install 98SE on XP machine

Can someone point me tell me how to install 98SE on a machine already running
XP SP2.It has 2 40 gig hardrives and I would like to install 98SE on the
drive that XP is not on. Thanks.

First thing you'll need is a boot manager, a small utility that is what the
hardware first boots to, which then directs the system to boot from one or the
other (or the third, fourth, etc.) OS partition. Windows XP has its own boot
manager, but if you want to keep these systems totally separate, or perhaps
share a DATA partition where you can store your personal files and access it
from whichever OS is running, and you want to keep your options open in the
future, the easier solution in the long run is to use a third-party solution
like BootIt NG. BING offers a wide range of customization and a very good
partitioning utility as well. Pretty much all you need besides the OS
installations themselves to have all the fun you can handle with multi-booting
scenarios.
www.bootitng.com
(Another popular solution is Partition Magic, though it costs more and I quite
simply prefer BING, anyway.)

So, tell us what you want this system to look like. You want the Win98 OS
partition hidden from the XP partition and vice-versa? (If the XP partition is
an NTFS partition, not FAT32, it will automatically be hidden from the WIn98
side.) For best performance, you'll want the Win98 OS partition to be no larger
than 8GB, with the rest used for data, or another OS partition, or TEMP storage
(a very good idea), etc. Tell us if you can afford the third-party boot manager
or if you're willing to accept the inconvenience of the XP boot manager. Once
you decide on a basic idea, we can get into the gory details (tomorrow, for me.
It's late and I'm headed to bed.)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

Wato wrote:
> Can someone point me tell me how to install 98SE on a machine already running
> XP SP2.It has 2 40 gig hardrives and I would like to install 98SE on the
> drive that XP is not on. Thanks.

If you want two completely independent OS's you need a booting manager
that upon boot of chosen system makes the partition of the unused one
hidden.
Install the boot manager and make it boot XP.
Then configure it to hide the XP partition and invoke the (yet not
installed) win98.
I suppose that the info on the second disk is not important. Create on
it a primary partition, depending on usage 500M--> whole disk and
install win98 on it. Check that it boots from your boot manager.
Now the critical part, configure the boot manager menus in a way that
hides one install from the other.

Good luck.

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla.