Renaming Setup exe files, etc.

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
September 15, 2005 11:18:23 PM

Hi All,

I save all my program setup.exe files and other files, in case I need
to re-install. Some of the files have names that are not descriptive
of their function. Can I rename them as long as I give them the same
extension, without causing corruption? TIA,

charlie R
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 12:16:34 AM

See no reason why not. I keep each set of program installation files under
a separate descriptive folder/directory. Makes more sense to me.

"charlie R" <welpctSKIPME@psci.net> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I save all my program setup.exe files and other files, in case I need
> to re-install. Some of the files have names that are not descriptive
> of their function. Can I rename them as long as I give them the same
> extension, without causing corruption? TIA,
>
> charlie R

Anonymous
September 16, 2005 1:16:51 PM

Thanks, Dave, that's a good idea. Putting program installation files
in separate folders is one I never thought of.

charlie R
> See no reason why not. I keep each set of program installation
files under
> a separate descriptive folder/directory. Makes more sense to me.
>
> "charlie R" <welpctSKIPME@psci.net> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I save all my program setup.exe files and other files, in case I
need
> > to re-install. Some of the files have names that are not
descriptive
> > of their function. Can I rename them as long as I give them the
same
> > extension, without causing corruption? TIA,
> >
> > charlie R

September 16, 2005 2:37:10 PM

Yes. I rename all of mine if they are not descriptive enough.
I have never had a problem doing that.

It would be extremely rare (I have never struck one) that a renamed
file would cause a problem but if so, rename it back if you use a
logical renaming method.
e.g. I use this terminology:
A setup.exe for WhateverProgram, I would call
WhateverProgram-setup.exe so I could easily rename it back if
necessary.

....Alan
http://dts-l.org/index.html

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 19:18:23 -0500, "charlie R"
<welpctSKIPME@psci.net> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I save all my program setup.exe files and other files, in case I need
>to re-install. Some of the files have names that are not descriptive
>of their function. Can I rename them as long as I give them the same
>extension, without causing corruption? TIA,
>
>charlie R
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 2:37:11 PM

Thanks Alan!