Lost Taskbar

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

My neighbor has lost the taskbar on the desktop. It is on the right side of
the screen but the only thing that shows is a grey bar. If you click on it
and try to move it all you get is a left-right arrow and cannot move the
taskbar. System tray does not show and when you minimize a window it does
not show. Also cannot access start button. He is using W 98.

How can I help him retrieve the taskbar and move it to the lower part of
the screen? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Phil

Press the Windows key and it should pop out from where it is on the screen, then
place your pointer on an empty space on the taskbar, press and hold down the
left mouse button, drag it back to the bottom and release the mouse button. To
try to enlarge it press Ctrl + Esc, Alt + space, S, then use arrow keys to
enlarge taskbar, enter

If pressing the Windows key does not work.
Press Ctrl + Esc, use arrow keys to get to Settings > Taskbar and Start Menu.

If the above doesn't work:
Taskbar Missing in Windows 95/98/Me
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;247502

Always make a backup of the registry or the key/s you plan on altering before
making the alterations. This way if something should go amiss, you can import
the key/s back. Incorrectly making changes in your registry can make your system
unusable.

How to Back Up the Registry in Windows 98 and Windows Millennium Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;256419

HOW TO: Backup, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows 95, Windows 98, and
Windows Me
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322754

How to Manually Restore the Windows 98/Me Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;221512

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Phil" <HGG1533@(spamnono).invalid> wrote in message
> My neighbor has lost the taskbar on the desktop. It is on the right side of
> the screen but the only thing that shows is a grey bar. If you click on it
> and try to move it all you get is a left-right arrow and cannot move the
> taskbar. System tray does not show and when you minimize a window it does not
> show. Also cannot access start button. He is using W 98.
>
> How can I help him retrieve the taskbar and move it to the lower part of the
> screen? Any help appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Phil

"Phil" <HGG1533@(spamnono).invalid> wrote in message
> My neighbor has lost the taskbar on the desktop. It is on the right
side of
> the screen but the only thing that shows is a grey bar. If you click
on it
> and try to move it all you get is a left-right arrow and cannot move
the
> taskbar. System tray does not show and when you minimize a window it
does
> not show. Also cannot access start button. He is using W 98.
>
> How can I help him retrieve the taskbar and move it to the lower
part of
> the screen? Any help appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Phil

This will do it, hopefully.

http://eastlrc.valencia.cc.fl.us/tutorials/Win95demo/taskprob_pr.html

Regards,