memory & system setup

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
September 15, 2005 11:17:05 PM

i have some questions about win98 and ram. i am building a system based on pc
games from the late 90s, and i want to make sure i have enough ram to support
most of them. tops, they require 64mb, down to about 32.

now i will most likely go with using 64mb, but i am wondering what the most
amount of memory that windows 98 will be able to use, WITHOUT requiring any
additional system adjusting or tweaking? >>>>>> i just wanna buy it, plug it
in and get gaming<<<<<< no editing and adding lines to the system.ini file.
just what is the most amount of ram that windows will run with, and NOT cause
instability problems, crashes, page faults or blue error screens?

i was trying to set up the following system, but PLEASE NOTE, i am not
asking in this discription how to make this system work. this is just for
detail.
-windows 98 first edition
-asus A7V333-X board
-one stick kingston 333mhz 1gb ram
-amd athalon xp 3000+
-3dfx voodoo 4 4500 32mb agp
-sound blaster live
--all with standard default driver packs

.......and no matter what i did i just could not get the system to be stable
even after adjusting entries in system.ini, upgrading to win98SE, or even
winXP. ----but again, i am not asking how to get this particular system
working. please focus on my questions above.

thank you
john

More about : memory system setup

Anonymous
September 15, 2005 11:50:49 PM

Given your requirements, the maximum is 512 MB.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

>i have some questions about win98 and ram. i am building a system based on pc
> games from the late 90s, and i want to make sure i have enough ram to support
> most of them. tops, they require 64mb, down to about 32.
>
> now i will most likely go with using 64mb, but i am wondering what the most
> amount of memory that windows 98 will be able to use, WITHOUT requiring any
> additional system adjusting or tweaking? >>>>>> i just wanna buy it, plug it
> in and get gaming<<<<<< no editing and adding lines to the system.ini file.
> just what is the most amount of ram that windows will run with, and NOT cause
> instability problems, crashes, page faults or blue error screens?
>
> i was trying to set up the following system, but PLEASE NOTE, i am not
> asking in this discription how to make this system work. this is just for
> detail.
> -windows 98 first edition
> -asus A7V333-X board
> -one stick kingston 333mhz 1gb ram
> -amd athalon xp 3000+
> -3dfx voodoo 4 4500 32mb agp
> -sound blaster live
> --all with standard default driver packs
>
> ......and no matter what i did i just could not get the system to be stable
> even after adjusting entries in system.ini, upgrading to win98SE, or even
> winXP. ----but again, i am not asking how to get this particular system
> working. please focus on my questions above.
>
> thank you
> john
September 16, 2005 12:29:03 AM

so gary,

if i use, say 64 or 128mb 333 pc2700 ram, ill have no memory-related
problems in win98?
September 16, 2005 12:42:49 AM

I can't guarantee that. Only that it *should* work with no tweaking necessary.
Win98 is prone to touchiness when you get into the speeds you're discussing. I'd
install with 128MB, then see how it behaves. I'd probably then increase back to
1GB and use the MaxFileCache setting to make it behave. But if it doesn't like
the motherboard, I don't believe there's a lot you can do about that.

See: http://aumha.org/win4/a/memmgmt.htm

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> so gary,
>
> if i use, say 64 or 128mb 333 pc2700 ram, ill have no memory-related
> problems in win98?
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 8:29:40 AM

John wrote:

> just what is the most amount of ram that windows will run with, and NOT cause
> instability problems, crashes, page faults or blue error screens?

Just Windows or any additional application? (hardware drivers,
time-wasting utilities (games), power control and so on...).
Whoever answers this, with any assurance is a "LIAR".
The umpteen giga variables involved make such prediction "sci-fi".

> thank you
> john

Have fun

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 8:42:13 AM

Gary S. Terhune wrote:

> I can't guarantee that. Only that it *should* work with no tweaking
> necessary. Win98 is prone to touchiness when you get into the speeds
> you're discussing. I'd install with 128MB, then see how it behaves. I'd
> probably then increase back to 1GB and use the MaxFileCache setting to
> make it behave. But if it doesn't like the motherboard, I don't believe
> there's a lot you can do about that.
>
> See: http://aumha.org/win4/a/memmgmt.htm

Not related to RAM as far as i know, and this is probably what Gary
means with "Win98 is prone to touchiness when you get into the speeds
you're discussing", but i don't see it mentioned on the link posted,
so ...

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312108/&gt;
msKB #312108 - Windows Protection Error in NDIS with a CPU That Is
Faster Than 2.1 GHz. (Win98SE should be ok regarding this.)

&

>> -amd athalon xp 3000+

an 'AMD Athlon XP 3000+', runs by default at 2167 MHz.

If you run into this, you should be able to down-throttle the CPU-speed
in the BIOS Setup and/or with jumpers on the A7V333-X motherboard until
you've installed the patch from the above link (after you've called in
about your predicament .. or located it on the net somewhere).

Not really "i just wanna buy it, plug it in and get gaming", but at
least it's fixable. :-)

--
Please followup in newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

"John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>i have some questions about win98 and ram. i am building a system based on pc
>games from the late 90s, and i want to make sure i have enough ram to support
>most of them. tops, they require 64mb, down to about 32.
>
>now i will most likely go with using 64mb, but i am wondering what the most
>amount of memory that windows 98 will be able to use, WITHOUT requiring any
>additional system adjusting or tweaking? >>>>>> i just wanna buy it, plug it
>in and get gaming<<<<<< no editing and adding lines to the system.ini file.
>just what is the most amount of ram that windows will run with, and NOT cause
>instability problems, crashes, page faults or blue error screens?
>
>i was trying to set up the following system, but PLEASE NOTE, i am not
>asking in this discription how to make this system work. this is just for
>detail.
>-windows 98 first edition
>-asus A7V333-X board
>-one stick kingston 333mhz 1gb ram
>-amd athalon xp 3000+
>-3dfx voodoo 4 4500 32mb agp
>-sound blaster live
>--all with standard default driver packs
>
>......and no matter what i did i just could not get the system to be stable
>even after adjusting entries in system.ini, upgrading to win98SE, or even
>winXP. ----but again, i am not asking how to get this particular system
>working. please focus on my questions above.
>
>thank you
>john

What sort of entries did you have in system.ini?

The following entry is *mandatory* if you have 1 gb of RAM with
Windows 98:

[vcache]
MaxFileCache=512000

Note that the [vcache] section header is already present in the file
and that the MaxFileCache entry must be immediately below that header.
Putting it into another section or adding a second [vcache] header
will not work.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 1:10:24 PM

If you need to be absolutely sure, keep it below 512Mb. The exact critical
point depends on applications that are loaded, as well as the particular
type and configuration of video. An unusual combination of applications and
very large allocations of memory address space to the video card can cause
problems at exactly 512Mb.

The speed or type of RAM or number and size of the modules doesn't matter to
W98 - if it works for the motherboard it works for Windows.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

!