clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I'm thinking about buying a CPU but keep seeing hints that socket 939 CPUs will be dropping with the release of AM2 CPUs. So I'm wondering if I should hold off for a discount or buy now before some of the choice socket 939 CPUs go out of production. So my question is, how low will socket 939 CPUs go (% price reduction) over the next couple of months???

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I'm thinking about buying a CPU but keep seeing hints that socket 939 CPUs will be dropping with the release of AM2 CPUs. So I'm wondering if I should hold off for a discount or buy now before some of the choice socket 939 CPUs go out of production. So my question is, how low will socket 939 CPUs go (% price reduction) over the next couple of months???

I would have to say very little until AM2 is at least 50% of shipments. a $400 939 will be $350 if the AM2 is $400.

AMD may drop prices when Conroe comes out, but don't expect them to drop when AM2 comes out because AM2 CPUs are priced higher than S939.

Don't really expect prices to drop much until the AM2 5000+ comes out. That should be about the price of the AM2 4800+, thus forcing other prices down a little. That should also affect S939 CPUs, but not as much.

bilbo3660

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
S939 will stay in production at least till yearend. I think AMD shows it in their roadmap. You have plenty of time to watch prices...starting May 23!

duke8989

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
I have heard that 939 opterons are going out of production because there little use for servers, All servers run the newer 940 opterons.

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
I'm sorry. The Lord Almighty can only be disturbed for truly important matters like the future price of processed silicon. All other queries must be submitted in writing to His earthly second-in-command, Chuck Norris.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
My opinion is that AM2 will drop the socket 939 chips very little if at all. Conroe may cause AMD to drop the price depending on its price/performance, after all AMD must remain competitive :)

CS986

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
I'm sorry. The Lord Almighty can only be disturbed for truly important matters like the future price of processed silicon. All other queries must be submitted in writing to His earthly second-in-command, Chuck Norris.

haha, nice...that made me laugh at 2 am, not much does that.

As far as 939's go, I'd have to agree that they arn't going far in price or availability for quite some time.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think about 5% to 8% when am2 comes out. Untel Conroe then another 5% to 8%. But this would very. I'm Just going by what Amd and Intel P4 did when Amd Athlons 1800 where out. Amd started droping prices. Or when Amd 64 frist came out. Intel started droping prices. It just a wait and see game.

The_Rev

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006

If Chuck Norris is second in command, where does that put Lorenzo Lamas?

linux_0

Splendid
I'm not sure if even AMD knows yet.

I suspect they will decide at a later time.

I believe they have an analysts' meeting sometime soon, that might have some impact on prices.

Certainly increasing competition should drive prices lower :-D

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, the price won't go down, it will stay the same or go up. AMD will quit production and unless the market is flooded at that time, prices will go up as supplies dwindle...or stay the same if supplies dwindle at a slower rate than demand drops.

linux_0

Splendid
Nope, the price won't go down, it will stay the same or go up. AMD will quit production and unless the market is flooded at that time, prices will go up as supplies dwindle...or stay the same if supplies dwindle at a slower rate than demand drops.

:-D

I hope not.

If AM2 doesn't do it I hope coroe's release helps push prices lower.

duke8989

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
I have heard that 939 opterons are going out of production because there little use for servers, All servers run the newer 940 opterons.

d00d, 940 is OLDER than 939
yes but all server/workstations typically use 940(statisitically), 939's arnt selling near as much or whatnot. So on AMD's side it might be cheaper for them to produce only 940's