error extracting support files: interface not registered

I have a Win 98 computer that won't load programs anymore, when trying to
load it comes up with an error:

Error extracting support files:
interface not registered

ok so I googled it and came to the installshield web site
http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q110609 tried thier suggestions
and when I try to update ikernel I get:

an installation support file could not be installed
interface not registered

Any help would be great.
thanks

Rob

Did you try their second suggestion at that link?

1) Install the InstallShield engine.
2) If step 1 didn't resolve the error, try to *manually register* ctor.dll, which is
located in the following InstallShield engine directory:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\engine\6\Intel 32

*How Do I Manually Register a File?*
http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108199

Another procedure that often helps is to Install DCOM98:
http://www.microsoft.com/com/default.mspx

Additionally, before you try installing the InstallShield engine, do the following:

Open Windows Explorer or My Computer.
Browse to the Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield folder.
Right-click the InstallShield folder, click 'Rename', name the folder
InstallShieldOld, and press Enter.

Reboot.
Open the Temp folder and delete all Temp files:
-Click Start>Run, type %temp% and click OK.
-Press Ctrl+A to select all, then press Delete.

Delete the Temporary Internet Files:
Click Start> Settings> Control Panel> Internet Options> General tab.
Click the Delete Files button, then put a checkmark in the box to Delete all
offline content, and click OK, and OK.

Close all open windows and running apps.
Disable your anti-virus and screensaver.
Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, and End Task on everything except Explorer and Systray.

See also:

Q111519 INFO: Troubleshooting Initialization Errors:
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q111519

Q105146 PRB: Ikernel Errors: Class Not Registered, No Such Interface Supported:
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q105146
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"rsnyder97" <rsnyder97@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a Win 98 computer that won't load programs anymore, when trying to
> load it comes up with an error:
>
> Error extracting support files:
> interface not registered
>
> ok so I googled it and came to the installshield web site
> http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q110609 tried thier suggestions
> and when I try to update ikernel I get:
>
> an installation support file could not be installed
> interface not registered
>
> Any help would be great.
> thanks
>
> Rob

ivan1

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
How to download and run SubInACL

Here are some steps that can be used to download and run the SubInACL tool to repair file and registry permissions that are often needed to successfully install programs on Windows, particularly for MSI-based (Windows Installer) setups:
Download the SubInACL tool and install it. By default it will install to c:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools
If you are running Windows Vista, click on the Start menu, choose All Programs, then Accessories, then right-click on the item named Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator
If you are running an OS other than Windows Vista, go to the Start menu, choose Run, type cmd and click OK
In the cmd prompt, type notepad reset.cmd and click yes to open Notepad.exe and create a new text file named reset.cmd
Copy and paste the following contents into reset.cmd (or download it from this location on my file server and rename it from reset.cmd.txt to reset.cmd):

cd /d "%programfiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=restricted=r /grant=YOURUSERNAME=f /setowner=administrators > %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
subinacl /keyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=restricted=r /grant=YOURUSERNAME=f /setowner=administrators >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /grant=everyone=r /grant=restricted=r /setowner=administrators >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
subinacl /keyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /grant=everyone=r /grant=restricted=r /setowner=administrators >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /setowner=administrators >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
subinacl /keyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /setowner=administrators >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt

subinacl /subdirectories %programfiles%\ /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=e >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt

subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\ /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=e >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt

Change the values named YOURUSERNAME to be the Windows user account that you are logged in with.

Note: The YOURUSERNAME value should match the name of your user folder at c:\Documents and Settings (or c:\users on Windows Vista and higher). You can also find the value to use for YOURUSERNAME by launching Task Manager and looking at the user name listed in the User Name column of the Processes tab.

Save and close reset.cmd.
In the cmd prompt, type reset.cmd and press enter to run the SubInACL tool. This tool will take several minutes to run, and it requires that the user account you are using has administrator privileges on the system. This is why it is necessary to run it from an elevated cmd prompt on Windows Vista. Step 2 above can be used to start an elevated cmd prompt on Windows Vista.
After reset.cmd completes, try to install the product that previously failed to install correctly on your system.

Note: There are a couple of scenarios where installing or running SubInAcl can fail. For example, some non-English versions of Windows have the name of the Administrators group translated to another language, and the command lines listed above will fail in that case. I have posted workarounds for the issues that I know of in this separate blog post.

Also note: Running the above command lines will cause SubInAcl to create a log file named %temp%\subinacl_output.txt. If you see any errors reported in the cmd prompt after running SubInAcl, you can look in this log file for more detailed information about what file(s), folder(s) or registry value(s) are causing the errors. To open this log file, you can click on the Start menu, choose Run, type notepad %temp%\subinacl_output.txt and click OK.

When looking at this log file, you may see some errors reported with error code 5. That error code means Access Denied, and it is typically caused by Windows or some other program running on your system that is holding files, folders or registry values in use so that SubInAcl is unable to update the permissions for them. Most of the time, that type of error in the SubInAcl output can be safely ignored, but you may need to try to reboot and then manually fix the permissions for these files, folders or registry keys as a workaround.

You're answering a 4 year-old post that has to do with Windows 98, not XP or higher. Your instructions will likely fall on deaf ears... not to mention they don't apply to Win 98...