Renaming Setup exe files, etc.

Hi All,

I save all my program setup.exe files and other files, in case I need
to re-install. Some of the files have names that are not descriptive
of their function. Can I rename them as long as I give them the same
extension, without causing corruption? TIA,

charlie R
4 answers Last reply
More about renaming setup files

    See no reason why not. I keep each set of program installation files under
    a separate descriptive folder/directory. Makes more sense to me.

    "charlie R" <welpctSKIPME@psci.net> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I save all my program setup.exe files and other files, in case I need
    > to re-install. Some of the files have names that are not descriptive
    > of their function. Can I rename them as long as I give them the same
    > extension, without causing corruption? TIA,
    >
    > charlie R

    Thanks, Dave, that's a good idea. Putting program installation files
    in separate folders is one I never thought of.

    charlie R
    > See no reason why not. I keep each set of program installation
    files under
    > a separate descriptive folder/directory. Makes more sense to me.
    >
    > "charlie R" <welpctSKIPME@psci.net> wrote in message
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I save all my program setup.exe files and other files, in case I
    need
    > > to re-install. Some of the files have names that are not
    descriptive
    > > of their function. Can I rename them as long as I give them the
    same
    > > extension, without causing corruption? TIA,
    > >
    > > charlie R

    Yes. I rename all of mine if they are not descriptive enough.
    I have never had a problem doing that.

    It would be extremely rare (I have never struck one) that a renamed
    file would cause a problem but if so, rename it back if you use a
    logical renaming method.
    e.g. I use this terminology:
    A setup.exe for WhateverProgram, I would call
    WhateverProgram-setup.exe so I could easily rename it back if
    necessary.

    ....Alan
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 19:18:23 -0500, "charlie R"
    <welpctSKIPME@psci.net> wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >I save all my program setup.exe files and other files, in case I need
    >to re-install. Some of the files have names that are not descriptive
    >of their function. Can I rename them as long as I give them the same
    >extension, without causing corruption? TIA,
    >
    >charlie R

    Thanks Alan!

    charlie R

    "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    > Yes. I rename all of mine if they are not descriptive enough.
    > I have never had a problem doing that.
    >
    > It would be extremely rare (I have never struck one) that a renamed
    > file would cause a problem but if so, rename it back if you use a
    > logical renaming method.
    > e.g. I use this terminology:
    > A setup.exe for WhateverProgram, I would call
    > WhateverProgram-setup.exe so I could easily rename it back if
    > necessary.
    >
    > ...Alan
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows - Internet Explorer
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >
    > On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 19:18:23 -0500, "charlie R"
    > <welpctSKIPME@psci.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi All,
    > >
    > >I save all my program setup.exe files and other files, in case I
    need
    > >to re-install. Some of the files have names that are not
    descriptive
    > >of their function. Can I rename them as long as I give them the
    same
    > >extension, without causing corruption? TIA,
    > >
    > >charlie R

Microsoft Extension Windows