Another "Give me your advice on this build" thread

oxyron

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
I'm looking to build my first system in the near future, and thought I'd post my spec's on here to get some feedback. The computer will be primarily used for gaming, light multi-tasking (I'm an engineering student, so I often run CAD in conjunction with some of my math programs), and general use. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Pricing is from NewEgg, but I will definately shop around before I purchase.

CPU: Athlon 64 X2 4200+ $357
Mobo: Asus A8N-E $89
RAM: Corsair XMS 2GB (1x2 GB) DDR SDRAM TwinX $164
Video: eVGA 7900GT 256MB $289
Mouse: Logitech MX518 $36
Key: Logitech UltraX wired $20
Sound: Audigy 2 ZS $65
HD: WD Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB@7200 RPM $90

A few things:
1. I know I really don't want AM2 necessarily...from what I've been reading, there will only be a 5% increase in performance or something like that. However, is Conroe going to be spectacular that I should wait for that?
2. My video card choice...good/bad? Feel free to suggest something that will perform better, keep it priced under $350
3. I already have a monitor, DVD-ROM and CD/DVD-RW, and speakers, so I don't have those listed.
4. Case. I don't have a case listed, because I don't know whats good or bad. I've seen the Sonata-II recommended on here before. Will the 450w PSU that comes with it be enough for my system? If not, please feel free to suggest a case (a simple one without ridiculous LED's all over it) and PSU that will do the job.
5. I may OC the 4200+, and if I do...I'll be throwing a Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu CPU fan on there. I should be able to get the 4200+ up around the performance of a 4600+ without much difficulty, correct?

Let me know if I have missed anything else that should be included for this build. Thanks..

The_Rev

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
A few things:
1. I know I really don't want AM2 necessarily...from what I've been reading, there will only be a 5% increase in performance or something like that. However, is Conroe going to be spectacular that I should wait for that?
2. My video card choice...good/bad? Feel free to suggest something that will perform better, keep it priced under $350
3. I already have a monitor, DVD-ROM and CD/DVD-RW, and speakers, so I don't have those listed.
4. Case. I don't have a case listed, because I don't know whats good or bad. I've seen the Sonata-II recommended on here before. Will the 450w PSU that comes with it be enough for my system? If not, please feel free to suggest a case (a simple one without ridiculous LED's all over it) and PSU that will do the job.
5. I may OC the 4200+, and if I do...I'll be throwing a Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu CPU fan on there. I should be able to get the 4200+ up around the performance of a 4600+ without much difficulty, correct?

Let me know if I have missed anything else that should be included for this build. Thanks..

I like what I see for the most part... Here is what I can tell you about your questions:

1. AM2 may not seem necessary at the moment, but if you're in no hurry to build this week, it's launching on the 23rd and will give you a better upgrade path for the future. If you decide you want to go with Conroe in the future, you can get a 975x mobo (it will supposedly be compatible w/ Conroe) and plug a cheap P4 in it to hold you over until then.

2. My brother has that video card an likes it a lot, but it doesn't oc very well. Also, eVGA has the Step Up program, which knocks the purchase price of your card off the price of a new one if something better comes along within 90 days... Kinda cool.

4. The Sonata-II would be a perfect fit for your setup.

5. I'm not really all that familiar with oc-ing X2s, but an Opteron 165 is cheaper than a 4200+ and I've heard you can oc that thing to upwards of 2.4GHz on the stock Opteron HSF, though you may need a DFI mobo to pull that off.

Hope that helps... If any of that isn't clear, let me know.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I'm looking to build my first system in the near future, and thought I'd post my spec's on here to get some feedback. The computer will be primarily used for gaming, light multi-tasking (I'm an engineering student, so I often run CAD in conjunction with some of my math programs), and general use. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Pricing is from NewEgg, but I will definately shop around before I purchase.

CPU: Athlon 64 X2 4200+ $357
Mobo: Asus A8N-E $89
RAM: Corsair XMS 2GB (1x2 GB) DDR SDRAM TwinX $164
Video: eVGA 7900GT 256MB $289
Mouse: Logitech MX518 $36
Key: Logitech UltraX wired $20
Sound: Audigy 2 ZS $65
HD: WD Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB@7200 RPM $90

A few things:

1) Conroe won't be out until Q3 (September?) so you will be wait awhile. AM2 will be out May 23, and will give you a better upgrade path, but will require you to buy DDR2 memory. The only way I go AM2 is if AMD shockes the world and releases 65mm CPUs. Otherwise, S939 is fine and the best option.

2) eVGA 7900GT 256MB- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130281
Like that one

3) Ok

4) Sonta II as the other poster suggested wil be really nice.

5) Don't overclock a 4200+. Get an Opteron 165 (less money, double the L2 cache right out of the box) and clock it 2.4-2.6 (FX-60 levels) on the stock cooler. Use the cooler you suggested for even lower temps. Change your motherboard to the $122 DFI Lanparty Ultra D for the best overclock.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Hey prozac,

The PSU that comes with the Sonata II is an Antec SmartPower II at 450w... that is NOT a bad PSU and it comes with the case....

Would agree with you that some lower end cases do not come with a good PSU but the Sonatas I and II actually ship with a great PSU.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Hey prozac,

The PSU that comes with the Sonata II is an Antec SmartPower II at 450w... that is NOT a bad PSU and it comes with the case....

Would agree with you that some lower end cases do not come with a good PSU but the Sonatas I and II actually ship with a great PSU.

oxyron

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
Shadowduck, yes, thats the video card that I was looking at. Seems to meet the general approval here.

Is someone able to educate me with the basics on Conroe? Is Conroe supposed/going to domesticate AM2? I havent seen a whole lot on it, unless I'm just not looking in the right places. I have no brand loyalty to either Intel or AMD...just had preferred AMD for the past computer because of their 64-bit CPUs (but we now see how many programs really take advantage of it :roll: ).

Ive read up on OCing the X2 4200+ and feel comfortable with that...if I went the Opteron path, would the process be similar?

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Hey oxyron,

The Conroe or (Core 2 Duo) as it is now formally called, is a what would be described as a ground up rebuild of the current mobile technologies. They are running a much slower clock but are also acheiving much more work per clock cycle.

Intel has changed from a power hungry high clock lower perfomance architecture to one that now is nearly considered a GREEN processor that might keep your cup of coffee warm if you set it on the processor with the heatsink removed, with a lower clock and a substantial boost in performance.

Its much lower cost 2.6ghz version has been compared to the FX-60 an has in many instances won over an over-clocked version.

This is still mostly speculation though as only Engineering Samples have been made available to a small group in a very directed testing manner.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Shadowduck, yes, thats the video card that I was looking at. Seems to meet the general approval here.

Is someone able to educate me with the basics on Conroe? Is Conroe supposed/going to domesticate AM2? I havent seen a whole lot on it, unless I'm just not looking in the right places. I have no brand loyalty to either Intel or AMD...just had preferred AMD for the past computer because of their 64-bit CPUs (but we now see how many programs really take advantage of it :roll: ).

Ive read up on OCing the X2 4200+ and feel comfortable with that...if I went the Opteron path, would the process be similar?

Process would be the same (Operton 1xx are simply hand picked A64s). As for Conroe, it is Intel's answer to finally catchup with AMD in terms of performance. The main advantage Intel enjoys with Conroe (and now) is the use of 65mm CPUs. AMD is still at 90. Conroe will be a huge step forward for Intel, bringing them equal or ahead of AMD. I personally use only AMD based desktops, but like you I am not bent on any one brand. Core2 Duo should be 64-bit, but there is no telling (the Core Duo for noteooks is 32bit ONLY).

moparman390

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa!

Before you make a big mistake with the video card, get this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130015

It is also an EVGA, they are the best for Nvidia cards hands down, but this one is the just released 7900GT KO model. It is the same thing just the next model up. It is a on a great sale for a buck less and has the KO cooling system that includes a bigger heatsink that covers the RAM and a better fan. Plus everyone who is recieving these reports they are coming at 520MHz GPU/1540MHz Memory. I will recieve one of my two tommorrow, that I just ordered from Newegg, and be able to tell you what clock speed I get. The second one I'm getting comes next week, I'm using my Step-Up from a 7800GT to get that one and adding the one I just bought from Newegg to do an SLI steup.

I would also get the 4400+, I have that processor, it comes with 2x1MB cache instead of 2x512KB cache. That should help you in CAD and those math programs and be worth the extra money.

The X2's come with a nice heatsink and you can easily overclock them up one level without any trouble. My 4400+ is running quite cool with the stock heatsink clocked to 4800+ speeds. If all you intend to overclock is 200MHz (like me) the stock heatsink (it has four heatpipes) is all you will need.

If you want to build now, this is what to do. If you want to push your computer off to August, then go Conroe.