Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Reinstalling IE8 on 64-bit Win7

Last response: in Windows 7
April 19, 2011 5:17:57 AM

Hello, I am having a heck of a frustrating time with reinstalling IE8 on my laptop, 64-bit WIN7. I installed IE9 and had nothing but problems running certain games and programs so I want to go back to IE8 but when I try to install I get an error message that tells me this program is not supported on my system...? It worked just fine before I installed IE9!! Please help?
a b $ Windows 7
April 19, 2011 7:00:05 AM

What kind of problems? IE should not influence your ability to run other programs. Are you sure you've installed the final release of IE9 and not the beat or release candidate?
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
April 19, 2011 7:26:30 AM

Also, you should have an option to uninstall IE 9... which should automatically revert you back to IE 8... no reinstall necessary. You cannot download an IE 8 installer for Win 7 since IE 8 is what it comes with.

As for games, unless they are browser-based games, you shouldn't have any issues with IE 9 and games. I haven't come across a thing yet that IE 9 has had issues with personally. If you have ActiveX filtering enabled, you have to remember to disable it for pages that run plugins like Java or Flash.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
April 19, 2011 8:00:23 AM

Actually, since you are able to completely remove IE in Windows 7 (mostly due to the antitrust cases against Microsoft) you should be able to run the IE 8 installer.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
April 19, 2011 6:27:26 PM

Download and install IE9, will correct any problems and a better browser.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 20, 2011 6:54:39 AM

das_stig said:
Download and install IE9, will correct any problems and a better browser.

According to OP, installing IE9 is what caused his problem in the first place.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
April 20, 2011 8:02:44 AM

Just uninstall IE 9; that will reinstate IE8.
m
l
April 27, 2011 12:21:45 AM

Zoron said:
Also, you should have an option to uninstall IE 9... which should automatically revert you back to IE 8... no reinstall necessary. You cannot download an IE 8 installer for Win 7 since IE 8 is what it comes with.

As for games, unless they are browser-based games, you shouldn't have any issues with IE 9 and games. I haven't come across a thing yet that IE 9 has had issues with personally. If you have ActiveX filtering enabled, you have to remember to disable it for pages that run plugins like Java or Flash.

I did try to uninstall IE9 under the advice of a friend, and she said the same thing, that it should revert back to IE8 but it never did... I cannot view certain e-bills since I installed IE9, and some parts of certain games on facebook will not load, I get an empty screen, or have to move my cursor around the screen in order for certain things to work. I will check my ActiveX filter, thanks for the tip!
m
l
April 27, 2011 12:23:54 AM

Best answer selected by Scoobisue.
m
l
!