?) only had access to the top layer when
    it saved. That's *one* possibility among many. I'll be able to tell you more
    after I get a chance to play with it.

    --

    > Thanks Gary.
    >
    > The original "Stationery" was posted to a News Group about a year ago. At
    > that time I saved it ("Save As") to My Documents folder and renamed the
    > extension from .NWS to EML so that I could E-Mail the Stationery to friends.
    >
    > However, I'm not sure how I can send it to a Newsgroup, i.e. this one, so
    > you can examine it.
    >
    > The good news is I have been able to save the Deer picture. I did this by
    > renaming the Stationery extension to .UUE and double-clicking the altered
    > icon. This separated the Stationery into four parts as icons, two texts and
    > three graphics (background,deer and that !!*?#!! "human".)
    >
    > Nevertheless I'd still like to know why I ran into the original problem.
    > Thanks again for your interest.
    >
    > Andy I.

    > | Where is the original picture located? On your local system? Is this a
    > website?
    > | If the latter, can you give us a link so that we can see what's there?
    > | Stationery can be weird stuff.
    > |
    > | --
    > | Gary S. Terhune
    > | MS-MVP Shell/User